PDA

View Full Version : Serious question: how many of you have a hard time understanding what Ozzie says?

cheeses_h_rice
11-04-2003, 02:08 PM
I watched an interview with Bob Sirott on "Chicago Tonight" last night, and I really just could not make out what Ozzie was talking about 10-20% of the time. Ozzie's grammar is pretty good, but his pronunciation of a lot of words is very slippery. I hope this won't make his postgame comments a chore to sit through.

Jjav829
11-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I watched an interview with Bob Sirott on "Chicago Tonight" last night, and I really just could not make out what Ozzie was talking about 10-20% of the time. Ozzie's grammar is pretty good, but his pronunciation of a lot of words is very slippery. I hope this won't make his postgame comments a chore to sit through.

At first, I had a hard time understanding him, but as he went on I was able to understand him first. Heres a question I do have. When Ozzie was talking about being with Irod at his house, did he say the word "phone", or did he drop an f bomb? I couldn't really tell and the media started to laugh. I listened to it a few times and I still can't tell.

But judging by his press conference yesterday, I think his postgame shows will be funny even if we can't understand some of what he says.

cheeses_h_rice
11-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
At first, I had a hard time understanding him, but as he went on I was able to understand him first. Heres a question I do have. When Ozzie was talking about being with Irod at his house, did he say the word "phone", or did he drop an f bomb. I couldn't really tell and the media started to laugh. I listened to it a few times and I still can't tell.

But judging by his press conference yesterday, I think his postgame shows will be funny even if we can't understand some of what he says.

The phone/**** issue is one that I couldn't make out, too.

But yeah, you're right: Ozzie is a fun and funny guy, which makes it a decent contrast to the scarecrow imitation of Jerry Manuel.

harwar
11-04-2003, 02:16 PM
One thing is for sure,the guy was a blabber-mouth as a player.Hes' probably going to drive his bench coach nuts.

Rocky Soprano
11-04-2003, 02:37 PM
He said phone.

I thought it was hilarious when he was talking being with IRod and his fam and how Minnie Mouse had to tell him to shut off his phone.

moochpuppy
11-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
At first, I had a hard time understanding him, but as he went on I was able to understand him first. Heres a question I do have. When Ozzie was talking about being with Irod at his house, did he say the word "phone", or did he drop an f bomb? I couldn't really tell and the media started to laugh. I listened to it a few times and I still can't tell.

I was having a difficult time as well cheeses. What's this "bunt" thing he's talking about? Is he talking about the cake?

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 03:03 PM
It's sometimes difficult but I get the gist of what he's saying.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Ozzie dropped the "F" bomb :D:

Hokiesox
11-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I was having a difficult time as well cheeses. What's this "bunt" thing he's talking about? Is he talking about the cake?

ROFLMAO!!!

white sox bill
11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Thats one of the first things I thought about--another Corky at the post-game..But he can be understood, you just have to listen very hard

Wanne
11-04-2003, 04:35 PM
This is what Ozzie said:

"When you come to this ballpark, you'll see that every player who wears this uniform is going to play the game right," he said. "If they don't, they won't play for me. I wish the [players] were listening right now.

"I don't want selfish players. Give me players who want to win, not good players who don't care."

This is what I heard:

Whey jew co to dees bawpawk, jew see dat evvy play who wear dees unifo eez go do play da ga righ. If dey doh...dey woh play fo me. I weesh dee play were leesning righ now.

Ba baw bean, betty-betty goo to me. Jay Reinsdo bean betty betty goo to me.

Procol Harum
11-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Funny thread! Actually I get the gist of what he says most of the time, but the boy is hard to understand through that accent. On the upside, at least it's easier than trying to decipher what the heck Bevington was saying....

soxnut
11-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Funny thread! Actually I get the gist of what he says most of the time, but the boy is hard to understand through that accent. On the upside, at least it's easier than trying to decipher what the heck Bevington was saying....

That's funny.

I can understand Ozzie pretty much of the time. And I do get the gist of what he's talking about. Of all the years I've had to deal with different types of people and their accents, you just have to tune your ears to the accent. After a while, I think we'll get it. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
11-04-2003, 06:22 PM
The Sox haven't had an even halfway articulate manager since Schueler pushed out Jeff Torborg in '91. It seems to me this is the single-most important attribute an effective manager must posess. It's not like he can help the team win by throwing a strike or hitting a home run.

Having said that, Guillen is pretty much a wash compared to the last three Sox managers. Manuel was especially bad. Not only did he make assertions that often made no sense (e.g. "...besides, Aaron went to school near here."), Manuel was famous for saying one thing ("Clayton is benched indefinitely") and then doing the exact opposite (Royce back in the lineup 3 days later).

At least Ozzie will be entertaining. After all, show biz is Job 1 with the bearded lady of professional sports, the Chicago White Sox.

:smile:

soxnut
11-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Actually, PHG............however you want to look at it.........that's what sports is.............entertainment :?: :?: :?: :D:

nasox
11-04-2003, 08:45 PM
I like how he talks, like i am in Little Havan or somthing. Its sweet

1951Campbell
11-04-2003, 11:02 PM
He's makes more sense than Jimy Williams, I'll tell ya.

MHOUSE
11-05-2003, 09:29 AM
He has the same accent as my former soccer coach. It's tough to make it out sometimes, but I can pick it up. I heard someone quote Pacino's "say hello to my little friend" regarding something he said. Scarface Guillen anyone?

LuvSox
11-05-2003, 12:17 PM
He did an interview with Sirott? Good lord, I'd rather listen to Ozzie any day! :smile: