PDA

View Full Version : Hawkins no hitter

mike squires
11-04-2003, 09:09 PM
While browsing through Floridians bio I saw that he was at the game Hawkins threw that no hitter and still lost. Does anyone have that game on tape (Lip?) and how old were you and what are your memories of that game Floridian? I"m a sucker for nostaligic. :)

hose
11-04-2003, 09:21 PM
I remember Jim Leyritz misplayed a wind blown ball in left field that lead to some runs.

The Sox win that day was a total fluke. :D:

mike squires
11-04-2003, 09:24 PM
I remember listening to that game on the radio and hearing the fans sing Na Na Na Na when Hawkins departed. At least I think so.

The_Floridian
11-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Mike,

Well, I was 11 years old and in Chicago for the first time in my life. I was excited to see the game because the Sox had spring training in Sarasota, where I grew up. My grandfather got tickets for himself, myself, my grandmother and my mom.

The four of us had driven up from Dayton, Ohio (where my grandparents live) to see family. It was summer vacation for me and while my sister rotted away at summer camp (poor thing) I was touring the midwest.

The fact that I was at the final anniversary and got the commemerative bat was just a total fluke. I had no idea it was going to happen. But some days are like that. You go do something you hadn't planned on and suddenly you've got a memory you can cherish for the rest of your life.

And in this case, a baseball bat as well.

The stadium looked beautiful to me. The white brick in the front...the green seats. My mom bought me a game program, which I'm sad to say I've lost since. I don't remember much other than the final couple of innings, but I remember a lot of laughter when the two fly balls were dropped. That was when we really began to realize what we were seeing. That we were watching something historical.

I remember feeling bad for Hawkins. Sad even. I remember that it was the same week that two pitchers had pitched no-hitters on the same day. That week, an article ran in SI about all three no-no's with the title, "No. No. Oh no."

1990 was a good year for me. I saw CHicago for the first time, saw my first White Sox game outside of spring training, and cheered with my grandfather, a lifelong Reds fan, as Cincinnati won the series.

Now I'm 25 and engaged to be married to a woman who had never even watched a baseball game before we met, and is now a rabid White Sox fan. I look forward to taking my kid to a Sox game someday and telling them all about the time I saw Andy hawkins throw a no-hitter and lose.

I will then proceed to tell my child about how the White Sox won the 2004 World Series in a four-game sweep of the Chicago Cubs, and then repeated the following year.

And then we will laugh for a long time.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2003, 10:26 PM
It's funny that you ask....

As a matter of fact I have the entire game on audio and highlights from the game on video. If you are interested please e-mail me at mliptak1@ida.net and maybe we can work something out.

The game was played on July 1, 1990 the 80th anniversary of the opening of Comiskey Park.

Both Hawkins and Sox starter Greg Hibbard were matching no hitters through five innings.

The first Sox baserunner, Sammy Sosa, got on with a difficult ground ball to 3rd. Mike Pagliarulo bobbled it That was ruled an error.

The Sox scored all of their runs in the 8th inning when loading the bases on the error and two walks. With two out Robin Ventura hit a deep fly to left that got caught in a crosswind and blew away from Jim Leyritz. It bounced off the tip of his glove for an error and three runs. The next hitter (Calderon I think) then hit a fly to right that Jesse Barfield lost in the sun and dropped for still another error. The play scored Ventura with the final run in the 4-0 win.

When you start winning games without a hit, you KNOW it's going to be your year. And it was for the Sox and it seems they haven't caught a damned break since!

By the way when MLB updated the record books the new rulings threw out that "no hitter" because Hawkins lost the game. Melido Perez of the Sox also was booted out of the record book for throwing a six inning rain shortened no hitter against the Yanks that season in New York.

Lip

doublem23
11-04-2003, 10:54 PM
It was never officially ruled a "no-hitter" because he didn't go nine innings. But in the hearts of Sox fans, Andy Hawkins will always be the guy who lost the no-hitter. :smile:

Paulwny
11-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

The first Sox baserunner, Sammy Sosa, got on with a difficult ground ball to 3rd. Mike Pagliarulo bobbled it That was ruled an error.
Lip

To keep it factual, according to the Baseball Library, Mike Blowers was at 3rd.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/excerpts/records_registry20.stm

maurice
11-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Some very . . . um . . . interesting outfield "defense" that day. It also was bat day. I've got the bat somewhere.

voodoochile
11-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
It was never officially ruled a "no-hitter" because he didn't go nine innings. But in the hearts of Sox fans, Andy Hawkins will always be the guy who lost the no-hitter. :smile:

Actually, they changed the rules a few years ago. That game and others like it throughout history (including rain shortened no-no's) were originally all listed as no hitters in the record books. Then they revised the standard for no hitters to only include games that went 9 innings and which the pitcher throwing the no hitter actually won. So even if that game had been played in NY and Hawkins had pitched a full 9 innings of no-hit ball, he still wouldn't get credit.

ihatethecubs
11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
i was 8 years old and i was there and i remember everything about that game. it was also bat day, and that bat is one of my favorite sox things that i own