PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Talk

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 08:00 PM
OK, kids. A comment by a poster in another thread got me thinking and here is a way outside the box scenario:

Trade:

From Texas:
Blalock 450K
A.Rod 21 MIL

From ChiSox:
Mags 14 Mil
Konerko 8 Mil
Koch 6 Mil

Sox get short term salary relief and a hugely marketable player that can't help but get the attention of Chicago and a young stud in Blalock. Our SS question is solved. Texas get long term salary relief and an All Star w/slightly less production than A.Rod at a better price. They can even sign him long-term.

Follow that with a few low-cost FA's in Mike Cameron for his defense and Ellis Burks to play RF/DH. Burks can rotate at DH w/Blalock and Thomas while imparting his knowledge on to LTP, Rowand and Reed when he's called up mid-season.

Fantasy, you say? I think the numbers work out. And Alomar would be nuts not to sign for around 4-5 MIL for 2 years. That gives us incredible strength up the middle, a highly marketable team and enough veterans to keep Thomas in a comfort zone.

Imagine this line-up

Alomar
Lee
A. Rod
Thomas
Burks
Blalock
Crede
Cameron
Olivo

w/A.Rod in a WS uni, I even bet the JR would open up the bank enough to get us a few solid middle relievers from the glut that will be in free agency.

Dadawg_77
11-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
OK, kids. A comment by a poster in another thread got me thinking and here is a way outside the box scenario:

Trade:

From Texas:
Blalock 450K
A.Rod 21 MIL

From ChiSox:
Mags 14 Mil
Konerko 8 Mil
Koch 6 Mil

Sox get short term salary relief and a hugely marketable player that can't help but get the attention of Chicago and a young stud in Blalock. Our SS question is solved. Texas get long term salary relief and an All Star w/slightly less production than A.Rod at a better price. They can even sign him long-term.

Follow that with a few low-cost FA's in Mike Cameron for his defense and Ellis Burks to play RF/DH. Burks can rotate at DH w/Blalock and Thomas while imparting his knowledge on to LTP, Rowand and Anderson when he's called up mid-season.

Fantasy, you say? I think the numbers work out. And Alomar would be nuts not to sign for around 4-5 MIL for 2 years. That gives us incredible strength up the middle, a highly marketable team and enough veterans to keep Thomas in a comfort zone.

Imagine this line-up

Alomar
Lee
A. Rod
Thomas
Burks
Blalock
Crede
Cameron
Olivo

w/A.Rod in a WS uni, I even bet the JR would open up the bank enough to get us a few solid middle relievers from the glut that will be in free agency.

How do you get Blalock, Thomas, Crede and Burks in the lineup at the same time? I really think you are having a pipe dream having Burks in right every day.

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Burks is 38 and coming off of an injury, so it's possible that we can get him on the cheap. The Indians are in youth movement while the Sox can keep his games in the field down by rotating him at DH or giving him days off with LTP or Rowand in right.

This is crazy talk, but the question is: Would Texas do it?
I think so. And that opens all the other doors.

Dadawg_77
11-04-2003, 08:13 PM
Burks is 38 and coming off of an injury, so it's possible that we can get him on the cheap. The Indians are in youth movement while the Sox can keep his games in the field down by rotating him at DH or giving him days off with LTP or Rowand in right.

This is crazy talk, but the question is: Would Texas do it?
I think so. And that opens all the other doors.

They might if they want to clear some major salary. A Rod is still signed for 8 more years, Mags contract is over in one. I wasn't saying the Sox couldn't aquire Burks, but that he can't play the OF. Joe and Hank both play 3b, unless you move one fo them to first, you can't have both in the field.

nodiggity59
11-04-2003, 08:19 PM
i love this deal. hey - mags is cheap in their eyes and now they have a chance to build a team. i guess they just gotta decide whether they want to admit defeat or not.

Arod would work for us for at least 3 years, after which we could be in the same situation as the Rangers

voodoochile
11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
keep the pink. I don't see JR authorizing that kind of guaranteed money, ever and the Rangers have gone on record as saying they aren't trading ARod. Even if the second half of that turns out to be false, the first half never will be.

Also, I think the Rangers would want more pitching in trade.

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 08:29 PM
I dunno about the pitching. I think Texas would do just about anything to rid themselves of A.Rod. And I think that JR would open the books. I think he sees A.Rod as a potential Jordan of the White Sox. The way he hoped Frank would be. AROD = $$ in marketing and is the best way to compete with the Cubs for Chi-Town.

As an added bonus, the Rangers might be able to lure Pettitte from the Yanks. I'd love for them to lose another bullet.

Brian26
11-04-2003, 11:15 PM
No way will Blalock be making $450k for very long.

StepsInSC
11-04-2003, 11:18 PM
Texas seems adament that A-Rod IS in their future though, I don't see him going anywhere.

gosox41
11-05-2003, 08:25 AM

Trade:

From Texas:
Blalock 450K
A.Rod 21 MIL

From ChiSox:
Mags 14 Mil
Konerko 8 Mil
Koch 6 Mil

Follow that with a few low-cost FA's in Mike Cameron for his defense and Ellis Burks to play RF/DH. Burks can rotate at DH w/Blalock and Thomas while imparting his knowledge on to LTP, Rowand and Reed when he's called up mid-season.

Imagine this line-up

Alomar
Lee
A. Rod
Thomas
Burks
Blalock
Crede
Cameron
Olivo

ROFLMAO. This is hilarious stuff. I'd say the chances of it happening are zero, but at least it gave me a laugh.

Bob

thepaulbowski
11-05-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Texas seems adament that A-Rod IS in their future though, I don't see him going anywhere.

There only adament until the right deal comes along. Listening to comments their upper brass make, it seems to me they are just doing the politically correct thing with A-rod. There is no way they wouldn't take a deal to rid themselves of his contract (if it made sense).

dickallen15
11-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Texas would never do this. You aren't going to get 2 all stars, one of them being ARod for Maggs and Konerko and Koch. Texas would have to move their franchise. A good player and 2 worthless ones, for a sure Hall of Famer, and a star in the making. It would never happen. This is crazy talk, I'll give you that.

SoxOnTop
11-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Texas would never do this. You aren't going to get 2 all stars, one of them being ARod for Maggs and Konerko and Koch. Texas would have to move their franchise. A good player and 2 worthless ones, for a sure Hall of Famer, and a star in the making. It would never happen. This is crazy talk, I'll give you that.

Are you kidding? We're talking about 8 more years and 200 MIL. Of course they would. Mag is a perenial All-Star. Konerko was an All-Star in 2002 and could easily return to form and we'd make them take Koch just for taking 200 MiL off their payroll. We get the short term releif and they get the long term releif. This has very little to do with talent and everything to do with payroll flexibility. In 2005 Texas would only be on the hook for 8 million for Konerko and could conceivably sign Mags for 4 years $50 mil who only is a notch down from A-Rod offensively.

fquaye149
11-05-2003, 09:51 AM
No lie:

I would not be upset if we traded

Maggs, Paulie, and Koch for A-Rod... I think the world of him as a player

however...why would the Rangers want to take on the same salary burden(+) for paulie and Koch?....they must be REAL gamblers...

moochpuppy
11-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
How do you get Blalock, Thomas, Crede and Burks in the lineup at the same time? I really think you are having a pipe dream having Burks in right every day.

It's actually not that difficult.

Crede 3B
Thomas 1B
Blalock RF
Burks DH

or

Crede 3B
Blalock 1B
Thomas DH
Burks RF

SoxOnTop
11-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
No lie:

I would not be upset if we traded

Maggs, Paulie, and Koch for A-Rod... I think the world of him as a player

however...why would the Rangers want to take on the same salary burden(+) for paulie and Koch?....they must be REAL gamblers...

They'd take it on becuase they are going to stink this year anyways. That way, they take their hit in 2004 and have $20 MIL free to spend as they wish in 2005.

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
It's actually not that difficult.

Crede 3B
Thomas 1B
Blalock RF
Burks DH

or

Crede 3B
Blalock 1B
Thomas DH
Burks RF

Burks isn't an everyday OF anymore. Not at 38 coming off of surgey. Blalock has been a 3B his entire career, putting him in right would create a very young Carlos Lee out there.

SoxOnTop
11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Burks isn't an everyday OF anymore. Not at 38 coming off of surgey. Blalock has been a 3B his entire career, putting him in right would create a very young Carlos Lee out there.

That's OK. Even if we don't put Blalock out ther we still have Rowand and LTP to platoon with Burks. And I'd expect a mid-season (if not sooner) call-up from Reed after hits the crap out of AAA. We can put Blalock at 1st in a rotation with Frank, too. I'm affraid what the Mad Tinkerer would have done with this combo, but we don't have him around anymore.