Buehrle got jobbed.

cheeses_h_rice
11-05-2003, 11:20 AM
What, no Aaron Rowand?

RKMeibalane
11-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
What, no Aaron Rowand?

And no Konerko? What's wrong with these people? How could they forget the greatest defensive first baseman ever?

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

The wit and wisdom (or lack thereof) of Jerry Manuel on full display once again.

FarWestChicago
11-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
What, no Aaron Rowand? The FOC's will be up in arms!! :D:

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 12:59 PM
:hitless
"I was robbed! What do you mean I can't win a gold glove in the AL? I'm the best defensive SS ever. That fact alone should give me every gold glove until the end of time. Heck most day, I do the job of the 3B and 2B also. That means I get 6 gold gloves a year. 3 positions, 2 leagues. I've got mad prop mutliplication skillz to go with my defensive prowess. If there was a gold glove for basic math, I'd win that too..."

LauraJ14
11-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Buehrle got jobbed.

What does Buehrle have to do to get noticed? All his numbers
were better than Mussina's.

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14

It is the Gold Glove for a pitcher, no realy cares. Mike has won it several times and hasn't commited an error this season so he gets the nod.

hold2dibber
11-05-2003, 01:33 PM

Pitching for the Yankees would probably help.

I think Buehrle is every bit as good as Mussina (or any other pitcher I've ever seen, for that matter) at fielding his position - but his pick-off move is what sets him apart. Teams don't even try to run on Buehrle. That makes him the best defensive pitcher in the league.

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Pitching for the Yankees would probably help.

I think Buehrle is every bit as good as Mussina (or any other pitcher I've ever seen, for that matter) at fielding his position - but his pick-off move is what sets him apart. Teams don't even try to run on Buehrle. That makes him the best defensive pitcher in the league.

He is a lefty.

LauraJ14
11-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
It is the Gold Glove for a pitcher, no realy cares. Mike has won it several times and hasn't commited an error this season so he gets the nod.

Buehrle didn't commit any errors either this year and I think he at least deserves some consideration instead of Mussina who won it for the 6th time. There were 10 starting pitchers this year that didn't commit an error.

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Buehrle didn't commit any errors either this year and I think he at least deserves some consideration instead of Mussina who won it for the 6th time. There were 12 starting pitchers this year that didn't commit an error.

Yes but if a guy has a track record and performs well out there, he gets it.

nasox
11-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Dont worry Buehrle will get it in another year i am positive.

Paulwny
11-05-2003, 02:13 PM
Let's not forget that this is the RAWLINGS' Golden Glove award. I believe they determine who the winners will be. I don't know what make of glove Buehrle uses but, it helps if it's a Rawlings.
I wonder what make of glove Palmeiro wore when he last won the award and only played ~ 30gms at first.

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 02:15 PM
http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/G/Gold_Glove_Award.stm

First awarded in December 1957 by the Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, the Gold Glove Award honors the top fielders at each position in each league. Honorees, originally selected by a panel of distinguished sportswriters, were chosen by fellow players starting in 1958. Since 1965, managers and coaches have decided the winners.

Beacuse of the subjective nature of the voting, the awards have often been criticized for honoring players based on reputation rather than statistics. Perhaps the most egregious example was the Gold Glove awarded in 1999 to the Rangers' Rafael Palmeiro, who had played just 28 games at first base and had just been named the league's outstanding DH.

The official Rawlings site
http://www.rawlings.com/bridge/goldglove.jsp

Paulwny
11-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/G/Gold_Glove_Award.stm

The official Rawlings site
http://www.rawlings.com/bridge/goldglove.jsp

Thanks for the info

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-05-2003, 04:33 PM
ouch..NL gold gloves were announced today. Maddux's 13 year streak ended because teammate Mike Hampton won it.

doublem23
11-05-2003, 05:24 PM
You mean awards in baseball are often politicized and don't always go to the most deserving candidate? Say it ain't so!

bc2k
11-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Benji Molina? Where was the gold in Minnesota?