PDA

View Full Version : Non-Signings

RichH55
11-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Any word on why we didn't sign Brooks out of East Carolina or Donny Veal out of Arizona?

Too much money? Didn't think they were progressing enough? They just did not want to sign at the moment?

Randar68
11-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Veal is a smart kid who wants to go to medical school. He was asking 1 million signing bonus and the Sox offerred him about half last I had heard. He'll go to Arizona, probably get his degree in 3 or 4 years and re-enter the draft.

Very good prospect, would have been picked in the 3rd or 4th round on talent alone.

Wes Hodges was a Georgia Tech commit. Also a guy who had borderline top 5 round potential. I think he was one of the best HS 3rd base prospects in the draft. Broken hamate bone before his senior year and ended up having to hit from the left side for the first time in his life. Hit like a machine STILL, but for not as much power. If he had been healthy, he would have gone much higher. High signing bonus demand, wanted to play in college, added to slip to mid-teens. Projects as a power-hitting 3rd basemand with potential to be a good switch-hitter.

Moviel was another powerful young pitching prospect. 6'7", Vandy commit, who had a lot of leverage, again, causing him to slip.

I think these mid-teen picks were nearly unsignable and were back-up plan types of picks.

Brooks was out of Tonawanda (sp?) HS in NY. I don't have any info on him. Didn't emerge as a prospect until his senior year of HS. Skinny kid at 6'3" tall and around 180 pounds.

This is all off the top of my head, so I can't gaurantee 100% accuracy.

RichH55
11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Veal is a smart kid who wants to go to medical school. He was asking 1 million signing bonus and the Sox offerred him about half last I had heard. He'll go to Arizona, probably get his degree in 3 or 4 years and re-enter the draft.

Very good prospect, would have been picked in the 3rd or 4th round on talent alone.

Wes Hodges was a Georgia Tech commit. Also a guy who had borderline top 5 round potential. I think he was one of the best HS 3rd base prospects in the draft. Broken hamate bone before his senior year and ended up having to hit from the left side for the first time in his life. Hit like a machine STILL, but for not as much power. If he had been healthy, he would have gone much higher. High signing bonus demand, wanted to play in college, added to slip to mid-teens. Projects as a power-hitting 3rd basemand with potential to be a good switch-hitter.

Moviel was another powerful young pitching prospect. 6'7", Vandy commit, who had a lot of leverage, again, causing him to slip.

I think these mid-teen picks were nearly unsignable and were back-up plan types of picks.

Brooks was out of Tonawanda (sp?) HS in NY. I don't have any info on him. Didn't emerge as a prospect until his senior year of HS. Skinny kid at 6'3" tall and around 180 pounds.

This is all off the top of my head, so I can't gaurantee 100% accuracy.

Thanks Randar.....is Veal a draft and follow type? (Not even sure how you get to be one of those) or are we done with his rights?

Same question with the other guys? And what the hell is a draft and follow now that I think about it?

chosk8
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Thanks Randar.....is Veal a draft and follow type? (Not even sure how you get to be one of those) or are we done with his rights?

Same question with the other guys? And what the hell is a draft and follow now that I think about it?

Veal is not a draft and follow. High school players who go to four-year colleges or college players who return to school–clubs lose their rights as soon as the player attends his first class. If a player attends junior college, it allows clubs to maintain exclusive signing rights to a drafted player until a week before the following draft. It gives a team 51 weeks to chart a player’s progress before making a commitment to signing him. That's the way I understand it. I'm not sure about the Brooks kid.