PDA

View Full Version : Pitching? This is the real issue!


BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Most of the threads are focusing on everything except our on-going pitching dilemma. Thing about it...

2001 - David Wells = Bust
2002 - Todd Ritchie = Bozo
2003 - Bad Bart = Solid

Every off season we find the team searching for a number 1 pitcher. There are many questions that need to be answered.

What happened to the development of our young pitchers?
* Will Garland finally remain focused for every start?
* What happened to Rausch?
* What is Wright doing to improve?
* Who else is out there?
Will Buerhle rebound after a bad 1/2 of the season?
Can Loaiza continue to get batters to chase his pitches?
* Was last year a fluke?
* Can he even win 17 games this year?
Who will be our 5th starter?
* Schowenweis?
* Rausch?
* Cotts?
* Marte?????? maybe.
* Wright?

Any thoughts about next years starting pitchers?

StepsInSC
11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle


What happened to the development of our young pitchers?
* Will Garland finally remain focused for every start?
* What happened to Rausch?
* What is Wright doing to improve?
* Who else is out there?
Will Buerhle rebound after a bad 1/2 of the season?
Can Loaiza continue to get batters to chase his pitches?
* Was last year a fluke?
* Can he even win 17 games this year?
Who will be our 5th starter?
* Schowenweis?
* Rausch?
* Cotts?
* Marte?????? maybe.
* Wright?

Any thoughts about next years starting pitchers?

Steps answers all:
-Nah
-Who knows
-He's trying to stop sucking, but he sucks at that
-Ponson. No top tier pitchers we can afford
-Yes
-Last year probably wasn't a complete fluke
-My vote is no, maybe 15
-No
-Maybe
-God no
-Want him closing
-DEAR GOD NO

chosk8
11-05-2003, 10:30 AM
I thought about this same thing this morning on the way to work when I heard on the Score with Murph and Fred that Guillen was saying how he likes Sandy Alomar and Olivo, but wants I-Rod brought in. I'm thinking to myself, what about the starting pitching? If I remember correctly, didn't Kenny Williams stress in his press conference to fire Manuel, 'Pitching, pitching and more pitching'? I admit, our offense needs some tweaks, but our starting staff isn't looking too good right now. It banks on hoping Loaiza has another good year, Garland comes around, Buehrle bounces back and pitches like we know he can, and filling holes in the 4th and 5th spots.

Right now, I am numb to the whole situation. After the roller coaster ride-of-a-season and the big let down in September, I am having trouble getting excited right now. And until we make some moves to bolster our pitching, it will be hard to get too excited over the current team.

Wanne
11-05-2003, 10:34 AM
I'm hoping Honel has a strong showing in the spring and that Munoz reestablishes what he had during last years fall league...he seemed to kind of drop off the radar. I also look for Rauch to compete for the 5th spot now that he's healthy...his time has come.

My concern is how Ozzie handles the staff. To paraphrase something he said in an article when KW asked him how many pitchers he wanted to carry, Ozzie replied "6.....5 starters and 1 good reliever." Now I know he was kind of kidding....but that comment sent the hair on the back of my neck straight up.

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Wanne
I'm hoping Honel has a strong showing in the spring and that Munoz reestablishes what he had during last years fall league...he seemed to kind of drop off the radar. I also look for Rauch to compete for the 5th spot now that he's healthy...his time has come.

My concern is how Ozzie handles the staff. To paraphrase something he said in an article when KW asked him how many pitchers he wanted to carry, Ozzie replied "6.....5 starters and 1 good reliever." Now I know he was kind of kidding....but that comment sent the hair on the back of my neck straight up.

Wouldn't it be great if we actually had five solid starters to pitch six-seven innings, then bring in Marte for one or two and then close with Gordon. Is this a possibility?

poorme
11-05-2003, 12:07 PM
I'd sign Ponson and some "decent" guy like Rick Reed or John Thomsom. Then you'd have:

1. Buehrle
2. Loiaza
3. Ponson
4. Decent Guy
5. Garland

You might win 90 games with a staff like that...if everything else goes your way.

Hokiesox
11-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I'd sign Ponson and some "decent" guy like Rick Reed or John Thomsom. Then you'd have:

1. Buehrle
2. Loiaza
3. Ponson
4. Decent Guy
5. Garland

You might win 90 games with a staff like that...if everything else goes your way.

That'd be a good staff, but I can tell you from watching Ponson's Orioles days, we don't want him. We can do much better for the money we'd have to pay to get him. He'd be another Ritchie/Koch

poorme
11-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
That'd be a good staff, but I can tell you from watching Ponson's Orioles days, we don't want him. We can do much better for the money we'd have to pay to get him. He'd be another Ritchie/Koch

Yeah, I lived in DC for about 5 years. He was a bum, but he's improved over the past couple of years. Last year he was pretty much the same pitcher as Colon. It's a gamble I know, but what can we do?

RichH55
11-05-2003, 12:21 PM
Assuming we sign Ponson....I would also like to take a chance with Sterling Hitchcock

kraut83
11-05-2003, 12:41 PM
How about Ryan Dempster as cheap signing or a non-roster invitee to spring training? The Reds just released him yesterday

Some numbers:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6006

poorme
11-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by kraut83
How about Ryan Dempster as cheap signing or a non-roster invitee to spring training? The Reds just released him yesterday

Some numbers:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6006

Not a bad idea, but he wouldn't be able to pitch until 2005.

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Is Maddox a free agent? What would it cost to get him since it was not one of his best years?

RichH55
11-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Is Maddox a free agent? What would it cost to get him since it was not one of his best years?

Scott Boras is his agent...Looks like the Braves won't bring him back


I see him as a Darkhouse at best to come him......I don't think the Boras thing means Never, but it certainly doesn't help


I think Sterling Hitchcock is a name to watch(and yes I will be saying that 800 times)

34 Inch Stick
11-05-2003, 01:08 PM
My guy for cheap 5th starter this year is Pat Hentgen.

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Is Weaver worth looking at as the 5th?

soxtalker
11-05-2003, 01:14 PM
I don't recall the details, but I think that Rauch spent the year coming back from an injury. He had trouble early in the year, but I think that he pitched well late in the season. So, I wouldn't write him off.

CubKilla
11-05-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Scott Boras is his agent...Looks like the Braves won't bring him back


I see him as a Darkhouse at best to come him......I don't think the Boras thing means Never, but it certainly doesn't help

I think San Diego has the best shot at landing Maddux.

CubKilla
11-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I don't recall the details, but I think that Rauch spent the year coming back from an injury. He had trouble early in the year, but I think that he pitched well late in the season. So, I wouldn't write him off.

I only see the White Sox dealing for one SP at best this offseason. I'm looking for a Rauch or Cotts to be named the number 5 SP for Opening Day.

Tekijawa
11-05-2003, 01:19 PM
Here's my Idea, I know I'd come to the park every day if we picked up these two pitchers....

Jose Lima
David Wells!

Could you imagine the fights that these two Frank and Ozzie would have!!!

I'd pay to see it!

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Not that would be something else. Pay to watch fights on the field amongst the Sox.

bc2k
11-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

Will Buerhle rebound after a bad 1/2 of the season?


He already did.

BeerHandle
11-06-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
He already did.

Let me rephrase......Can Buehrle rebound and have a solid year? The Sox need him to pitch like he did in 2002.