PDA

View Full Version : Jon Lieber redux?

RichH55
11-07-2003, 04:14 AM
Well he was never as good as Lieber....not even close really, but Ryan Dempster is a FA, undergoing tommy john

Might make sense to pay him to rehab this year and hold an ultra cheap option on him for next year

JDP
11-07-2003, 09:07 AM
I'd almost be scared to see what a career 5.04 NL ERA would translate in the AL.

kittle42
11-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JDP
I'd almost be scared to see what a career 5.04 NL ERA would translate in the AL.

I would say something along the lines of Jon Rauch and Jim Parque vs. the Seattle Mariners.

MHOUSE
11-07-2003, 01:16 PM
I dunno, Dempster was good with the Marlins when he was real young and then with all these injuries he has really been hampered. Sign him to a minor league deal and let him rehab and show some stuff in the minors and bring him back. At worst he could eat innings of long relief or maybe he'd regain some good form? It's worth a shot if the money is right.

jabrch
11-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well he was never as good as Lieber....not even close really, but Ryan Dempster is a FA, undergoing tommy john

Might make sense to pay him to rehab this year and hold an ultra cheap option on him for next year

Great idea Rich. He is clearly no Lieber, but I don't think he'd cost as much as Lieber did either. Couldn't hurt us to take a shot, provided we are able to pay the $ that we need to spend to be competitive this year. (I guess that depends on what major salary moves KW makes in the offseason, huh?)

StockdaleForVeep
11-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Both wont be back to even semi prime state for atleast another full season, thats the trend with Tommy John surgery, Wood and Smoltz were not their best 1 year after the surgery so i wouldnt want another potential arm we hope will rebound in our farm system

On a side note, i wonder how Tony Womacks game will be affected by his Tommy John surgery, he may lose his Home Run Clout

RichH55
11-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Great idea Rich. He is clearly no Lieber, but I don't think he'd cost as much as Lieber did either. Couldn't hurt us to take a shot, provided we are able to pay the $ that we need to spend to be competitive this year. (I guess that depends on what major salary moves KW makes in the offseason, huh?)

Thank you...I took the scatter shot approach on ideas:)