PDA

View Full Version : What Will Become of Bartolo?


hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 09:36 AM
I have read in several places that Colon does not want to pitch in New York, ruling out the Yankees and Mets. It is said that the Red Sox can "only" add $10 million in the offseason - which is less than the White Sox offered Colon for next year. The Dodgers are in transition and it is unknown whether they can add payroll - but they're awfully deep in the pitching department already; I would guess that if they're spending money, it's on offense. So who does that leave as suitors for Colon? Maybe Baltimore? They have money. Maybe the Padres? They're said to be looking to spend a little money to bolster their club for their new park. Am I missing anyone?

It seems to me that it is possible that Colon will enter the FA market and see that it is not what he thought it would be. If the White Sox haven't acted too quickly on other FAs (e.g., Ponson), I wouldn't be shocked if he knocked on KW's door again.

ondafarm
11-04-2003, 09:46 AM
I was also under the impression that Colon has a strong preference for staying with teams and in markets with strong hispanic presecences. Bartolo is a monolingual Spanish speaker. That rules out fewer teams than it used to but is generally good news for the Sox. I thought the Braves might be interested (depends on Maddox) the Dodgers and Padres are possibles, obviously the Marlins would be a top choice (if they have the money.)

crector
11-04-2003, 10:04 AM
It would appear that Colon's agent isn't exactly on the ball. If he winds up "knocking on KW's door again," KW's likely to tell him that he can be a Sox again for no more than half of what was originally offered.

If so, it would serve him right.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2003, 02:05 PM
Atlanta, Philadelphia or Arizona. Yes the D'backs are cutting paroll down to "only" 80 million...if they unload Schilling they'll have the cash.

God what it must be like to have a payroll of "only" 80 million.

Lip

duke of dorwood
11-04-2003, 02:11 PM
He's joining the WWE as Cheesborger

Rocky Soprano
11-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
He's joining the WWE as Cheesborger

ROFLMAO!

Man I needed this laugh, thanks!

TheRockinMT
11-04-2003, 02:41 PM
KW might be playing it cool right now, but I think Bartolo Colon still could be playing for the Sox in 2004 and beyond. The market for FA's is going to be pretty soft and $13M a year the Sox offered looks like top dollar and maybe above. I think we should trade Billy Botch Koch and sign Keith Foulke again. I think with Foulke in 2003 we would have seen a Sox post season.

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I think we should trade Billy Botch Koch and sign Keith Foulke again. I think with Foulke in 2003 we would have seen a Sox post season.

I agree 100%. However, as long as KW is the White Sox GM, you won't see Keith Foulke in a White Sox uniform because Foulke was critical of KW.

doublem23
11-04-2003, 03:39 PM
To be fair, Bartolo never said he didn't want to come back to the Sox, he just wanted to test the waters... I sincerely hope that if he comes knocking back on U.S. Cellular's front door, KW (or JR) don't let their ego get in the way.

Hokiesox
11-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
To be fair, Bartolo never said he didn't want to come back to the Sox, he just wanted to test the waters... I sincerely hope that if he comes knocking back on U.S. Cellular's front door, KW (or JR) don't let their ego get in the way.

That being said, I hope that if he comes back, KW offers him no more than 10 mil a year.

doublem23
11-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
That being said, I hope that if he comes back, KW offers him no more than 10 mil a year.

Exactly... Does anyone else think JR makes players who want to return to the Sox crawl through a hole in the wall, a la Mr. Burns, just so he can say, "come crawling back, eh?"

Come on back Bart!

kraut83
11-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
That being said, I hope that if he comes back, KW offers him no more than 10 mil a year.

And no more than 2 or 3 years.

white sox bill
11-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Bartolo is a monolingual Spanish speaker

Boy, I bet he LOVED his time in Montreal!!

Win1ForMe
11-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Atlanta, Philadelphia or Arizona. Yes the D'backs are cutting paroll down to "only" 80 million...if they unload Schilling they'll have the cash.

God what it must be like to have a payroll of "only" 80 million.

Lip

Lip, I already posted that Arizona will not be in on Colon. They're going down to $55 million in 2005, why would they sign off on a long term deal for Colon? Colangelo said this in the Arizona papers after the season ended. It would be absolutely retarded to get rid of a better pitcher (Schilling) who makes less money ($6 mil with 6 deferred) with one year left on his deal just to sign Colon! Especially if they're reducing payroll... I could see them going after a bat for next year but not Bart.

Philly already blew their wad with Wagner (they had about $15M to spend of which $8 mil is going to Wagner), they're going after middle of the road guys (Escobar?) and Atlanta is more likely to go for Millwood.

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Lip, I already posted that Arizona will not be in on Colon. They're going down to $55 million in 2005, why would they sign off on a long term deal for Colon? Colangelo said this in the Arizona papers after the season ended. It would be absolutely retarded to get rid of a better pitcher (Schilling) who makes less money ($6 mil with 6 deferred) with one year left on his deal just to sign Colon! Especially if they're reducing payroll... I could see them going after a bat for next year but not Bart.

Philly already blew their wad with Wagner (they had about $15M to spend of which $8 mil is going to Wagner), they're going after middle of the road guys (Escobar?) and Atlanta is more likely to go for Millwood.

Interesting. Seems to me that the most logical place is still New York or Baltimore. I think its likely that Colon, despite reports that he doesn't want to pitch in New York, ends up taking the Yankees cash because there won't be as much interest elsewhere as he thinks. If he really is determined not to end up in New York, Baltimore makes some sense, but I don't see them offering more than the Sox already offered.

Win1ForMe
11-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Interesting. Seems to me that the most logical place is still New York or Baltimore. I think its likely that Colon, despite reports that he doesn't want to pitch in New York, ends up taking the Yankees cash because there won't be as much interest elsewhere as he thinks. If he really is determined not to end up in New York, Baltimore makes some sense, but I don't see them offering more than the Sox already offered.

Well, there's a rumor the Angels are going after Colon. I know about their interest in Tejada so it's likely they will choose between the two of them (and FWIW, they're supposedly more interested in Colon).

Daver
11-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I was also under the impression that Colon has a strong preference for staying with teams and in markets with strong hispanic presecences. Bartolo is a monolingual Spanish speaker.

That is a farce,Bartolo speaks english,he chooses not to in order to avoid the press.

hold2dibber
11-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Well, there's a rumor the Angels are going after Colon. I know about their interest in Tejada so it's likely they will choose between the two of them (and FWIW, they're supposedly more interested in Colon).

I forgot about the Angels. That seems like a realistic possibility.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2003, 11:58 PM
A story in The Sporting News two weeks ago said the D'backs were trimming payroll down to around 80 million.

Not even close to 55 million.

Lip

Win1ForMe
11-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
A story in The Sporting News two weeks ago said the D'backs were trimming payroll down to around 80 million.

Not even close to 55 million.

Lip

Lip,

I read two different Arizona papers right after the season ended. Both had the same story for the D-backs: Payroll is going down $15M next year, and down $40M for 2005 (which would put it at $55 mil). Colangelo basically confirmed this himself in the interview conducted by the paper. Which source do you think is correct? I would assume two local beat writers who actually follow the team day-in and day-out AND THE TEAM OWNER would have more insight.

Geeterman1
11-05-2003, 01:26 AM
You guys are both right. next year the payroll will be down to 80 and the year after down to 55, so I don't see why they would sign Colon for a high price if they plan on dumping even more money next year.

LASOXFAN
11-05-2003, 02:13 AM
I think he's going to the D-Rays. Just a hunch. They need a big move to capitalize on the momentum they generated in the second half. They're an up and coming team with a great manager (the next Yankee manager, Lip, not Willie) and a need for a marquee pitcher. Colon's the guy, and he'd be in Florida.

longshot7
11-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I think he's going to the D-Rays. Just a hunch. They need a big move to capitalize on the momentum they generated in the second half. They're an up and coming team with a great manager (the next Yankee manager, Lip, not Willie) and a need for a marquee pitcher. Colon's the guy, and he'd be in Florida.

Yeah, I buy this.

Don't underestimate the Angels. New owner Arte Moreno has vowed to spend money & they need pitching bad.

nasox
11-05-2003, 02:47 PM
i dont care what steinboner says. He'll dish out the green when pettite goes. And as for Colon, he will be very rich

JJAustin69
11-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Colon in pinstripes. Book it.

Frank the Tank
11-06-2003, 01:01 AM
I agree with Colon in pinstripes. The yankees are the only team that will pay more than the KW offered 13MM. I don't care what any report says about Colon not wanting to go to New York, he wants money. Afterall, there is so much more you can buy with a 16MM salary that you couldn't buy with 13MM? Screw Colon. I would rather sign six 2MM pitchers. At least 1 or 2 of them would work out, right?

LASOXFAN
11-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
Yeah, I buy this.

Don't underestimate the Angels. New owner Arte Moreno has vowed to spend money & they need pitching bad.

they'll blow their wad on miggy.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Sox go after Eckstein once they do sign him.

StockdaleForVeep
11-06-2003, 02:33 AM
If we throw in an Escalade, control of the clubhouse music and fre food, think this could keep El Barto with us?

crector
11-06-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
If we throw in an Escalade, control of the clubhouse music and fre food, think this could keep El Barto with us?


As a player, didn't Ozzie have a problem with teammates, such as Frank, eating in the clubhouse? What makes you think that he'd be any different as manager?