PDA

View Full Version : Alomar or Castillo? (Pipedream thread)

guillen4life13
11-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Luis Castillo is a free agent, and I think he would be a great fit on the South Side for one very important reason: he could be a good leadoff hitter.

Last year, he had a .314 BA, .381 OBP, and 21 SB's. Here would by my ideal lineup for next year, with a few other moves, quite possibly, but it's full of pipe dreams:

2B Castillo
DH Alomar (if they find a way to get rid of PK)
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
3B Crede
SS Valentin/Graffy
CF Reed
C Olivo

AND, somewhere I read (I think on these boards someplace) that Alomar might be willing to play SS if needed. If so, then, I think the Sox would be set.

2B Castillo
SS Alomar
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
DH Ventura ( :cool: )
3B Crede
CF Reed/Rowand/Harris
C Olivo

StepsInSC
11-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Luis Castillo is a free agent, and I think he would be a great fit on the South Side for one very important reason: he could be a good leadoff hitter.

Last year, he had a .314 BA, .381 OBP, and 21 SB's. Here would by my ideal lineup for next year, with a few other moves, quite possibly, but it's full of pipe dreams:

2B Castillo
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
3B Crede
SS Valentin/Graffy
CF Reed
C Olivo

AND, somewhere I read (I think on these boards someplace) that Alomar might be willing to play SS if needed. If so, then, I think the Sox would be set.

2B Castillo
SS Alomar
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
3B Crede
CF Reed/Rowand/Harris
C Olivo

I wouldn't, under any circumstances use the DH on Alomar. Its more his glove I like. But hell I'm all for bringing in Castillo :)

soxfan26
11-05-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13

2B Castillo
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
3B Crede
SS Valentin/Graffy
CF Reed
C Olivo

2B Castillo
SS Alomar
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
3B Crede
CF Reed/Rowand/Harris
C Olivo

Someone call Castillo's agent immediately. But if you spend the $5-7m it will cost to bring him in, why sign Alomar at all? Steps is right, he is a waste of the DH spot, and I don't consider him playing SS to be a reasonable option. When is the last time he played SS?

So why not:

2B Castillo
LF Lee
1B Thomas
RF Maggs
DH Konerko :whiner:
3B Crede
SS Valentin
CF Reed / Borchard
C Olivo

Let Ventura decompose somewhere else.

guillen4life13
11-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Let Ventura decompose somewhere else.

The difference between PK and Ventura is...

Ventura's cheaper. It hinges on the Sox getting rid of GIDPaulie.

Face it, the man is as close to useless as a player gets, and he's getting how much this coming year?? He can't run, and as of last year, he can't hit (he might be able to rebound, who knows), he's really not that great a fielder (he's not the awesome fielder many of you portray him to be. He's quite average in that respect), and he calls out players to the media without any right, causing clubhouse conflicts.

Get rid of him.

crector
11-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Is it too late to put Konerko on irrevocable waivers like Boston did with PK's fellow headcase Manny Ramirez?

guillen4life13
11-05-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by crector
Is it too late to put Konerko on irrevocable waivers like Boston did with PK's fellow headcase Manny Ramirez?

Not sure. I'm not knowledgable about all the technical mumbo-jumbo about dates and stuff.

toledosoxfan
11-05-2003, 08:15 AM
My vote is for Castillo. Look at that OBP he has been putting up. He would be great batting leadoff. Is there any chance in hell we have of signing him, even if we move Ordonez, Konerko, or Lee?

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 08:26 AM
It seems like there is a lot of back and forth on PK. The Sox need to trade PK for some prospects. We would dump is ever growing salary and improve our lineup. You ask, how can we improve the lineup w/out PK? See below....

Alomar - 2b
Lee - LF
Thomas - 1b
Mags - RF
Everett - DH
Crede - 3b
Rowand/Harris - CF
Valentine - SS
Olivo - C

guillen4life13
11-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Everett is completely out of the realm of possibility, and we all know it. We don't need another power hitter. Frank, Maggs, and Lee are good enough. We need good baserunners, and guys who know how to take walks. Stealing bases is not even a priority... but we can't afford to have any stupid baserunning blunders.

Guys who know how to move a runner over. A good, ideal lineup would be like this:

2B Castillo
CF A-Row/Reed
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
DH Daubach (remember him?)
SS Valentin
3B Crede
C Olivo

Or, who would be against signing Castillo to DH, so that we have Alomar at 2B? I know I'm sort of getting caught up on this, but Castillo and Alomar are the types of hitters this team needs right now. Other than being untraditional, I don't see what could be wrong with DH-ing the leadoff man. Hell, Ray ray went to Oakland and ended up DHing in 2002.

DH Castillo
2B Alomar
1B Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
SS Valentin
3B Crede
CF Rowand/Reed
C Olivo

In my opinion, both of these lineups are well rounded, and are geared to produce.