PDA

View Full Version : Joey Cora new 3B Coach?

Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 04:02 PM
ESPN 1000, by way of Bruce Levine, reported that Joey Cora is expected to become our new third base coach.

longshot7
11-03-2003, 04:16 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randar68
11-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
ESPN 1000, by way of Bruce Levine, reported that Joey Cora is expected to become our new third base coach.

Please tell me this whole day was just a joke. Ugh.

CHISOXFAN13
11-03-2003, 04:29 PM
It's funny reading everyone who is displeased about thodasy as if everyone has seen Guillen manage and Cora coach third base.

rcescato
11-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Joey Cora,
I think Paco Martin is a better choice.
how about jack mcdowell being our pitching coach.
steve sax at first

MarkEdward
11-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Man, our coaching staff is going to be composed of some pretty bad players. Check out their stats:
Ozzie Guillen: .264/.287/.338, 69 OPS+
Rafeal Santana: .246/.295/.307, 69 OPS+
Joey Cora: .277/.348/.369, 90 OPS+
Don Cooper: 85 IP, 5.27 ERA, 76 ERA+
Greg Walker: .260/.326/.449, 108 OPS+
Joe Nossek: .228/.252/.301, 60 OPS+
Art Kusnyer: .176/.231/.230, 39 OPS+

Put Cora's OBP and Walker's SLG together and you have a pretty good player. And Man Soo Lee is known as the Babe Ruth of Korea. Aside from that, blech.

Not that this really means anything. Just fun to note...

Randar68
11-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
It's funny reading everyone who is displeased about thodasy as if everyone has seen Guillen manage and Cora coach third base.

All the more reason. You expecting to contend next year? I'm not anymore.

No experience, at ANY level, not even little league. This is like starting the season with 3 rookie starters in your rotation.

Randar68
11-03-2003, 05:07 PM

I think it's funny to read people defending a move of hiring a guy with ZERO experience, a loud mouth, a guy who never took a walk (key offensive aspect missing), and who bad-mouthed the organization when he left last time.

THAT is funny, especially when you add all the veterans nearly his age to the equation. Yep, Respect is just oozing from the clubhouse already. Sheeeesh.

RKMeibalane
11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I think it's funny to read people defending a move of hiring a guy with ZERO experience, a loud mouth, a guy who never took a walk (key offensive aspect missing), and who bad-mouthed the organization when he left last time.

THAT is funny, especially when you add all the veterans nearly his age to the equation. Yep, Respect is just oozing from the clubhouse already. Sheeeesh.

I'm already estimating the numbers of days before Frank tries to strangle him. Guillen may be able to inject fire into this team, but the problem with fire is that it gets out of control fast. The entire team could crash and burn if things don't work out.

Hondo
11-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Yeah God forbitd the manager is actually in charge. It's always a good idea to playcate your jackass superstar.

You know Frank is who he is. More importantly he's a hell of a hitter.(hitter not all around ballplayer) You will never make him the vocal leader of this team and that's fine. I think all Ozzie is trying to do is get him to maximize what he can give to his teamates whatever that may be.

But it doesn't matter. The White Sox will go 0-162 and the clubhouse will be burned to the ground.

Get over the fatalism guys. You're starting to sound like those awful Red Sox fans.

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I'm already estimating the numbers of days before Frank tries to strangle him. Guillen may be able to inject fire into this team, but the problem with fire is that it gets out of control fast. The entire team could crash and burn if things don't work out.

I think you're right - I think he is going to be a huge success or a stunning, horrible failure. Either everyone will buy in and he'll light a fire under the team, and they'll play great. Or they'll completely tune him out and lose control of the team early and we'll be back in the Bevington era. I don't see him being simply medicore like JM was most of his time here. Should be interesting.

SoxxoS
11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Are we shunning the hire of a 3rd base coach?

For that-

:threadsucks

Randar68
11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Yeah God forbitd the manager is actually in charge. It's always a good idea to playcate your jackass superstar.

You know Frank is who he is. More importantly he's a hell of a hitter.(hitter not all around ballplayer) You will never make him the vocal leader of this team and that's fine. I think all Ozzie is trying to do is get him to maximize what he can give to his teamates whatever that may be.

But it doesn't matter. The White Sox will go 0-162 and the clubhouse will be burned to the ground.

Get over the fatalism guys. You're starting to sound like those awful Red Sox fans.

At least we won't be crushed by another failed playoff push. Frank's a jackass? Thanks Jay. Write another whiney-ass column and get off your high-horse.

Frank isn't a leader, but he's a nice guy who speaks his mind. Seems like a lot of what people are praising about Guillen. He's a hell of a hitter and hits the ball in the air when it's called for and goes the other way when it's needed. Anyone who thinks Frank was the problem this year has no clue what they're talking about.

mike squires
11-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Stats aside Guillen and Cora both played with alot of heart and have knowledge of everyday baseball, clubhouse/media/situational hitting etc. etc. I think everything will be fine. Let's not forget it's the players that play the game and ultimatly decide whether this team fails or succeeds.

Daver
11-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Look at the bright side folks,we have one of the worst baserunners ever as a manager,and we will have an almost equally bad baserunner signaling the runners.

Randar68
11-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Look at the bright side folks,we have one of the worst baserunners ever as a manager,and we will have an almost equally bad baserunner signaling the runners.

Yep, this just made my offseason. I guess I can save 200 bucks (or whatever it costs) on MLB Season Ticket next year

Hondo
11-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yep, this just made my offseason. I guess I can save 200 bucks (or whatever it costs) on MLB Season Ticket next year

Yeah I'd stop watching if I were you too.

Just hop back on the bandwagon if they do well.

bitch bitch bitch

If he sucks I'll stand up and shout he was a bad hire until that point it's fine by me. You're allowed to have reservations but get over yourself.

You sound like a Red Sox fan.

Randar68
11-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Yeah I'd stop watching if I were you too.

Just hop back on the bandwagon if they do well.

bitch bitch bitch

If he sucks I'll stand up and shout he was a bad hire until that point it's fine by me. You're allowed to have reservations but get over yourself.

You sound like a Red Sox fan.

If I don't like the hire, then, "I can't get over myself?"

Wow, can I live in your world?

Hondo
11-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Of course you can. Just be nice to the other kids in the sandbox. :)

Randar68
11-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Of course you can. Just be nice to the other kids in the sandbox. :)

Nahhh, no thanks then. This is more fun. You can have fantasy-land.

MHOUSE
11-03-2003, 07:22 PM
If Guillen listens to Coop about the pitching staff and goes to Nossek for advice then he'll be fine. The guys around him know their stuff and is your third base coach really that integral to winning? I mean as long is it's not Wavin' Wally or Wavin' Wendell Kim (Cubs) then I think we'll be ok. I'd like to see Jose as third base coach, but sadly he'll still be playing shortstop....

TDog
11-03-2003, 10:36 PM
As third base coach, Joey Cora would probably mistakenly give the strike-out sign with runners on third and less than two out. Our baserunners have enough trouble picking up coaches who are actually the size of real men, right?

People wanted a change from JM, and they're going to get one. The least you can do is give the Ozzaroo and his new coaches a chance.

JRIG
11-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
If Guillen listens to Coop about the pitching staff and goes to Nossek for advice then he'll be fine. The guys around him know their stuff and is your third base coach really that integral to winning? I mean as long is it's not Wavin' Wally or Wavin' Wendell Kim (Cubs) then I think we'll be ok. I'd like to see Jose as third base coach, but sadly he'll still be playing shortstop....

So our new manager is actually a hybrid of Cooper and Nossek, and Ozzie Guillen is our new head cheerleader. Wonderful.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Just the mention of Joey Cora's name reminds me of those hysterical "Good Guys Wear Black" TV commercials from the early-90's.

"The Jockey" Joey Cora dressed in racing silks and carrying a whip.

"Officer" Ron Karkovice with a toothpick in his mouth, dressed as a cop holding a radar gun.

Does anybody else remember Belle, Thomas, and Ventura dressed up in black suits like Resevoir Dogs for the "Lineshot" commercials back in '98? Priceless!

Those commercial sure beat that little girl singing "Oo-Ee-Oo!"

:angry:

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-03-2003, 11:06 PM
I remember the Belle, Thomas and Ventura one, that was pure gold.

Mammoo
11-03-2003, 11:14 PM
What's wrong with Joey Cora? :angry:

Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Fred Huebner said last week that girl should be smacked upside the head.

The girl annoys me, but I wouldn't go that far.

Tragg
11-03-2003, 11:42 PM

Well, I did see Guillen bat and Cora play second base. I hope they manage better than they hit/ play 2nd.

chosk8
11-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I remember the Belle, Thomas and Ventura one, that was pure gold.

I saved the magnetic schedule from that year. I figured it would go down as a classic. Lineshot.

Hangar18
11-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

hey there was Nothing wrong with that little kid doing
the OO eee OOO

anewman35
11-04-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
hey there was Nothing wrong with that little kid doing
the OO eee OOO

Nothing wrong with it, except it made me want to kill people and made me embarassed to be a Sox fan...