PDA

View Full Version : Cedeno?


fledgedrallycap
11-07-2003, 09:59 AM
On the MLB Hotstove Report under the NY Mets, the Koch deal might involve Roger Cedeno.

I don't know much about him other than he used to be a speed demon and now Carlos Lee has more steals. Did he get injured? Can he play CF?

"the New York Post reported the Mets are talking to the Chicago White Sox about closer Billy Koch, with outfielder Roger Cedeno mentioned as possibly being part of a deal."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031106&content_id=600254&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

kittle42
11-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Roger Cedeno is a pile of crap. However, Koch is a bigger, smellier pile.

Hope this helps.

RichH55
11-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Roger Cedeno is a pile of crap. However, Koch is a bigger, smellier pile.

Hope this helps.


Incorrect

Cedeno is worse than Koch

Signed for 2 years as opposed to Koch

And if Koch sucks you can more limit where he hurts you, where as you are going to notice that CF who doesn't play D well and doesn't hit

Koch for Cedeno I don't even think about

Grobber33
11-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Hell,they should be willing to dump Koch for nothing at all.. Rememeber when the Sox conned Milwaukee into taking Navarro in 2000 in the Valentin-Eldred deal!
Also, does anyone feel like I do that Ozzie should ORDER Valentin to bat LEFT HANDED all the time? Can his hitting lefty against Southpaws be any worse than his right handed batting against anyone? The Guy claims to want to win,,,and I think he does,but that being the case,why is he so stubborn when it comes to giving up switch hitting???

StepsInSC
11-07-2003, 11:19 AM
I'd rather have Koch than Cedeno and I doubt there is an argument otherwise that could change my mind.

Paulwny
11-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33

Also, does anyone feel like I do that Ozzie should ORDER Valentin to bat LEFT HANDED all the time? Can his hitting lefty against Southpaws be any worse than his right handed batting against anyone? The Guy claims to want to win,,,and I think he does,but that being the case,why is he so stubborn when it comes to giving up switch hitting???


This may be easier said then done. He may feel that he would bail out against a good left handed curveballer.
The heart may be willing but, the right leg says "Let's get the hell out of here".

Grobber33
11-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
This may be easier said then done. He may feel that he would bail out against a good left handed curveballer.
The heart may be willing but, the right leg says "Let's get the hell out of here".

If that's the case,then platoon him with Graffinino who is decent anyway.

fledgedrallycap
11-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Just out of curiousity, why is everyone so against Cedeno? Please cite some examples...

Paulwny
11-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Just out of curiousity, why is everyone so against Cedeno? Please cite some examples...

Read the " Rumors that mets are interested in Koch" thread.
Many answers to your question.

poorme
11-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Just out of curiousity, why is everyone so against Cedeno? Please cite some examples...

Have you looked at his stats?? He's also a horrible defender.

If he came here, it would be his 6th team in 7 years. Does that tell you anything?

npdempse
11-07-2003, 02:21 PM
The New York Post is a steaming pile of crap, far below the (low) quality of either of Chicago's papers. Think Sun-Times meets Weekly World News. I wouldn't believe anything I read from them, especially anything of a "rumored" nature.

kittle42
11-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
The New York Post is a steaming pile of crap, far below the (low) quality of either of Chicago's papers. Think Sun-Times meets Weekly World News. I wouldn't believe anything I read from them, especially anything of a "rumored" nature.

The Post has the best sports section in NYC.

fledgedrallycap
11-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Have you looked at his stats?? He's also a horrible defender.

If he came here, it would be his 6th team in 7 years. Does that tell you anything? .


Have you seen Koch's stats! We are dealing junk for junk, I realize that; but a .267 hitter who at one point stole 60 bags in one year strikes some curiousity for Billy Koch.

kittle42
11-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
.


Have you seen Koch's stats! We are dealing junk for junk, I realize that; but a .267 hitter who at one point stole 60 bags in one year strikes some curiousity for Billy Koch.

I've seen Koch's stats, and I must say I am impressed by his home runs to appearances ratio.

fledgedrallycap
11-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I've seen Koch's stats, and I must say I am impressed by his home runs to appearances ratio.

Absolutely.

jeremyb1
11-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
.


Have you seen Koch's stats! We are dealing junk for junk, I realize that; but a .267 hitter who at one point stole 60 bags in one year strikes some curiousity for Billy Koch.

The problem is that the entire point of dealing Koch is that we're way over budget which will necessitate trading Maggs and/or Carlos at this point. If we can move Koch who makes over 6 million without taking back too much salary in return we can lessen our budget crisis. However, if we get Cedeno who has significantly more money left on his deal than Koch, it completely defeats the point and only compounds our problems. If the Mets are willing to pay enough of Cedeno's salary that we're saving money, then it becomes worth discussing but that seems unlikely.

akingamongstmen
11-09-2003, 01:31 PM
This would be a horrible deal. Cedeno is awful. I've seen him play. He makes a disturbing amount of mental mistakes (think D'Angelo Jimenez as a CF). The difference between Koch and Cedeno is that Billy only sucked for one year (I know...I know...he REALLY sucked), while Cedeno has sucked for prolonged periods of time. I really think that the best thing to do is to hope and pray that Billy can return to his former self. There's a good chance that he'll have his arm strength back after a year in which he didn't throw too often. Plus, he really seems determined to revive his career.

fledgedrallycap
11-09-2003, 02:28 PM
I happen to agree that we should keep Billy Koch, but was just curious what the deal is with Cedeno since on the surface - his stats are not horrible.

RichH55
11-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I happen to agree that we should keep Billy Koch, but was just curious what the deal is with Cedeno since on the surface - his stats are not horrible.

He's a speedster who stole like 25 bases last year, got on base at like a .320 clip....doesn't play particularly good defense...and might have the worst head for the game in baseball(and that is saying something)

jeremyb1
11-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I happen to agree that we should keep Billy Koch, but was just curious what the deal is with Cedeno since on the surface - his stats are not horrible.

I'd argue a .698 OPS for a LF is horrendous.

Huisj
11-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Cedeno is lazy. he sucks. he can't hit. he can't field. he can't steal first base. he can't even steal 2nd anymore, becuase he's never on first.