PDA

View Full Version : Let's wait and see - a thread for those who refuse to blindly praise or decry Ozzie

fquaye149
11-04-2003, 09:35 PM
What is the deal with people acting like they already know how good or bad a manager Ozzie is.

To those who hate him - who better could we have gotten? Surely if this is a commitment to mediocrity and tight pockets by JR then you're right...but the hire alone is not intrinsically worse than Cito.
Cito's most recent managerial years were well below the level of success we would expect from a new Sox manager, and he hasn't even managed in years. In addition he wasn't particularly enamored to be managing in the first place.

Didn't someone post a quote saying he wasn't really interested in coaching anytime soon? Think about it, if you've seen that quote, it's very likely the players have seen it. Think bulletin board material in reverse. It will be nice to have a manager who longed to coach this team, someone who (allegedly) can match Gardenhire in ardor.

And to the Ozzie worshippers -

Talk is cheap...I bet Manuel sounded good in his interviews when he was hired. Bevington too. What did you expect Ozzie to say about Frank? "Yes, Frank will be able to do whatever he wants. A different standard applies to him than to others."

It is possible to guess, and even hypothesize but come on guys....based on what I've seen so far I'm not convinced one way or another.... I've seen managers come and go on many teams, and their pre season spiels always sound beautiful....but a win's a win whether Cito, Ozzie, or Manuel's at the helm. At the end, or in the middle of the season let's take a look at Ozzie. Hell, can we at the very least wait for him to coach a spring training game?

The one thing I'm ecstatic about is the prospect of:

NO TINKERING

1951Campbell
11-04-2003, 10:19 PM
After weeks of over-analyzation of Cito vs. Ozzie...I was pounded into agnosticism about both of them. I see no reason to change until some baseball is played in March.

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
After weeks of over-analyzation of Cito vs. Ozzie...I was pounded into agnosticism about both of them. I see no reason to change until some baseball is played in March.

I agree. I am skepticly optimistic about the Ozzie hiring. I can see how he will be an improvement on JM from a fire perspective, but have no idea if he will be good at game day management.

There will be no shades of grey in Ozzie's management style. Whether that is for the best only time will tell...

MisterB
11-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
The one thing I'm ecstatic about is the prospect of:

NO TINKERING

Since Ozzie's never managed a game in his life, we have no idea whether he'll tinker or not.

fquaye149
11-05-2003, 08:38 AM
i'm ecstatic about the PROSPECT of no tinkering...the shred of hope that ozzie won't tinker

delben91
11-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Now this is a thread I can relate to. I've been in isolation in the engineering labs here at school, and I didn't even hear about Ozzie being hired until around 2am Tuesday morning. Thus, I'm behind on all the gossip, and opinions, and what not. Personally, based on the options the Sox reportedly had, I don't think they did poorly choosing Ozzie. Now, how will he be as a manager? Ask me in mid-May.

Hope everyone's doing well here, hopefully it won't be a month and a half until my next post!

:gulp:

GO SOX!!