PDA

View Full Version : Schillling?

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Do you think we could get Schilling for Konerko + prospect? They get $4 mil in salary relief and a some pop from 1st base. We get a heck of a SP to replace Colon and rid ourselves of Konerko's contract for '05. I'm a big fan of Konerko, but we need a stud SP more than we need his stick at 1st/DH.

If we were willing to give Colon $36 mil over 3 years, then why not 12 mil to Shilling?

FanOf14
11-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Shilling already vowed to never pitch for the Sox.

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Really? Does he hate JR?

Brian26
11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Another ramification of the '94 debacle. Funny how the strike can still make ripples, even today.

crector
11-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Another ramification of the '94 debacle. Funny how the strike can still make ripples, even today.

I seem to remember that in the late 90's, Schilling wanted to pitch for the Sox, but Schueler decreed that he was all washed up, just like he did with Roger Clemens.

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Do you think we could get Schilling for Konerko + prospect? They get $4 mil in salary relief and a some pop from 1st base. We get a heck of a SP to replace Colon and rid ourselves of Konerko's contract for '05. I'm a big fan of Konerko, but we need a stud SP more than we need his stick at 1st/DH.

No way would the D'backs do it. Konerko was so absolutely putridly awful last year that no team looking for some offensive pop would look to him to provide it. Of the 30 first basemen in MLB that had at least 300 ABs last year, Konerko was 30th in OPS, tied for 14th in HRs, tied for 21st in RBIs, 30th in BA, 30th in OBP, 28th in SLG, 24th in total bases, and grounded into the most double plays. I would think the D'Backs, if they decided to move Schilling, could do a lot better than GIDPaul.

If we were willing to give Colon $36 mil over 3 years, then why not 12 mil to Shilling?

I'm sure the Sox would love to have Schilling, but would probably have to send a package of (for example) Honel or Reed plus Lee, or maybe Buehrle, to get it done (of course, even that is assuming that the Sox could get him to waive his no trade clause, which is a huge "if"). And that price is too steep, IMHO. It isn't going to happen.

MisterB
11-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Really? Does he hate JR?

With a passion. Schill's very involved in the MLBPA and has seen up close JR's shenanigans on the labor side of things.

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
So, basically, Konerko is the worst first basman in the game.

We might as well trade him and pick up half his salary. We'll save 4 million and be getting better just by dumping him. Think about it, if we keep him he's gonna play a lot and I don't believe he's gonna be much better next year.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Sorry if some of you have heard this already.

In July 2000 when rumors were starting that Schilling could be traded, the Arizona Republic interviewed him at lenght.

In that interview Schilling said he would not approve a trade to the Sox and never would.

Why asked why, Schilling refused to be specific. All he said was that during the 94 labor impasse Reinsdorf made a comment to Schilling during a labor meeting that Curt considered a direct personal attack upon himself. To this day he has refused to say exactly what Uncle Jerry said to him and to this day he has maintained his stance that the White Sox are on his list of clubs that he would not approve a deal with.

Another example of Uncle Jerry's ego and desire to break the union, hurting the club don't you think?

Lip

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
So, basically, Konerko is the worst first basman in the game.

We might as well trade him and pick up half his salary. We'll save 4 million and be getting better just by dumping him.

Why would another team be willing to take on Konerko and pay him even $4 million next year? There are plenty of guys available who were WAY better than Konerko last year and will be on the FA market for much, much, much less than the $16 mm PK is owed over the next two years. The only way a Konerko trade will happen is if the Sox take on someone else's bad contract (e.g., Jeff Weaver, Jeff Cirillo, Denny Neagle, Bobby Higginson, etc.) in return.

thepaulbowski
11-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Another example of Uncle Jerry's ego and desire to break the union, hurting the club don't you think?

Lip

To answer your question, not in this case. I don't think the Sox would not want to pay Schilling and/or give up the players to get him. He's a pipedream at best. I don't think he's worth the money he'd command anyways.

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why would another team be willing to take on Konerko and pay him even $4 million next year? There are plenty of guys available who were WAY better than Konerko last year and will be on the FA market for much, much, much less than the $16 mm PK is owed over the next two years. The only way a Konerko trade will happen is if the Sox take on someone else's bad contract (e.g., Jeff Weaver, Jeff Cirillo, Denny Neagle, Bobby Higginson, etc.) in return.

Oh, Please! You don't think that there are more than a few GM's out there thinking "wow, he had a great 2nd half and looks like he figured out whatever was wrong. He'll probably continue that into next year" And then they'll look at his previous 4 years of .295 hitting and 20 hr's per year and think he's worth a shot. Maybe not at 8 mil, but there are more than few that would jump at Konerko for $4 mil per year.

doublem23
11-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

I know, I too would love to have a 40-year old pitcher sidelined a chunk of the season with injuries who'll cost a couple millions dollars. Woe is me.

SoxOnTop
11-04-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I don't think he's worth the money he'd command anyways.

Are you kidding???
3.33 career era
6:1 K to BB ratio
Several 300K years

While I don't advocate NL pitchers, Schilling is one of the few that could make the jump to the AL ala pedro. If Colon is worth 12 mil a year, then Shill is worth more IMO.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Double:

The point is (which you missed again--big surprise) that Schilling would have been nice in the 2000 ALDS wouldn't he?

Lip

LASOXFAN
11-05-2003, 01:20 AM
We're stuck with Paulie. The best we can do is hope he works hard this off season determined to change his fortunes and those of his team.

Just think what could have been had he hit just .260 earlier in the year...not to mention over .300.

The race would've been over in August.

MisterB
11-05-2003, 01:26 AM
Oh, Please! You don't think that there are more than a few GM's out there thinking "wow, he had a great 2nd half and looks like he figured out whatever was wrong. He'll probably continue that into next year" And then they'll look at his previous 4 years of .295 hitting and 20 hr's per year and think he's worth a shot. Maybe not at 8 mil, but there are more than few that would jump at Konerko for $4 mil per year.

I think most GM's are thinking "wow, he's only had 3 good months out of the last season and a half, and went in the tank for no apparent reason." I think there's some GM out there who's dumb/desperate/foolish enough to deal for Konerko, but not nearly as many as you're thinking.