PDA

View Full Version : Some Marlins fans don't think too highly of Ozzie Guillen

Steve Bartman
11-03-2003, 04:43 PM
This is from the offical Marlins message board......

Yep, looks like he's their new skipper. White Sox just love to recruit Marlins coaches after every one of our championships...
I don't think he will make a good manager at all. The only thing he's good at is being funny and loosening players up. He got lucky in the postseason and the announcers praised him by calling him "agressive," but if you saw him throughout the whole season (162 games not just the last week) he made a whole bunch of bonehead base running calls and sending runners home. He relies too much on his initial instincts. He's gonna be worse than Manuel .

The only thing Guillen would be good for is an infield coach, bunting instructor or bench coach. That is it. He was a mediocre third base coach and got lucky in the postseason with his "agressiveness," which I call sheer luck. Of course if you watched him only in the playoffs and a few games a year, like most the ESPN, FOX and bandwagoners did, you would think he's Einstein, but he's absolutely no where near. Oh and I read that on another forum that Ozzie is a classy guy? That is really funny. The guy will curse you out if you approach him for an signature or ask him for something... He's only nice on TV.

He's a nice guy to his PLAYERS, but a classy overall guy, he is not. I've met him over 10 times in the players parking lot. Just me and my brother and he always has his little Venezuelan clique of family and friends in the parking lot and if you approach him in any way, he'll curse you out, yell and give you dirty looks.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-marlins&msg=5260.1&ctx=0

guillen4life13
11-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman
This is from the offical Marlins message board......

Yep, looks like he's their new skipper. White Sox just love to recruit Marlins coaches after every one of our championships...
I don't think he will make a good manager at all. The only thing he's good at is being funny and loosening players up. He got lucky in the postseason and the announcers praised him by calling him "agressive," but if you saw him throughout the whole season (162 games not just the last week) he made a whole bunch of bonehead base running calls and sending runners home. He relies too much on his initial instincts. He's gonna be worse than Manuel .

The only thing Guillen would be good for is an infield coach, bunting instructor or bench coach. That is it. He was a mediocre third base coach and got lucky in the postseason with his "agressiveness," which I call sheer luck. Of course if you watched him only in the playoffs and a few games a year, like most the ESPN, FOX and bandwagoners did, you would think he's Einstein, but he's absolutely no where near. Oh and I read that on another forum that Ozzie is a classy guy? That is really funny. The guy will curse you out if you approach him for an signature or ask him for something... He's only nice on TV.

He's a nice guy to his PLAYERS, but a classy overall guy, he is not. I've met him over 10 times in the players parking lot. Just me and my brother and he always has his little Venezuelan clique of family and friends in the parking lot and if you approach him in any way, he'll curse you out, yell and give you dirty looks.

These are just the quotes of some schmoe we (or at least most of us) have never heard of. What credibility is there to these words?

Rocky Soprano
11-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Check out what the REAL Marlins fans are saying:

http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9470

Realist
11-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman

My brother met Ozzie Guillen years ago when he still played with the Sox. He had the same experience. My brother went down to watch some spring training a Guillen fan and has nothing good to say about him since.

CHISOXFAN13
11-03-2003, 05:09 PM
I love when people make a generalization about someone after one meeting.

Is it ok for baseball players/coaches to have bad days of do they have to be generous with their time/happy all the time????

jeremyb1
11-03-2003, 06:38 PM
I fail to see how success or failure as a third base coach translates into success or failure as a manager. Making split second decisions to send or hold a runner at third base doesn't say all that much about how well you can motivate players in a clubhouse or handle a pitching staff.

Randar68
11-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I fail to see how success or failure as a third base coach translates into success or failure as a manager. Making split second decisions to send or hold a runner at third base doesn't say all that much about how well you can motivate players in a clubhouse or handle a pitching staff.

Stop thinking for yourself, Jeremy. God forbid you actually look at the situation objectively.

"More Kool-aid for anyone? More Kool-aid for EVERYONE!"