Post your favorites here....

Mine so far..

"If they don't play right, they're not going to play for me."

FarmerAndy
11-03-2003, 04:17 PM
"I don't want good guys. I want good players."

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
"You're not a home run hitter unless you hit 70 or more homers. To me it's important to play defense..."

Uh-oh...

batmanZoSo
"I hope dey list'ning ri now. If ju do not play the game right...you will not play for me."

He later added, "play hard or I will cut you with da knife."

But the first one he said and I like it a lot. The funny thing is I believe him. If that happens, we're gonna be that much better, no matter who we sign. That's something we need. Motivation.

Viva Magglio
"Frank is going to play my way."

thepaulbowski
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"You're not a home run hitter unless you hit 70 or more homers. To me it's important to play defense..."

Uh-oh...

Good maybe Frank will be in the field then.

valposoxfan
11-03-2003, 04:21 PM
"I don't care if it's Frank or Maggs, they will be bunting. We will play National League ball..."

Uh oh...scaring me.

"If they don't want to play for me, Kenny is available. They can leave."

A little better...

ChiSox14305635
11-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

That's trouble a-brewin'.

bc2k
11-03-2003, 04:24 PM

Uh-oh...

Ozzie said that when describing men on first and second base. He expects that "home run" hitter to move them over, not go for the three run bomb. I love it. Ozzie's right, 30-40 home runs in a season is not a home run hitter.

"Whether you win or lose, the beer tastes the same."

Viva Magglio
"I have a couple beers when we win; I have a couple beers when we lose."

:gulp: :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
Please, please, please somebody tell me he didn't get the job based on what he is saying at the press conference. :smile:

The fish rots from the head.

:angry:

:reinsy
"Kenny, we need to play National League ball!"

:KW
"To hell with home runs, Jer'. We need defense!"

MarqSox
"Some people say the beer tastes better when you win. I don't believe that. The beer tastes the same whether you win or you lose. I drink a couple beers when we lose, I drink a couple beers when we win." :gulp:

Mots09
11-03-2003, 04:25 PM
beer tastes the same either way :)

batmanZoSo
11-03-2003, 04:25 PM
...And to answer everyone's question, "we will have music."

"I disagree, da beer tas' th' same if ju win or looce."

MarqSox
11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
"I got released by Tampa Bay and I thought wow, I can't play for anybody else. I better just go home, and that's what I did."

poorme
11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
I can't give you an exact quote, but I can give you a couple thoughts:

He is quite inspirational given the fact he came to the U.S. at age 16 speaking no English and having very little education.

I recall watching Gene Lamont's press conference and was shocked at how awkward he was in front of the camera answering questions. I was really shocked given media buildup about how great he was.

Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I recall watching Gene Lamont's press conference and was shocked at how awkward he was in front of the camera answering questions. I was really shocked given media buildup about how great he was.

Nothing was wackier than the Terry Bevington introductory press conference:

"I'm confident, and the reason I'm confident is because I'm very confident."

valposoxfan
11-03-2003, 04:29 PM
A reporter asked him a question in Spanish and Ozzie said, "Don't worry guys I speak Spanish."
Pretty funny. How is everyone feeling about this?

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
"I don't care if it's Frank or Maggs, they will be bunting. We will play National League ball..."

Oh my Lord, that's terrifying.

bc2k
11-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Oh my Lord, that's terrifying.

more or less terrifying than a pop-up or double play? more terrifying than finishing second place due to corpseball?

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 04:34 PM

In my opinion, the way to handle Frank is to make sure he knows that you think he's the best and you respect him and think he's a great player, etc., etc., but then you have to ride him a bit, too, and not be afraid to kick him in the arse on occassion (but not in a way that humiliates him). If you do one but not the other, you get moody, distracted, not-so-great Frank, instead of monster Frank the hitting machine.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 04:35 PM
LOL! FSN-Chicago has Hawk on the phone using a bald-shaved picture of Hawk on the screen!

SCARY!!!!

:)

:hawk
"Ozzie is going to tell you exactly what he thinks..."

valposoxfan
11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
LOL! FSN-Chicago has Hawk on the phone using a bald-shaved picture of Hawk on the screen!

SCARY!!!!

"Ozzie is going to tell you exactly what he thinks..."

Hahaha!!

bc2k
11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
KW said something like this: "I surprised myself with my managerial choice." That surprise was JR making you his puppet.

Hawk says the hiring of Ozzie was one of the best moves the organization has made since he's been there.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 04:39 PM
It sounds like Ozzie owes a lot to the success Tony Pena had in KC this season.

"The best managing job in the majors was done by Tony Pena."

"Well stated, Hawk. I couldn't have said it better myself."

:ohno
"He isn't known as the Oracle of Reinsdorphi for nuthin'."

MarqSox
11-03-2003, 04:40 PM
A reporter asked him a question in Spanish and Ozzie said, "Don't worry guys I speak Spanish."
Pretty funny. How is everyone feeling about this?
I didn't realize Ozzie had such a good sense of humor. He was full of amusing lines.

Foulke You
11-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Ozzie had the media in stitches during several stretches of the conference with some of his comments. I remember how Manuel press conferences were "Well, y'know....zzzzzzzzzzz"

One thing is for sure, no matter how this turns out, the 2004 season will be quite interesting. There is definitely going to be some great comments from Ozzie throughout the season.

Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 04:42 PM
On ESPN 1000, Ozzie said...

"It's a shame Jerry Manuel got fired."

doublem23
11-03-2003, 04:42 PM

Here we go!

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
more or less terrifying than a pop-up or double play? more terrifying than finishing second place due to corpseball?

Having Frank Thomas or Magglio Ordonez bunt more than 2 or 3 times per season would be preposterous. In principal, I like the thought of him having those guys prepared to lay one down every once in a (long) while, but if you try to turn this team, with the current roster, into a "small ball" team, they will lose a lot of games and will not be playing to their strengths. Now, if KW is going to re-vamp the roster to fit this style of play, so be it. But Barry Bonds plays in the NL, Albert Pujols plays in the NL, Gary Sheffield plays in the NL, and I promise you those guys are not laying down bunts more than a few times per year - at the most.

Kilroy
11-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Ozzie had the media in stitches during several stretches of the conference with some of his comments. I remember how Manuel press conferences were "Well, y'know....zzzzzzzzzzz"

One thing is for sure, no matter how this turns out, the 2004 season will be quite interesting. There is definitely going to be some great comments from Ozzie throughout the season.

The post game press conference will be must see TV w/ Ozzie. No more going to sleep early...

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 04:49 PM

Thanks for stating what should be obvious to all of the Frank lovers.

jabrch
11-03-2003, 04:49 PM
Having Frank Thomas or Magglio Ordonez bunt more than 2 or 3 times per season would be preposterous. In principal, I like the thought of him having those guys prepared to lay one down every once in a (long) while, but if you try to turn this team, with the current roster, into a "small ball" team, they will lose a lot of games and will not be playing to their strengths. Now, if KW is going to re-vamp the roster to fit this style of play, so be it. But Barry Bonds plays in the NL, Albert Pujols plays in the NL, Gary Sheffield plays in the NL, and I promise you those guys are not laying down bunts more than a few times per year - at the most.

I hope I am at the game to see Frank Thomas bunt. I, for one, will stand up and applaud. I think the crowd would go ape**** to see guys like Frank and Mags do things like that every now and then? Nobody wants them bunting for basehits, but in a tight game or looking for an insurance run, it is nice to be able to get the guy over.

I am not as upset with Ozzie as I would be if Manuel was kept - not that this is the right benchmark...

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
The post game press conference will be must see TV w/ Ozzie. No more going to sleep early...

LOL! This ought to be Post of the Week!

:gulp:

voodoochile

What does corpseball have to do with having the teams best hitters bunt instead of trying something like hit and run or going the other way?

CubKilla
Now, if KW is going to re-vamp the roster to fit this style of play, so be it.

I think that is going to have to be an absolute necessity if Guillen's going to manage the way he said he is.

Remember, JM said the same stuff about bringing the NL game to the AL when he was hired in '98.

MarkPloch
The Sox are better now. We needed fire and intesity and now we have it.

jeremyb1
11-03-2003, 04:54 PM

I can't believe anyone would actually ever have Frank or Maggs bunt. I believe Ozzie said if you couldn't get the runner over you'd be bunting next time. Regardless, this is the type of question you make to set a tone, to inform no one is above the team and you're not going to take any crap, not because you really like the idea of Frank laying one down. No one likes that idea.

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
trying something like hit and run or going the other way?

Two parts of successful baseball teams that the '03 squad was totally unfamiliar with. The problem with the power hitters was a complete disregard for going the other way and trying to pull everything.

You won't need a Frank Thomas to bunt if he sprays the ball to all fields like he used to.

bc2k
11-03-2003, 04:55 PM

Like Ozzie said, is hitting 30-40 home runs really a hitter's "strength?" He said men who hit 70 - like Bonds - are home run hitters.

Will the Sox benefit more from 9 hitters practicing getting on, over, and in, or 42 home runs that produce a whopping 105 rbi?

npdempse
11-03-2003, 04:59 PM
"Whether you win or lose, the beer tastes the same." [/B]

That's the one for me. And I do like the general attitude that he's backing this up with--"The rules are the rules." Whether they're winning or losing, sticking with a gameplan, sticking to a philosophy of having fun playing hard baseball, but recognizing that "Winning is more fun."

Hmm, sticking to a gameplan. As opposed to...TINKERING??

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 05:01 PM
Like Ozzie said, is hitting 30-40 home runs really a hitter's "strength?" He said men who hit 70 - like Bonds - are home run hitters.

Will the Sox benefit more from 9 hitters practicing getting on, over, and in, or 42 home runs that produce a whopping 105 rbi?

Since exactly 2 people have cracked the 70 HR barrier in the history of the game, it is the most ridiculous comment I have heard in a long time. I guess he'd have Sham-ME* bunting because he has never hit 70 HR in a season. Pure crap. A power hitter is a power hitter. Yes, you don't want to see guys take it to an extreme like Sham-ME*, but guys like Frank and Maggs should NOT be asked to bunt on a a regular basis.

I'd rather take the chance that Frank walks and moves the runner over that way.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
...Hmm, sticking to a gameplan. As opposed to...TINKERING??

Well obviously you don't know anything about baseball!

:jerry
"Hey, that's sounds like something I would say. Wait a minute... I did!"

jabrch
11-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Since exactly 2 people have cracked the 70 HR barrier in the history of the game, it is the most ridiculous comment I have heard in a long time. I guess he'd have Sham-ME* bunting because he has never hit 70 HR in a season. Pure crap. A power hitter is a power hitter. Yes, you don't want to see guys take it to an extreme like Sham-ME*, but guys like Frank and Maggs should NOT be asked to bunt on a a regular basis.

I doubt they will be bunting on a regular basis...geez, I don't recall seeing either of them do it, ever. But the mere threat that they might do it could move defenders in a little bit - thus opening some holes in the IF and cutting down the DPs for Mags.

I will be happy to see these guys go behind runners, go the other way, and even sacrifice every now and then. I don't think Ozzie is saying they will be called upon to do it too often.

Would there be anything more funny than watching Frank try and bunt for a base hit?

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I doubt they will be bunting on a regular basis...geez, I don't recall seeing either of them do it, ever. But the mere threat that they might do it could move defenders in a little bit - thus opening some holes in the IF and cutting down the DPs for Mags.

I will be happy to see these guys go behind runners, go the other way, and even sacrifice every now and then. I don't think Ozzie is saying they will be called upon to do it too often.

Would there be anything more funny than watching Frank try and bunt for a base hit?

No, teams are NOT going to move in the third baseman to cover bunt attempts from Frank. Not going to happen, period.

bc2k
11-03-2003, 05:11 PM

I think the fact that there are only two men who have broken the 70 mark is what illustrates Ozzie's common sense point. Those men alter the way defenses are positioned and the way they are pitched to. Thomas and Maggs aren't that kind of threat, and thus can offer more to THE TEAM by applying the get 'em on, over, and in strategy. And it's not just bunting Voodoo, it's hitting behind the runners, and walking like you mentioned.

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 05:12 PM

First of all, the whole discussion is moot anyway - the quote initially posted in this thread is out of context. Apparently, what Ozzie said was that if guys aren't doing their job by hitting behind runners, then he'll make them bunt. I'm all for that - even power hitters like Frank and Maggs should be looking to go to right field most of the time with guys on 1st and 2nd and no out.

But in any event, suggeting (if I'm understanding your point) that everyone in the history of the game except Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire should be dropping down bunts on a regular basis to move runners over is nuts. Giving away outs greatly reduces the chances of a big inning, particularly with your big bats coming up.

JasonC23
11-03-2003, 05:15 PM
One of the main reasons to bunt is to get a hitter better than the bunter to the plate with a better chance to drive in the runs. Please name the hitters on the Sox that are better than Frank and Magglio.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 05:15 PM
calling out a hall of famer at a press conference announcing a job you don't deserve is bush league.

poorme
11-03-2003, 05:19 PM
He didn't call anyone out.

longshot7
11-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
calling out a hall of famer at a press conference announcing a job you don't deserve is bush league.

I believe he was asked a direct question about Frank - that's not calling anyone out.

and I think we're blowing this bunt comment out of proportion. I think he just means we'll be aggressive and not wait for the 3-run homer. I doubt he'll handle Frank & Maggs any different than Pudge was handled.

cwsox
11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
That's trouble a-brewin'.

I feel that way too.

And any batter who takes ball 4 will be in trouble with Ozzie since Ozzie always swung at ball 4.

cwsox
11-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

yes, it is. Very bush.

luvsox56
11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
First of all, the whole discussion is moot anyway - the quote initially posted in this thread is out of context. Apparently, what Ozzie said was that if guys aren't doing their job by hitting behind runners, then he'll make them bunt. I'm all for that - even power hitters like Frank and Maggs should be looking to go to right field most of the time with guys on 1st and 2nd and no out.

Thank you. I was wondering if anyone else caught that. He did not say that having Maggs and Frank bunt was his game plan. He said that if they weren't doing their job, he didn't care who it was, they may have to bunt in that situation.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by luvsox56

Thank you. I was wondering if anyone else caught that. He did not say that having Maggs and Frank bunt was his game plan. He said that if they weren't doing their job, he didn't care who it was, they may have to bunt in that situation.

You're torturing the point. Nobody has suggested Ozzie expects Frank and Maggs to bunt whatever the occasion. However most of us heard him directly invoke their names as guys who need to bunt. He wasn't talking about small ball. He said *bunting* and there is a world of difference.

You're putting words into Ozzie's mouth that Ozzie never said. If he meant to say "small ball" he should have said so, not "bunt."

BTW, I just heard the actual audio of Ozzie's quote, and he definitely said Frank and Maggs need to *bunt* if they fail to move up runners.

He's nuts if he honestly meant what he said.

MarkEdward
11-03-2003, 05:41 PM

Frank's going to start hitting like a blind Rey Ordonez?

Tony Womack, Willie Bloomquist, Keith Lockhart... gotta start going after those grinders, Kenny. Can't win without players who do the little things and provide a veteran presence.

wsgdf
11-03-2003, 05:51 PM
[i]
BTW, I just heard the actual audio of Ozzie's quote, and he definitely said Frank and Maggs need to *bunt* if they fail to move up runners.

He's nuts if he honestly meant what he said. [/B]

Well, if Frank and Maggs are doing their jobs - hitting doubles, homers, getting on base, etc... then no problem.

If they're not - if they start the season batting .200 for a month and a half like Maggs and Konerko did and they hit into DP after DP - then it's about time someone changes their approach.

Deadguy
11-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I hope I am at the game to see Frank Thomas bunt. I, for one, will stand up and applaud. I think the crowd would go ape**** to see guys like Frank and Mags do things like that every now and then? Nobody wants them bunting for basehits, but in a tight game or looking for an insurance run, it is nice to be able to get the guy over.

I am not as upset with Ozzie as I would be if Manuel was kept - not that this is the right benchmark...

I'm sure I'll be doubled over with laughter the first time I see Frank or Magglio attempt to lay down a bunt.

It's a ridiculous thought, and I can't imagine why you'd sacrifice outs from your two big RBI guys, just because the guy behind him might have a chance to drive the runner on first in.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf
Well, if Frank and Maggs are doing their jobs - hitting doubles, homers, getting on base, etc... then no problem.

If they're not - if they start the season batting .200 for a month and a half like Maggs and Konerko did and they hit into DP after DP - then it's about time someone changes their approach.

If Frank and Maggs aren't doing their jobs, they need to be moved around in the order. They don't need to be told to bunt. That's what Ozzie said.

Personally, I think Guillen's comments were more aimed at Maggs and Konerko. They are the two obvious everyday players who had no clue in the situational hitting department -- not Frank Thomas.

:maggs :walnuts
"We're the double-play duo!"

:caballo
"Don't forget about me. Make it a trio!"

thezeker
11-03-2003, 06:15 PM
Personally, I think Guillen's comments were more aimed at Maggs and Konerko. They are the two obvious everyday players who had no clue in the situational hitting department -- not Frank Thomas.

Right on. I for one hope both Maggs and Konerko are gone before the season starts. They're both albatrosses for different reasons. Konerko for the kind of player he is & Maggs for a salary that will kill this team.

To me Ozzie is like a breath of fresh air to this organization. He brings far more positives than negatives. Anyone that things Ozzie will be a puppet for JR do not know Ozzie. He will never be anyone's puppet!!

batmanZoSo
11-03-2003, 06:17 PM
You can't have Frank bunting. Magglio maybe, but I don't think Frank has ever bunted in his life. And I'm dead serious.

With the big guys, you just gotta have them thinking right side with men in scoring position and 1 out. They have to just do what the situation calls for. That's sound baseball, not having Frank bunt.

Deadguy
11-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
You can't have Frank bunting. Magglio maybe, but I don't think Frank has ever bunted in his life. And I'm dead serious.

http://www.baseballreference.com/t/thomafr04.shtml

http://www.baseballreference.com/o/ordonma01.shtml

You're right. Frank has 0 career sacrifice hits, Magglio has 3.

Hondo
11-03-2003, 06:21 PM
I'm sure it's been said but Ozzie's point is that if these guys aren't going to hit and drive in runs then if it comes down to ANYONE bunting then that's what they'll do.

You know Maggs has been known to dissapear in big games with runners in scoring position. (See the Minnesota Debacle)

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy

Here's a sobering thought. Exactly how perfect would any bunt attempt by "slo-mo" Paul Konerko need to be to avoid a double-play?

RKMeibalane
11-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Here's a sobering thought. Exactly how perfect would any bunt attempt by "slo-mo" Paul Konerko need to be to avoid a double-play?

Konerko is so slow that the ball itself would probably out-run him. If Guillen honestly believes that he can convince Frank and Maggs to bunt, he's out of his mind.

Does anyone else hear that noise? It's the sound of the rest of Major League Baseball laughing at us.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

Deadguy
11-03-2003, 06:27 PM

Third baseman trips over a rock, stumbles back to his feet, grabs the ball, jogs back to the dugout, goes into the clubhouse, grabs a turkey sandwhich and a Fresca from the fridge, flips the tv to CNBC to check out how his stocks are doing, calls his girlfriend to see what she wants to do after the game, jogs back out onto the field, tosses the ball to 1B, and Konerko beats it out by a step.

RKMeibalane
11-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Third baseman trips over a rock, stumbles back to his feet, grabs the ball, jogs back to the dugout, goes into the clubhouse, grabs a turkey sandwhich and a Fresca from the fridge, flips the tv to CNBC to check out how his stocks are doing, calls his girlfriend to see what she wants to do after the game, jogs back out onto the field, tosses the ball to 1B, and Konerko beats it out by a step.

Paul Konerko is the slowest man on the planet. Remember the Anaheim game where Frank hit the walk-off home run? Konerko hit a ball towards the left side of the infield. Jared Washburn knocked it down, but stumbled. The ball was just sitting there for about two seconds. Washburn scrambled off the mound, picked the ball up, threw it to first... and Konerko was out by THREE STEPS!

:walnuts

"I'm the slowest human being alive."

:ohno

"We know. In the time it takes you to run from the home to first, most people see their children have kids of their own."

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 06:52 PM
You're torturing the point. Nobody has suggested Ozzie expects Frank and Maggs to bunt whatever the occasion. However most of us heard him directly invoke their names as guys who need to bunt. He wasn't talking about small ball. He said *bunting* and there is a world of difference.

You're putting words into Ozzie's mouth that Ozzie never said. If he meant to say "small ball" he should have said so, not "bunt."

He's nuts if he honestly meant what he said.

I agree, he said they need to bunt if they fail to move up runners. But I don't think you're grasping the context and the point he was trying to make. The point he was trying to make is that the team is going to play the "right" way - and if they don't listen, he'll force the issue. In other words, if Frank and Maggs continually come up in situations where hitting to the right side is the obvious call, and instead they try to pull outside pitches and ground into double plays, he'll make them bunt. I don't think he was saying they have to be able to bunt, period. He's saying if they don't do their job, he'll take matters into his own hands. And the point isn't that those guys should be bunting in the first place, its that if they don't do what they're supposed to do, there will be consequences as a means to teach them a lesson. That's what I took him to mean - it woudln't be as a strategic move, it would be a means of getting them to do what they're supposed to do - i.e., try to hit to the right side when the situation calls for it.

poorme
11-03-2003, 06:56 PM
I agree, he said they need to bunt if they fail to move up runners. But I don't think you're grasping the context and the point he was trying to make. The point he was trying to make is that the team is going to play the "right" way - and if they don't listen, he'll force the issue. In other words, if Frank and Maggs continually come up in situations where hitting to the right side is the obvious call, and instead they try to pull outside pitches and ground into double plays, he'll make them bunt. I don't think he was saying they have to be able to bunt, period. He's saying if they don't do their job, he'll take matters into his own hands. And the point isn't that those guys should be bunting in the first place, its that if they don't do what they're supposed to do, there will be consequences as a means to teach them a lesson. That's what I took him to mean - it woudln't be as a strategic move, it would be a means of getting them to do what they're supposed to do - i.e., try to hit to the right side when the situation calls for it.

That's what I heard, but you're wasting your time trying to explain to people who don't want to listen.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by poorme
That's what I heard, but you're wasting your time trying to explain to people who don't want to listen.

Oh for crying out loud, if Ozzie didn't mean "bunt" then he shouldn't use the word "bunt." Keep right on spinning what he meant. This is starting to get amusing.

Daver
11-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Oh for crying out loud, if Ozzie didn't mean "bunt" then he shouldn't use the word "bunt." Keep right on spinning what he meant. This is starting to get amusing.

:gallas

White Sox Baseball,the Kids can Bunt.

JRIG
11-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Frank's going to start hitting like a blind Rey Ordonez?

Tony Womack, Willie Bloomquist, Keith Lockhart... gotta start going after those grinders, Kenny. Can't win without players who do the little things and provide a veteran presence.

LOL!

What's Craig Paquette doing these days?

JRIG
11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
I didn't hear the press conference (unfortunately I was at one of my own), but reading these quotes doesn't make me any happier about the hire.

They sound like what Manuel said the day he was hired. "NL style ball" "bunting"

If this team starts play "Dusty-ball" and bunting in the first inning, we're dead in the water.

fquaye149
11-03-2003, 07:38 PM
What does corpseball have to do with having the teams best hitters bunt instead of trying something like hit and run or going the other way?

magglio grounding into a shootload of dps w/ risp has a lot to do w/ corpseball...

i don't think ozzie would say he wants maggs or frank to bunt a lot.

but i think anyone can see that in certain situations, everyone on the team could in good conscience be called upon to bunt....

and for all the people who act like frank, maggs, and konerko couldn't bunt if they tried...

come on...they've never worked on it before(not like it would have been a priority)...it's not that hard to learn how to bunt... some moderate offseason work... when you look at how bad our bunting form was last year(players stabbing at the ball)...it shows it's not a "bunting talent" problem, rather a "bunting fundamentals problem"

jeremyb1
11-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I didn't hear the press conference (unfortunately I was at one of my own), but reading these quotes doesn't make me any happier about the hire.

They sound like what Manuel said the day he was hired. "NL style ball" "bunting"

If this team starts play "Dusty-ball" and bunting in the first inning, we're dead in the water.

I for one hate the idea of small ball, its been proven not to work. Bunting is counterproductive and so is stealing if you can't do it at an 80% clip which few can. However, the fact that we've hired a manager intent on playing "national league ball" is a reflection of our organization not just the manager. Clearly our organization is not progressive enough to abandon the notion that managers win games by playing small ball. All managers want to play small ball because they have a greater influence on the game and can take a greater share of credit for their team's success. Additionally, most fans and analysts also support small ball so in this way the manager can gain support from fans and commentators. Any manager we were going to hire was going to bunt more than he should. That's not Ozzie's fault. If he didn't come in spouting that type of rhetoric he wouldn't have gotten the job.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
....Any manager we were going to hire was going to bunt more than he should. That's not Ozzie's fault. If he didn't come in spouting that type of rhetoric he wouldn't have gotten the job.

Great point. I couldn't agree more. The fact we hired a manager spouting this sort of silliness is not Ozzie Guillen's fault.

If you wonder why Jerry Reinsdorf hasn't made good on his stated wish to trade his six Bulls championships for just one with the Sox, look no further. His organization is completely screwed up, starting at the top.

If Ozzie honestly believes the Marlins bunted their way to a world championship, we are in for some serious trouble.

crector
11-03-2003, 09:07 PM

If you wonder why Jerry Reinsdorf hasn't made good on his stated wish to trade his six Bulls championships for just one with the Sox, look no further. His organization is completely screwed up, starting at the top.

The simple fact is that Reinsdorf only cared for NBA championships, not baseball success. He made sure that the Bulls had the necessary payroll and quality players/coaches needed for victory. All he sees in the White Sox is a fountain of cash for both his personal use and for the Bulls.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2003, 09:08 PM
On the question of "to bunt or not to bunt" and people laughing at the idea of guys like Franks and Maggs occasionally bunting, I can only reply that in 1990 such slow footed, dead ass runners like Fisk, Calederon and Ron Karkovice consistently laid down bunt after bunt for hits and scored runners at a decent clip (i.e. squeeze bunts).

That 'small ball" got the Sox 94 wins with the team leader in home runs at 18 and the team leader in RBI's at 75.

I'd take my chances on 94 wins getting the Sox in the playoffs wouldn't you?

I think some folks are overreacting to this bunt comment. But personally I see nothing wrong with Frank and Maggs and Carlos and even Sandy Alomar dropping one down occasionally. If those lard buts in 90 could do it these guys can.

The Sox couldn't win a division bashing out 220 home runs. The Twins did while hitting a hell of a lot less of them. Time to try something else in an effort to score more runs on a consistent basis.

Lip

Iguana775
11-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Uh-oh...

Well, I guess that means Hose is gone. lol.

RedPinStripes
11-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
On the question of "to bunt or not to bunt" and people laughing at the idea of guys like Franks and Maggs occasionally bunting, I can only reply that in 1990 such slow footed, dead ass runners like Fisk, Calederon and Ron Karkovice consistently laid down bunt after bunt for hits and scored runners at a decent clip (i.e. squeeze bunts).

That 'small ball" got the Sox 94 wins with the team leader in home runs at 18 and the team leader in RBI's at 75.

I think some folks are overreacting to this bunt comment. But personally I see nothing wrong with Frank and Maggs and Carlos and even Sandy Alomar dropping one down occasionally. If those lard buts in 90 could do it these guys can.

The Sox couldn't win a division bashing out 220 home runs. The Twins did while hitting a hell of a lot less of them. Time to try something else in an effort to score more runs on a consistent basis.

Lip

Next to the 83 Sox, the 90 Sox are my favorite team. speed pitching and defense. And since 91, they've been trying to build nothing but a powerhouse team. I hope this is the first step in figuring out that doesnt work.

GoSox2K3
11-03-2003, 09:44 PM
"We will play National League ball..."

I haven't explained to Ozzie yet what "small ball" means on the South Side. It means small market ball. Bwuhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Deadguy
11-03-2003, 09:52 PM

Actually, I take that back. I do remember one time in September of 1993, when Thomas injured his shoulder, he actually did attempt to lay down a bunt, and it was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

I remember Hawk and Wimpy laughing about it for a few minutes.

jeremyb1
11-03-2003, 11:14 PM

Saying a team that won small ball won 94 games and hence they won 94 games because they played small ball isn't good reasoning in my opinion.

MisterB
11-04-2003, 12:03 AM

Lip

The Sox won those 94 games because of pitching: the Sox offense was average at best. Actually, that year was similar to this one in that we had good pitching and a mediocre offense. Ths only difference is we won close games that season whereas we tended to lose them this season. Mediocre offense is still mediocre whether it comes from small ball or long ball.

P.S. - Regarding the 'small ball' Marlins: their 3-4-5 hitters (I Rod, Lee and Lowell) combined for ONE sacrifice hit this season.

JRIG
11-04-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
The Sox won those 94 games because of pitching: the Sox offense was average at best. Actually, that year was similar to this one in that we had good pitching and a mediocre offense. Ths only difference is we won close games that season whereas we tended to lose them this season. Mediocre offense is still mediocre whether it comes from small ball or long ball.

P.S. - Regarding the 'small ball' Marlins: their 3-4-5 hitters (I Rod, Lee and Lowell) combined for ONE sacrifice hit this season.

I've said this before, but after Pierre and Castillo, you have a lot of guys who hit doubles and HRs in the Marlins lineup -- I-Rod, Lee, Lowell, Encarnacion, Cabrera, Conine...

TommyJohn
11-04-2003, 12:42 AM

Uh-oh...

Well, I hope this satisfies those who were afraid we'd get
stuck with Jerry Manuel II. It appears the new manager is
Terry Bevington II.

TommyJohn
11-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Ozzie said that when describing men on first and second base. He expects that "home run" hitter to move them over, not go for the three run bomb. I love it. Ozzie's right, 30-40 home runs in a season is not a home run hitter.

"Whether you win or lose, the beer tastes the same."

You are kidding, right? I mean, this IS some kind of joke, right?
If you got a guy who can drive in three with one swing, or even
two, why the HELL would you want him to "move the runners
over?" Is a lineup not supposed to have ANY boppers at all?
That is just jaw-droppingly assinine.

TommyJohn
11-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Nothing was wackier than the Terry Bevington introductory press conference:

"I'm confident, and the reason I'm confident is because I'm very confident."

I think that Bevington was a moron, and the reason I think he
was a moron is because he was a moron.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2003, 01:45 AM
Jeremy:

Then how do you explain 94 wins with a mediocre offense? and how do you explain the fact that the power hitting Sox with all those bashers had two winning seasons since 2001 with zero playoff appreances?

No disrespect intended Jeremy but I just think if what happens doesn't find into your methodical, logical, sabermetrical world you feel it isn't worth dung and automatically dismiss it.

The A's haven't won squat in the playoffs based on their sabermetrical approach, the Red Sox stat geeks approach
to a bullpen by committee blew up in their faces and they could have some difficulty hiring a good manager because they may not be able to find someone who can get along with the "stat approach by committee" from John Henry on down. Those are facts Jeremy, you can't dismiss them or say they don't exist because they don't jive with your view of the world.

Personally I think this quote was the best. it's from the "Official" White Sox web site: " I have no problem with Frank as long as he plays the game right. When he does stuff on the field to disrespect the team, he's not respecting himself. If he hits a fly ball and doesn't run the bases, Frank won't get another at-bat.

I know he singled out Frank's name but I think this will apply to everyone. I find it hard to believe that any fan can find fault with that.

Lip

WSPav
11-04-2003, 01:49 AM
"My English is bad, yours is worse." - Ozzie

commenting about Ramon Garcia inquiring about the pitching coach position. Good stuff!

bc2k
11-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
You are kidding, right? I mean, this IS some kind of joke, right?

Black type is the color of sarcasm, right?

jabrch
11-04-2003, 04:18 PM
He didn't say they'd be bunting all the time. He didn't say that every time we had men on and those guys up that he'd be moving runners over. He only said that we will be doing it and that guys need to be versatile enough to do it.

Geez... People are waiting for a reason to pounce on Ozzie. Lets let him show us what he has before blasting him over one lousy press conference.