PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie getting caught

bennyw41
11-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Feel free to delete this post once its answered, but whats the deal with the teal text, and deep pink text rules....I am not following, i think one means sarcastic. Secondly, Anyone remember when ozzie got caught TWICE with the hidden ball trick?

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Feel free to delete this post once its answered, but whats the deal with the teal text, and deep pink text rules....I am not following, i think one means sarcastic.

Teal is sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek (e.g., "That Billy Koch acquisition sure worked out nicely!"). Deeppink is a pipedream (e.g., I think the Sox should up the payroll to $100 million to sign Colon, Milwood and Vlad Guerrero).

pudge
11-04-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think the Sox should up the payroll to $100 million to sign Colon, Milwood and Vlad Guerrero.

And why is that a pipe dream??

jabrch
11-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Because we will have no money left after signing Pettite and Ponson and getting A-Rod and Blalock for Mags, Koch and Konerko.

steff
11-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Anything logical is a pipe dream with this management.

Paulwny
11-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
Secondly, Anyone remember when ozzie got caught TWICE with the hidden ball trick?

I'm the one who brought it up, years and teams ?
1) Ozzie slides safely into 2nd, not noticing that the ss never returned the ball to the pitcher, Ossie, alwayas talking and can't hear the 1st or 3rd base coaches, starts talking to the ss and steps off the bag and is tagged out.
2) same as 1, talking to the ss, steps off the bag and is tagged out by the 2nd baseman.
3) Not the hidden ball trick--- Ozzie had a habit of switching hands after diving back to 1st base after a pick off attempt, before he stood up or called time. Wel, he was caught once that I know off inbetween switches.

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
getting A-Rod and Blalock for Mags, Koch and Konerko.

Can we make this "pipedream" it's own thread? I haven't seen it debated, but why not? I may be on crack, but it seems to make some sense....

poorme
11-04-2003, 07:26 PM
Ozzie caught a couple of guys with the hidden ball trick, so it's a wash.

rmusacch
11-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Can we make this "pipedream" it's own thread? I haven't seen it debated, but why not? I may be on crack, but it seems to make some sense....

No way in hell do the Rangers do that deal. Rodriguez is the best player in baseball and Blalock is going to be a stud.

oldcomiskey
11-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I'm the one who brought it up, years and teams ?
1) Ozzie slides safely into 2nd, not noticing that the ss never returned the ball to the pitcher, Ossie, alwayas talking and can't hear the 1st or 3rd base coaches, starts talking to the ss and steps off the bag and is tagged out.
2) same as 1, talking to the ss, steps off the bag and is tagged out by the 2nd baseman.
3) Not the hidden ball trick--- Ozzie had a habit of switching hands after diving back to 1st base after a pick off attempt, before he stood up or called time. Wel, he was caught once that I know off inbetween switches.

no, he was caught twice in one season with the hidden ball trick--I dont remember what year it was but Gary Thorne was the sox announcer then------the second time he was caught by Dave Bergman of the Tigers

Paulwny
11-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Ozzie caught a couple of guys with the hidden ball trick, so it's a wash.

Too many people, including me, read between the lines.
Never in any threads have I mentioned that Ozzie would be a GOOD or BAD manager. I only brought this item up because Ozzie's head wasn't always in the game. I really hope this has changed. I don't know what type of manager Ozzie will be.

The real down side to Ozzie's hiring is the apparent lack of money commitment by JR to acquire some fa's.

anewman35
11-05-2003, 10:30 AM

The real down side to Ozzie's hiring is the apparent lack of money commitment by JR to acquire some fa's.

Why do you assume JR acquiring some free agents has anything to do with what manager he picked?

Paulwny
11-05-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Why do you assume JR acquiring some free agents has anything to do with what manager he picked?

The only 2 who were actually in the running were Ozzie and Gaston. Gaston, according to posts here citing articles in the Chi. press, wanted a commitment from JR for a veteran team. Ozzie made no such demands, he just wants to manage.

anewman35
11-05-2003, 10:43 AM
The only 2 who were actually in the running were Ozzie and Gaston. Gaston, according to posts here citing articles in the Chi. press, wanted a commitment from JR for a veteran team. Ozzie made no such demands, he just wants to manage.

That's true. That doesn't mean it's the only reason he picked Ozzie. Maybe he was willing to make the commitment, but thought Ozzie was better anyways. Maybe he was planning on making the commitment and then lying (most of you seem to think JR is always lying, anyway). I'm sure that no matter who the Sox hired, KW would put together the best team he could under his budget - it makes no sense to assume the budget would change based on the manager.

KingXerxes
11-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Maybe this isn't the perfect thread to post this message, but here is my observation of the hiring of Ozzie Guillen.

This is Jerry Reinsdorf's doing, and KW is simply playing the part of subordinate when he speaks of how "WOWWED!" he was during the interview process.

Jerry Reinsdorf has an unfortunate knack of falling in love with personalities - and then assuming that the paying public will fall in love with them as well (See - Appointment of Ken Harrelson as GM, and subsequent posting of Harrelson's picture on the White Sox schedule). He then mistakenly surmises that this "personality" will morph into increased success in both the standings and the ticket office. It usually doesn't, and in this case (to me at least), the signs of this failure are starting to appear very early in the experiment.

I don't like the way Guillen lit into Thomas at his initial press conference - it was stupid and pretty much uncalled for. Then yesterday he makes some stupid comments comparing Pudge Rodriguez to Alomar and Olivo. This guy is going to yammer and yammer until this team becomes a three ring circus.

You think the White Sox get no respect from the media now? Who remembers when that idiot Harrelson was turning the organization upside down from the general managers chair - it was a circus then as well. Wait - it's coming.

Dadawg_77
11-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Maybe this isn't the perfect thread to post this message, but here is my observation of the hiring of Ozzie Guillen.

This is Jerry Reinsdorf's doing, and KW is simply playing the part of subordinate when he speaks of how "WOWWED!" he was during the interview process.

Jerry Reinsdorf has an unfortunate knack of falling in love with personalities - and then assuming that the paying public will fall in love with them as well (See - Appointment of Ken Harrelson as GM, and subsequent posting of Harrelson's picture on the White Sox schedule). He then mistakenly surmises that this "personality" will morph into increased success in both the standings and the ticket office. It usually doesn't, and in this case (to me at least), the signs of this failure are starting to appear very early in the experiment.

I don't like the way Guillen lit into Thomas at his initial press conference - it was stupid and pretty much uncalled for. Then yesterday he makes some stupid comments comparing Pudge Rodriguez to Alomar and Olivo. This guy is going to yammer and yammer until this team becomes a three ring circus.

You think the White Sox get no respect from the media now? Who remembers when that idiot Harrelson was turning the organization upside down from the general managers chair - it was a circus then as well. Wait - it's coming.

Ah, nice post with some good points, but I got my hopes up for a trademark King post with Farmer, Hawk and the crew talking about Ozzie getting pick off with the hidden ball trick.

FarWestChicago
11-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Ah, nice post with some good points, but I got my hopes up for a trademark King post with Farmer, Hawk and the crew talking about Ozzie getting pick off with the hidden ball trick. Yeah, me too. :smile:

RKMeibalane
11-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by steff
Anything logical is a pipe dream with this management.

Good call, Steff.

vegyrex
11-05-2003, 01:21 PM

Yep, Cito wanted to much.

Thunderstruck30
11-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Is teal still the color for sarcasm or did we officially change it to purple since the Marlins wear teal?

Daver
11-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Is teal still the color for sarcasm or did we officially change it to purple since the Marlins wear teal?

It's teal for those that choose to use it.

KingXerxes
11-06-2003, 03:24 PM
:rooney

"My God Harrelson! Why can't we just go out to eat now? If I knew you were inviting us over to spend a week just doing crap like this, I would have said 'No thanks!'......can we just get going?"

:DJ

"Yeah Ken - this is really boring, and I'm starving - let's go."

:hawk

"Nope - sorry guys, but the game isn't over until it's over. Now I just got a Community Chest card that says I won second place in a beauty contest - Eddie, give me ten dollars from the bank there."

:farmer

"Here's your ten dollars Hawk! Gee you're good at this game, we never played this when I didn't do my homework while not attending Notre Dame in beautiful South Bend, Indiana. Hey did any of you guys hear that Ozzie Guillen was named manager for the White Sox?"

"No duh Farmer - it's only been about three days since it happened."

"Hawk......do you remember when Ozzie Guillen was picked off by the hidden ball trick? Huh? Do you? Huh? Could you tell us?"

"Okay Eddie - just hold on. It's my turn........c'mon....stretch...........stretch.... ....mercy....a three."

continued

Dadawg_77
11-06-2003, 03:29 PM
[B...cut to save band with[/B]

Thank you now this looks good.

KingXerxes
11-06-2003, 03:37 PM

"Now a lot of people have been calling the show and asking why Ozzie Guillen got picked off like that so many times since he's been named manager.........."

"Not literally since he's been named manager - I don't think he's been picked off at all since Monday - but people are asking why since he became manager......."

"Don't you ever interrupt me again Farmer........"

"What show are you talking about???? We've been in this house since Sunday!"

"Well anyway when you've been around this game as long as I have......you've pretty much seen and done about everything there is to do in baseball. So let me tell you all where the hidden ball trick was invented, and who invented it. I was a young man when I was watching a game at Ol' League Park in Cleveland, when a young shortstop named Howard Bahlle hid behind his big ol' second baseman Ted Sizemore, and tagged Ol' Hoss Radbourn out while he was leading off of second base. Everybody in the crowd of 78,000 erupted because it was the first time this play had ever been tried...............Mercy..........I remember it like it was yesterday..........the wind was whippin' off of ol' Lake Superior - as it always did in Cleveland........they used to call League Park the Mistake by the Lake, well anyway, Ol' Hoss had to run back to the bench redassin' like you wouldn't believe. I was sittin' on the end of the bench, and Ol' Mayo Smith was givin' it to Hoss like you wouldn't believe........."

:DJ

"Hoss Radbourn?? In League Park?? What the hell are you talking about."

"That's why it called the hidden Bahlle trick."

"But only the first one was the Hidden Bahlle Trick, after that it became the Hidden Ball trick - unless of course Howard Bahlle did this more than just the one time. Did he do it more than one time Hawk?"

"Did it six times in that game Farmer.............six times............I love Mayo Smith."

harwar
11-06-2003, 04:04 PM
stop it .. your killin me .. funny stuff that.

FarWestChicago
11-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Now that's what this board needed. Thanks, King!

:bandance:

KingXerxes
11-06-2003, 04:06 PM
farwestchicago - Did you ever read the post I did about Blue Moon Odom and the "heavy" fastball? I need to know where to find it so I can print it out. My son wants to see it.

I think I posted it in August or September, but I can't remember where - any help is appreciated.

FarWestChicago
11-06-2003, 04:12 PM
farwestchicago - Did you ever read the post I did about Blue Moon Odom and the "heavy" fastball? I need to know where to find it so I can print it out. My son wants to see it.

I think I posted it in August or September, but I can't remember where - any help is appreciated. Here you go, King. LOL!!

"heavy" fast ball (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=24096)

KingXerxes
11-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Got it - Thank you.

PaulDrake
11-06-2003, 04:34 PM

You think the White Sox get no respect from the media now? Who remembers when that idiot Harrelson was turning the organization upside down from the general managers chair - it was a circus then as well. Wait - it's coming. I hope you're wrong but I think you're right.

FarWestChicago
11-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Got it - Thank you. Any time, King. :D:

KingXerxes
11-06-2003, 04:59 PM
I would like to welcome the great Paul Drake to these boards! For those of you who may not remember it was Paul Drake and his shocking head of white hair that bailed Raymond Burr out of many an Erle Stanley Gardner mess. Welcome Paul - light up one of those patented smokes and take a load off.

As far as knowing if I'm right or not, if I see one commercial featuring Ozzie Guillen (not just with him in it - but featuring him) then I'll know I'm on the right track. Guillen speaks with such a heavy Venezuelan accent that I can't imagine Reinsdorf trying to make him the pitch guy for the team - but one never knows with this organization.

PaulDrake
11-07-2003, 12:22 PM
I would like to welcome the great Paul Drake to these boards! For those of you who may not remember is was Paul Drake and his shocking head of white hair that bailed Raymond Burr out of many an Erle Stanley Gardner mess. Welcome Paul - light up one of those patented smokes and take a load off.

As far as knowing if I'm right or not, if I see one commercial featuring Ozzie Guillen (not just with him in it - but featuring him) then I'll know I'm on the right track. Guillen speaks with such a heavy Venezuelan accent that I can't imagine Reinsdorf trying to make him the pitch guy for the team - but one never knows with this organization. Thanks a lot. You're a very keen observer. I always envied the Drake character. He had more information pipelines than any PI I've ever known. Perry would ask him to do a background check at 2AM and by 2:30 PD would have a detailed report that included everything about the guy, even his shoe size.

The second part of your response just had me shaking my head. How did Reinsdorf make all that money at Balcor? Oh well, we Sox fans will just have to wait and see. Hope we don't become the MLB version of Comedy Central. You don't think we are already do you?

Thanks again. :)

KingXerxes
11-07-2003, 12:38 PM
I suspect that Reinsdorf made his money at BALCOR like all the other big real estate syndicators of the 1970's & 1980's - by taking a cut off the top just for raising the money, and then investing what was left (and taking a fee for that), and then managing the properties (for a fee of course), and then selling them off to another syndicator (and collecting a commission at closing for the sale). All the while cranking out huge tax losses (as well as real economic losses) to his limited partners which were effectively being subsidized by the Federal Government until they wised up in 1986. Hey can you guess which industry I work in yet?

My point about Guillen being the pitch man for the club isn't solely rooted in my imagination. I seem to remember a commercial with him saying something to the effect of,

"It's what Sox fans want."

Only it didn't come out like that at all. It was barely understandable due to his heavy accent. Even the Cubs have realized that it's far better just to show video of Sosa without having him open his mouth and say something, because you can hardly understand that guy as well. I'm praying that the White Sox marketing staff realizes this obvious point, but again, this is the same marketing staff which has given us the past ten years of so of annoying spokesmen, annoying spokeswomen, Stephen and the like. Anything is possible here.