PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Sox Call 3:00 Press Conference


Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Gee, I wonder what this is about?

Fisk72
11-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Any rumor as to who it's gonna be? Please be Ozzie, please be Ozzie. If that happens, I'll be 2-for-2 this weekend with this added to my fiancee saying "yes" to my proposal!!! Perhaps I could get the reception at Comiskey....

Clarkdog
11-03-2003, 11:12 AM
It's Guillen. He was summoned back to town by Reinsdorf.

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Hurry up and wait...

Clarkdog
11-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Viva -

Where did you here?

crector
11-03-2003, 11:19 AM
For what its worth, I hope and pray that the new manager is a surprise along the lines of Larry Dierker, Grady Little, Bench Coach Nossek, Jeff Torborg, Gene Lamont or even Carlton Fisk. Anyone but the 2 morons who seem to be receiving the top consideration. Hell, even JM with all his self-defeating tinkering would be better than Cito the Race Card Player or Ozzie the Flake.

Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
Viva -

Where did you here?

George Ofman reported the press conference in his 11:00 update on the Score. Ofman indicated that he is unsure if Gaston or Guillen is the new manager, even though we seem to be sure it's Ozzie at this hour.

Tekijawa
11-03-2003, 11:22 AM
Don't worry it's probably to announce a ticket price increase or that All televised games next year will be on the New White Sox Entertainment Station, a newly formed Pay-per-view Channel... :whiner:

ShoelessFred
11-03-2003, 11:24 AM
my guess is that it's about renovations. they will suck every last second of publicity they can during the manager search.

DrCrawdad
11-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
my guess is that it's about renovations. they will suck every last second of publicity they can during the manager search.

That's a possibility. Although if it were to announce the renovations it seems as though that would be more of a scheduled event (longer advance notice), not announcing a press conference four hours in advance.

Jjav829
11-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Gee, I wonder what this is about?

I think it is pretty obvious....










It will be to re-iterate the firing of Bruce Kimm. :smile:

Hondo
11-03-2003, 11:29 AM
There are still some sources insisting it's Cito Gaston according to ESPN radio.
At least the orginization gets props for this:
They wanted to keep the managerial serach hush hush and did a good job of keeping too much news from filtering out.
That could also be because no media gives a crap about the White Sox.

LittleBears Suck
11-03-2003, 11:31 AM
It would be truly unfortunate if the Sox hired Guillen.

Jerry Manuel is more qualified. Aside from the obvious PR implications of this hire, moving from Manuel to Guillen is actually a DOWNgrade. Bad move.

valposoxfan
11-03-2003, 11:32 AM
He may be a flake but he's the best option for our team. C'mon Ozzie.

Hangar18
11-03-2003, 11:34 AM
This is Exciting! the future and direction of the
team will take place at 1500 today.

JRIG
11-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Don't worry it's probably to announce a ticket price increase or that All televised games next year will be on the New White Sox Entertainment Station, a newly formed Pay-per-view Channel... :whiner:

Maybe it's to thank Frank for saving the team $2 million and exercising his option and coming back next year.

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
Maybe it's to thank Frank for saving the team $2 million and exercising his option and coming back next year.


No no no... TEAL is for sarcasm... :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 11:40 AM
I probably jinxed Cito's chances by telling John Kass he was my choice over Ozzie.
:smile:

:reinsy
"Hey, PHG! **** you!"

:)

mike squires
11-03-2003, 11:48 AM
I hope it's Ozzie. Isn't it amazing the differences of opinion on this guy! Ozzie will be great. Green but great. This guy loves the game. I can see him being out there everyday messing with the players, keeping them fresh and always on the dugout step chatting at the ump and being into the game. I have a great picture of him that I took at Old comiskey behine the dugout. He's warming up waiting for a throw. I will cherish it even more if they announce his name today. Walker, Baines and now Guillen. SWEEET!

BeerHandle
11-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
Any rumor as to who it's gonna be? Please be Ozzie, please be Ozzie. If that happens, I'll be 2-for-2 this weekend with this added to my fiancee saying "yes" to my proposal!!! Perhaps I could get the reception at Comiskey....

I tried to have my reception at the park, but it was already booked. Then can accommodate up to 300 people.

duke of dorwood
11-03-2003, 12:01 PM
We were getting Joe Torre, but he was taken away after getting hit by falling roof

duke of dorwood
11-03-2003, 12:03 PM
And I'll take almost anyone over Clarence Gaston

DrCrawdad
11-03-2003, 12:03 PM
This settles it.

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/KWPC.jpg

steff
11-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Everything I'm hearing says Cito. I hope it's not Ozzie.. At this point I'd welcome a clown from Ringling Brothers over him.

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
my guess is that it's about renovations. they will suck every last second of publicity they can during the manager search.

I doubt it. Radio is abuzz with reports that the White Sox will announce their new manager and that Ozzie Guillen is the guy for the White Sox. This isn't just Chicago sports talk either. Everyone's talking about it.

minastirith67
11-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I probably jinxed Cito's chances by telling John Kass he was my choice over Ozzie.
:smile:

:reinsy
"Hey, PHG! **** you!"

:)



George,
Was that an intentional step to get Ozzie hired because you knew it would backfire on Cito?!? Hahaha...

steff
11-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I doubt it. Radio is abuzz with reports that the White Sox will announce their new manager and that Ozzie Guillen is the guy for the White Sox. This isn't just Chicago sports talk either. Everyone's talking about it.


Ugh.. what a sad day if Ozzie is named the new manager. But par for the course, right Killa. We're so used to this BS.

GoSox2K3
11-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by crector
Hell, even JM with all his self-defeating tinkering would be better than Cito the Race Card Player or Ozzie the Flake.

You never know, maybe JM re-applied for the job under the name Manny Jerual.

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by steff
Ugh.. what a sad day if Ozzie is named the new manager. But par for the course, right Killa. We're so used to this BS.

Nothing surprises me anymore. "Par for the course" is a perfect acronym for the White Sox Organization.

Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Ofman just said it's Ozzie, and he will be given a three-year contract.

Viva Magglio
11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
You never know, maybe JM re-applied for the job under the name Manny Jerual.

He re-applied by tinkering with his name.

:jerry
*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

SoxFan78
11-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Bruce Levine is on The Dan Patrick show on ESPN 1000, and he just announced that Ozzie Guillen will be the manager. Hear it from two sources, a little more believable now.

steff
11-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Ofman just said it's Ozzie, and he will be given a three-year contract.


Oh goodie!! Three more years with their fingers up their butts.. Can't wait for opening day now!!

anewman35
11-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by steff
Oh goodie!! Three more years with their fingers up their butts.. Can't wait for opening day now!!

What is it with Sox fans? You can't even give the guy a chance before you start ripping on him? How long until the first "Fire Ozzie" post? What happens if Ozzie is a great manager, are you all going to apoligize for ripping on him?

steff
11-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
What is it with Sox fans? You can't even give the guy a chance before you start ripping on him? How long until the first "Fire Ozzie" post? What happens if Ozzie is a great manager, are you all going to apoligize for ripping on him?


You bet your arse I will.. but I know it will never happen.

Fisk72
11-03-2003, 12:29 PM
It sounds like Gaston's asking price was a little too much. Gee, that's really suprising. JR has never been one to cinch his wallet!

steff
11-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
It sounds like Gaston's asking price was a little too much. Gee, that's really suprising. JR has never been one to cinch his wallet!


Cito wanted a commitment from the Sox that they would be competitive. Should have known right there that he wouldn't get the job.

poorme
11-03-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm not an optimistic guy by nature, but I'm optimistic about this.

A.T. Money
11-03-2003, 12:36 PM
After 6 years of having a corpse in the dugout (Ghandi Manuel), why do you all want Cito? Another corpse?

Ozzie will fire em up like Tony Pena did in KC.

BeerHandle
11-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I'm not an optimistic guy by nature, but I'm optimistic about this.

So is that why your username is "poorme"?

Fisk72
11-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by steff
Cito wanted a commitment from the Sox that they would be competitive. Should have known right there that he wouldn't get the job.

What was he thinking? These are the WHITE Sox. I guess he got us confused with the "other" Sox. Poor guy...

DrCrawdad
11-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I'm not an optimistic guy by nature...

Ah...In general that's what separates us from most Cubbie fans.

While the hire of Ozzie certainly has the possibility to be bad, Cito could have been very bad too. In fact I think Cito would have been a bad Jerry Manuel-like manager, but Cito would have been a PR nightmare as well.

Don't forget too that the demigod Dusty Baker was hired by the Giants with no managing experience. The Giants went on to win 103 games the year Dusty was hired.

If ML experience was what was the primary concern then the Sox should have hired some tired retread.

I like the hire of Ozzie. I think Ozzie is the right man for the right situation at this time.

steff
11-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
What was he thinking? These are the WHITE Sox. I guess he got us confused with the "other" Sox. Poor guy...

Yep.



FWIW, A member of the media (other than who's already been reported to have) confirmed to me it's Ozzie.

And told me to "be nice". So I'm not going to say another word about it.

:(:

chisox06
11-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by steff
You bet your arse I will.. but I know it will never happen.

wow I want some of your future seeing drugs you got. There is 100% without a doubt no way you can tell how Ozzie is goin to do as a manager, its impossible, because he has no experience. The only thing we can go on is knowing ozzie as a person and from that perspective I think hes the right guy for the job. He has a fiery upbeat attitude and thats what this team needs, a little kick in the ass.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
You never know, maybe JM re-applied for the job under the name Manny Jerual.

Here is the punch line you were looking for. :smile:

:KW
"We're very excited about the acquisition of Gerry Manual. He is a five tool player, hits the cutoff man... um, what? You mean he is 50 y.o. and retired? Okay we're excited to have him as new Sox manager. The deal stands."

:jerry
"Heh, heh, heh."

vegyrex
11-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by steff
Cito wanted a commitment from the Sox that they would be competitive. Should have known right there that he wouldn't get the job.

Yep, it sure looks that way.

This is just terrible.

hold2dibber
11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by vegyrex
Yep, it sure looks that way.

This is just terrible.

But we already knew (as KW has repeatedly said) that the payroll in '04 would be about the same as in '03 (i.e., under $60 million). So I don't see how the hiring of Guillen instead of Gaston causes anyone to make an assumptions concerning player personnel.

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2003, 01:45 PM
[ I can see him being out there everyday messing with the players, keeping them fresh and always on the dugout step chatting at the ump and being into the game.

That's interesting because I see him annoying the hell out of his players and umpires and quickly getting into a long, festering feud with Frank.

I will not rip on Ozzie but I am not excited. I think it is a bad hire. Like Steff, I will gladly get in line to apologize if I am wrong.

By the way Steff what was your close association with the Sox during the Ozzie playing days?

bobj4400
11-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Well folks, JR has succeeded in destroying this franchise. This was the final blow. Although I like Ozzie and wish him well, he will not do well here and there is nothing in his power to change that. The only thing that could have saved the White Sox would be a change in direction of the ownership. If they had made the decision to make a strong hire (buy LaRussa from STL, find a way to get Torre, etc.), then up the payroll to 90 mil or above, this franchise could have been saved. Instead we go on the cheap again and will have a 55 mil payroll which lands us in the middle of the pack in the worst division in baseball. I am so frustrated it is sickening. 80 wins next year would be a success. Cant wait.

valposoxfan
11-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
wow I want some of your future seeing drugs you got. There is 100% without a doubt no way you can tell how Ozzie is goin to do as a manager, its impossible, because he has no experience. The only thing we can go on is knowing ozzie as a person and from that perspective I think hes the right guy for the job. He has a fiery upbeat attitude and thats what this team needs, a little kick in the ass.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

anewman35
11-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Instead we go on the cheap again and will have a 55 mil payroll which lands us in the middle of the pack in the worst division in baseball. I am so frustrated it is sickening.

Yep, can't win anything with a low payroll. Might as well forfit the season now. Ask the Marlins!

bobj4400
11-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Gee, I wonder what this is about?


[B] Remember how well the last former Marlin 3rd base coach to be hired as White Sox manager did?

Frank the Tank
11-03-2003, 01:53 PM
How does hiring Ozzie destroy the franchise? If anything, his hiring solidfies it.

longshot7
11-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Here is the punch line you were looking for.
"We're very excited about the acquisition of Gerry Manual. He is a five tool player, hits the cutoff man... um, what? You mean he is 50 y.o. and retired? Okay we're excited to have him as new Sox manager. The deal stands."


this would be funny, if it weren't so true.

TRL
11-03-2003, 02:05 PM
I do like the idea of staying in the "White Sox Family" for the new manager.

Let's hope it works out.

steff
11-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
By the way Steff what was your close association with the Sox during the Ozzie playing days?


I was temporarly insane... and dated a player.

crector
11-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TRL
I do like the idea of staying in the "White Sox Family" for the new manager.

Let's hope it works out.


If you're going to stay in the "family" for a new manager, then why not go for someone who knows what he's doing? Why not a past manager such as Jeff Torborg or Gene Lamont, both of whom know how to win? Or a past player who has a reputation for sound judgement and grasp of baseball fundamentals such as Carlton Fisk?

Having Ozzie as manager makes as much sense as having D'Angelo Jimenez play 2nd Base.

longshot7
11-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by crector
Having Ozzie as manager makes as much sense as having D'Angelo Jimenez play 2nd Base.

Hey, now there's an idea...

TRL
11-03-2003, 02:28 PM
I don't think Ozzie is as baseball dumb as everyone is making him out to be. The obvious question though is how he will handle the pitching staff. Hopefully Coop will be around to help him out with that.

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by TRL
I do like the idea of staying in the "White Sox Family" for the new manager.

Let's hope it works out.

If we were hiring using this as criteria (and I do think it is very valid to do so) I would have rather had Backman.

npdempse
11-03-2003, 02:37 PM
More confirmation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1652981