PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper of FLuke?

RichH55
11-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Pacheco

Is he going to make the major league squad or be a Rule 5 pick somewhere?

MRKARNO
11-05-2003, 08:01 PM
I think we'd all prefer the former and not the latter

RichH55
11-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think we'd all prefer the former and not the latter

I think that goes without saying....I'd like to know what a more objective opinion holds though

Daver
11-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I think that goes without saying....I'd like to know what a more objective opinion holds though

Randar and I wrote about the farm system in our top ten list. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2354)

Here is what I wrote in that.

Enemencio Pacheco

Pacheco, acquired last season from the Colorado Rockies in return for Sandy Alomar, was not 100% percent healthy and was not utilized well in the Rockies system. With the Birmingham Barons this season he was converted back to a starter and developed a change up to compliment his live fastball and sharp slider, and turned out to be one of the best on their staff, leading the team in innings pitched, starts, and wins. Pacheco is not an overpowering type pitcher, he is not going to reach back and power the ball past anyone, he is a control pitcher that forces a lot of ground balls, evidenced by the fact that he gave up five HRís all season long, though this is helped somewhat by the fact that the Barons play in a huge ballpark.

Pacheco will probably never develop into a staff ace, but his ability to simply get guys out will make him an effective middle of the rotation type starter. He is not the type to put up gaudy strikeout numbers, but his walk to strikeout ratio is better than 2-1, which is something you look for in a young pitcher. This season at Birmingham he walked 51 batters while striking out 116.

It would not be surprising to see him invited to spring training with the big club in 2004 to compete for a spot in the rotation, depending on what happens this offseason, it is not uncommon for a pitcher to go straight from AA to the big leagues, if not he will probably anchor the rotation in Charlotte in 2004.