PDA

View Full Version : New Renovation Pictures...

anewman35
11-04-2003, 01:22 PM
...are on whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com). If you thought the ones from outside were amazing, well, you'll love these...

fledgedrallycap
11-04-2003, 01:43 PM
Those are terrific. Just the cutting off of a dozen rows and the large lip roof does give it a less intimidating look

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 02:00 PM
Hopefully the White Sox keep updating the pics from inside the ballpark during the course of the '03-'04 and '04-'05 renovations. They should have posted pics like this during the completed phases too.

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 02:10 PM
This is awesome baby!

I thought the UD looked smaller when they first took out the top seats, but now that the concrete has been removed as well, it looks smaller and even more "intimate."

Taking off the top ten rows is like lowering the pitch by 2 degrees. Perception is reality.

Also, does anybody know what the roof holes are for? It looks like they set up a system of m-80s and blew em off just for kicks.

And could they be changing the outfield fence? The padding is clearly gone and it's just a chain link skeleton right now. Actually, they change the padding at least a tad every year. I hope they go with the charcoal gray of the outfield light standards. .

GregoryEtc
11-04-2003, 02:10 PM
man are they moving fast. Amazing! What does it look like they're doing with the first few rows of the Upper Deck? They look different.

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 02:11 PM
One other thing...why do they take out every other row in some of the bottom sections of the upper deck?

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Also, does anybody know what the roof holes are for? It looks like they set up a system of m-80s and blew em off just for kicks.

Welders are up there cutting holes in the panels. I would think this has to do with the wind not ripping the roof panels away once they're unbolted..... but I could be wrong.

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 02:16 PM
One other thing...why do they take out every other row in some of the bottom sections of the upper deck?

The camera wells?

voodoochile
11-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Welders are up there cutting holes in the panels. I would think this has to do with the wind not ripping the roof panels away once they're unbolted..... but I could be wrong.

Might have to do with lowering the weight so they are easier to haul off with a crain, or even giving the crain a place to pick them up. Also, if a cust of wind catches those things while they are hanging from the crain, they will act like a sail and start swinging around.

Pure speculation on my part.

FanOf14
11-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Might have to do with lowering the weight so they are easier to haul off with a crain, or even giving the crain a place to pick them up. Also, if a gust of wind catches those things while they are hanging from the crain, they will act like a sail and start swinging around.

See the building of the Brewers' stadium as an example of crane+large heavy object+wind=tragedy.

doublem23
11-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Looks good. When are they going to paint them green? :D:

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 02:48 PM
You guys got it with the roof.

As for the lower UD rows that are missing, I don't know what that could be. They're not putting in padded seats for the first few rows because every OTHER row is missing.

It could be they're doing it for standing room purposes during construction. They need that space for something...

Tekijawa
11-04-2003, 02:52 PM
The Uppedeck is too small and not steep enough!

Scotty347
11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
And could they be changing the outfield fence? The padding is clearly gone and it's just a chain link skeleton right now. Actually, they change the padding at least a tad every year. I hope they go with the charcoal gray of the outfield light standards. .

I'm pretty sure they take this padding off the fences every winter.

wsgdf
11-04-2003, 02:55 PM

My guess is those spots are where whatever structures need to be built to hold up the new roof are going to be mounted.

That looks sweet!

wsgdf
11-04-2003, 02:57 PM
or maybe not... now that I look again, that would be a lot of roof supports...

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 02:58 PM
wsgdf,

That can't be it for a few reasons. For one, the spots are random. Also, if you were gonna put poles up there, you would only use one row per section. Two, they're not gonna have poles.

anewman35
11-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf
My guess is those spots are where whatever structures need to be built to hold up the new roof are going to be mounted.

Hmm. I would really hope that they wouldn't need polls that far down, and they wouldn't take up so much space. Time will tell, I suppose...

wsgdf
11-04-2003, 03:01 PM
batman - you're right - I looked closer.

Did they say they weren't using poles?

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 03:12 PM
No, but nowadays you don't need them. At least not for the size of the roof they're making if the designs from a year ago were accurate.

doublem23
11-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
The Uppedeck is too small and not steep enough!

Ha ha ha ha! Nice. :)

Rocky Soprano
11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
This place only looks better every single year. Now only if can get a team that would only get better every year we would own this city!

npdempse
11-04-2003, 04:55 PM
No, but nowadays you don't need them. At least not for the size of the roof they're making if the designs from a year ago were accurate.

True, but I keep hearing references to roof supports that will be reminiscent of the old Comiskey. Sounds like poles to me; Hope that's wrong.

soxnut
11-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Speaking of posts....I think there may be some type of post structure. I looked at the lf concourse rendering that Hangar posted. I blew up the view on my computer, and it looks like there might be posts no more than 1/4 of the way down. It is difficult to tell because it gets pretty blurry.

But also, if you look at that rendering, look at just above new building at the new roof structure of the ballpark. It does look like there might be some kind of post coming down about a 1/4 of the way. Hey if that's the case, it's only seats they probably wouldn't sell until the place really started to fill up. :smile:

nasox
11-04-2003, 07:54 PM
sweet pics but is it just me or does the park look really different than during the season. Yea i know, ignore all of the renovation changes and demolition of the UD but something about the park looks peaceful and just plain different. Take the fences for example, they look so odd. I don't know, maybe im hallucinating.

Brian26
11-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
I'm pretty sure they take this padding off the fences every winter.

100% correct.

ShoelessFred
11-05-2003, 01:39 AM
i do believe that these areas are where disabled persons in wheel chairs watch the game.

Procol Harum
11-05-2003, 09:10 AM
Oh man! Now to recapture the magic, nostalgic feeling of the seat I had for the 2000 playoffs I'll have to hover about 10 feet above the stadium just to the right of the right field foul pole!!

anewman35
11-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Wow, looks like the Sox put up a whole bunch more, taken yesterday. Are they going to put up more every day? Nice.

BeerHandle
11-05-2003, 11:12 AM
I can't wait to see the park completed. They are moving extremely fast. There has been good weather which I'm sure has helped the demolition.

If there are posts upstairs it really doesn't bother me becaue those seats won't be filled every game (although it would be nice) plus engineering/architecture improvements have been made where I believe the posts would not take away sight lines!

Thunderstruck30
11-05-2003, 08:35 PM
Are they going to remove the all star game sign behind home plate?

batmanZoSo
11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Shoeless Fred,

If you're looking at the new renovation pictures, no. There are whole rows missing...about five of them in ten sections. They simply don't dedicate that many seats to the disabled. I don't know if they even have handicapped seats up there...the only ones I've seen are at the last row of the lower level.

batmanZoSo
11-05-2003, 08:50 PM
npdempse,

I just assume the Sox aren't that dumb. Poles would make the park worse. And it would look terrible with the modern motif of the rest of the park. It just makes no sense. Here's to wise decisions....cheers.