PDA

View Full Version : Rick Morrissey Column

Deadguy
11-05-2003, 02:38 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-031104morrissey,1,5948044.column?coll=cs-home-utility

If I'm Thomas, I'm wondering why I'm being picked on by a guy who hit .264 lifetime. If I'm Thomas, I'm wondering what I did last season to deserve the sharp-edged howdy-do from Guillen.

It couldn't have been the 42 homers (third in the American League) or the .562 slugging percentage (sixth) or the .390 on-base percentage, which led the team.

Thomas wasn't the problem last year. He didn't create an atmosphere that made Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle start off so poorly. When the Sox made their drive in August, Thomas was doing the driving.

By calling out Thomas, Guillen is nuzzling up to Sox fans, who after listening to Jerry Manuel, want to hear anything that remotely resembles tough love.

The column's kind of a back handed defense of Thomas, but do you agree or disagree with Rick's opinion on the matter?

Randar68
11-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-031104morrissey,1,5948044.column?coll=cs-home-utility

If I'm Thomas, I'm wondering why I'm being picked on by a guy who hit .264 lifetime. If I'm Thomas, I'm wondering what I did last season to deserve the sharp-edged howdy-do from Guillen.

It couldn't have been the 42 homers (third in the American League) or the .562 slugging percentage (sixth) or the .390 on-base percentage, which led the team.

Thomas wasn't the problem last year. He didn't create an atmosphere that made Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle start off so poorly. When the Sox made their drive in August, Thomas was doing the driving.

By calling out Thomas, Guillen is nuzzling up to Sox fans, who after listening to Jerry Manuel, want to hear anything that remotely resembles tough love.

The column's kind of a back handed defense of Thomas, but do you agree or disagree with Rick's opinion on the matter?

I agree 100% with those quotes. Thomas, Lee and Maggs were 0% of the problem last year. Konerko, Crede's slow start (young, excuseable), Sandy, Jimenez, Jose, CF-who-knows-who, Koch, Buehrle... Those were the primary problems last year. He addressed NONE of those.

Iwritecode
11-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I agree 100% with those quotes. Thomas, Lee and Maggs were 0% of the problem last year. Konerko, Crede's slow start (young, excuseable), Sandy, Jimenez, Jose, CF-who-knows-who, Koch, Buehrle... Those were the primary problems last year. He addressed NONE of those.

I doubt Ozzie has had time to sit down and figure out what the problems were last year. He should have plenty of time to do that between now and ST. I'm sure he just mentioned Frank and Maggs because they are the two biggest names on the team.

hold2dibber
11-05-2003, 02:49 PM
I agreed completely with Morrissey. My biggest concern with respect to Ozzie's hiring is that he has a big mouth. He talks first and thinks second. I think there are going to be a lot of instances where he spouts off in the media without thinking it through and pisses off his players. This may prove to be a useful motivational tool. More likely, it will make him spend a lot of time explaining himself to players behind closed doors and doing public mea culpas for off the cuff remarks.

Starting off day one by seemingly singling out one of the best players on the team - particularly one as prickly as Frank - didn't seem like a particularly wise move to me.

Randar68
11-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I doubt Ozzie has had time to sit down and figure out what the problems were last year. He should have plenty of time to do that between now and ST. I'm sure he just mentioned Frank and Maggs because they are the two biggest names on the team.

I hope that's the case, but he certainly seemed more than willing to expound upon his initial remarks.

washington
11-05-2003, 03:10 PM
He definitely seemed to have some sort of grudge against Thomas. Which Manuel always did as well. I hope they make nice, if he's going to use "tough love" I'd rather see him target Konerko and others who sucked last year.

DrCrawdad
11-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agreed completely with Morrissey. My biggest concern with respect to Ozzie's hiring is that he has a big mouth. He talks first and thinks second. I think there are going to be a lot of instances where he spouts off in the media without thinking it through and pisses off his players. This may prove to be a useful motivational tool. More likely, it will make him spend a lot of time explaining himself to players behind closed doors and doing public mea culpas for off the cuff remarks.

Starting off day one by seemingly singling out one of the best players on the team - particularly one as prickly as Frank - didn't seem like a particularly wise move to me.

Thought provoing article from Morrissey, not a writer I generally find worthwhile.

As I watched the press conference...first of all I wondered what the heck KW was blabbering on and on about, just say a couple positive things and introduce Guillen. KW loves the sound of his voice. Anyway, the press asks Guillen about Frank and Guillen falls straight into that trap, rather than take the high road. Hopefully this doesn't play out for some pathetic drama next season. Hopefully it ignites Frank in a positive way.

Perhaps wrongly, I trust that the White Sox braintrust (jeez, there's an oxymoron) made the right decision in hiring Ozzie. Of course this is quite the same braintrust that hired Bevington, Jamie Navarro & Ken Harrelson (as GM). The key member of this braintrust also allows Bill Cartwright to pound his feet on the Bulls sideline.

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

As catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. put it: "We are so focused on always pointing the finger at Frank."

Ozzie's platatudes seem like a great thing on the surface ("one set of rules for the whole team") but it isn't that way and in reality it shouldn't be. Guys like Frank, Barry, Sham-ME*, ARod, Clemans, etc. have always been treated differently because they are superstars. They draw the fans in. They carry the team when it needs it. They are the heart and soul of the team's offense/pitching staff.

Great managers are the ones who find ways to get those guys to play within the team concept and still not lose that which makes them special. Great managers are the ones who can motivate those players to be better than they already are. Great managers understand the difference between the stars and the regular players and find a way to make the two sides co-exist, work together and come out stronger than the sum or the parts. Great managers don't generally start out their very first public appearance by ripping on the stars of the team they just took over.

Morrisey is 100% correct. Ozzie dropped the ball. I wonder if his comments about Frank are one reason he got the job. KW obviously is not a fan of Franks. How much of the "interview" was devoted to this issue and how much of that attitude was responsible for Ozzie being hired?

There are better ways to motivate people than calling them lazy and selfish. Yeah, sometimes that needs to be said, but when ithat is the case, it is better to say it in private, and find a way to say it where the message (do more to help the team) doesn't get lost in the anger that will naturally accompany any such statement. No one likes to be called those things. People like it even less when it is said in front of a bank of microphones and TV cameras and beamed live to the world...

vegyrex
11-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Heh, Bevington...er...I mean Ozzie shouldn't have targeted Frank the way he did.

Brace yourself folks, this could get ugly.

DrCrawdad
11-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Ozzie's platatudes seem like a great thing on the surface ("one set of rules for the whole team") but it isn't that way and in reality it shouldn't be. Guys like Frank, Barry, Sham-ME*, ARod, Clemans, etc. have always been treated differently because they are superstars. They draw the fans in. They carry the team when it needs it. They are the heart and soul of the team's offense/pitching staff.

Great managers are the ones who find ways to get those guys to play within the team concept and still not lose that which makes them special. Great managers are the ones who can motivate those players to be better than they already are. Great managers understand the difference between the stars and the regular players and find a way to make the two sides co-exist, work together and come out stronger than the sum or the parts. Great managers don't generally start out their very first public appearance by ripping on the stars of the team they just took over.

Morrisey is 100% correct. Ozzie dropped the ball. I wonder if his comments about Frank are one reason he got the job. KW obviously is not a fan of Franks. How much of the "interview" was devoted to this issue and how much of that attitude was responsible for Ozzie being hired?

There are better ways to motivate people than calling them lazy and selfish. Yeah, sometimes that needs to be said, but when ithat is the case, it is better to say it in private, and find a way to say it where the message (do more to help the team) doesn't get lost in the anger that will naturally accompany any such statement. No one likes to be called those things. People like it even less when it is said in front of a bank of microphones and TV cameras and beamed live to the world...

Hawk's stupid, "Sit back, relax and strap it down" will take on a whole new meaning in '04 as it might be quite a turbulent ride.

nasox
11-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Awww man....
Now were just overanalyzing
Lets just wait till Spring Training