PDA

View Full Version : The Score is Reporting it is OZZ


Hangar18
11-03-2003, 01:18 PM
man, this is exciting

Hangar18
11-03-2003, 01:19 PM
George Oftman said he confirmed this.....

steff
11-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
man, this is exciting


Yep.. sooooo exciting that someone with NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE might be our new manager.

Oooooo.. I'm so excited I'm going to puke.

steff
11-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
George Oftman said he confirmed this.....



Well then.. that makes it true.

ChiSoxBobette
11-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by steff
Yep.. sooooo exciting that someone with NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE might be our new manager.

Oooooo.. I'm so excited I'm going to puke.

He can't(I hope) do any worse than what we had as manager.

BeerHandle
11-03-2003, 01:22 PM
After reading Roberto Alomar's comments about both candidates I'm not concerned with who gets the job. I'm more concerned with who will be our starting rotation!

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by steff
Yep.. sooooo exciting that someone with NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE might be our new manager.

Oooooo.. I'm so excited I'm going to puke.

Ozzie will be another in a long line of White Sox managers hired under JR that get their managerial training with the White Sox.

But Cito never excited me. I'll hold back judgment until I see what results Ozzie gets as manager.

Hangar18
11-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Steff, I personally wouldve liked a HICaliber manager with
experience to run this team, someone with some energy....
we blew it by not getting someone last year, but i think
Tony Pena opened the door for guys without Experience....
overall, if it was going to be someone with NO EXPERIENCE,
I would Choose Ozzie

steff
11-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
He can't(I hope) do any worse than what we had as manager.


LOL... keep this thread handy for the '04 season.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 01:24 PM
This is a bigger mistake then Terry Bevington.

steff
11-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Steff, I personally wouldve liked a HICaliber manager with
experience to run this team, someone with some energy....
we blew it by not getting someone last year, but i think
Tony Pena opened the door for guys without Experience....
overall, if it was going to be someone with NO EXPERIENCE,
I would Choose Ozzie


How about someone with SOME experience. ..?

Geez.. if they wanted another puppet I could have helped them out for a LOT less $$.

Ozzie's name isn't going to bring crap to this team.. and his skill will bring even less.

steff
11-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
This is a bigger mistake then Terry Bevington.


Oh yes.. it sure is.

Mark my words folks... this will be a HUGE disaster. Huge!

BeerHandle
11-03-2003, 01:27 PM
ESPN Radio just confirmed it was Ozzie.

FarmerAndy
11-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by steff
LOL... keep this thread handy for the '04 season.

Well, if we do worse in '04 than we did under Manuel in '03 it might not be Ozzie's fault.

If the White Sox don't pony up some cash to put talent on the field, we're gonna suck no matter who the manager is.


I'm not thrilled about Ozzie, but I wasn't thrilled about any of the candidates. I believe next season will be determined by what Williams does in the off-season, in terms of player personel.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 01:32 PM
I sure hope the 3 years aren't all guaranteed. I have a feeling a new search will be on a year from now.

minastirith67
11-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by steff
Oh yes.. it sure is.

Mark my words folks... this will be a HUGE disaster. Huge!


How are you all so sure of this when he hasn't even been given a chance yet!!! This is his first time so give him some slack...this is Ozzie Guillen, for Christ's sake, it's difficult to get any more "White Sox" than that!

DrCrawdad
11-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by steff
Yep.. sooooo exciting that someone with NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE might be our new manager.

Oooooo.. I'm so excited I'm going to puke.

Steff,

While the hire of Ozzie certainly has the possibility to be bad, Cito could have been very bad too. In fact I think Cito would have been a bad Jerry Manuel-like manager, but Cito would have been a PR nightmare as well.

Don't forget too that the demi-god Dusty Baker was hired by the Giants with no managing experience. The Giants went on to win 103 games in Dusty's first year.

thepaulbowski
11-03-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm still holding out hope Willie Randolph will get hired!

steff
11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Steff,

While the hire of Ozzie certainly has the possibility to be bad, Cito could have been very bad too. In fact I think Cito would have been a bad Jerry Manuel-like manager, but Cito would have been a PR nightmare as well.

Don't forget too that the demi-god Dusty Baker was hired by the Giants with no managing experience. The Giants went on to win 103 games the year Dusty was hired.


Take a look at the product on the field. This decision, if true - because I am still holding out hope that it isn't - is all about Ozzie not caring about who plays for him. He'll be "the boss" now. IMO, that's all he cares about. And he'll work for cheap, which is all JR cares about.

steff
11-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
How are you all so sure of this when he hasn't even been given a chance yet!!! This is his first time so give him some slack...this is Ozzie Guillen, for Christ's sake, it's difficult to get any more "White Sox" than that!

Just a gut feeling. Just a feeling from spending a lot of time with the team over the 97, 98, and 99 seasons. And some opinion of former players as well.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 01:36 PM
A lot of people now celebrating the hire of Ozzie, were the same people who said the Sox should not hire anyone with no experience. Ozzie has already stated the Sox don't need the fans, he was quoted in the paper today as saying he usually played hard, he basically has said he bleeds White Sox, which is BS, because he said he would only take the manager position or go back to the Marlins. Ozzie + Frank= Huge trouble. I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like a 50 car pile up.

anewman35
11-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by steff
Take a look at the product on the field. This decision, if true - because I am still holding out hope that it isn't - is all about Ozzie not caring about who plays for him. He'll be "the boss" now. IMO, that's all he cares about. And he'll work for cheap, which is all JR cares about.

Ok, let's assume that Ozzie doesn't care about who plays for him. Fine, But why are you assuming KW won't care? It's KW who signs the players, not Ozzie...

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 01:37 PM
I think Ozzie will do a good job of getting the players motivated. I have no idea if he'll be able to manage a bullpen or make good strategical decisions during the course of a game. I will reserve judgment, but I'm leery.

steff
11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Ok, let's assume that Ozzie doesn't care about who plays for him. Fine, But why are you assuming KW won't care? It's KW who signs the players, not Ozzie...


ROTFLMAO!!!! Since when did Kenny start signing paychecks?

steff
11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
A lot of people now celebrating the hire of Ozzie, were the same people who said the Sox should not hire anyone with no experience. Ozzie has already stated the Sox don't need the fans, he was quoted in the paper today as saying he usually played hard, he basically has said he bleeds White Sox, which is BS, because he said he would only take the manager position or go back to the Marlins. Ozzie + Frank= Huge trouble. I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like a 50 car pile up.


Oh.. you're not alone. Not at all.

poorme
11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think Ozzie will do a good job of getting the players motivated.

Without a doubt, that is the most important part of the job. The bench coach can tell him when to take out the pitcher.

anewman35
11-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by steff
ROTFLMAO!!!! Since when did Kenny start signing paychecks?

You know what I mean. Fine, it's KW and JR who sign the players, not Ozzie. It's Ozzie's job to manage them, not to worry about who he has and who he doesn't.

xil357
11-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think Ozzie will do a good job of getting the players motivated. I have no idea if he'll be able to manage a bullpen or make good strategical decisions during the course of a game. I will reserve judgment, but I'm leery.

I thought Coop would be able to handle the pitchers. And don't (mis?)underestimate the importance of Nossek as bench coach.

How about Dibber for the 3rd base coach opening?

Rocky Soprano
11-03-2003, 01:40 PM
I cant believe so many people are ready to just give up!

What if Ozzie does a hell of a job? What if we would of gotten the best candidate possible and the team still choked? What then?

I for one rather piss and moan about our owner not wanting to spend more money.

Ozzie is a Sox at heart and is going to light a fire under the team and thats what we need.

I for one would applaud the move and support him.

Now only if we went out and spent some money...

Lets Go Sox!

SpringfldFan
11-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Would Ozzie replace Buehrle with Neal Cotts late in the season in Yankee stadium during a heated pennant race?

That question is about enough for me...

steff
11-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
You know what I mean. Fine, it's KW and JR who sign the players, not Ozzie. It's Ozzie's job to manage them, not to worry about who he has and who he doesn't.


C'mon.. that's like taking a job at a company who's about to close their doors.

Why bother to improve when someone is willing to take the job and use the crap already there?

steff
11-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Now only if we went out and spent some money...

Lets Go Sox!


This must be done. And it won't be.

Rocky Soprano
11-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by steff
This must be done. And it won't be.


But thats not Guillen's fault. So why bash him so soon. Why not hope for the best and support him?

I agree, I dont think that the team will go out and spend the money that we need to but thats JR's fault and only his. Im sure Kenny would love to be able to field a 80MM team but as you said, he doesnt sign the checks.

THE_HOOTER
11-03-2003, 01:47 PM
If you feel this negatively about the Sox, then why don't you go cheer for the Cubbies!

Good grief, why bother being a fan if everything sucks in your eyes?

Frank the Tank
11-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Maybe Ozzie wouldn't be the most qualified manager based solely on experience, but he is just what this organization needs. Cito Gaston has more managing experience, but he is NOT the answer either. In fact, he is so dull that he might just be a clone of Jerry Manuel. Ozzie was, and still is a fan favorite. He might not be the "most qualified", but he will bring fire to the clubhouse. He will excite Sox Fans. He will motivate people to come back to the Cell and support the sox. He is just what the sox need.

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Maybe Ozzie wouldn't be the most qualified manager based solely on experience, but he is just what this organization needs. Cito Gaston has more managing experience, but he is NOT the answer either. In fact, he is so dull that he might just be a clone of Jerry Manuel. Ozzie was, and still is a fan favorite. He might not be the "most qualified", but he will bring fire to the clubhouse. He will excite Sox Fans. He will motivate people to come back to the Cell and support the sox. He is just what the sox need.

Hey, welcome aboard! :D:

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 01:53 PM
Does it concern anyone who thinks Ozzie is a perfect candidate, that he hasn't ever been considered for any other managerial opening? This could be Reinsdorf's call, and may be Kenny Williams' out.

MarqSox
11-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by steff
Yep.. sooooo exciting that someone with NO MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE might be our new manager.

Oooooo.. I'm so excited I'm going to puke.
Bob Brenley had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 1st year.

Mike Scioscia had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 3rd year.

Tony Pena had no managerial experience, and he took a bad KC team to an 83-win season his first year.

Managerial experience is not a direct indicator of future success. I'm excited about Ozzie.

MarqSox
11-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Does it concern anyone who thinks Ozzie is a perfect candidate, that he hasn't ever been considered for any other managerial opening? This could be Reinsdorf's call, and may be Kenny Williams' out.
No, doesn't concern me. No other team wanted Esteban Loaiza this offseason either, and that turned out OK. The Sox have their own talent evaluators, they shouldn't rely on the evaluations of other teams.

vegyrex
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
But thats not Guillen's fault. So why bash him so soon. Why not hope for the best and support him?



Because this is a clear sign the Sox brain (dead) trust are not interested in winning.
If they were, they would have hired a real manager.

This news is just awful. :(:

crector
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Would Ozzie replace Buehrle with Neal Cotts late in the season in Yankee stadium during a heated pennant race?

That question is about enough for me...

Based on what I've heard over the years about Ozzie and his intelligence, or rather the lack of it, he probably would have done what JM did under the same circumstances.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
No, doesn't concern me. No other team wanted Esteban Loaiza this offseason either, and that turned out OK. The Sox have their own talent evaluators, they shouldn't rely on the evaluations of other teams.

Based on the Sox "talent evaluators" track record, I'd rather rely on other teams evaluations.

Frank the Tank
11-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Let's face it. The chances of the sox winning the series aren't that great whoever the manager is. Can anybody honestly say Cito Gaston will win the World Series? I'm not saying the sox suck, but a lot of things have to go right for the sox to win it all. At least with Ozzie the fans will be happy. That means a lot coming from an organization that spit on the fans so much in the past decade. A manager is very important to a ball club, but the players win championships.

Dadawg_77
11-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Maybe Ozzie wouldn't be the most qualified manager based solely on experience, but he is just what this organization needs. Cito Gaston has more managing experience, but he is NOT the answer either. In fact, he is so dull that he might just be a clone of Jerry Manuel. Ozzie was, and still is a fan favorite. He might not be the "most qualified", but he will bring fire to the clubhouse. He will excite Sox Fans. He will motivate people to come back to the Cell and support the sox. He is just what the sox need.


WE'RE GOING STREAKING TO THE QUAD.

Kilroy
11-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Ahhhh Sox fans. You can always count on us to hate SOMETHING.

Hokiesox
11-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think Ozzie will do a good job of getting the players motivated. I have no idea if he'll be able to manage a bullpen or make good strategical decisions during the course of a game. I will reserve judgment, but I'm leery.

My bad. Strategical is a word

Is Crimson the color for "I'm a dumbass?"

poorme
11-03-2003, 02:03 PM
There's nothing more annoying than the grammar police.

Rocky Soprano
11-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Because this is a clear sign the Sox brain (dead) trust are not interested in winning.
If they were, they would have hired a real manager.

This news is just awful. :(:

A real manager like who?

I cant believe some of you are such whinners. Go cheer for the Flubs, they have the beat manager in the world and the best players, and they have little Darren!

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by poorme
There's nothing more annoying than the grammar police.

I soooo agree with this comment. What is with the recent surge in nitpicking spelling and grammar?

Lip Man 1
11-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Neither Cito nor Ozzie would have been my choice however since the Sox were nor (or could not) go out and get a LaRussa, a Piniella, a Baker etc. and they had decided on a limited group of candidates, I'd have to say Ozzie should get the shot.

At least he looks like he gives a damn about the Sox which I don't know if I could say the same about Gaston.

Lip

DrCrawdad
11-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Bob Brenley had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 1st year.

Mike Scioscia had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 3rd year.

Tony Pena had no managerial experience, and he took a bad KC team to an 83-win season his first year.

Managerial experience is not a direct indicator of future success. I'm excited about Ozzie.

Don't forget Dusty The Demigod Baker who was hired with no managing experience and presided over a Giants team that won 103 games.

I heard a baseball person on the SCORE talking about the need for managerial experience then he started naming guys who've taken over with no managerial experience and done well. Then the guy backed off managing experience as absolutely necessary.

Kilroy
11-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Bob Brenley had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 1st year.

Mike Scioscia had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 3rd year.

Tony Pena had no managerial experience, and he took a bad KC team to an 83-win season his first year.

Managerial experience is not a direct indicator of future success. I'm excited about Ozzie.

Well, the last 3 Sox managers (Ozzie included) have all been 1st time managers. I originally thought that Ozzie wasn't right for the Sox right now, but its points like these that remind you that none of that crap really matters all that much.

DrCrawdad
11-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Neither Cito nor Ozzie would have been my choice however since the Sox were nor (or could not) go out and get a LaRussa, a Piniella, a Baker etc. and they had decided on a limited group of candidates, I'd have to say Ozzie should get the shot.

At least he looks like he gives a damn about the Sox which I don't know if I could say the same about Gaston.

Lip

HERE, HERE!

Frank the Tank
11-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Which is more over-rated:

Dusty Baker or Wrigley Field?

pudge
11-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Bob Brenley had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 1st year.

Mike Scioscia had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 3rd year.

Tony Pena had no managerial experience, and he took a bad KC team to an 83-win season his first year.

Managerial experience is not a direct indicator of future success. I'm excited about Ozzie.

This is the best post of this thread.... yeah, yeah, we know the Sox are cheap, what else is new? If they had to go with the cheap option, I think Ozzie is a good choice... if anything, it will make the season quite interesting, whether it's a train wreck or a success. It makes me want to watch much more than Cito Gaston would...

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Mariotti endorses Ozzie, that's scary.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Of course the first time he screws up, he'll wonder why the Sox ever hired him.

Hondo
11-03-2003, 02:24 PM
IMHO. I"ll take Ozzie over Fergosi or any other retread. I'll take enthusiasm over quiet stoicism.

Last year's team didn't have fun. Plain and simple. It was like the Bataan death march at the end of the year. This team had too much talent to flop. When it comes down to it the team that enjoys each other and the game more will do better.

Ozzie may be a bit kooky but baseball has embraced characters forever. That doesn't limit him in terms of being a good manager.

For everyone who is bitching and complaining about Ozzie I pose this question

If not Ozzie then who?
I want a name.

Irishsox1
11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Yes, Bob Brenley, Mike Scioscia, Tony Pena and Joe Torre have had a lot of success, however they were all catchers. Catchers often make the best managers. If the White Sox actually hire Ozzie, which I'm still holding out that they won't, the White Sox hired a weak hitting yahoo shortstop who will run the pitching staff into the ground. Does anyone honstly believe that Ozzie is going to get the pitching staff in order? As for his firery personality, after 100 games with this knot head, the team will turn its back on him and the Sox will go into a massive tail spin. This is the worst decision the White Sox have made since Bevington. Not only will this decison get Ozzie fired, but Kenny will get tossed also. My prediction for the White Sox next year 64 wins and 98 losses.

longshot7
11-03-2003, 02:32 PM
I think Ozzie's the best choice of the characters we've heard mentioned as yet. Better to have too much passion than none at all. It'll be nice to see #13 back out there. I do wonder tho - how long it'll be before he sticks his foot in his mouth? At least he won't be boring.


and whoever sniped about strategical - you're wrong. there was nothing wrong with his sentence. luv, the real grammar police.

anewman35
11-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
My prediction for the White Sox next year 64 wins and 98 losses.

Want to make a bet on that? I could use some easy cash...

batmanZoSo
11-03-2003, 02:35 PM
hondo,

Jeff Torborg had fantastic things to say about Guillen. It wasn't just the usual say-the-right-thing crap you get from former coworkers, it was really high praise. He thinks Ozzie might be the next great manager, so we'll see.

They could've done a lot worse than this I think. I applaud them for narrowing it down to the two best candidates out there for this job...I always figured either one would be a good fit. Now that Ozzie has the job, we just hope it works out. At least we went with a polar opposite, which is usually the best formula for turning things around. The only cause for alarm is how he and Thomas will get along.

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2003, 02:36 PM
The only person I really wanted for the job was Willie Randolph. The more I heard from Gaston the less I liked him. Since no candidate moved me either way I will give this one a big SO WHAT.

Of course this means that we will have to cut Ozzie a break for at least a year as he learns the position. I did the same for Manuel. Funny how some people don't seem to learn more as they accumulate more experience.

Paulwny
11-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I'm still holding out hope Willie Randolph will get hired!

So was I until I saw this in NEWSDAY:

Randolph is expected to be promoted to replace the departed Don Zimmer, putting him in prime position, literally and figuratively, to be the next Yankees manager should Torre leave after his contract ends next season

maurice
11-03-2003, 02:42 PM
ESPN.com report (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1652981)

soxnut
11-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Bob Brenley had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 1st year.

Mike Scioscia had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 3rd year.

Tony Pena had no managerial experience, and he took a bad KC team to an 83-win season his first year.

Managerial experience is not a direct indicator of future success. I'm excited about Ozzie.


Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Ozzie! Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soxnut
11-03-2003, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irishsox1
[B]Yes, Bob Brenley, Mike Scioscia, Tony Pena and Joe Torre have had a lot of success, however they were all catchers. Catchers often make the best managers. If the White Sox actually hire Ozzie, which I'm still holding out that they won't, the White Sox hired a weak hitting yahoo shortstop who will run the pitching staff into the ground. Does anyone honstly believe that Ozzie is going to get the pitching staff in order?



I'm tired of all the talk about getting the pitching staff in order. Do all of you know how to do it? If you say no, then you don't know what you are talking about anyway, and if you do...then I think Ozzie can too........btw he does have EXPERIENCED coaches on this team for all that blah blah blah that people seem to need to account for............ :cool:

steff
11-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
If you feel this negatively about the Sox, then why don't you go cheer for the Cubbies!

Good grief, why bother being a fan if everything sucks in your eyes?

Everything doesn't suck in my eyes. Fine me ONE post in the past where I have crapped on this team. Go on... I'll sit here and wait.

soxnut
11-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Ahhhh Sox fans. You can always count on us to hate SOMETHING.

You know, that's why I think sometimes the fans get what they deserve. I mean, who actually wants to deal with a Sox fan.....unless you're one of the ones who aren't like that(which includes me) :smile:

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
You know, that's why I think sometimes the fans get what they deserve. I mean, who actually wants to deal with a Sox fan.....unless you're one of the ones who aren't like that(which includes me) :smile:

Why is that? Because some people passionately disagree with this hiring? The same passion many are saying Ozzie alledgedly has? No matter who was hired, some people weren't going to like it, and to rip them because they don't agree with you is wrong. Ozzie talks a lot, and said many of the things the fans want to hear, while all the other candidates respected the White Sox wishes and kept their mouths shut. Whether he backs up what he said, has grown up since he was here last, and shows leadership is the million dollar question.

longshot7
11-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
You know, that's why I think sometimes the fans get what they deserve. I mean, who actually wants to deal with a Sox fan.....unless you're one of the ones who aren't like that(which includes me) :smile:

we're chicago fans - would you expect any different?

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2003, 03:24 PM
btw he does have EXPERIENCED coaches on this team for all that blah blah blah that people seem to need to account for............

And so did Jerry Manuel. This lead me to the point that if Nossek is such a good bench coach why did he let Manuel make so many stupid in game decisions?

lowesox
11-03-2003, 03:37 PM
This is great news! I wonder how this will impact player movement. You know that Alomar is coming back now. Ozzie's a popular guy in the ML, I'll bet he will tempt big-name players to play for us.

soxnut
11-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Why is that? Because some people passionately disagree with this hiring? The same passion many are saying Ozzie alledgedly has? No matter who was hired, some people weren't going to like it, and to rip them because they don't agree with you is wrong. Ozzie talks a lot, and said many of the things the fans want to hear, while all the other candidates respected the White Sox wishes and kept their mouths shut. Whether he backs up what he said, has grown up since he was here last, and shows leadership is the million dollar question.

No it has nothing to do with disagreing with me. It just seems like the "stereotypical" Sox fan is a crabass.......I have alot of passion for the Sox myself....I'm in complete joy when they win and feel sick when they lose. but I think I just take their decision making in stride.

MisterB
11-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Bob Brenley had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 1st year.

He also had 2 potential hall of famers at the top of his rotation and the 3rd best offense in the league. Neither of which the Sox will have next season.

Mike Scioscia had no managerial experience when he was hired and he won it all in his 3rd year.

1) We're talking about rookie managers, not 3rd year managers.

2) Which one of these doesn't belong:

2000 - 82-80
2001 - 75-87
2002 - 99-63
2003 - 77-85

2002 was a monumental fluke for the Angels.

Tony Pena had no managerial experience, and he took a bad KC team to an 83-win season his first year.

Pena managed 126 games in '02 and KC went 49-77. He didn't exactly turn the team around the moment he took over. Besides, getting a team from bad to mediocre is a lot easier than taking it from good to great.

Managerial experience is not a direct indicator of future success. I'm excited about Ozzie.

In the end, the managerial choice is almost immaterial. The Sox aren't bending over backward to put a winner on the field. It's more of the same old Sox Schtick: fail to develop young talent, overpay mediocre players, scrape the bottom of the barrel for has-beens and reclaimation projects, and hire inexperinced managers to run it all. If there is a hell, I sincerely hope there is a blistering hot corner of it reserved for Mr. Reinsdorf.

poorme
11-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
In the end, the managerial choice is almost immaterial. The Sox aren't bending over backward to put a winner on the field.

Exactly.

soxnut
11-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
btw he does have EXPERIENCED coaches on this team for all that blah blah blah that people seem to need to account for............

And so did Jerry Manuel. This lead me to the point that if Nossek is such a good bench coach why did he let Manuel make so many stupid in game decisions?


Who knows for sure why. But, still I'm not relying that heavily on experience anyway. It is the players, their atttiude and approach that wins games.

In media reports over the last couple of seasons, it has been reported that players on opposing teams could not understand why the Sox aren't as good as they thought they should be, that they played dead and such.......those are the types of things that I think are direct reflection on the manager.

That type of atmosphere has been eliminated with the hiring of Ozzie.

crector
11-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
In the end, the managerial choice is almost immaterial. The Sox aren't bending over backward to put a winner on the field. It's more of the same old Sox Schtick: fail to develop young talent, overpay mediocre players, scrape the bottom of the barrel for has-beens and reclaimation projects, and hire inexperinced managers to run it all. If there is a hell, I sincerely hope there is a blistering hot corner of it reserved for Mr. Reinsdorf.

It should be clear by now that the only things that JR cares about are huge cash profits and NBA championships. He really could care less about if the Sox win anything just as long as the club makes money.

If anything, Reinsdorf is the Sox equivalent of the late Phil Wrigley. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if JR instituted the College of Coaches after he fires Ozzie a few years from now. He'll probably use the slogan, "the kids can coach."

AsInWreck
11-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1


At least he looks like he gives a damn about the Sox which I don't know if I could say the same about Gaston.

Lip

Exactly, I don't know if I could say the same thing about 90% of people wearing a Sox uniform the last 7-8 years, regardless of position w/ the team.

nasox
11-03-2003, 04:36 PM
As long as he handles the bullpen well and makes the sox bunt and steal more, Im fine with Ozzie. Cito would be a huge mistake and we would have to live in another 3 years of mediocrity and then I don't know what I would do. given our options, Ozzie is the best choice

Brian26
11-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Oh good lord. North wants Torborg to be the third base coach. No way that happens. Hell, why not hire Torborg to be the new manager and let Ozzie be the 3rd base coach? Stupid.

longshot7
11-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
2002 was a monumental fluke for the Angels.


I'll take a monumental fluke year for the Sox if it meant a championship.