PDA

View Full Version : Grobstein & Guillen, This photo needs a caption.

DrCrawdad
11-03-2003, 05:53 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/Les_Ozzie.jpg

soxrme
11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Sox Skip, cub dip

batmanZoSo
11-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Are you sure that's Les? Looks like John Malkovich hugging the guy from New York Undercover.

duke of dorwood
11-03-2003, 07:38 PM
"I knew it was you, Fredo, you broke my heart"

34 Inch Stick
11-04-2003, 09:12 AM
The ears not bad now how bout the ass.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

:D: :D:

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
Sox Skip, cub dip

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT!! BTW That's NL CENTRAL CHAMPION CUB DIP to you!!!

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Are you sure that's Les? Looks like John Malkovich hugging the guy from New York Undercover.

Sure wish I had Malkovich's money---and so do you!

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33

Les,

When I saw you embrace Ozzie, I wondered what you might have said to Ozzie. Was it, "Ozzie, Sox suck!"

I didn't see what Mark Giangrecoroman had to say about Ozzie being hired by the Sox. No doubt there was some put-down of the Sox by Giangrecoroman, the man who admitted losing journalist credibility during the Cubbies Championship Choke.

Les, Cubbies are the NL Central Champs (oh wow) but the Sox are the Chicago City Champions.

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Les,

When I saw you embrace Ozzie, I wondered what you might have said to Ozzie. Was it, "Ozzie, Sox suck!"

I didn't see what Mark Giangrecoroman had to say about Ozzie being hired by the Sox. No doubt there was some put-down of the Sox by Giangrecoroman, the man who admitted losing journalist credibility during the Cubbies Championship Choke.

Les, Cubbies are the NL Central Champs (oh wow) but the Sox are the Chicago City Champions.

It does'nt bother me for one second that the Sox are 'City Champs',but Doc,it's killing some folks that the Cubs Won their Division. What I told Ozzie was basically "told you a few weeks ago you'd get this job,now go kick some butt!". He's a good Friend,and I am thrilled for him. Let's see what kind of a team they put around him now.

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 11:48 AM
One other thing Doc, what was more important in 2000? The Sox winning the AL Central,or the Cubs(with one of the worst records in all of baseball)being CO-CITY Champs? Thought so!!

Brian26
11-04-2003, 11:56 AM

Actually he wasn't on tv last night. Rumor has it that he got locked inside a tanning booth somewhere in Schaumburg.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 11:57 AM
It does'nt bother me for one second that the Sox are 'City Champs',but Doc,it's killing some folks that the Cubs Won their Division. What I told Ozzie was basically "told you a few weeks ago you'd get this job,now go kick some butt!". He's a good Friend,and I am thrilled for him. Let's see what kind of a team they put around him now.

It's not killing me that the Cubbies won the NL Central, arguably the worst division in MLB. On the other hand, many Cubbie fans act as though they had the best team in MLB when the Cubbies had the worst record of all the teams in the post-season. And the Cubbies choke job, one of the biggest chokes in ML history, has many Cubbie fans considering killing themselves or killing their fall-guy Steve Bartman.

It was cool hearing Les called on for the first question at the Guillen press-conference. Did they call on you first because you're the senior member of the press in the room?
:D: :D:

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 11:59 AM
The only reason we tied that year is because we threw away the third game of the Comiskey series in anticipation of the upcoming gauntlet of Indians and Yankees and you know it!

And don't bring up the October 2000 records, either, where the Cubs were 1-0? and the Sox were 0-4. That was the other thing you used to say that killed me inside.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 12:00 PM
One other thing Doc, what was more important in 2000? The Sox winning the AL Central,or the Cubs(with one of the worst records in all of baseball)being CO-CITY Champs? Thought so!!

Well you invented the City Champs thing and you're the one who soiled himself in joy that the Cubbies split with the Sox that year, so what was more important to you?

washington
11-04-2003, 02:02 PM
It does'nt bother me for one second that the Sox are 'City Champs',but Doc,it's killing some folks that the Cubs Won their Division.

The memories the Cubs gave us during their last 3 games of the post-season will last a lifetime. Well worth the irritation of watching them become "MLB's tallest midgets/NL Central champs" thanks to the combined Houston/St. Louis gag job.

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
The only reason we tied that year is because we threw away the third game of the Comiskey series in anticipation of the upcoming gauntlet of Indians and Yankees and you know it!

And don't bring up the October 2000 records, either, where the Cubs were 1-0? and the Sox were 0-4. That was the other thing you used to say that killed me inside.

If the Sox 'threw' that game away then THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM,not the Cubs,and certainly not mine!! Still whining about the Vines Play in 1998???

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by washington
The memories the Cubs gave us during their last 3 games of the post-season will last a lifetime. Well worth the irritation of watching them become "MLB's tallest midgets/NL Central champs" thanks to the combined Houston/St. Louis gag job.

I don t know,,,,it seems to me with the Cubs winning just 85 and not much expected---they did pretty well to take out the Braves and give the Marlins a better battle than the Giants or Yankees. The Cubs in fact won 6 Playoff games this season.The Sox in 83,93 & 2000 combined have won a total of 3 Playoff Games,and consider that the Sox had the best record in the AL in 2000 and got swept,and in 1983 they scored a grand total of 3 runs in their four game series loss to the Orioles---so if you're talking about 'Gag Jobs' look in the mirror(as well as Minnesota late in the season). Trust me,I don t enjoy bringing this up(since many members of all 3 of those Sox teams I consider Friends) BUT YOU ASKED FOR IT.

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Memories not only of '03, but '84 too. Talk about monumental choke jobs :D:

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Well, be that as it may, saying the cubs of 2000 won or tied for anything of meaning is grasping for straws. Even if that cub team was co-city champs, it's hollow at best because of what I already mentioned.

CubKilla
11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
so if you're talking about 'Gag Jobs' look in the mirror

Gag jobs? Maybe. But the Sox were never in the position that the Cubs were in of only having to win 1 out of the final 3 games in both '84 and '03 just to have pulled not one, but two choke jobs for posterity.

Two completely delicious chokes (apologies to Mr. Marriotti).

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 02:51 PM
Well, be that as it may, saying the cubs of 2000 won or tied for anything of meaning is grasping for straws. Even if that cub team was co-city champs, it's hollow at best because of what I already mentioned.

Some of you are awsome at twisting and turning things the way YOU want. If the Cubs were'nt Co-City Champs(despite their horsecrap record)in 2000 then the Sox are'nt City Champs this year---even tho I HAVE SAID all along the Sox ARE 2003 CITY Champs. They beat the Cubs 4 of 6 fair and square---no excuses!!
In 2000,the Cubs split the 6 with the Sox,,but all I hear are whiney excuses('we threw that 3rd game at Comiskey' etc). Hell I never mentioned how Wood faced the Sox just once this year(he beat Loaiza)or that Prior never face the Sox. Of course Loaiza faced the Cubs just once. No excuses,,just facts.. "The Astos and Cards Choked",,,"The Braves choked",,,"The Cubs played weak CIN & Pitt the last 2 weeks",,,"The NL Central is weak",,,
WHAAA,WHAAA,WHAAA!! The AL Central is nothing to write home about either and the Sox should have won it by 8 games(that was MY prediction),but they did'nt.

washington
11-04-2003, 02:54 PM
I don t know,,,,it seems to me with the Cubs winning just 85 and not much expected---they did pretty well to take out the Braves and give the Marlins a better battle than the Giants or Yankees.

The Braves have a well-deserved reputation for post-season choking, ever since 1996 so what's the surprise that they choked against the Scrubs? As to the "we gave the Marlins a better battle," that's just loser talk, save it for the Scrub fans, WSI members are way too smart for that nonsense.

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 03:00 PM
The Braves have a well-deserved reputation for post-season choking, ever since 1996 so what's the surprise that they choked against the Scrubs? As to the "we gave the Marlins a better battle," that's just loser talk, save it for the Scrub fans, WSI members are way too smart for that nonsense.

Yeah,,,your the one's(some but not ALL Sox Fans certainly) that have a Fan O Meter to tell you when to make noise,or do the Wave(only venu in Chicago the do that awful thing). You wont see that crap at Wrigley Field. Want me to go on? I could,but there are plenty of GREAT Sox Fans that I do not wish to insult even tho you choose to call out ALL Cubs Fans.

washington
11-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Yeah,,,your the one's(some but not ALL Sox Fans certainly) that have a Fan O Meter to tell you when to make noise,or do the Wave(only venu in Chicago the do that awful thing). You wont see that crap at Wrigley Field. Want me to go on? I could,but there are plenty of GREAT Sox Fans that I do not wish to insult even tho you choose to call out ALL Cubs Fans.

Oh please. Wrigley has their doofus organist who plays "charge" to induce the fans to make noise. Fans doing the wave at Sox park is not as remotely lame as Scrub fans singing along with Bea Arthur to "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" (which they did in 2001).

Face it, instead of this year being the near-triumph it should have been, the Scrubs and their fans come out of it as complete laughingstocks naturally because of Bartman, Gonzalez, the 8-run 8th and the blown 3-1 series. Their hard-won reputation as losers are stronger than ever.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
...In 2000, the Cubs split the 6 with the Sox, but all I hear are whiney excuses ('we threw that 3rd game at Comiskey' etc). Hell I never mentioned how Wood faced the Sox just once this year (he beat Loaiza) or that Prior never face the Sox. Of course Loaiza faced the Cubs just once. No excuses, just facts.. "The Astos and Cards Choked",,,"The Braves choked",,,"The Cubs played weak CIN & Pitt the last 2 weeks",,,"The NL Central is weak",,,
WHAAA,WHAAA,WHAAA!! The AL Central is nothing to write home about either and the Sox should have won it by 8 games(that was MY prediction), but they didn't.

"Whiney Excuses"? Then you go on to whine about Wood facing the Sox once last year and Prior not facing the Sox at all. Who's fault is that? That sounds like an excuse on your part for your team losing 4 of 6 to the Sox.

Let's not forget Les that Wood has one win in what 6 starts against the Sox. When Prior started last year the Sox won, in case you forgot.

Les, you claim to want facts.

* Do you disagree with the FACT that the NL Central was weak?

* Did the Cubbies have an easy schedule in September, against teams that threw the towel in?

* Did the Astros choke?

No for the question that you'll no doubt dodge...

* Yes or no, did the Cubbies choke in the 2003 NLCS?

Face it, (Cubs & Sox) both suck!!

...As for my favorite team, most days, they cant get any runs even if they ate a whole box of EXLAX! Losing to a slug like Ryan Vogelsong! They are a complete joke. Yes they are still alive, but they will not make it unless the Astros choke. Pittsburgh use's the Cubs as their B-----s, always have. Les' comments on Cubbies after the Cubbies split a DH with the lowly Pirates. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24770&highlight=pirates)

rmusacch
11-04-2003, 03:21 PM

It looks like Geraldo Rivera to me.

Chisox353014
11-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Yeah,,,your the one's(some but not ALL Sox Fans certainly) that have a Fan O Meter to tell you when to make noise,or do the Wave(only venu in Chicago the do that awful thing). You wont see that crap at Wrigley Field.

Hmmm... these things are lame, true. But nowhere near as lame as:
:woo-woo :barney&sham

Don't make me bring up no-talent ass-clown Michael Bolton singing the 7th-inning stretch a few years ago. Any argument about lameness begins and ends right there. :D:

batmanZoSo
11-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Les, I think the rotation matchups are a little different than what we did in that third game in 2000. That's just the luck of the draw. I will give them credit enough that they were co-city champs in 2000 (the title having nothing to do with anything but the two series). But like I also said, it's hollow because not only did they just tie us, but we had the better year by a long shot.

Now don't think I'm using double standards, because I never bragged about us wining 4-2 this year. I'll take a 2-4 record against the cubs and a playoff berth over what we had in 03. Of course, "in a perfect world," the Sox will go 6-0 and win it all.

Foulke You
11-04-2003, 03:25 PM

Ok, I was going to stay out of this one but I can't resist a good old fashioned Sox fans vs. Cubs fans argument especially with Grobber. :D:

Did I not witness the most of the Wrigley Field crowd on national TV doing the tomahawk chop when the Cubs were playing against THE MARLINS :?: in the NLCS????!!! :?: Did someone mention to these clueless Cub fan fools that they weren't playing the Braves anymore and that they weren't offending the Marlins players in the slightest? Or perhaps many of the Wrigley faithful thought the Braves series was still going on and not noticing the teal uniforms on the Marlins players? Maybe some Cub fans need a "fan-o-meter" on the scoreboard to tell them which team they are playing in the playoffs?

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Oh please. Wrigley has their doofus organist who plays "charge" to induce the fans to make noise. Fans doing the wave at Sox park is not as remotely lame as Scrub fans singing along with Bea Arthur to "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" (which they did in 2001).

Face it, instead of this year being the near-triumph it should have been, the Scrubs and their fans come out of it as complete laughingstocks naturally because of Bartman, Gonzalez, the 8-run 8th and the blown 3-1 series. Their hard-won reputation as losers are stronger than ever.

The Organist at Wrigley-Gary Pressey is a protege of Nancy Faust so their goes your first little wise crack down the drain.2nd,gosh help anyone that would have done at a Sox Playoff Game-let's say against Carlos Lee what Bartman did at Wrigley,,,,it would have been the SAME reaction by Sox Fans.Come on,,,deny it!!!
Also,Alex Gonzalez joins the likes of Leon Durham,Greg Maddux and other Cubs and oh yes,,let's not forget(even tho you conveniently did)the 'Dibber'(in 83),Oh for Bo Jackson,and Jack McDowell(in 93),and Frank Thomas's O fer in 2000. The Cubs do not have a monopoly on Post Season chokes.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 03:29 PM

The so-called celebrity Take Me Out... is nothing but an advertisement and it takes place in The Shrine where we always hear how sacred it is because there is no advertising.

:barney&sham
"Barney, tank-you for the THG."

washington
11-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Les, you claim to want facts.

* Do you disagree with the FACT that the NL Central was weak?

Exactly, it was by far the weakest in baseball. And the Scrubs had the advantage of playing 12 games against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati in September, after each had coughed up almost every single good player it had; both teams in September were as bad as or worse than Detroit was all year.

And with all that, they needed favors from Milwaukee and Houston to survive

washington
11-04-2003, 03:36 PM
The Organist at Wrigley-Gary Pressey is a protege of Nancy Faust so their goes your first little wise crack down the drain.

Too bad she couldn't loan him any of her talent or cleverness.

Foulke You
11-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Also,Alex Gonzalez joins the likes of Leon Durham,Greg Maddux and other Cubs

Les, out of curiosity do you think that the Cubs fans and Chicago media let Alex Gonzalez off the hook with that huge E-6 in the 8th inning? I don't know if I agree that Gonzalez will be mentioned with with Leon Durham in Cubs lore. To me and anyone who knows the game, the Alex Gonzalez error/botched DP was the defining play in the whole inning yet Steve Bartman seems to have saved Alex Gonzalez from the infamy of a Bill Buckner or Leon Durham. He has taken 95% of the criticism. I believe the name "Bartman" will be invoked along with Leon Durham and others and not Gonzalez. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on this.

34 Inch Stick
11-04-2003, 04:02 PM

Get out of the way Ozzie, I got dibs on that free lunch table.

Hey Les, you steal any toilet paper out of the Cell's bathroom while you were there?

Make sure to save your free newspapers at the office so you can use them to wrap the free media guides you will be giving out as Christmas presents this year.

soxrme
11-04-2003, 04:16 PM
4 out of 6 and if not the "b" Sunday lineups maybe a sweep, at least 5 out of 6. And you are welcome.

jabrch
11-04-2003, 04:34 PM
I could care less if we got swept by the Cubs IF we would have won the division. The Cubs got the better of us this year - despit losing 4 of 6. They were 5 outs away for a WS - we were 4 games behind Minnesota by the end of the year. And I tell you what - if it weren't for Sosa, I'd trade our starting 8 + 5 for theirs any day for the next 2-3 years.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I could care less if we got swept by the Cubs IF we would have won the division. The Cubs got the better of us this year - despit losing 4 of 6. They were 5 outs away for a WS - we were 4 games behind Minnesota by the end of the year. And I tell you what - if it weren't for Sosa, I'd trade our starting 8 + 5 for theirs any day for the next 2-3 years.

5 outs away from a World Series and they had Prior and Wood pitching, hailed as the "best pitchers in baseball", AND homefield advantage then they lose it! That is what makes the Cubbies 2003 NLCS the BIGGEST CHOKE EVER IN CHICAGO BASEBALL AND ONE OF THE BIGGEST CHOKES IN BASEBALL HISTORY!

Les tries to confuse the matter by bringing up Sox chokes. But those past Sox chokes in no way compare to the Cubbies choke this year.

BTW Les still has not said whether or not he believes that the Cubbies choked this year.

GoSox2K3
11-04-2003, 04:52 PM
..it seems to me with the Cubs winning just 85 and not much expected ---they did pretty well ...

Not much expected? Was that in the parallel universe Chicago media?

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to hear from someone from the media, but since this thread has degenerated into a petty argument of who won more games in '98, comparison of organists, etc., I'm going to say: :threadsucks

steff
11-04-2003, 04:54 PM

OMG!! This gets my vote!!

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Ok, I was going to stay out of this one but I can't resist a good old fashioned Sox fans vs. Cubs fans argument especially with Grobber. :D:

Did I not witness the most of the Wrigley Field crowd on national TV doing the tomahawk chop when the Cubs were playing against THE MARLINS :?: in the NLCS????!!! :?: Did someone mention to these clueless Cub fan fools that they weren't playing the Braves anymore and that they weren't offending the Marlins players in the slightest? Or perhaps many of the Wrigley faithful thought the Braves series was still going on and not noticing the teal uniforms on the Marlins players? Maybe some Cub fans need a "fan-o-meter" on the scoreboard to tell them which team they are playing in the playoffs?

No,you can keep your electronic cheerleader on the South Side.The Cubs Fans did the Chop to mock what Atlanta Fans do.They did not do it during the Fla series--I was at every game and the did not do it during the NLCS. Nice try tho!!

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
4 out of 6 and if not the "b" Sunday lineups maybe a sweep, at least 5 out of 6. And you are welcome.

Thank you VERY LITTLE!! I could care less whom your Mgr puts out there!

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
5 outs away from a World Series and they had Prior and Wood pitching, hailed as the "best pitchers in baseball", AND homefield advantage then they lose it! That is what makes the Cubbies 2003 NLCS the BIGGEST CHOKE EVER IN CHICAGO BASEBALL AND ONE OF THE BIGGEST CHOKES IN BASEBALL HISTORY!

Les tries to confuse the matter by bringing up Sox chokes. But those past Sox chokes in no way compare to the Cubbies choke this year.

BTW Les still has not said whether or not he believes that the Cubbies choked this year.

84 was a Choke, this time they got beat by a better team!! In 83 the Sox choked,but in 93 THEY got beat by a better team(Toronto). No they did not choke Doc,and Home Field is BS, the Cubs were lousy at home all year,they were pretty good on the road. BTW the Sox are 0-7 at home in 83,93 & 2000 postseason combined while going 3-3 on the road which is'nt bad at all so doont give mee this Home Field stuff.

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Get out of the way Ozzie, I got dibs on that free lunch table.

Hey Les, you steal any toilet paper out of the Cell's bathroom while you were there?

Make sure to save your free newspapers at the office so you can use them to wrap the free media guides you will be giving out as Christmas presents this year.

CUTE!!! (or not!!).

Daver
11-04-2003, 05:12 PM
84 was a Choke, this time they got beat by a better team!! In 83 the Sox choked,but in 93 THEY got beat by a better team(Toronto). No they did not choke Doc,and Home Field is BS, the Cubs were lousy at home all year,they were pretty good on the road. BTW the Sox are 0-7 at home in 83,93 & 2000 postseason combined while going 3-3 on the road which is'nt bad at all so doont give mee this Home Field stuff.

Les,they choked.

:)

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 05:13 PM
...They did not do it during the Fla series--I was at every game and the did not do it during the NLCS. Nice try tho!!

Oh yes they did! They showed the delusional Cubbie fans doing the Tomahawk chop DURING THE NLCS.

If you taped the games then go back and watch and you'll see the Cubbie fans doing the Tomahawk chop WHEN they were playing the Marlins. The Fox broadcasters commented on the stupidity of doing the chop when they were playing the Marlins.

Les just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. It did.

I know you're a Democrat but good job on the cover-up Nixon.

Foulke You
11-04-2003, 05:18 PM
No,you can keep your electronic cheerleader on the South Side.The Cubs Fans did the Chop to mock what Atlanta Fans do.They did not do it during the Fla series--I was at every game and the did not do it during the NLCS. Nice try tho!!

You are quite wrong on this one Grobber. Go back and check your tapes of Game 3 and 4. The Fox cameras showed huge close ups of gleeful Cub fans in the bleachers and in the upper deck in unison doing the chop motion and the "Ohhhh-ohhhh-ohhh...ohhhh-ohh-oh". I remember it vividly and so do the three friends I watched the game with and one of them is a Cubs fan.

The chop was most certainly done at Wrigley Field during the NLCS against the MARLINS during the first Cubs home game of the series and while it was fine to mock the Atlanta fans during the Braves series, (rightfully so) it was beyond idiotic to do it during the Marlins series.

oheeoh...magglio
11-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Anyone who denies the Cubs choked this year is simply fooling themselves. The Cubs choke this year, to be conservative, was one of the 10, more likely one of the 5 worst choke jobs in the history of baseball, and definitely worse than the '84 choke. They had the world series, but then bartman/the goat showed up in the 8th inning of game 6, and that was that. Oh and btw, Dusty proved how overrated a manager he is in the marlins series. He's a great motivator, but has very pedestrian at best in-game player management skills.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Les,they choked.

Les, the Cubbies choked this year. If you can't see that then you need to go to a Cubbie fan rehab center.

When virtually everyone in the media and Cubbie fans were boasting how they had a lock on the World Series, then losing, that my friend is a choke.

Steve Stoner on ESPN prior to the last two games at The Shrine said, "There is no way the Cubs will lose two straight. Not with Prior and Wood pitching."

Kerry Wood admits that the Cubbies choked.

Les usually you're honest and candid. But when it comes to your Cubbies you lose your objectivity, just like Mark Giangreco admitted.

Les the Cubbies...
http://unionbridgevfc8.homestead.com/files/CHOKING.GIF

FarWestChicago
11-04-2003, 05:55 PM
They did not do it during the Fla series--I was at every game and the did not do it during the NLCS. Nice try tho!! Les, actually they were doing the fake chop during the NLCS. It was bizarre. See if you can get a tape of the first two games. You'll be surprised.

Keep up the good fight here, though. This is fun. :cool:

hose
11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Les, the Cubbies choked this year. If you can't see that then you need to go to a Cubbie fan rehab center.

When virtually everyone in the media and Cubbie fans were boasting how they had a lock on the World Series, then losing, that my friend is a choke.

Steve Stoner on ESPN prior to the last two games at The Shrine said, "There is no way the Cubs will lose two straight. Not with Prior and Wood pitching."

Kerry Wood admits that the Cubbies choked.

Les usually you're honest and candid. But when it comes to your Cubbies you lose your objectivity, just like Mark Giangreco admitted.

Les the Cubbies...

Crawdad did you copy this from some Heimlich maneuver literature? :D:

I would like to know if Les let the Bulls fans have it for booing Jerry Krause?

How about cub fans go after Bartman?

santo=dorf
11-04-2003, 08:04 PM

I was watching game one with one of my Cub buddies and when I asked him to explain why these fans were still doing the Braves's chop he replied, "I have no idea what the hell they are doing!" MEMO TO THE BANDWAGONERS: CHECK YOUR TICKET STUB TO SEE WHO YOUR TEAM IS PLAYING>

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by hose
Crawdad did you copy this from some Heimlich maneuver literature?...

Here's the link...

Grobber33
11-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Les,they choked.

That's your Oppinion!! You're not very biased are you??

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 09:48 PM
http://www.bankersonline.com/postcard/pictures/overwhelmed.jpg

I admire you though for coming here and being willing to go a few rounds with us Sox fans.

I'd have to say that I think Sox fans make up a sizable portion of your audience.

BTW when is ESPN 1000 going to give you a regular, daily program? Tell those numb skulls at ESPN to drop some of that lame syndicated stuff and give you a daily show!

FarWestChicago
11-04-2003, 09:50 PM
I admire you though for coming here and being willing to go a few rounds with us Sox fans.Les is cool, even if he is a Flubs fan. I wish I could hear him on the radio. Ralph and Tom here call a guy in Chicago during their show every now and then. Too bad it's not the Grobber.

DrCrawdad
11-04-2003, 09:51 PM

That's the opinion of Kerry Wood too. Candid Cubbie fans would have to admit that they choked. If that wasn't a choke then I don't know what was.

Please explain why you think it was NOT a choke? If you can explain away this as NOT a choke then 1983, 1993, 2000 and 1959 were not chokes either nor was this year for the Sox. BTW I do think the Sox choked this year, but that was not close to the choke of the Cubbies.

FarWestChicago
11-04-2003, 09:55 PM
That's the opinion of Kerry Wood too. Candid Cubbie fans would have to admit that they choked. If that wasn't a choke then I don't know what was.

Please explain why you think it was NOT a choke? If you can explain away this as NOT a choke then 1983, 1993, 2000 and 1959 were not chokes either nor was this year for the Sox. BTW I do think the Sox choked this year, but that was not close to the choke of the Cubbies. Hey, there's a show idea. Grobber's Top 10 Chokes in Chicago Sports History. :D:

Daver
11-04-2003, 10:06 PM

Me?

Biased?

Heavens no.

I call them as I see them.

Ask me if the White Sox choked this year.

Yes they did.

1951Campbell
11-04-2003, 10:15 PM
Les...gimme a break, ferchrissakes.

That is all.

34 Inch Stick
11-05-2003, 08:01 AM

Ozzie, you have my every loyalty.

Jerko
11-05-2003, 08:49 AM
Ozzie: Sheesus, I hope I dont's have to light a fire under THAT ass; I needs more kindlings!

LuvSox
11-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Do you folks realize you are arguing with Les Grobstein? That's like picking a fight with a retarded person. After awhile you need a challenge. Move on.

TommyJohn
11-05-2003, 11:33 AM
I don t know,,,,it seems to me with the Cubs winning just 85 and not much expected---they did pretty well to take out the Braves and give the Marlins a better battle than the Giants or Yankees. The Cubs in fact won 6 Playoff games this season.The Sox in 83,93 & 2000 combined have won a total of 3 Playoff Games,and consider that the Sox had the best record in the AL in 2000 and got swept,and in 1983 they scored a grand total of 3 runs in their four game series loss to the Orioles---so if you're talking about 'Gag Jobs' look in the mirror(as well as Minnesota late in the season). Trust me,I don t enjoy bringing this up(since many members of all 3 of those Sox teams I consider Friends) BUT YOU ASKED FOR IT.

Sigh......

I knew it was a matter of time before these pissing matches
turned into a match of "oh, yeah? Well, how many games did
yooooouuuuu guys win? Nyah!" What's next, my team has
bigger bats than your team?

34 Inch Stick
11-05-2003, 12:02 PM

Hey, Marv Albert became famous by biting some old woman's back. Imagine what will happen if I tounge some dude's ear!

hose
11-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Do you folks realize you are arguing with Les Grobstein? That's like picking a fight with a retarded person. After awhile you need a challenge. Move on.

I disagree with you 100%

Les is a walking sports encyclopedia with a photographic memory, he just happens to be a cub fan

Brian26
11-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Does anyone else, like me, read Grobstein's posts and actually hear his voice in your head saying the words that you're reading? All of the 5th grade spelling errors and grammar mistakes aside, it's pretty entertaining.

batmanZoSo
11-05-2003, 09:05 PM
No, it's just you.

He knows more about Chicago sports than anyone here. And knows more facts about just the White Sox than you do about anything and everything.

DrCrawdad
11-05-2003, 09:34 PM
No, it's just you.

He knows more about Chicago sports than anyone here. And knows more facts about just the White Sox than you do about anything and everything.

HERE, HERE!

I've heard Cub fans boastfully say, "Sox fans hate the Cubs. Cubs fans hate Sox fans." I can honestly say that I do NOT dislike someone because of the silly baseball team they follow. But I do despise arrogant tools, which a good number of Cub fans are. Les Grobstein is not arrogant or a tool. I admire Les' knowledge of sports history and I know he's a good person. The fact that I debate and argue with Les does not mean that I dislike him. In fact I respect Les for taking the time to go toe-to-toe with me.

Les, I'm a longtime fan. Please excuse those who've slipped into mean personal attacks. Best wishes to you in your professional and personal life.

I know you don't drink, so I'll have one for you.
:gulp:

Brian26
11-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Les Grobstein is not arrogant or a tool. I admire Les' knowledge of sports history and I know he's a good person.

I agree. Les is a wealth of knowledge and is actually one Cub fan that is fun to debate with. You can tell he has a good heart. Like I said, it's entertaining.

batmanZoSo
11-05-2003, 10:56 PM
DrCraw,

Les is my favorite local radio guy. Even though he hasn't done score overnight in a long time, I still miss it. The jerk they got now, whatever his name is....some national bozo ex-football player. If I want national crap I'll put on Dan Patrick. But anyway I always liked Les because he knows the facts and he does his homework. I mean you always hear score guys forgetting players names and just going along without correcting a misinformed caller (usually because they don't know
themselves). He doesn't perpetuate false rumors because of a lack of knowledge and he gives the Sox the credit they deserve when they deserve it...what more could you ask for? And what other radio guy would come here and talk to us? Every media guy seems to "lurk" and paste our posts into their columns, but they don't have the guts to post.

So many people here say stupid things just because he's a cub fan. You know, there are good cub fans out there. I judge baseball fans not by the color of their jersey, but by the content of their character. And he doesn't give a rats ### about the cheap insults he's given around here. I guess some people relish the opportunity to talk down to a celebrity...maybe it makes them feel better.

Les, thanks for being a "man of the people," knowing your stuff and being professional unlike others in your business. I'm not being a kiss-### here, but it's good to have you in town.

StillMissOzzie
11-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Thank you VERY LITTLE!! I could care less whom your Mgr puts out there!

It's "I COULDN'T care less", Les. You'd think a jounalist could get this one right!

And one more thing - am I the only one who thinks it's TOTALLY POINTLESS to create a stat by combining the '83, '93, and '00 team's home losses?

SMO
:gulp:

Grobber33
11-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Does anyone else, like me, read Grobstein's posts and actually hear his voice in your head saying the words that you're reading? All of the 5th grade spelling errors and grammar mistakes aside, it's pretty entertaining.

Good point on the Spelling and Grammar stuff. First of all,that's what happens when I try to type faster than I should,,,,,second,the keboard on this computer needs BIG TIME work--which is being done,,,,,,and 3rd,,,I went to Chicago Public Schools and that IS a legit excuse! Altho that HS I went to(Von Steuben)kicked some butt in hoops this past year,and became the first Public League NORTHSIDE School to go downstate to the Elite 8 since 1938(when it was Von as well). Oh, yes, they won Playoff games at Whitney Young and Farragut(not bad)and have their entire team back this year---look out Peoria!!!

Lastly,the CPS System is much better now than when I attended,,we almost had to take the ELEVLYN WOODHEAD SPED RIDDEN CURSE FOR INCREASED COMPREENSHION!!!(sic)