PDA

View Full Version : FWIW: The Neifi Awards

DrCrawdad
11-05-2003, 02:12 AM
http://images.salon.com/col/src/kkaufman.gif

The Neifi Awards

It's the season of year-end baseball awards, and perhaps the least anticipated of the lot are the inaugural Neifi Awards, given to the league leaders in the Neifi Index, the stat invented by me, King Kaufman, the Neifi Perez of online daily sports columnists, as it were.

To review, the Neifi Index is the difference for each player between his team's winning percentage when he plays and when he does not. A high Neifi Index means a player's team is much better when he doesn't play than when he does. A negative number means the player is an anti-Neifi -- his team is better when he plays than when he sits. To guard against sample size oddities, the Neifi Index is confined to reserve players, those who've played between half and three-quarters of their team's games...

The A.L. and major league Anti-Neifi Award winner is Aaron Rowand of the White Sox at -.369. Chicago fired manager Jerry Manuel after its disappointing season, but maybe the Sox should have fired the outfielders who are keeping Rowand out of the lineup. And, remembering that cause-and-effect caveat, maybe not.

The White Sox were 64-29 (.688) when Rowand got into a game, 22-47 (.319) when he didn't. That's partly because he's the opposite, Neifi-wise, of a pinch-hitter. He's a late-inning defensive replacement, the type who's inserted into a game when the team has a lead. The Sox went 31-7 in games in which Rowand played but didn't bat. But that means they still went 38-22 when he did hit.

Aaron Rowand: Key to everything!

link (http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col/kaufman/2003/11/04/tuesday/index.html)

crector
11-05-2003, 03:19 AM
Some folks have too much time on their hands........

kittle42
11-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Those stats are obviously slanted as Rowand was brought in as a defensive replacement when they were winning in many of those games.

npdempse
11-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Those stats are obviously slanted as Rowand was brought in as a defensive replacement when they were winning in many of those games.

The article acknowledges that. But they guy still hit .370 after the break. And this was in a season when we weren't even sure if he'd play ball at all.

All the Rowand haters need to sit back and see what this kid can do if he plays a full season, with no off-season shenanigans.

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
The article acknowledges that. But they guy still hit .370 after the break. And this was in a season when we weren't even sure if he'd play ball at all.

All the Rowand haters need to sit back and see what this kid can do if he plays a full season, with no off-season shenanigans.

Don't worry, you probably will get the chance next year...

batmanZoSo
11-05-2003, 01:03 PM
As I recall, whether it be coincidence or not, we've always played well when Rowand's been in the lineup. He came up in 2001 and got a lot of playing time...we were one of the best teams in baseball in the second half of that year. Starting around the time he came up. Hey, it's true isn't it? In case there are any morons out there, NO I do not think Rowand is the one key to the Sox winning. :)

I do think he'll be fine as not quite an everyday player, but an almost-everyday player. Hopefully, Harris will be a serviceable backup, but I doubt it. We should get someone who can hit above the Mendoza line. Julio Ramirez is probably available. Thoughts?

(psych!)

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 01:07 PM
I'd just like to point out that the Sox LOST SEVEN GAMES where Rowand entered as a defensive replacement. That probably means a blown lead late in the game. Here all along I thought it was the bullpen's fault, but obviously Rowand is to blame...

ondafarm
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM

Last season's off-season shenanigans were entirely his fault. :angry:

His .370 after the break was against mop-up pitching. He hit only .208 against finesse pitching. This means he can't handle guys with good stuff, his success came against tired starters or garbage guys. His righty lefty numbers also show a lack of depth in his success.

He may get his chance to play regularly this coming year but will be cut loose once Reed is ready to come up.

Iwritecode
11-05-2003, 01:35 PM
I actually remember one game last year where he directly contributed to a win. It was the second game against the Cubs at the Cell. The game was back and forth all day but Rowand came up in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs and hit a game-tying 2-run shot into the left field seats.

This was also the game where JM got kicked out in the first inning, Jiminez ended up playing at third at the end of the game and also drove in the game winning run after they intentionally walked Tony G.

This was probably the most fun game I've ever been to.

I believe this was also the game I met Voodoo and Delben.

:)

maurice
11-05-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
His .370 after the break was against mop-up pitching. He hit only .208 against finesse pitching.

Whatever. Look, he's neither a .370 hitter nor a .208 hitter. Given 500 ABs, he's probably a .260-.280 hitter with 15-20 HR and few walks. Relative to other Sox players, his righty-lefty splits are fabulous.

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Whatever. Look, he's neither a .370 hitter nor a .208 hitter. Given 500 ABS, he's probably a .260-.280 hitter with 15-20 HR and few walks. Relative to other Sox players, his righty-lefty splits are fabulous.

The key word in that sentence being "few"...

ondafarm
11-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Whatever. Look, he's neither a .370 hitter nor a .208 hitter. Given 500 ABs, he's probably a .260-.280 hitter with 15-20 HR and few walks. Relative to other Sox players, his righty-lefty splits are fabulous.

In close and late situations he's a .200 hitter. He's a .240 hitter if given 500 ML ABs. With only about 30 BBs that keeps him below .300 OBP. Platooned with Harris, who was showing signs of adjusting in September (hit .333) Rowand might be acceptable.

nasox
11-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by crector
Some folks have too much time on their hands........

HAHAHAHA *****.

Seriously, dude, do you get paid for this?

maurice
11-05-2003, 03:58 PM
In close and late situations he's a .200 hitter.

This "stat" is based on 20 ABs.

He's a .240 hitter if given 500 ML ABs.

Rowand has more than 500 ML ABs over the past three seasons. His career AVE is .273.

Platooned with Harris, who was showing signs of adjusting in September (hit .333) Rowand might be acceptable.

The .333 is based on 18 ABs. For the record, Harris' carrer numbers are 324 ABs, 19 BB, .213 AVE, 11 extra-base hits.

I'd absolutely love it if Harris busted out an above-average OBP and 50 SBs in 2004, but his major-league showing so far makes Aaron Rowand look like Ted Williams.

crector
11-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by nasox
HAHAHAHA *****.

Seriously, dude, do you get paid for this?

What do you mean?

Paid for what?

doublem23
11-05-2003, 05:25 PM

I'm looking forward to that .500 or so season with immense anxiety.

ondafarm
11-05-2003, 06:08 PM
This "stat" is based on 20 ABs.

Rowand has more than 500 ML ABs over the past three seasons. His career AVE is .273.

The .333 is based on 18 ABs. For the record, Harris' carrer numbers are 324 ABs, 19 BB, .213 AVE, 11 extra-base hits.

I'd absolutely love it if Harris busted out an above-average OBP and 50 SBs in 2004, but his major-league showing so far makes Aaron Rowand look like Ted Williams.

Aaron Rowand's batting .370 after the All-Star break is based on 46 ABs.

And Ted Williams in his first 500 ML ABs was hitting .327 with 31 HRs and 145 RBIs.

I saw Harris when he first adjusted to AAA hitting. His command of the strike zone las September matched that adjustment period.

maurice
11-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Aaron Rowand's batting .370 after the All-Star break is based on 46 ABs.

Right . . . and I discredited that "stat," as well as your bad stats. They're all meaningless. The significant data support my claim that Rowand probably is a .260-.280 hitter (joy).

Your high opinion of Harris has no such support. Obviously, he was great at AAA in 2003. Unfortunately, that plus 18 ABs in September plus $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee. His wonderful September command of the strike zone resulted in more strikeouts than walks. Like I said, I want him to be a good major-league hitter, but he certainly hasn't proven it yet.

Rowand is a "proven" .260+ hitter. Harris is not. Whoopdeedo. I don't see the controversy here.