PDA

View Full Version : Im Pissed. Sox will NOT renew Mansoo Lee's Contract next year

Hangar18
11-05-2003, 04:24 PM
I dont know what the reasoning is, but the SOX arent going to renew Bullpen catcher Mansoo "not carlos" Lee for next year.
Our entire section, near the LF Sox Bullpen, grew close
to Mansoo and he always said Hello and chatted with all the regulars out there. The guy was always smiling and easily way more Personable than a Bullpen person needed to be.
Im Going to Miss Him, hes a cool guy. This could be a PR Gaffe
as I can See the CUBS Snapping this guy up Very Quickly.

LuvSox
11-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Ok, we have nothing to do until Sox Fest, who is it going to be? Karko out there anywhere?

steff
11-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I dont know what the reasoning is, but the SOX arent going to renew Bullpen catcher Mansoo "not carlos" Lee for next year.
to Mansoo and he always said Hello and chatted with all the regulars out there. The guy was always smiling and easily way more Personable than a Bullpen person needed to be.

Wunch is taking his place.. :D:

Steve Bartman
11-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by steff
Wunch is taking his place.. :D:

I heard it was Billy Crotch

steff
11-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman
I heard it was Billy Crotch

Ugh... I hate that guy.

anewman35
11-05-2003, 04:32 PM
This could be a PR Gaffe

A PR Gaffe? Come on, nobody except us (and not even most of us, I'd bet) cares who the bullpen catcher. Wouldn't surprise me if this didn't even make the papers...

Hangar18
11-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
A PR Gaffe? Come on, nobody except us (and not even most of us, I'd bet) cares who the bullpen catcher. Wouldn't surprise me if this didn't even make the papers...

YES YES....only us hard-core Sox Fans know about Mansooooo
Lee. ANd the Chicago Media/Papers wont even report on it.....
TIL THE CUBS HIRE HIM. Watch how the guy starts getting press, with cubfluff articles, Fred Mitchell will do his Bogus
Q&A session on him.... Giancreco will then start calling him
the "Korean HR hero"

steff
11-05-2003, 04:37 PM
TIL THE CUBS HIRE HIM. Watch how the guy starts getting press, with cubfluff articles, Fred Mitchell will do his Bogus
the "Korean HR hero"

Oh Henry move on... the guy catches balls, fetches seeds, and hits on the girls there to talk to the pitchers. He doesn't even get to answer the phone when it rings..

anewman35
11-05-2003, 04:38 PM
the "Korean HR hero"

Lay off the speed, dude. Seriously, calm down, you don't want to have a heart attack, do you?

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Does anyone remember when ESPN used to have Monsoo Lee's picture on the Carlos Lee stat page?

Foulke You
11-05-2003, 04:48 PM

Apparently, this one isn't the fault of the White Sox. It is my understanding that Mansoo told the Sox last year that 2003 would be his final season and that he would be returning to his home in Korea to be a manager there. From what my Korean co-worker told me, the deal fell through at the last minute and apparently Mansoo got screwed by the Korean team. The White Sox must have already hired his replacement since he informed them he was leaving last year. It's a bummer because I liked Mansoo. He was always really friendly with the fans. When I was in Boston, he spent at least 20 minutes goofing around with the Red Sox fans (mostly kids) and handing out baseballs.

Hangar18
11-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Apparently, this one isn't the fault of the White Sox. It is my understanding that Mansoo told the Sox last year that 2003 would be his final season and that he would be returning to his home in Korea to be a manager there. From what my Korean co-worker told me, the deal fell through at the last minute and apparently Mansoo got screwed by the Korean team. The White Sox must have already hired his replacement since he informed them he was leaving last year. It's a bummer because I liked Mansoo. He was always really friendly with the fans. When I was in Boston, he spent at least 20 minutes goofing around with the Red Sox fans (mostly kids) and handing out baseballs.

Great Work Foulke. At least we kind of know what went
down. Hes a totally nice guy, he gave my nephew a ball
when we were in KC. Im telling you, our whole section
was always chatting with the guy, theyre going to miss the guy.
its gonna suck when the cubs hire him

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 05:10 PM

How did you hear about the Sox not keeping Lee?

jortafan
11-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I'm also aware that Lee was having problems with the INS, which was looking to force him to leave the United States. I don't know the specifics off the top of my head, but some federal bureaucrat got it into his head that bullpen catcher was a job that could better be filled by a U.S. citizen and the White Sox' pleas to keep Mansoo in the country were falling on deaf ears within the federal government and within the federal court system.

crector
11-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Bullpen catcher sounds like what we could have Konerko doing next year. After all, is he not a former catcher?

doublem23
11-05-2003, 05:22 PM

Don't the Cubs have Sandy Alomar as their bullpen catcher? And aren't they fairly pleased with him?

Jerry_Manuel
11-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Don't the Cubs have Sandy Alomar as their bullpen catcher? And aren't they fairly pleased with him?

Yeah, they do.

I did hear talk that he might come over to the Sox to be with Sandy and Robby, but who knows.

valposoxfan
11-05-2003, 05:41 PM
This is why your my favorite poster Hangar. And I think I've met you before, at the game where Frank hit his 400th against TB. Rat Pack Night. I think I came up to you after the game and we talked for awhile before the Sinatra sound alike started singing...

Clembasbal
11-05-2003, 06:02 PM
I have to agree with Hanger18...Mansoo is the "Korean Babe Ruth!" The guy is harious and friendly. I too have season tickets in front of the LF Bullpen and he is always shooting the bull with the fans -- and he really does not hit on women, I don't know where somebody got that info. In fact he is proud of his wife and always talks about his kid (who he says is super fat).

mike squires
11-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Karko would be a good one. I saw him at the reunion game this past summer and he looked like he was in decent shape. I'd also like to see Mark Sala come back or perhaps yours truly...mike squires. OH man, this is gonna be a long off season. Here we are talking about bullpen catchers.

Viva Magglio
11-05-2003, 07:02 PM
I say they bring back Poppy Hidalgo, especially since it was Ozzie as a player who brought him up the first time.

Daver
11-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I say they bring back Poppy Hidalgo, especially since it was Ozzie as a player who brought him up the first time.

Yeah he probably sold everything he stole from the clubhouse by now.

Clembasbal
11-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

You know it's sad when there were two people with endorsments on the White Sox in the mid-late 90's. One was Frank Thomas with Reebok and crap and the other was Poppy Hidalgo selling tires or oil changes on the local hispanic station. HA!

ewokpelts
11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
maybe sandy jr will get the job?

the scorekeeper
11-05-2003, 10:57 PM
I had no idea so many of the WSI regulars hung out in LF. Huh.

I shot off a quick note to the Sox when I found out today - I hate to see Man Soo leave. He took time out for the fans, developed relationships with the regulars and made a point of trying to make the whole experience out there a good one.

It was always a kick to get to a road game and heckle him until he looked up and figured out who you were. Then we would chat about the road trip, and he'd question my sanity for driving to whichever town the boys happened to be in.....

When I finally made it back from New Hampshire for a game in July he gave me a hard time for missing so many games - even asked me who was keeping the scorebooks while I was gone.

Frankfan4life
11-06-2003, 12:17 AM
All I know is Hawk calls Mansoo"one of the nicest guys you'll every meet"

Darn it! I wish I'd had a chance to meet him.

:hurt I'M OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD!

TDog
11-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Mansoo is a very nice guy. I spent a lot of time around the Sox bullpen early this season, and was impressed with the way he talked with fans and remembered names of some people. Cave is the man down there, though.

I am surprised to hear so many WSI posters hung out over the bullpen. I am wondering if it was one of us who back in May was arguing with me, saying Joe Borchard should have come north with the team.

StockdaleForVeep
11-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Perhaps if we unveil banners to support him, the organization will keep him. Or he can simply buy tickets front row by the pen and simply resume his job there?

DrCrawdad
11-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
I'm also aware that Lee was having problems with the INS, which was looking to force him to leave the United States. I don't know the specifics off the top of my head, but some federal bureaucrat got it into his head that bullpen catcher was a job that could better be filled by a U.S. citizen and the White Sox' pleas to keep Mansoo in the country were falling on deaf ears within the federal government and within the federal court system.

How typical! Focus on one decent guy meanwhile thousands of jobs are shuffled out of the country by souless, greedy corporations and no politician says a word. - See article number one, (http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/02/outsourcing/index.html) article number two. (http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/11/05/outsourcing_report/index.html)

thepaulbowski
11-06-2003, 07:32 AM
A couple of times last year, we'd sneak brats into the game (ones that we cooked in the parking lot and gave them to him when he got to the bullpen. He'd go into the bullpen dugout and emerge a few minutes later rubbing his stomach & smiling. The guy was a riot.

CLR01
11-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
A couple of times last year, we'd sneak brats into the game (ones that we cooked in the parking lot and gave them to him when he got to the bullpen. He'd go into the bullpen dugout and emerge a few minutes later rubbing his stomach & smiling. The guy was a riot.

You sure he ate them? If im in that situation the food goes right into the trash.

thepaulbowski
11-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
You sure he ate them? If im in that situation the food goes right into the trash.

He came out with mustard on his face once, so I'm guessing yes.

jortafan
11-06-2003, 08:19 AM
If anyone's curious, here's a story out of Korea about Lee being let go by the Sox.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/sports/200311/kt2003110317202511620.htm

crector
11-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Interesting excerpt from that article:

Lee, who was in the position with Chicago since February 2000, posted an article on his website on Saturday, saying, ``I received notice from the White Sox yesterday that they have no intention of extending my contract.’’

The White Sox’s decision was a shock to Lee, and seems to have been the last straw in the 45-year-old’s dispute with the Lions management, which, he said, had unilaterally stopped negotiating to hire him as a coach.

Rocky Soprano
11-06-2003, 08:39 AM
There was a mention of this in today's Sun Times. Just like two or three sentences.

anewman35
11-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by crector
Interesting excerpt from that article:

The White Sox’s decision was a shock to Lee, and seems to have been the last straw in the 45-year-old’s dispute with the Lions management, which, he said, had unilaterally stopped negotiating to hire him as a coach.

Is it just me, or does that paragraph make no sense? Wasn't the Lions thing decided before the White Sox made their decision?

thepaulbowski
11-06-2003, 08:42 AM
Sounds like he got hosed by his former team in Korea, and the White Sox had already gone another direction. Too bad :(:

Hokiesox
11-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by crector
Bullpen catcher sounds like what we could have Konerko doing next year. After all, is he not a former catcher?

You want a $14 mil bullpen catcher?!?

Tekijawa
11-06-2003, 09:28 AM
I was in the LF Bleachers for about 20 games last year and Lee was awesome... this was a bad move on the Sox part...

I also see we picked up an assistant GM! Great pedigree too! he was with the Cubs in the late 90's (the powerhouse years I like to call them) and the brewers since then! I can't see how we could have gotten a better guy for the Job! I guess the Tigers and Tampa bay weren't getting rid of anyone from their scouting crew!

Dadawg_77
11-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Man this is almost enough for me not to renew next year. I remember after batting practice for Twins, Lee gathered all the balls hit into the bullpen and played rock paper scissors for the crowd. If you beat you got a ball, if you didn't he moved on or if you were a little kid,you got another chance. It was fun to watch.

ewokpelts
11-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Well...this sux......

The Feds like to look tough, especially when they are letting millions of jobs slip through our borders. They frequently require foreign players to check in and verify thier records. So giving Man Soo %$@# makes it look like they are protecting American Jobs, although baseball is most definitely a globalized profession, if only in on the field personell. Now Football, that's all american all the way

And as for his former Korean League team...that sux too. I have a feeling that the Cubs will go after him, not only as bullpen catcher, but also as a mentor/translator to Choi. And you have to admit that it's a good idea, cubune be dammed.
Gene

anewman35
11-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Man this is almost enough for me not to renew next year.

I don't believe some of the excuses I've seen here for not going to games. I thought boycotting the team over the hiring was silly, but the bullpen catcher? I hope this was a joke...

thecell
11-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
I don't believe some of the excuses I've seen here for not going to games. I thought boycotting the team over the hiring was silly, but the bullpen catcher? I hope this was a joke...

I would hope that's joke too...

I heard the Sox canned Zbigniew, the guy who sweeps the concourse. Man, if that's true I'm not renewing next year either. He was great with the broom and a master at removing gum from the floor...a true class act.

thepaulbowski
11-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Well...this sux......

The Feds like to look tough, especially when they are letting millions of jobs slip through our borders. They frequently require foreign players to check in and verify thier records. So giving Man Soo %$@# makes it look like they are protecting American Jobs, although baseball is most definitely a globalized profession, if only in on the field personell. Now Football, that's all american all the way

And as for his former Korean League team...that sux too. I have a feeling that the Cubs will go after him, not only as bullpen catcher, but also as a mentor/translator to Choi. And you have to admit that it's a good idea, cubune be dammed.
Gene

Did you read the aricle that was posted? It made no mention of green card problems. It stated that he was planning on going back to Korea and working with the team he played for. Then they screwed him. From the sounds of it the Sox had already prepared to move on and then he wanted to stay. It sounds like he may have done it to himself. As much fun as it was to watch him interact with fans, it doesn't matter. He's a bullpen catcher, for God's sake.

ewokpelts
11-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Did you read the aricle that was posted? It made no mention of green card problems. It stated that he was planning on going back to Korea and working with the team he played for. Then they screwed him. From the sounds of it the Sox had already prepared to move on and then he wanted to stay. It sounds like he may have done it to himself. As much fun as it was to watch him interact with fans, it doesn't matter. He's a bullpen catcher, for God's sake.
read earlier posts in this thread......it sounds like he had green card issues that may have prompted him wanting to get a job back in korea

SoxFan78
11-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Man this is almost enough for me not to renew next year. I remember after batting practice for Twins, Lee gathered all the balls hit into the bullpen and played rock paper scissors for the crowd. If you beat you got a ball, if you didn't he moved on or if you were a little kid,you got another chance. It was fun to watch.

I cannot believe this. You would not renew your season tickets because of a bullpen catcher? Ok, he was a nice guy. Thats fine, we need more people in the world like that. But people don't pay to see the bullpen catcher, they pay to see the sox.

Please tell me you were kidding.

Eddie Gaedel
11-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Does anyone remember when ESPN used to have Monsoo Lee's picture on the Carlos Lee stat page?

yes, yes! i still crack up thinking about it!

joepoe
11-06-2003, 06:04 PM
First Poppy Hidalgo, now Mansoo Lee! No wonder we havent won anything since 2000!

Dadawg_77
11-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan78
I cannot believe this. You would not renew your season tickets because of a bullpen catcher? Ok, he was a nice guy. Thats fine, we need more people in the world like that. But people don't pay to see the bullpen catcher, they pay to see the sox.

Please tell me you were kidding.

If it was bullpen coach itself, it wouldn't matter. But Kenny Williams still has a job, JR still owns them. Right now I am considering whether or not to renew, and things like this aren't helping me renew. Its more the little gram thrown on tons of stuff, that tilts the scale. Trust this is the end all be all.

steff
11-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by joepoe
First Poppy Hidalgo, now Mansoo Lee! No wonder we havent won anything since 2000!

Hey Joe!! You slummin?? :D:

Pudge Fan
11-06-2003, 08:44 PM
So, I'm already nuts, owning season tickets and living in East Lansing, Mich., but I'm pretty ticked about this situation. They hired someone before Man-Soo had a contract with the Korean team? They couldn't wait? How hard can it be to find a bullpen catcher? There's only a couple hundred well-qualified retired catchers out there...just ask one of them. Going in a different direction? What's the new guy gonna do, warm up Kelly and Co. while standing on his head?

Mostly, I'm just dissapointed. My sister and her friends made "I LOVE MAN-SOO" shirts for next year. I can only imagine how much he'd blush seeing that in the LF front row...

batmanZoSo
11-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Mark my words, ten years from now we'll look back on this move as the turning point for this franchise.

StockdaleForVeep
11-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Mark my words, ten years from now we'll look back on this move as the turning point for this franchise.

10 years from know, knowin our luck, lee will be actually playing and be turnin out 300 avg, 20 homerun, 90 rbi seasons and have about 2 world series rings

the scorekeeper
11-06-2003, 09:07 PM
I don't think anybody, as Dadawg said, would fail to renew season tix just because of man soo. That said, a lot of things go in to the decision to spend that much money on baseball, and a lot of little things make the experience of being a regular what it is.

I can't imagine someone giving up on the team for something like this, but I could see a lot of little things stacking up to the point where I decide to go to 20 or 40 games a year instead of 60 or 70. Or stacking up to the point where I don't want to give the Sox that much money up front.

Season ticket purchases are tricky things.

Daver
11-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Pudge Fan
So, I'm already nuts, owning season tickets and living in East Lansing, Mich., but I'm pretty ticked about this situation. They hired someone before Man-Soo had a contract with the Korean team? They couldn't wait? How hard can it be to find a bullpen catcher? There's only a couple hundred well-qualified retired catchers out there...just ask one of them. Going in a different direction? What's the new guy gonna do, warm up Kelly and Co. while standing on his head?

Mostly, I'm just dissapointed. My sister and her friends made "I LOVE MAN-SOO" shirts for next year. I can only imagine how much he'd blush seeing that in the LF front row...

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

npdempse
11-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Some folks need to make sure they're taking their meds. We're talking about the BULLPEN CATCHER. I had a split package in 159. I saw plenty of Man Soo. I saw my neighbors' kids learn not to bother to ask him to throw the ball to them between innings, but to go up and ask politely and be treated good in turn. I saw his good natured joshing with fans and players out there. And I saw how a lot of those players, the outfielders especially, seem to look at him like he was the village idiot or something. Kusnyer was often throwing him dirty looks. He may have been a crowd pleaser, but I doubt he was bringing much to the pen; never saw him have what appeared to be a serious baseball conversation with any of the pitchers.

GET OVER IT!!

StillMissOzzie
11-07-2003, 12:45 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't think that this will be the stupidest PR thing the Sox do THIS WEEK, let alone in preparations for the 2004 campaign. Save your bullets fort a real battle!!!

SMO
:gulp:

doogiec
11-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Korea Times article (http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/sports/200311/kt2003110916333411100.htm)

For those of you who don't read the Korea Times on a regular basis, it looks like this is resolved.

DrCrawdad
11-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
Korea Times article (http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/sports/200311/kt2003110916333411100.htm)

For those of you who don't read the Korea Times on a regular basis, it looks like this is resolved.

Thanks for the link, as I haven't been following the Korea Times as I should.

That's good news. The Sox have a lot of great things going on, they don't need any bad press for letting go of a bullpen coach (remember the static when The Cell DJ was fired?).

Aside from the bad press/karma, Lee seems like a great guy and many fans like him. Keep Lee around, and get him scouting Korea and possibly Japan in the off-season.

Hangar18
11-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by doogiec

I Cancelled my subcription to the Korea Times, because of
they were printing way too many CubFluff articles the last
few years. But anyway....WOW, this sounds like
the situation was Resolved. Thats great. Yeah, hes
a bullpen catcher, but hes also Good PR, Something the SOX
dont get enough of. Looking forward to getting to my
seat....Ordering a Cold One, and yelling out .........
Mannnnn Sooooo Leeeeeeeeeeeeee

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-09-2003, 10:06 PM
yay! this would be the perfect opporunity to use the Manuel Stays tag except it saying mansoo :D:

joepoe
11-11-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by steff
Hey Joe!! You slummin?? :D:

Trying to add a little class to George's Setup here.