PDA

View Full Version : Silver Sluggers or Gold Glovers

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 01:37 PM
If you have a choice between lineup which feature 9 Gold Glovers or 9 Sliver Sluggers, assuming they were average in offense/defense. What team would you want?

Iwritecode
11-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If you have a choice between lineup which feature 9 Gold Glovers or 9 Sliver Sluggers, assuming they were average in offense/defense. What team would you want?

I guess it depends on what kind of pitching staff you have also. Personally, I'd take the 9 silver sluggers. Score enough runs and it makes it real easy to win.

Even the best defense in the world is going to let a few runs score...

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I guess it depends on what kind of pitching staff you have also. Personally, I'd take the 9 silver sluggers. Score enough runs and it makes it real easy to win.

Even the best defense in the world is going to let a few runs score...

Average pitching staff.

StepsInSC
11-05-2003, 02:00 PM
I wish I could change my vote.

Most of the Gold Glove winners arn't exactly too shabby with the bat anyways, so I think they're hitting would be better than the slugger's defense.

fquaye149
11-05-2003, 02:02 PM
should we use this year's silver sluggers/gold glovers winners?

i think i'd go with silver sluggers anyway

Deadguy
11-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

Silver sluggers. Baseball is half runs scored and half runs allowed, and considering the fact that pitching makes up a large portion of runs allowed, I'll take the silver sluggers.

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
should we use this year's silver sluggers/gold glovers winners?

i think i'd go with silver sluggers anyway

In general. I mean A Rod is probaly going to be on both list.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-05-2003, 02:41 PM
This is a no-brainer. I'll gladly take the best sluggers at every position over the best glovemen. Whatever I lose in defense at catcher, shortstop, and center field, I more than make up the difference with overwhelming offense in LF, RF, 3B, 1B, and 2B.

Even a "small ball" proponent like poorme noted here in a separate thread that the relative value of hitting is roughly four-times as valuable as defensive prowess.

Glold Gloves are what they hand out for consolation prizes, sort of like catching the bride's garter at a wedding reception.

:bandance:

dougs78
11-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Its not really even a fair contest. Silver sluggers are much more valuable than gold glovers in terms of wins and losses. Maybe a more fair question is would you rather have a team of silver sluggers or a great pitching staff (no direct equivalent of silver slugger comes to mind). But it would basically mean the top 5 starters in the AL, as well as the top closer, setup men etc.

I'd bet on the pitchers, but 9 silver sluggers would be pretty formidable.

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This is a no-brainer. I'll gladly take the best sluggers at every position over the best glovemen. Whatever I lose in defense at catcher, shortstop, and center field, I more than make up the difference with overwhelming offense in LF, RF, 3B, 1B, and 2B.

Even a "small ball" proponent like poorme noted here in a separate thread that the relative value of hitting is roughly four-times as valuable as defensive prowess.

Glold Gloves are what they hand out for consolation prizes, sort of like catching the bride's garter at a wedding reception.

:bandance:

When you add in the fact that defensive statistics and GG voting are largely subjective and hard to analyze the difference between great defensive players and great offensive players becomes even more overwhelming.

This issue isn't even close. Other sports defense means more than it does in baseball because defensive plays lead to offensive points, but that is not the case in baseball (obviously).