PDA

View Full Version : Phillies acquire Billy Wagner

Jjav829
11-03-2003, 12:27 PM
According to Peter Gammons, the Phillies acquire Wagner for Brandon Duckworth and other players. The one good thing for Sox fans is that this means that the Phillies may not have as much of an interest in Gordon now.

Randar68
11-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
According to Peter Gammons, the Phillies acquire Wagner for Brandon Duckworth and other players. The one good thing for Sox fans is that this means that the Phillies may not have as much of an interest in Gordon now.

Yep, Houston is now interested! ;-)

JRIG
11-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

I would imagine they'd just move Dotel into the closer role. And they already have Lidge to take Dotel's spot.

Jjav829
11-03-2003, 12:43 PM

Haha, I hope not. With Dotel and Lidge, I would imagine they would rather put that money towards a starter.

BTW, I don't know if anyone heard this, but I heard someone yesterday make reference that Gordon wants to pitch for the Cubs again. Anyone else hear anything about this?

MHOUSE
11-03-2003, 01:10 PM
This makes sense for both teams of course pending the PTBNL. Astros move Wagner's $ and have Dotel to cover as a fire-balling closer. Lidge is a good setup man and Duckworth is a good young starter. Phillies get their closer, but now they need a starting pitcher. Maybe we can keep Flash afterall. Good news for the Sox.

thepaulbowski
11-03-2003, 01:23 PM

I doubt Houston would pay any more than Flash is being offered by the Sox. They are trying to cut payroll because they have most of their payroll wrapped up in about 4-5 players.

RichH55
11-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I would imagine they'd just move Dotel into the closer role. And they already have Lidge to take Dotel's spot.
Lidge has to be one of the biggest injury risks out there

Duckworth was a nice pick up

DSpivack
11-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Dotel has already been tried in the closer role [a few years ago when Wagner was hurt] and wasn't great. That being said, it will likely go to him unless Lidge really impresses early on.

I don't think Gordon will demand being closer, as long as he is pitching late in games and gets big money. I wouldn't be shocked if the Phillies still go after him; or any one else for that matter. I could see Gordon on the Yankees, or back on the Red Sox; there are countless teams looking for bullpen help that will pony up for it; even in today's market.