PDA

View Full Version : Projected team lineups

Jjav829
11-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Rotoworld has an article with projected team lineups for the AL. Not that any of this will actually happen, but something interesting to read if you are a hot stove person.

Heres their projections for the Sox:

Chicago White Sox

Projected Lineup
CF Kenny Lofton
LF Carlos Lee
DH Frank Thomas
RF Magglio Ordonez
1B Paul Konerko
3B Joe Crede
2B Adam Kennedy
SS Deivi Cruz
C Miguel Olivo

Projected Rotation
RHP Esteban Loaiza
LHP Mark Buehrle
RHP Jon Garland
LHP Kenny Rogers
LHP Neal Cotts/RHP Dan Wright/RHP Jon Rauch

Projected Bullpen
RHP Rod Beck
LHP Damaso Marte
RHP Billy Koch
RHP Turk Wendell

The White Sox appear stuck with a very limited budget and a bunch of players they don’t want, but since they play in the AL Central, they can’t be counted out in 2004. With Frank Thomas deciding to stay put and Bartolo Colon now out of the picture, a couple of situations have already been resolved. The big decision now is whether to trade Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Lee in order to upgrade the pitching.

Unless the White Sox deal an outfielder, they’re going to have to go cheap to fill out their lineup and pitching staff. Kenny Lofton would be an acceptable replacement for Carl Everett. The middle infield would be tougher to fill and odds are that they’d have to settle for mediocrities. Only a fourth starter such as Kenny Rogers or Jason Johnson could be signed to help the rotation. Tom Gordon would have to be let go, leaving the White Sox to sign Rod Beck or Jose Jimenez as insurance for Billy Koch. This looks like a team that would need a lot of luck to win 90 games.

If GM Ken Williams can trade Ordonez and get great value in return, he should probably do so. They could really use the money, and Mags is a free agent after next season. Ordonez for Alfonso Soriano probably isn’t a possibility, but maybe the Orioles would give up Jay Gibbons and Jerry Hairston Jr. for him. Although that’s not a great return, it would allow the White Sox to plug two holes cheaply and give them the money to re-sign Colon or bring in Greg Maddux or Sidney Ponson. Also, they could re-sign Gordon or Jose Valentin. They still wouldn’t have a great team, but it would be one that should contend, assuming Esteban Loaiza remains a quality starter and Paul Konerko bounces back.

Meh, their suggestion for trading Maggs is the same one I said before I read this. Gibbons and Hairston. Unfortunately, it seems like that might be about all we could get.

Full article (http://rotoworld.com/display2.asp?sport=MLB&page=column&column=14)

CubKilla
11-06-2003, 01:00 PM
How did they come up with this? Put names on a dart board and let fly? Wherever the dart lands for a specific team, that's who RotoWorld prints?

C'mon..... Beck? Lofton? Wendell? What's the explanation for a team filled with sCrUBS ex-castoffs? Just payroll?

And I don't think there is any chance of seeing Maddux don a White Sox uniform..... regardless of how much money KW may/may not be able to free through trading a PK, Botch, Maggs, etc.

SoxxoS
11-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Ordonez for Hairston and Gibbons? Pull the trigger, KW!!!!

valposoxfan
11-06-2003, 01:49 PM
That whole thing is absolutely retarded. Whatever.

StepsInSC
11-06-2003, 04:10 PM
ROD BECK! Hells nah!

pudge
11-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that article is REALLY lame. Like we'd have Lofton again after dumping his butt two years ago?? Weak, RotoWorld, weak.

voodoochile
11-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Yeah, that article is REALLY lame. Like we'd have Lofton again after dumping his butt two years ago?? Weak, RotoWorld, weak.

Actually, I can see the Sox making a run at him. They need a CF and the flubbies won't want him back. KLo would be cheap and would fit the need for a leadoff hitter/CF with experience.

TheRockinMT
11-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Is this the same as Roto-rooter? Makes about as much sense...

StepsInSC
11-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Actually, I can see the Sox making a run at him. They need a CF and the flubbies won't want him back. KLo would be cheap and would fit the need for a leadoff hitter/CF with experience.

We need to just deal for Kenny late into next season. Its worked for the Giants and the Cubs. I just remember how horrendus he was in any month that doesn't begin with "may" during the 2002 season.

ma-gaga
11-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Gibbons and Hairston...

uh. Maybe I just played too much fantasy baseball last year, but Gibbons and Hairston aren't crap for players.

I had Gibbons on my roster all year, he faded the last two months, but was a really nice pickup for me. I wanted to trade for Hairston a couple of times, but he got hurt and the guy IR'ed him.

They are certainly significantly better than Konerko and Alomar. You don't need an ALL-STAR at every position. The problem with this trade is that I don't think Baltimore would do this deal. They are on the verge of competing. Seriously. They need 2 starters and an outfielder. Most importantly, they HAVE money to spend to get them there. If they trade away these two, they are idiots. Maybe you can get Hairston's replacement... what's his name...
Brian Roberts. There's a good deal, the guy can do a little hitting, play a little defense, and is cheap. The trifecta. There's your deal baby.

:)

Jjav829
11-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
uh. Maybe I just played too much fantasy baseball last year, but Gibbons and Hairston aren't crap for players.

I had Gibbons on my roster all year, he faded the last two months, but was a really nice pickup for me. I wanted to trade for Hairston a couple of times, but he got hurt and the guy IR'ed him.

They are certainly significantly better than Konerko and Alomar. You don't need an ALL-STAR at every position. The problem with this trade is that I don't think Baltimore would do this deal. They are on the verge of competing. Seriously. They need 2 starters and an outfielder. Most importantly, they HAVE money to spend to get them there. If they trade away these two, they are idiots. Maybe you can get Hairston's replacement... what's his name...
Brian Roberts. There's a good deal, the guy can do a little hitting, play a little defense, and is cheap. The trifecta. There's your deal baby.

:)

I don't think they are crap players. I think this deal would probably be the best deal the Sox would get. We'd get two young players (both 27 or under). Gibbons would give us a lefty with some pop to either replace Maggs in right, or if a trade for Konerko could be worked out, be our first baseman and allow us to possibly resign Everett for right field. Hairston looked really good before getting hurt and would be an upgrade over Alomar. Not that I really want to trade Maggs, but dumping his salary allowing us to sign someone else and getting Gibbons and Hairston in return wouldn't be a bad move for the Sox, IMO.

As for the Orioles side, I don't think it is bad for them. They have a young second baseman (whose name escapes me at the moment) who will be their starter within a year or two so Roberts could fill in in the mean time. Ordonez gives them a bigger bat for the middle of the order and someone they can sell to the fans more than Gibbons.