PDA

View Full Version : Where does Bossard fit in?

ListGod
11-04-2003, 09:53 AM
I remember some high-profile feuding between Roger Bossard and Ozzie when Guillen was playing. Something about the infield dirt being too rocky and the grass too wet.

I love Ozzie Guillen, but I sure as heck hope that this is not going to cause friction. I would hate to lose the best groundskeeper in MLB.

LG

PaleHoseGeorge
11-04-2003, 10:05 AM
Bossard is nothing if not a survivor, LG. If Ozzie doesn't like the shape of the Cell's playing surface, you can bet our MVP groundskeeper will have it manicured to the skipper's precise specifications in no time at all.

The man is a genius. :smile:

:hawk
"D.J., the dad-gum MVP of this organization is Roger Bossard."

:DJ
"But you already told everyone Kenny Williams was the team MVP?"

:hawk
"Yessir... best groundskeeper in baseball."

:reinsy
"Well said, Hawk. I couldn't have stated it better myself."

:)

ListGod
11-04-2003, 10:11 AM
You know what worries, me George. It's Ozzie's "Live and Let Die" approach.

I know Bossard's had to work with some tough field managers, but none of them ever came as close to blows with him as Ozzie has. I wouldn't want that little firecracker getting in my face. Roger doesn't have to stay here, you know. A certain team north of Roosevelt Road offered to sweeten his compensation package last season and J-Dorf was forced to match it.

Can you imagine the near-complete coup that would be? First Sosa, then they steal Dusty out from under us, and then Bossard? Would they stop there, or go for Nossek as sort of a hat-trick-plus-one?

LG

PaleHoseGeorge
11-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by ListGod
....Can you imagine the near-complete coup that would be? First Sosa, then they steal Dusty out from under us, and then Bossard? Would they stop there, or go for Nossek as sort of a hat-trick-plus-one?

LG

Don't worry about losing Nossek. The chairman needs his spies in the clubhouse. He'll match all offers.

I would be more worried about losing Nancy Faust. Gallas has been trying to push her out for years so mediocrities like Joe Stephen can play more Whitesnake music. Color her gone the first time vigilant Sox Fans turn their back.

:gallas
"Between-innings entertainment is my personal fiefdom. Stephen's grab-for-cash booth in center field will make a reappearance just as soon as I consolidate my position of authority!"

ListGod
11-04-2003, 10:24 AM
I think the only person who hates Gallas more than me is Ozzie Guillen.

If it weren't for the Chairman's Loyalty Thing, I'm sure Gallas would be eking out a meager living in the 10-minute Oil Change Business.

If Gallas so much as looks at Nancy sideways, he'll have 160 pounds of Venezualan bulldog wrapped around his neck.

LG

Brian26
11-04-2003, 11:03 AM
A certain team north of Roosevelt Road offered to sweeten his compensation package last season and J-Dorf was forced to match it.

Can anyone confirm this? And I'm assuming you're talking about the Cubs and not the Bears? They actually tried to lure Bossard away?

washington
11-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I would be more worried about losing Nancy Faust. Gallas has been trying to push her out for years so mediocrities like Joe Stephen can play more Whitesnake music. Color her gone the first time vigilant Sox Fans turn their back.

Seriously ?! Nice to see that he doesn't let triflings like, say, her extreme popularity with fans get in the way of his PR efforts.

ListGod
11-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Can anyone confirm this? And I'm assuming you're talking about the Cubs and not the Bears? They actually tried to lure Bossard away?

I can't remember who it was--maybe Hal Vickery--who reported this last winter. J-Dorf had to come up with something like 300K to keep him, IIRC.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
I can't remember who it was--maybe Hal Vickery--who reported this last winter. J-Dorf had to come up with something like 300K to keep him, IIRC.

Sarcasm needs to be written in teal ListGod.

ListGod
11-04-2003, 11:21 AM
If these rules are your attempt at confusing me, it is working PHG. :?:

Seriously...what is Bossard's salary? I recall it being more than many of the coaching staff. You could argue, however, that he's done more this franchise over the years than, say, a Don Cooper.

BC/LG

Hangar18
11-04-2003, 11:22 AM

What? Did someone Say the Cubs were SIFTING THRU THE MLB/WHITE SOX TRASH AGAIN? They never quit do they?

Ive always said, the Cubs would STEAL NANCY IN A HEARTBEAT,
and then the Media would Anoint Her as "Best organist in baseball" something the Freaking Media shouldve been saying all along. Kind of like in 1981, the MEDIA decided wrigley
was a shrine ,,,,

joecrede
11-04-2003, 11:22 AM

Bossard was damn close to moving up north last off-season. From what I heard, the Chairman actually flew up here from his Arizona home to meet with him (and up his pay to make him the highest paid groundskeeper in history -- as far as anyone knew. Guess there really aren't records on that. :D: )

joecrede
11-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by washington
Seriously ?! Nice to see that he doesn't let triflings like, say, her extreme popularity with fans get in the way of his PR efforts.

I think Nancy's played out. I prefer canned music ...

PaleHoseGeorge
11-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Bossard was damn close to moving up north last off-season. From what I heard, the Chairman actually flew up here from his Arizona home to meet with him (and up his pay to make him the highest paid groundskeeper in history -- as far as anyone knew. Guess there really aren't records on that. :D: )

This would come under the heading of hearsay. Amusing hearsay, but hearsay just the same.

I'm sure the chairman and his MVP groundskeeper will both take the secret of their private exchanges to their grave.

poorme
11-04-2003, 11:36 AM
I'm wondering how many games Bossard has won us over the years.

joecrede
11-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
This would come under the heading of hearsay. Amusing hearsay, but hearsay just the same.

I'm sure the chairman and his MVP groundskeeper will both take the secret of their private exchanges to their grave.

Pure speculation on my part, based on piecing together some of the things you hear when on 35th. With the secrecy this bunch cloaks itself in many times rumor and innuendo is all you get. I apologize.

mandmandm
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Any articles out there on Bossard? Ed and John were talking a couple years ago how Bossard was flown to the middle east to build a soccer field for some sheik. I think he has consulted on the fields of some of the newer ball parks.

joecrede
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I'm wondering how many games Bossard has won us over the years.

i'd say three to four.

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
i'd say three to four.

Zero. When is the last time Bossard put on a White Sox uniform?

ListGod
11-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Baloney!

Someone did an analysis a few years ago and determined that Bossard's groundskeeping strategies actually contributed to 3-9 wins per year. It was written up in Crain's Chicago Business after it appeared in some groundskeeping trade publication.

I'll see if I can find it.

LG

Brian26
11-04-2003, 12:54 PM
Baloney!

Someone did an analysis a few years ago and determined that Bossard's groundskeeping strategies actually contributed to 3-9 wins per year. It was written up in Crain's Chicago Business after it appeared in some groundskeeping trade publication.

I'll see if I can find it.

LG

Good grief. Both teams have to play on the same field. The biggest advantage the Sox could have, hypothetically, is if he watered down the basepaths. This would help us if some team full of speedsters came to town while we had nobody that could run. Even then, it ends up hurting both teams just as much, as we need to send our runners around the bases just like they do. Manipulating the elevations along the lines? Helps or hurts both teams the same. Watering down the dirt in front of home plate? Based on the lack of bunting in the AL and the parity in the league, I don't think it's going to help or hurt anyone. I think his role in actual game outcomes is much smaller, if completely insignificant. However, he does a good job of making the field look great, so he deserves props.

guillen4life13
11-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Good grief. Both teams have to play on the same field. The biggest advantage the Sox could have, hypothetically, is if he watered down the basepaths. This would help us if some team full of speedsters came to town while we had nobody that could run. Even then, it ends up hurting both teams just as much, as we need to send our runners around the bases just like they do. Manipulating the elevations along the lines? Helps or hurts both teams the same. Watering down the dirt in front of home plate? Based on the lack of bunting in the AL and the parity in the league, I don't think it's going to help or hurt anyone. I think his role in actual game outcomes is much smaller, if completely insignificant. However, he does a good job of making the field look great, so he deserves props.

These benefit/hurt both teams, but the Sox have one very distinct advantage: They know when, and where alterations will be made, and can exploit them whenever they want. The opponents have to figure out what's going on themselves (and that will be harder than it would sound), and would not have planned to exploit such alterations. Hence, it gives the Sox an advantage.

ListGod
11-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
These benefit/hurt both teams, but the Sox have one very distinct advantage: They know when, and where alterations will be made, and can exploit them whenever they want. The opponents have to figure out what's going on themselves (and that will be harder than it would sound), and would not have planned to exploit such alterations. Hence, it gives the Sox an advantage.

I hear dat G4L!

I guess you gotta be a Oak Parka to unnastan!!

LG/BC/OP

TornLabrum
11-04-2003, 11:01 PM

I think it was Brian Crawford who started that specious rumor.

guillen4life13
11-04-2003, 11:04 PM
I hear dat G4L!

I guess you gotta be a Oak Parka to unnastan!!

LG/BC/OP

Hey, i think I've seen you before. You go to OPRF?

Brian26
11-04-2003, 11:09 PM

Decent point. All I can say is, both teams take batting practice before the game. Granted, a tarp is usually over the front of the homeplate area, but I think the players can figure out how wet the infield dirt seems to be.

guillen4life13
11-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Decent point. All I can say is, both teams take batting practice before the game. Granted, a tarp is usually over the front of the homeplate area, but I think the players can figure out how wet the infield dirt seems to be.

That's just talking about wetness of dirt. I should've clarified in my original post.

It's hard to tell when grass is short compared to when it isn't when the normal grass height is pretty short already. It's also hard to tell when the grass, and dirt under it, is wet. The wetness of infield dirt is very evident, but it would be unexpected for the opposition. The Sox would be expecting it.

Just thought I should clarify. :smile:

Brian26
11-05-2003, 10:04 AM
That's just talking about wetness of dirt. I should've clarified in my original post.

It's hard to tell when grass is short compared to when it isn't when the normal grass height is pretty short already. It's also hard to tell when the grass, and dirt under it, is wet. The wetness of infield dirt is very evident, but it would be unexpected for the opposition. The Sox would be expecting it.

Just thought I should clarify. :smile:

All good points. :)

ListGod
11-05-2003, 10:16 AM
The genius of Bossard is that he does it after batting practice!

Next time you are at the game, watch the grounds crew. They take the maximum amount of time after batting practice to doctor the field. Also keep an eye on the opposing team during this time. They watch him like a hawk.

LG

Who is Brian Crawford?