PDA

View Full Version : Some Trade possibilites

bennyw41
11-04-2003, 12:54 PM
How bout some hot stove talk here. There is a lot flying around about Nomar and A-rod. What about some deals for the sox to get a SS. I'm thinking three team trade, or perhaps a sign and trade. Any ideas.

Sox get Tejada in trade for nomar
Dodgers sign and trade tejada to sox for nomar
Red sox get maggs for nomar

I don't know, just tossing some stuff up.

poorme
11-04-2003, 12:57 PM
How about something that could happen, like sign Jeff D'Amico to be a #4 starter?

bennyw41
11-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Yea well, that would be nice, but they need to worry about SS. Perhpas they are putting Valentin off because they are exploring options.

chosk8
11-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by poorme
How about something that could happen, like sign Jeff D'Amico to be a #4 starter?

I thought about this one too. I like it.

fledgedrallycap
11-04-2003, 01:01 PM
An idea a friend and I have thrown around is Buerle to St. Louis for Edgar Renteria.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on this deal until the Sox signed additional Starting Pitching, but it does compute:

St. Louis needs to cut some payroll and commit some serious cash to Albert Polous. The Cards need pitching, pitching and more pitching. With Edmonds, Matheney, Drew and Rolen - offense isn't a problem - especially in the NL Central.

The Sox would benefit in recieving one of the best SS in the NL (and probably MLB). Plus, Buerle wants to go home, might as well get something for him.....

Just a thought.

Jjav829
11-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bennyw41
How bout some hot stove talk here. There is a lot flying around about Nomar and A-rod. What about some deals for the sox to get a SS. I'm thinking three team trade, or perhaps a sign and trade. Any ideas.

Welcome Aboard! :smile:

It's an interesting idea but I doubt if the Sox do trade Maggs, which is seemingly becoming a necessity, it would be for a high paid player like Tejada.

Just to throw out an idea, I would say something like Maggs to the Orioles for Jay Gibbons and Jerry Hairston Jr.

voodoochile
11-04-2003, 01:02 PM

Welcome Aboard! :D:

bennyw41
11-04-2003, 01:03 PM
Maggs should pull some more talent that, those are barely second tier players.

Jjav829
11-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
An idea a friend and I have thrown around is Buerle to St. Louis for Edgar Renteria.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on this deal until the Sox signed additional Starting Pitching, but it does compute:

St. Louis needs to cut some payroll and commit some serious cash to Albert Polous. The Cards need pitching, pitching and more pitching. With Edmonds, Matheney, Drew and Rolen - offense isn't a problem - especially in the NL Central.

The Sox would benefit in recieving one of the best SS in the NL (and probably MLB). Plus, Buerle wants to go home, might as well get something for him.....

Just a thought.

The Cards supposedly have 3 untouchable players; Pujols, Renteria, and Rolen. They are willing to trade Emonds, Morris, and anyone else with the exception of those three. So I doubt you would see Renteria traded. Though I would love to see Renteria here.

Jjav829
11-04-2003, 01:06 PM
Maggs should pull some more talent that, those are barely second tier players.

I would like to hope so, but with him being owed 14 million next year, there are very few teams that can really take him. The Orioles would be one but by taking on all 14 mil, they wouldn't be giving up as much. Unfortunately that is how it will likely go. The more salary the team is taking on, the less they give up.

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Why not just keep Nomar if we get him straight up for Mags? He would instantly improve the infield and still provide middle of the order pop. Plus he'd only cost 11. 5 mil vs 14 mil for Mags.

And while we're talking about the BoSox. What about Burkett as a #5? Sure, he's older than dirt, but I'm sure he could teach our youngsters a few things about pitching when you stuff is gone, ala Jamie Moyer....

Brian26
11-04-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Just to throw out an idea, I would say something like Maggs to the Orioles for Jay Gibbons and Jerry Hairston Jr.

UGHH. My god, let's just give him away. I cut both of those bozos from my fantasy team two years ago. Hairston turned out to be an idiot after the bean ball fiasco at the Cell this year, too. C'mon, we can do better than that.

Jjav829
11-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
UGHH. My god, let's just give him away. I cut both of those bozos from my fantasy team two years ago. Hairston turned out to be an idiot after the bean ball fiasco at the Cell this year, too. C'mon, we can do better than that.

I hope so, but I'm not so sure we can.

kraut83
11-04-2003, 01:36 PM

Just to throw out an idea, I would say something like Maggs to the Orioles for Jay Gibbons and Jerry Hairston Jr. [/B]

If they would throw in Jason Johnson as a #5, I would consider that. Hell, I'd even be willing to give them back Willie Harris for added value!

Foulke You
11-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by poorme

Jeff D'Amico has great stuff but the guy is really injury prone. He hasn't put together too many complete seasons. I shudder to think of Danny Wright coming to replace D'Amico in the rotation with only a game separating the Sox and Twins in the middle of July. I would only want him if I was 100% sure he is healthy.

poorme
11-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Well, you're not going to get any sure things with what we can afford. Wilson Alvarez and Pat Hentgen are a couple of other possibilities...Rick Reed....Scott Erickson, is his arm attached these days?

Foulke You
11-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Why not just keep Nomar if we get him straight up for Mags? He would instantly improve the infield and still provide middle of the order pop. Plus he'd only cost 11. 5 mil vs 14 mil for Mags.

I'd love to have Nomar on the South Side. He really has a magnetic personality and could draw some casual fans to the ballpark. I'd hate to give up Maggs for him but I don't see any other players that the Red Sox would take for him unless we packaged Carlos Lee and Damaso Marte which would severly weaken our bullpen.

Plus, I don't see Boston trading Nomar unless they have another tremendous SS coming to replace him. "Nomah" is bigger than Jesus in Beantown so it would have to be a big name like A-Rod or Tejada going to Boston to replace him. The only way Nomar comes here is if he is part of a three team trade involving the White Sox. Of course, this whole post should be in deep pink because the White Sox aren't going to get a big name like Nomar.

bc2k
11-04-2003, 02:13 PM

From FoxSports (http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1811940)

The Cardinals have $80 million to spend and most of it is already gone, unless they can dump some contracts. They would absolutely love to send Tino Martinez to Tampa Bay, although they might have to pay some of the $8.5 million he's due. Second on the dumping list would be center fielder Jim Edmonds (three years, $34 million remaining), who has seven teams he can be traded to.

Billy Koch for Jim Edmonds? Konerko for Edmonds? St. Louis seems desperate to dump his contract. Though we're not the type of team that aquires men by taking on high salary.

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 02:20 PM

This trade wouldn't make any sense for the Sox. If I understand correctly, the idea is that the Dodgers sign Tejada, then he goes to Chicago, Nomar goes to LA and Maggs goes to Boston. But if the Sox wanted Tejada, why not just sign him instead of engaging in this trade? If acquiring Tejada means you have to give up Maggs, you would simply sign Tejada and instead of trading Maggs for Tejada, you trade Maggs for someone else (say to the Padres for a couple of their young, talented, cheap pitchers). Then, at the end of the day, you'd have Tejada and some young, talented, cheap pitchers instead of just Tejada.

fledgedrallycap
11-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
From FoxSports (http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1811940)

The Cardinals have $80 million to spend and most of it is already gone, unless they can dump some contracts. They would absolutely love to send Tino Martinez to Tampa Bay, although they might have to pay some of the $8.5 million he's due. Second on the dumping list would be center fielder Jim Edmonds (three years, $34 million remaining), who has seven teams he can be traded to.

Billy Koch for Jim Edmonds? Konerko for Edmonds? St. Louis seems desperate to dump his contract. Though we're not the type of team that aquires men by taking on high salary.

The problem is, Edmonds can still perform and they wouldn't want to take on our trash for what is still considered a treasure. However, they would pull the trigger for a Garland - Lower salaried pitcher who still hasn't reached his cieling. I wouldn't do it, not for the money and return value, but I'm sure they would want some cheap/young/good pitching.

Risk
11-04-2003, 02:29 PM
What's Tim Wakefield's status????

I know he's a knuckler, but he could either be a 4th or 5th starter or a solid middle reliever.

Could maybe trade Koch for him, since the BoSox are always in need of a closer.

Risk

fledgedrallycap
11-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Here is another scenario I've been thinking of - instead of throwing all that money at Colon, why don't you take a good chunk of that and offer Ponson a reasonable deal (I am unsure what he will demand, but figure in the 7-9 range) and then give offer a 3-4 deal to a Wakefield/Maddox-type player (Veteran who can get you 12-14 wins on knowledge alone).

I like the fact that you would have 5 pitchers who can all win on any given day due to the mess we had last year with our fifth starter.

kittle42
11-04-2003, 02:41 PM
I hate all "how about this trade..." things that people just make up off the top of their heads. Some people may find them fun to discuss, and I suppose sometimes they are, but to me it just seems like sports talk babble from mostly inane callers.

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Here is another scenario I've been thinking of - instead of throwing all that money at Colon, why don't you take a good chunk of that and offer Ponson a reasonable deal (I am unsure what he will demand, but figure in the 7-9 range) and then give offer a 3-4 deal to a Wakefield/Maddox-type player (Veteran who can get you 12-14 wins on knowledge alone).

I like the fact that you would have 5 pitchers who can all win on any given day due to the mess we had last year with our fifth starter.

I heard Ponson turned down a 3 yr/21 million dollar offer from Baltimore. Someone should clue Ponson into the fact that he's not worth 7 million a season.

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 02:53 PM

I've been advocating the same thing - if the Sox don't sign Colon, they need to sign 2 FA pitchers. I've said Ponson and either Hentgen or Anderson. Wakefield isn't a FA and Maddux is going to command more than $3 or $ 4 million. But I agree in principal. If the Sox don't have the big gun at the top of the rotation, Plan B should be starting pitching depth.

fledgedrallycap
11-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I hate all "how about this trade..." things that people just make up off the top of their heads. Some people may find them fun to discuss, and I suppose sometimes they are, but to me it just seems like sports talk babble from mostly inane callers.

Frankly, I don't think there is one individual in this forum who wouldn't kill for Kenny Williams' job. It is fun to speculate and draw up scenario's on paper - besides, what else are you suppose to talk about for four months until Spring Training? If you don't like, find a thread you enjoy.

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 03:07 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/11/03/LJw5KIwW.jpg

"Betty, get me the Cincinnatti Reds would you.."

::rinnnng::

"doo-doo-doo-doo-doo."

::rinnnng::

"Yello?"

"Hi, it's K-Dog. Listen, is that Maggs for Griffey thing still on the table?"

"Hello? Hello? I think he hung up."

crector
11-04-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by kittle42

I agree, although for a different reason. Now that the Sox have a manager who makes Bevington looks good, its pointless to talk about trades since its clear that JR/KW won't put up the needed resources for a championship effort and whatever new talent that they come up with will only be wasted under Ozzie's reign.

The question now facing the team is not how high can they go, but rather if they can finish at no lower than 3rd or 4th place in a 5 team division.

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by crector
I agree, although for a different reason. Now that the Sox have a manager who makes Bevington looks good, its pointless to talk about trades since its clear that JR/KW won't put up the needed resources for a championship effort and whatever new talent that they come up with will only be wasted under Ozzie's reign.

The question now facing the team is not how high can they go, but rather if they can finish at no lower than 3rd or 4th place in a 5 team division.

It's good to know that you have the ability to determine, with certainty, how Ozzie will fair as manager. If you don't like the managerial choice, that's fine - but come on; now they're worse than the Indians simply because of the managerial choice? How is it that Ozzie is going to turn Buehrle into Shawn Estes, Frank into Tony Clark and Maggs into Jeffrey Hammonds?

jabrch
11-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by crector
Now that the Sox have a manager who makes Bevington looks good.

That is one of the craziest things I have seen since joining WSI. How can Ozzie make Bevinton look good? Bevington made MANUEL look tolerable. Ozzie clearly will be the tallest midget in that midget colony. Why are we not giving him a chance? This isn't like we hired a known failure....we are taking a shot at something different.

I am tired of the Ozzie bashing. Give him a chance for petes sake.

steff
11-04-2003, 04:57 PM
Jerry Hairston Jr.

Ick.. Jerry. He's not half of half the man his father is.

Fisk72
11-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I am tired of the Ozzie bashing. Give him a chance for petes sake.

I second that. If everyone thinks we're gonna be horrible with Ozzie at the helm, why bother playing the season? Geez, at least we'll finally see some emotion for a change! I thought this board was full of fanatic fans who love supporting the team, but I'm beginning to realize there are a few people who just like to complain no matter what. Sheesh!

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I second that. If everyone thinks we're gonna be horrible with Ozzie at the helm, why bother playing the season? Geez, at least we'll finally see some emotion for a change! I thought this board was full of fanatic fans who love supporting the team, but I'm beginning to realize there are a few people who just like to complain no matter what. Sheesh!

I too think that those who have decided that there is no doubt whatsoever that Ozzie will be a horrible manager are being much too quick to judge. But with that said, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be surrounded by "fantastic fans who love supporting the team." If I did, I'd become a Cubs fan. I want the Sox to win, period. If the organization does stupid things (a frequent occurrence), I'll let 'em have it, as should every Sox fan. And as to the "people who complain no matter what" - I think you're greatly over stating the case. It's true that almost every move will have it's detractors, but that's because the merits of almost every team a baseball team ever makes is debatable - which means you're going to find people who bash every move the Sox make.

voodoochile
11-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I too think that those who have decided that there is no doubt whatsoever that Ozzie will be a horrible manager are being much too quick to judge. But with that said, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be surrounded by "fantastic fans who love supporting the team." If I did, I'd become a Cubs fan. I want the Sox to win, period. If the organization does stupid things (a frequent occurrence), I'll let 'em have it, as should every Sox fan. And as to the "people who complain no matter what" - I think you're greatly over stating the case. It's true that almost every move will have it's detractors, but that's because the merits of almost every team a baseball team ever makes is debatable - which means you're going to find people who bash every move the Sox make.

The overwhelming majority of the posters on this board are in favor of the hire.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26187

FarWestChicago
11-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The overwhelming majority of the posters on this board are in favor of the hire.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26187 It's always those with a negative opinion who like to talk. Nothing like a loss to stir up business. :smile:

gosox41
11-04-2003, 06:26 PM

Can you pass the crack pipe down this way?

Bob

gosox41
11-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72

I don't know if it's complaining no matter what or just the fact that the sox continuously make poor moves.

Do yuo hear that creaking sound? It's the window of opportunity to wincoming to a close.

Bob

soxfan26
11-04-2003, 07:41 PM

Creative, I have to say that. If only the Red Sox had been able to dump Manny this past week, we could really be talking business. I have to agree that if we got Nomar we should keep him and not worry about Tejada.

Just a thought.

I like this one too. Too bad they say Renteria is untouchable.