Welcome Home!

Iwritecode
11-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Let me be the first to use the line...

The Ozzman cometh.

:D:

kingpin_rcs
11-03-2003, 04:21 PM
No doubt, Ozzie is a complete 180 degree difference in personality then JM. I think he will bring a ton of energy and sprit to the clubhouse. I think he will light a few fires under some butts.

My favorite quote:
"Give me a bad player that wants to win rather than a good play that doesn't care"

A big question mark for me (and good first test for Ozzie) is how will #35 respond to the Ozz man.

The_Floridian
11-03-2003, 04:28 PM
I gotta be honest, I thought Cito was the better choice. But I like Ozzie, and I remain optimistic about next year.

Just hope he knows how to manage a pitching staff better than JM.

npdempse
11-03-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
A big question mark for me (and good first test for Ozzie) is how will #35 respond to the Ozz man.

This could be scary. He sounds like he will take no BS from Frank whatsoever. Good on paper, but you can't just treat a veteran superstar like a rookie. He also said he was going to make Frank bunt. I'd like to see that happen.

ondafarm
11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
I believe my mother could handle a pitching staff better than JM. And don't knock my mom, she taught me how to bunt (when my dad was pitching no less.)

washington
11-03-2003, 04:40 PM
"Give me a bad player that wants to win rather than a good player that doesn't care"

Sounds like a rallying cry for the Sox to go cheap this offseason. Maybe their advertising slogan next year, the next generation of "The Kids Can Play"

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 04:44 PM
No doubt, Ozzie is a complete 180 degree difference in personality then JM. I think he will bring a ton of energy and sprit to the clubhouse. I think he will light a few fires under some butts.

My favorite quote:
"Give me a bad player that wants to win rather than a good play that doesn't care"

How about good players that want to win...

I have to admit that I am getting tired of managers making Frank their personl mission. Why not get on the case of some of these guys who cannot do what Frank does and leave Frank alone and let him hit?!?!??!??

Can you imagine someone calling Barry Bonds out when getting hired by the Giants?

Foulke You
11-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
How about good players that want to win...

I have to admit that I am getting tired of managers making Frank their personl mission. Why not get on the case of some of these guys who cannot do what Frank does and leave Frank alone and let him hit?!?!??!??

Can you imagine someone calling Barry Bonds out when getting hired by the Giants?

I think it is more of a personal vendetta of the media against Frank than it is a personal mission of the new managers. The media makes such a huge deal about every little thing that Frank does that he is somehow viewed as a problem and the questions get thrust in the new manager candidate's face. What exactly did Frank do last year that hurt the team that it warrants special attention from Ozzie? Nothing. But media maggots like Mariotti and Slezak will still have you believe that Thomas is a pouting, selfish, clubhouse cancer that the Sox would be best to get rid of.

ondafarm
11-03-2003, 05:00 PM
I agree with you that barry Bonds would not get called out if the Giants went to a new manager. On the other hand, even though Frank Thomas is the dominant hitter on the White Sox, he should be innurred to this treatment. Great players are aware they are special and receive special attention when a team's inadequacies are addressed. Great players also can put slights out of their mind and realize sometimes everybody needs to be critisized and can always improve. I once saw Walter Payton lifting weights. The guy (trainer type) with him was ribbing him about other guys doing more reps or heavier weights. Walter just smiled with each swipe. Then he seemed to redouble his efforts and pushed himself harder. I asked the trainer about it later and he said that walter just seemed to need it once in awhile. It made him better. Frank and Walter are very different guys, but I think Frank also realizes he's not perfect and even the most dominant hitter on a team can do more. Will he bunt? I hope so. I also hope Ozzie doesn't call on him too often to do it.