PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's comments explained

Iwritecode
11-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Check out this article from the main site. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031105&content_id=599481&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Instead of half-assing the job, they manage to put full quotes in and explain the story a little better. They even manage to get the entire quote Ozzie made in 95.

I have a respect for people,” Guillen was quoted in the article. “They can think whatever they want to think, and they can feel whatever they want to feel. But we’re human beings, and I don’t think people have the right to act with players the way they have been acting.

“Right now, fans are acting like we owe them something. We don’t owe anybody anything. We owe the fans an honest effort, but that’s always been the case. We’ve already apologized, but it has its limits.”

Some other choice tidbits

Eight years later, a more mature Guillen, approaching 40 in a little over two months and with a new position of authority, explained what those particular comments really defined. He was trying to stand up for his teammates, namely Thomas and third baseman Chris Sabo, who were hearing things from the stands that should never be said.

Guillen refused to repeat some of the venom hurled at Thomas, saying it wasn’t even polite to mention off the record. Once again, Guillen isn’t about to apologize for his remarks. He wants fans to understand his point of view.

“When they started throwing money at Chris Sabo, I thought enough was enough,” Guillen said. “I was embarrassed by the ugly names they were calling Frank. There were two sides to that (strike) story, and I didn’t want them to come and blame it all on the players.

“Finally, I said, ‘If you don’t want to come to the games, then don’t come.’ But I was protecting my teammates, and I would do the same thing with this team

“Fans in Chicago are the best in sports,” Guillen said. “But if 60,000 want to show up every day to boo me, then I will take the heat. All I ask is that they just show up every day.

“Frank knows the player and the teammate I was,” added Guillen of Thomas. “He knows I like to have fun, but that I want to win and have the game played the right way. But I don’t want him to see me as his boss. I want him to see me as his friend, and the same goes for the entire team.”

TornLabrum
11-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Check out this article from the main site. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031105&content_id=599481&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Instead of half-assing the job, they manage to put full quotes in and explain the story a little better. They even manage to get the entire quote Ozzie made in 95.

Some other choice tidbits

The original quote is very close to what he said shortly before the strike at a Windy City Sox Fans luncheon. I agreed with him then, and I still agree with him.

crector
11-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Well, there are others who say that they heard Ozzie say that the players didn't owe the fans anything without any of these qualifiers being added on. In other words, this is revisionist history here folks.

In any event, I rarely saw Ozzie as a player give what appeared to be a "100% effort" as opposed to Frank Thomas who I have rarely seen make anything less than a "100% effort."

Thus far as manager, the only thing that Ozzie has made a "100% effort" is in being a tool of JR/KW and doing their bidding to do everything possible to cause Frank to formally ask to be traded. JR/KW knows that Frank is the single most popular Sox player, so they don't want to risk a fan backlash by refusing to make a contract with him. Instead, they sign him up, and then try to alienate Frank so much so that Frank decides that playing for the best fans in baseball simply isn't worth the hassle and moves on. That way, JR/KW thinks that they can have their cake and eat it too.

Only problem is that I think that they've underestimated their man. Frank has shown tremendous resiliency in the past and it would not be surprising if despite the cruel exactions made by JR/KW and their putrid puppet Ozzie, that 2 years from now Frank is still around driving in runs galore and still every bit as popular with the fans.

Once the contract expires, JR and Co. is going to be right back where they started off except for 1 little thing. That is, based on this forum and on conversations with other Sox fans, its clear that a lot of folks are seeing through these Reinsdorfian shenanigans and as Ozzie continues his campaign of harassment and humiliation, more and more folks are going to see things as they really are. That is not going to help attendance one bit.

All this is yet another example of Jerry Reinsdorf being too clever by half.

idseer
11-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by crector
Well, there are others who say that they heard Ozzie say that the players didn't owe the fans anything without any of these qualifiers being added on. In other words, this is revisionist history here folks.

In any event, I rarely saw Ozzie as a player give what appeared to be a "100% effort" as opposed to Frank Thomas who I have rarely seen make anything less than a "100% effort."

Thus far as manager, the only thing that Ozzie has made a "100% effort" is in being a tool of JR/KW and doing their bidding to do everything possible to cause Frank to formally ask to be traded. JR/KW knows that Frank is the single most popular Sox player, so they don't want to risk a fan backlash by refusing to make a contract with him. Instead, they sign him up, and then try to alienate Frank so much so that Frank decides that playing for the best fans in baseball simply isn't worth the hassle and moves on. That way, JR/KW thinks that they can have their cake and eat it too.

Only problem is that I think that they've underestimated their man. Frank has shown tremendous resiliency in the past and it would not be surprising if despite the cruel exactions made by JR/KW and their putrid puppet Ozzie, that 2 years from now Frank is still around driving in runs galore and still every bit as popular with the fans.

Once the contract expires, JR and Co. is going to be right back where they started off except for 1 little thing. That is, based on this forum and on conversations with other Sox fans, its clear that a lot of folks are seeing through these Reinsdorfian shenanigans and as Ozzie continues his campaign of harassment and humiliation, more and more folks are going to see things as they really are. That is not going to help attendance one bit.

All this is yet another example of Jerry Reinsdorf being too clever by half.

wow, i, for one, am getting awfully tired of one crector, the chosen ozzie basher.
your posts are nothing but vindictive and contain no facts whatsoever. even when it's pointed out .. actual provable quotes used, you come along with ... "there are others who say that they heard Ozzie say that the players didn't owe the fans anything without any of these qualifiers being added on"

how about YOU proving your point? where are YOUR sources for what you just said here? WHAT others heard what and where.

it's very easy to mouth off and make up your own stories about who did what and when, but if anyone here believes you i'd be amazed!

why don't you take a little breather from your ozzie hatred for a while?
just a suggestion.

Kilroy
11-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by crector

That is one of the classic symptoms of urban legend. "I heard this from a guy who knows the person this happened to..."

Chances are, Ozzie's quote was printed just as it was above. In context as it was said. But it was more than likely printed under a headline that said "Guillen: We don't owe the fans anything." There's an awful lot of people who read headlines and never ever read the stories under them. And also, headlines aren't written by the person who writes the text below them, making it very easy for the true context of the stories to be lost. And how hard would it be for radio or TV to simply excerpt the "We don't owe the fans anything" part and leave out the rest?