PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Daddy's get new unis...time for us as well?

batmanZoSo
11-06-2003, 11:34 PM
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=sd

Check it out. I like their road uniform. It's supposedly "sand" colored, but from the pic it looks grey to me. Anyway they'll be the only team that doesn't wear grey on the road. Their home jersey is god awful. It's an exact copy of the Brewers with the lame script across the chest.

What ever happened to powder blue? The banner on the home page has "rekindled" my liking for those 70s/80s roadies.

Personally, I think the Sox should get rid of the pinstripes because they look too much like the Yankees. And how about wearing white socks? Wearing the black ones only angers the gods further. The Pads are one of the other drastic uniform changers, so them getting new ones might be a sign that we're due as well....

ewokpelts
11-06-2003, 11:48 PM
i like our uniforms...a lot better than changing every few years....

MRKARNO
11-07-2003, 12:01 AM
I havent heard anyone really criticize the ones we have now, so they must be the best unis in the MLB

Lip Man 1
11-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Stay with what we've got...only add a dash of red around the logo / numerals a la the 50's and early 60 version.

Lip

doublem23
11-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Stay with what we've got...only add a dash of red around the logo / numerals a la the 50's and early 60 version.

Lip

Um, no, there's already a team called the Red Sox. If they were to add a flair color, I'd like to see a nice metallic silver.

Leave them the way they are. These Padre uniforms suck. They pretty much just copied the Brewers unis and just wrote "Padres" in there. At this rate, the MLB just should just make a stock baseball jersey. It would keep people from needing to buy a new jersey every 5 years when people want to copy the next "fad."

But don't touch the Sox jerseys; though they should wear the vests more. They are nice.

soxfan26
11-07-2003, 03:11 AM

Lip

Now that would look nice IMO.

Other than that, let's leave the uni's alone. I remeber for a few years in the '90's we had the best selling gear in all of MLB, anyone know where we rank lately?

hsnterprize
11-07-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Now that would look nice IMO.

Other than that, let's leave the uni's alone. I remeber for a few years in the '90's we had the best selling gear in all of MLB, anyone know where we rank lately? Remember, the Sox uni's were the top selling gear in the early '90s because they, like a lot of teams, got on the black uniform bandwagon. Teams knew what was popular on the street, and as we soon saw, plenty of people were wearing Sox and other teams' merchandise because of the fashion, and not necessarily because they were fans of the team. That still happens today, but not to as strong of an extent.

If there is to be any tinkering with the uniforms, I'd like to see a solid white uni with the Sox logos on it like they currently are. A "pin-stripeless" uniform would make a good alternate uniform in my opinion.

guillen4life13
11-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
A "pin-stripeless" uniform would make a good alternate uniform in my opinion.

They sell (or used to sell) those uniforms in FootLocker. They looked disgusting.

Keep 'em the way they are!

Only change I'd make is them using REAL cutouts, not the fake stuff they've got. Real ones like they used a couple years ago!

soxfan26
11-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Remember, the Sox uni's were the top selling gear in the early '90s because they, like a lot of teams, got on the black uniform bandwagon. Teams knew what was popular on the street, and as we soon saw, plenty of people were wearing Sox and other teams' merchandise because of the fashion, and not necessarily because they were fans of the team. That still happens today, but not to as strong of an extent.

If there is to be any tinkering with the uniforms, I'd like to see a solid white uni with the Sox logos on it like they currently are. A "pin-stripeless" uniform would make a good alternate uniform in my opinion.

Not as strong of an extent? When was the last time you were in a sporting goods store? Or turned on MTV?

Do you think there are 11 different Yankee hats on the market for the fans of the team or the fans of the fashion? They don't make Red Sox hats in 5 different colors for 5 days of the week.

What the guys wear on the field has little effect on the kind of gear they sell.

hold2dibber
11-07-2003, 08:43 AM

Lip

I actually like that idea - kind of ties in the old unis with the current ones.

hsnterprize
11-07-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Not as strong of an extent? When was the last time you were in a sporting goods store? Or turned on MTV?

Do you think there are 11 different Yankee hats on the market for the fans of the team or the fans of the fashion? They don't make Red Sox hats in 5 different colors for 5 days of the week.

What the guys wear on the field has little effect on the kind of gear they sell. Sorry...I'm quite aware that people are "fans of the fashion", and that's why there are tons of versions of apparel for sports teams out there. But...this trend got a lot of pub back when teams like the San Jose Sharks, Charlotte Hornets, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, and others put out their wares. Nowadays, even though a lot of folks are wearing the merchandise, there isn't a lot of hype about it.

Do you think teams put out several alternate uniforms because of baseball purity? Or, do they put them out so people can but them...like the Sox did back in theearly 90's. It's just when the Sox put out the black and silver outfits, they were part of the initial trend of sports apparel trend.

We're pretty much on the same page on this one. We know the uniform fashion trend is big, and teams are taking advantage of it left and right.

Hangar18
11-07-2003, 09:21 AM

Lip

Yes....A touch of red around the logo and numbers on the
Home Uniform only.....would remind me of the GoGo sox of the 50's (though i wasnt born yet). The Astros Home Pinstripe
jersey looks like that a little bit. The Padres new LOGO
I like......but the Home Uniform looks like a Brewers RipOff.
Funny, because the Brewers are always trying to RipOFF the Atlanta Braves. The Pads road uniform looks like the NBA Sacramento Kings uniform. Nice Try, but they surely dealt this team a blow by not Giving them an Identity. they have the Stadium WE SHOULDVE BUILT though ....
OH....and theyre keeping that Horrible plain navy hat with the SD on it. .....worst hat in the mLB

Bobby Thigpen
11-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Am I the only one that thought that there was nothing wrong with their unis last year? I kinda liked the plain blue and white look. Take out the orange and I thought they were pretty nice.

Procol Harum
11-07-2003, 09:39 AM
Kinda like the sand color of the new Padres' road unis...but the Brewerish looking home unis reek. Anything that reminds me of Bud Selig is gonna get that kneejerk nausea reaction.

As for our uniforms, the suggestion to add a hint of red piping to hearken back to the Go-Go days of the mid-50s to early '60s would be fine, but not crucial. After all of the Sox uniform chaos over the decades I'm rather pleased that we've managed to keep the same style since late 1990.

GregoryEtc
11-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Anyway they'll be the only team that doesn't wear grey on the road.

The Giants wear an off white on the road.

I would be against any RED being introduced. Yes it's been done before and we won a pennant with those unis but I just feel that since we are the WHITE sox and there is a RED sox, we should steer clear of the red. I'd like to see a color though. Maybe a navy trim or even some hunter green.

Brian26
11-07-2003, 10:11 AM
At least they're keeping the swingin' friar on the sleeve. That logo is classic!

StepsInSC
11-07-2003, 11:24 AM
Our uni's are already badass, especially the alt black ones, dont mess with what already rocks the house.

Chisox353014
11-07-2003, 02:52 PM
IMHO these are the best Padre uniforms of all time. The brown/yellow combo is wayyy underused in sports :D:

http://www.dugout-memories.com/1978rpad.jpg
http://www.dugout-memories.com/1978pad.jpg

Foulke You
11-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Our uni's are already badass, especially the alt black ones, dont mess with what already rocks the house.

I tend to agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love the current White Sox uniforms. I can say without the slightest bit of nostalgia interfering in my choice, that these are the best uniforms in the history of the franchise. I am particularly fond of the Alt Black ones as well. Good Guys Wear Black.

Those home Padres uniforms look just like the home Brewers and home Astros jerseys. Nice to see some variety in these new uniforms.

Btw, ChiSox353014, those old school Padres uniforms are craptacular!! :D:

FanOf14
11-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC

I agree 100%. The jersey I bought in the summer of 2000 is the alt. black one.

batmanZoSo
11-07-2003, 03:50 PM
hsnterprize,

The Sox were the first team to wear a solid black jersey as an alternate. In fact, at the time they might have been the only team to have an alternate or even a solid color top. We've always been uniform pioneers. Even the Mariners copied us with black jerseys...they always wore them in 99 and 00, but haven't really since...Where some teams have the tradition of never changing, we have the tradition of always changing. Sometimes we go overboard and some of our past uniforms just didn't make sense. How many times have we had red in our uniform? I like the Dick Allen blue and reds, but it's really kinda goofy because it looks like he's playing for the Phillies or Cardinals. In 70 or so, we had those red versions of the uniforms we have now, which was just ridiculous. It's okay for us to have a touch of red trim, but we're not the red sox.

I'd prefer we get rid of the pinstripes and just have piping as trim a la the Tigers home uniforms. But at the very least we should start wearing white socks like we did in the early 20th century.

npdempse
11-07-2003, 04:01 PM
hsnterprize,

I'd prefer we get rid of the pinstripes and just have piping as trim a la the Tigers home uniforms. But at the very least we should start wearing white socks like we did in the early 20th century.

We should do some "retro pioneering" and go to black stirrups with white sanitaries.

Iwritecode
11-07-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Btw, ChiSox353014, those old school Padres uniforms are craptacular!! :D:

Take the last seven letters out of that sentence and it would be closer to the truth...

StockdaleForVeep
11-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Do we really wanna make new jerseys? First, the current ones are ok and second, do we really wanna risk a potential matt stairs in a pittsburg pirates throwback jersey look? Big Frank in a horrible tight fittin jersey gives me night terrors already

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 04:39 PM
hsnterprize,

The Sox were the first team to wear a solid black jersey as an alternate. In fact, at the time they might have been the only team to have an alternate or even a solid color top. We've always been uniform pioneers.

Here is just kind of a crazy idea. I know we were pioneers with the solid black alternate jersey. Why don't we be pioneers and come up with a third alternate pants: all black, (Maybe with a stripe down the legs like on the gray pants). I know at first every one is going to jump on this and say hell now, that would be terible, but if you think about it, it might actually be kind of cool for a change. The alternate black jersey with black pants could look very bad ass. Or even on the road black pants with the gray jerseys could look cool.

As for the home jersey and alt black jersey: I LIKE

Road gray uniforms are ok, not great but they are fine.

But I think we should be the first team in baseball to introduce black pants as an alternate third pants option.

What do you guys think? Don't come back with saying that it might get too hot in warm weather. B/c for 1. they wear black jerseys with black hats when it is hot already, so black pants won't make it that much hotter. And 2. Back in the old days guys wore heavy wool jerseys in the middle of the summer.

DannyCaterFan
11-07-2003, 04:39 PM
After living through the 70's, and 80's with terrible uniforms (Remember the embarassing shorts?) i find the current model more traditional and love the current Sox script. Don't change a thing unless you want to add a little red to the script as in the 50's.

GregoryEtc
11-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
But I think we should be the first team in baseball to introduce black pants as an alternate third pants option.

i LOVE this idea. I think the ALL BLACK look would be horribly awesome! Like when the Bears wore the blue and blue last year. I hated it so much it was cool.

I've never been a fan of our current away jerseys. I would recommend going to the "CHICAGO" lettering as was on the uni's in the 70s (the ones with the collars) with just black letters on gray tops...no trim.

I'd even like to see all the teams go back to a baggier jersey like we wore in 2001 (the 1917 throwback sunday jerseys) with high pants and 3/4 sleeves. We should start that too.

eriqjaffe
11-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Here is just kind of a crazy idea. I know we were pioneers with the solid black alternate jersey. Why don't we be pioneers and come up with a third alternate pants: all black, (Maybe with a stripe down the legs like on the gray pants). I know at first every one is going to jump on this and say hell now, that would be terible, but if you think about it, it might actually be kind of cool for a change. The alternate black jersey with black pants could look very bad ass. Or even on the road black pants with the gray jerseys could look cool.

Those dang Blue Jays already thought of it.

Look at the middle jersey in the picture below...that's their new road uniform. And, by all accounts, their pants are going to be the same "graphite" color. It won't even be an alternate.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/photo/photogallery/new_logo/ph_new_logo_7_470x325.jpg

...although the Jays' site is suspicously silent about the new look, as opposed to the updated Padres' site...makes me wonder if it's going to be scrapped.

--Eriq.

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by eriqjaffe
Those dang Blue Jays already thought of it.

Look at the middle jersey in the picture below...that's their new road uniform. And, by all accounts, their pants are going to be the same "graphite" color. It won't even be an alternate.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/tor/photo/photogallery/new_logo/ph_new_logo_7_470x325.jpg

...although the Jays' site is suspicously silent about the new look, as opposed to the updated Padres' site...makes me wonder if it's going to be scrapped.

--Eriq.

Did they change the name of the team? I love how there is no blue in the uniform. Wait that would be stupid, blue in their uniform? Considering they are the FREAKING Toronto BLUEjays, not graphite/black/aquagreen jays.

Fisk72
11-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Here is just kind of a crazy idea. I know we were pioneers with the solid black alternate jersey. Why don't we be pioneers and come up with a third alternate pants: all black, (Maybe with a stripe down the legs like on the gray pants).

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like. It reminds me of the road uniforms in the early teens - although it was navy blue and with WHITE sox!!! (see sox fans' guide to uniforms on homepage). Anybody have some way to fool around on their computer and make up a rendition of this? I'm curious to see.

Mammoo
11-07-2003, 05:10 PM
How bogus; these teams changing unis all the time. For chrissakes the Yankees have never changed their unis and they survived just fine. For a while in the seventies and eighties every time you turned around the Sox were changing their unis and how many ****ing pennants did they win?

What a joke!!

poorme
11-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Go back to the late 70s version with the collar.

MarqSox
11-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
How bogus; these teams changing unis all the time. For chrissakes the Yankees have never changed their unis and they survived just fine. For a while in the seventies and eighties every time you turned around the Sox were changing their unis and how many ****ing pennants did they win?

What a joke!!
Yeah ... the "barely change your uniforms over the course of 100 years" thing really worked well for the Red Sox, Cubs and Tigers, didn't it? Well, better for the Tigers, but still.

Brian26
11-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Adding red to the color scheme of the current uniforms would completely disrupt how cool they are. The red would collide with the silver. You can't replace the silver with the red because the silver and white on the alternate black jersey looks phenomenal. I've said it before on here, but the Sox have awesome uniforms right now and should not change a thing. Nothing! Not even the tiniest tweak. The diamond sock logo on the sleeve of the road uniform is so cool and classy, I hope they never change that. I love the current road greys. Don't fix it if it's not broke, and that includes adding red trim.

doublem23
11-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Adding red to the color scheme of the current uniforms would completely disrupt how cool they are. The red would collide with the silver. You can't replace the silver with the red because the silver and white on the alternate black jersey looks phenomenal. I've said it before on here, but the Sox have awesome uniforms right now and should not change a thing. Nothing! Not even the tiniest tweak. The diamond sock logo on the sleeve of the road uniform is so cool and classy, I hope they never change that. I love the current road greys. Don't fix it if it's not broke, and that includes adding red trim.

Thank you, Brian. Just say no to red. We're the White ****ing Sox.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Thank you, Brian. Just say no to red. We're the White ****ing Sox.

Keep the red in the Bradley Braves uni and with the Red Sox jerseys, but nowhere near our White Sox :)

Kroozah
11-08-2003, 11:38 PM
just one word... NO!

Chisox_cali
11-09-2003, 01:15 AM
After the 2003 season, I am so sick of the black jerseys. They used to be cool, because nobody else had black uniforms in the 90's, but than the Mets and Royals jumped on that bandwagon, the Devil rays for a brief period, and Now the Blue Jays.

I swear the Sox would wear those Black one's for 3 week increments. They should wear the gray jersey's on the road, the white pinstripe jerseys at home (which I think they may have worn maybe 10-15 times all of last season, that I can remember) and throw in the sleeveless and black one's on rare occasions. They KILLED the black jerseys last season. KILLED.

I'm gonna say right here and right now, that the Sox will be wearing the black jerseys on opening day in KC, just like they did in '03 (barring any significant uniform change between now and opening day)

I'll bring this thread back on opening day just to see if I'm right.

A.T. Money
11-09-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
After the 2003 season, I am so sick of the black jerseys. They used to be cool, because nobody else had black uniforms in the 90's, but than the Mets and Royals jumped on that bandwagon, the Devil rays for a brief period, and Now the Blue Jays.

I swear the Sox would wear those Black one's for 3 week increments. They should wear the gray jersey's on the road, the white pinstripe jerseys at home (which I think they may have worn maybe 10-15 times all of last season, that I can remember) and throw in the sleeveless and black one's on rare occasions. They KILLED the black jerseys last season. KILLED.

I'm gonna say right here and right now, that the Sox will be wearing the black jerseys on opening day in KC, just like they did in '03 (barring any significant uniform change between now and opening day)

I was waiting for someone to post this. The black jersey was very much played out last season. They used to just wear them on Sundays, now they wear them almost every day.

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
I was waiting for someone to post this. The black jersey was very much played out last season. They used to just wear them on Sundays, now they wear them almost every day.

I was told, that choice of jersey for a particular game, whether it be pinstripes, sleeveless pinstripes, grays, or the black jersey with appropriate home/away pants, was always up to that days starting pitcher and the rest of the team would follow. If true, I thought that was interesting.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I was told, that choice of jersey for a particular game, whether it be pinstripes, sleeveless pinstripes, grays, or the black jersey with appropriate home/away pants, was always up to that days starting pitcher and the rest of the team would follow. If true, I thought that was interesting.

I heard the starting pitcher got to pick the jersey, too. I agree that the black tops need to be rested. They were worn far too much last season and we're quickly beginning to look like a softball team out there.

:bcolon
"Gimme a break. Black is slimming!"

:XL
"Word up!"

RedPinStripes
11-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Keep the red in the Bradley Braves uni and with the Red Sox jerseys, but nowhere near our White Sox :)

Hey now! :D:

MiamiSpartan1
11-09-2003, 08:00 PM
I am not in favor of changing the Sox uni's, 'cause they're perfect IMO...The only change I would consider is doing something like the Braves home jerseys with the piping up the buttons...don't do anything to the color, though....
Changing, just for change sake isn't too smart...
The Padres needed a change....

Chisox_cali
11-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla

Man if I'm the guy in charge of washing the uniforms I'm PISSED! :smile: You're begging the pitcher "Please, wear something different!!"

SouthSideHitman
11-10-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Amen brother. Black on Sunday, sleevless on Saturday IF they get actual cutoffs, not the currents ones. I love the pinstripes and the road grays and they got almost no play last year. Alternates only work if they are indeed, alternate, not par for the course.

Also, all black would suck. We'd look like the Saints or the Seahawks. Oh, and the Pirates did it in the '70s they had mix and match black and gold pants and jerseys.

doublem23
11-10-2003, 01:23 AM
The only other thing I've even considered would be an alternative hat with reverse colors... Black S-O-X on white. I dunno... Half of me thinks it would look goofy but the other half thinks it would look cool as ****.

Chisox_cali
11-10-2003, 02:00 AM
The only other thing I've even considered would be an alternative hat with reverse colors... Black S-O-X on white. I dunno... Half of me thinks it would look goofy but the other half thinks it would look cool as ****.

I completly agree, I think that would look badass. The Giants have a similar one with Black on Orange, and I think those look great.

WhiteSox = Life
11-10-2003, 02:12 AM

Hmm... Your ideas intrigue me. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

:gulp:

Brian26
11-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Only bad thing about white hats is that after about an hour of sweating in the summer sun, they look absolutely disgusting. They get dirty really quickly, and the sweat stains don't come out. Uncle Jerry doesn't have the budget to buy new caps for the team after every game.

:smile:

mikef1331
11-11-2003, 04:16 AM
I like the current uniforms a lot, any significant change to them would be a bad idea. The only small change I would make to the uni's is to have them wear white socks... they are the WHITE SOX, yet they don't wear WHITE SOCKS.... WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THAT?

batmanZoSo
11-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Also, all black would suck. We'd look like the Saints or the Seahawks. Oh, and the Pirates did it in the '70s they had mix and match black and gold pants and jerseys.

Agreed. Off topic here, the seahawks have the most god awful uniforms I've ever seen for a football team. Dark shirt, dark pants and the same color sock stripe. It's like they've been dipped in navy blue paint. And to top it off they wear those horrible black shoes that just make everyone look slow and generally chumpy that a lot of teams are adopting including the Bears.

No baseball team should ever have team color pants. Only white, gray, or...ahem...sand.

As for the black alt's, the Sox wore them almost every day last year where in years before they rarely did. I thought I heard the pitcher decides, is that true? If it is, it still makes you wonder why they all went with black so often. But I like it a lot better than grey.

surfdudes
11-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Don't forget when the Chisox change uniforms, sometimes it gets pretty funky..... The Padres just aquired the new look to go with the new stadium in an attempt to get more money out of us San Diegans. We are already paying for the new stadium. I'm spending my $ on Sox gear for my kid.

AOEllis
11-13-2003, 02:45 AM
The Marlin also incorporated a black jersey into their uniform this year with the silver names and numbers. I am not saying that the White sox get the silver numbers but use silver more in the uniform, not the grey that they have now. The White Sox could also have a silver SOX logo on the current English Style, all black hat, sort of like Clevelend's "I" hat. I agree that the WHITE SOX should wear WHITE SOX. The ESPN Paul Konerko commercial points out the stupid fact the white sox wear black sox. Black sox is just basically a reminder of how our team shamed baseball in 1919. Get rid of the Black Sox. Use more silver.

Brian26
11-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331
I like the current uniforms a lot, any significant change to them would be a bad idea. The only small change I would make to the uni's is to have them wear white socks... they are the WHITE SOX, yet they don't wear WHITE SOCKS.... WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THAT?

The black soccer-style socks look a thousand times cooler. Not in temperature terms, but fashion-wise. The white socks would look stupid with the home-white pinstripes or the road grey unis. I understand what you're saying. Now if we went back to black stirrups and white sanitary socks, would that be ok?