PDA

View Full Version : Sox Shopping For Bargains? Article

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Article about what the Sox are thinking? My thought is we need to get Valentine to sign for $3 mil. He is not worth $5 mil.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

Procol Harum
11-05-2003, 10:02 AM
Man, I are stunned!! Who'd've thunk the Sox would be taking it on the cheap? I don't think BeeBee Richards is doing anything....

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 12:03 PM
I don't mind the Sox going Cheap on Valentine. He isn't worth $5 mil. We need some money to free up and he is a good starting place.

cheeses_h_rice
11-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I don't mind the Sox going Cheap on Valentine. He isn't worth $5 mil. We need some money to free up and he is a good starting place.

Bobby Valentine?

Joe Valentine?

Oh, you mean Jose *Valentin* without the "e"!

:)

Steve Bartman
11-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Ozzie wants Pudge on his team........interesting.

:reinsy
"Look Ozzie, just do what I say and don't demand anything."

Lip Man 1
11-05-2003, 01:09 PM
My only comment is that isn't it a shame that the 3rd largest city in the contry considers itself a small market team that always has to look for bargains.

Sigh...

Lip

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 01:15 PM
It is sad and even more sad that the Loyal Sox contingent don't show up to buy a ticket to a game.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Beer:

As soon as Uncle Jerry departs you won't be able to beat them away from the ballpark with a billy club.

Lip

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 01:20 PM
I doubt it. People blame JR for everything. It is time to move on and show who the real team in Chicago is.

Life is too short to hold grudges especially against something we all Love - THE SOX!

Iwritecode
11-05-2003, 01:22 PM
It is sad and even more sad that the Loyal Sox contingent don't show up to buy a ticket to a game.

First of all, give them something worth showing up for, and they will.

Secondly, the loyal ones are the ones that are there. As much as I hate to admit it, there's just not 40,000+ die-hard Sox fans in Chicago. Hell, there's not even 40,000+ die-hard Cub fans in Chicago. It's the casual fans that need to start showing up. For that to happen, see my first sentence...

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 01:22 PM
I doubt it. People blame JR for everything. It is time to move on and show who the real team in Chicago is.

Life is too short to hold grudges especially against something we all Love - THE SOX!

Your crazy to think we can catch the Cubs attendance, we are 3.5 thousand back

CubKilla
11-05-2003, 01:23 PM

The Organization won't be doing itself any favors with the casual baseball fan if they do not significantly increase payroll this offseason to coincide with a rumored ticket price increase.

Iwritecode
11-05-2003, 01:25 PM

It's not so much a grudge, it's the fact that he refuses to do whatever it takes to put a winning team on the field. He rather field a mildly competitive team, hope they get lucky every couple of years, and then laugh all the way to the bank...

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Your crazy to think we can catch the Cubs attendance, we are 3.5 thousand back

I never said catch the Cubs attendance. We all know the Cubs have a larger fan base in Chicago and across the country (thanks to day games on WGN-kids across the country come home from school and get to see them on TV).

It would be nice to see the Sox average 30,000+ for a season. That would be roughly 2.5 mil in attendance for the year. We do have the better park (and continuing to get better) and the more knowledgeable fans.

soxtalker
11-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
My only comment is that isn't it a shame that the 3rd largest city in the contry considers itself a small market team that always has to look for bargains.

Sigh...

Lip

While I appreciate your sentiment, I actually would much prefer that KW be looking primarily for bargains. The risk is lower; if they don't work out, you move onto other options. He seems to have done pretty well in digging up these, though it might be that we tend to remember the successes and forget about the failures more easily in the bargain category. (Then again, I do remember the acquisition of a certain relief pitcher near the end of the just completed season whose one appearance seemed to coincide with our demise.)

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
While I appreciate your sentiment, I actually would much prefer that KW be looking primarily for bargains. The risk is lower; if they don't work out, you move onto other options. He seems to have done pretty well in digging up these, though it might be that we tend to remember the successes and forget about the failures more easily in the bargain category. (Then again, I do remember the acquisition of a certain relief pitcher near the end of the just completed season whose one appearance seemed to coincide with our demise.)

It would be great if KW found another Loaiza out there. Work your magic KW!