PDA

View Full Version : Carol Slezak column

Deadguy
11-02-2003, 11:19 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol02.html

To think that at this time last year the Sox invoked the diminished-skills clause in Thomas' contract -- with good reason. When is the last time Thomas got a clutch hit? Don't count on the Sox hanging a "Welcome back, Frank'' banner in the locker room. General manager Ken Williams was businesslike when commenting about Thomas' return, saying: "Now that it's done, we can officially factor him and his salary into our offseason equation and move on to the next thing.''

batmanZoSo
11-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Who cares what Kenny Williams thinks about Thomas, let him be cold and business like. In my opinion it's in the best interests of the team for him to be that way. I don't expect him to be up in arms over his return, that's our job. And a lot of us aren't very good at it. Bunch a shiftless folk we are.

batmanZoSo
11-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Whoa, just read the article...

This broad's a moron.

We're "stuck" with the best DH in baseball who hit 42 homers and got on base at a .400 clip or thereabouts, and for a whopping six million dollars.

And we could've used that money to re-sign Colon! But then we'd be left with a frightened lineup that has no protection or backup for Magglio.

He's the best hitter on this team, and the best hitter this town has ever seen. Yet he makes less than Paul Konerko.

When was the last time he got a clutch hit? I dont' remember the dates, but I'm pretty sure he ended two games with home runs. Both off great pitchers in games where we really needed to win.

pudge
11-02-2003, 11:55 PM
If Slezak actually ever wrote anything of value, maybe it would be worth listening to, but she's a hack of the worst kind... it's no surprise KW is business-like, he's stressed over trying to put this team together... but there's no doubt he knows Thomas is a good deal at $6 mil. It's just that KW doesn't have a limit-less budget.

JRIG
11-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Whoa, just read the article...

This broad's a moron.

We're "stuck" with the best DH in baseball who hit 42 homers and got on base at a .400 clip or thereabouts, and for a whopping six million dollars.

And we could've used that money to re-sign Colon! But then we'd be left with a frightened lineup that has no protection or backup for Magglio.

He's the best hitter on this team, and the best hitter this town has ever seen. Yet he makes less than Paul Konerko.

When was the last time he got a clutch hit? I dont' remember the dates, but I'm pretty sure he ended two games with home runs. Both off great pitchers in games where we really needed to win.

I guess that game winning extra inning home run at Comiskey to sweep the Twins doesn't count.

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by pudge
If Slezak actually ever wrote anything of value, maybe it would be worth listening to, but she's a hack of the worst kind.

I wonder just what it is that some of the Sun-Times sportswriters have on their resumes..... considering I'd put this article (and a few others she's written in the past) right up there with the other flake Moronotti.

While I don't share the popular opinion here on Frank Thomas regarding him exercising his option, I do share the popular admiration shown to Frank Thomas for all that he has done for the Sox in a White Sox uniform. Maybe the Cubs making it to the playoffs clouded Slezak's mind cause that walk-off Frank hit on 07/02/03 off of Guardado was pretty clutch.

TDog
11-03-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Deadguy
http://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol02.html

To think that at this time last year the Sox invoked the diminished-skills clause in Thomas' contract -- with good reason. When is the last time Thomas got a clutch hit? Don't count on the Sox hanging a "Welcome back, Frank'' banner in the locker room. General manager Ken Williams was businesslike when commenting about Thomas' return, saying: "Now that it's done, we can officially factor him and his salary into our offseason equation and move on to the next thing.''

This woman has the memory of a cock roach. The game Thomas won with a home run against the Twins was right about the beginning of July, but the game where he hit a two-run homer to tie the game and a two-run homer to win the game wasn't that long ago.

There are quality journalists out there who can't find work in the depressed industry, and this is the sort of stuff running in Chicago newspapers?

hose
11-03-2003, 05:56 AM
That game was against Anaheim when Washburn was throwing a no hitter for 6+ innings.

hose
11-03-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I wonder just what it is that some of the Sun-Times sportswriters have on their resumes..... considering I'd put this article (and a few others she's written in the past) right up there with the other flake Moronotti.

While I don't share the popular opinion here on Frank Thomas regarding him exercising his option, I do share the popular admiration shown to Frank Thomas for all that he has done for the Sox in a White Sox uniform. Maybe the Cubs making it to the playoffs clouded Slezak's mind cause that walk-off Frank hit on 07/02/03 off of Guardado was pretty clutch.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay03.html

The moron mentioned , ball-mall, diminished skills contract, Big Skirt, dwindling fan base, bad club house, lethargic play, naming ball player who heard rumors, cub mania, what a guy... he got all his digs in.

Brian26
11-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
I guess that game winning extra inning home run at Comiskey to sweep the Twins doesn't count.

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I read that sentence. Maybe it stands out more for me because I went to that game. I doubt it though. That was a huge moment in the White Sox season. Frank had some giant hits this season (including at least one other walk-off homer (vs the Angels?)), but how can you miss the biggest hit of the year...maybe the biggest game of the season for the Sox. That was giant. Slezak really looked like a moron in that article.

Brian26
11-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by hose
That game was against Anaheim when Washburn was throwing a no hitter for 6+ innings.

Ah yes, my memory served me right. It was the Angels.

chosk8
11-03-2003, 10:07 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/daily.jsp?ymd=20030818

click on the ANA @ CWS "play of the game". Classic Hawk call.

The other against the Twins in extra innings..."High and Deep"
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/daily.jsp?ymd=20030702

Need Real Player to view

StepsInSC
11-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Just dropped her a little reminder of several of his clutch hits.

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Remind her of the times that Frank was walked to load the bases in one run games as teams anticipated a clutch hit from him. Obviously there are a few people with baseball knowledge who would disagree with her opinions.

JRIG
11-03-2003, 11:16 AM
I liked this part too:

With their savings, the Sox could have raised their offer to Bartolo Colon and pursued another quality starting pitcher. If Thomas had opted for free agency, the Sox also could have eased their logjam at first base and designated hitter.

Yeah, because $13 million a year isn't a big enough offer for Colon. What if we rescinded our offer to Colon and paid Frank $6 million and still had $7 million to offer to a quality starting pitcher. Makes much more sense to me.

And damn that log jam at first base and DH which forces the Sox to try to find a place in the lineup for both a .400 OBP, .560 SLG, 40-HR hitter and a .220 hitter who ended the season on a 2-48 run and led the league in GIDPs.

Woe is the Sox fortunes.

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
I liked this part too:

Yeah, because $13 million a year isn't a big enough offer for Colon. What if we rescinded our offer to Colon and paid Frank $6 million and still had $7 million to offer to a quality starting pitcher. Makes much more sense to me.

And damn that log jam at first base and DH which forces the Sox to try to find a place in the lineup for both a .400 OBP, .560 SLG, 40-HR hitter and a .220 hitter who ended the season on a 2-48 run and led the league in GIDPs.

Woe is the Sox fortunes.

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

JRIG
11-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13)

Wow. Thanks. My first time too. Becoming a WSI Personality and POTW in the same week is almost too much to handle.

Foulke You
11-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by hose
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay03.html

The moron mentioned , ball-mall, diminished skills contract, Big Skirt, dwindling fan base, bad club house, lethargic play, naming ball player who heard rumors, cub mania, what a guy... he got all his digs in.

"In a perfect world, sure, there were better ideas. Reinsdorf and Williams erred in keeping Manuel a year too long and not seeking, oh, Lou Piniella last winter"

-Jay Mariotti

Also, don't forget! No Mariotti article would be complete without the obligatory "In a perfect world..." beginning to a sentence. I wonder if he has a special key on his keyboard that auto prints "ballmall" and "In a perfect world," etc.?

Brian26
11-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
"In a perfect world, sure, there were better ideas. Reinsdorf and Williams erred in keeping Manuel a year too long and not seeking, oh, Lou Piniella last winter"

-Jay Mariotti

Also, don't forget! No Mariotti article would be complete without the obligatory "In a perfect world..." beginning to a sentence. I wonder if he has a special key on his keyboard that auto prints "ballmall" and "In a perfect world," etc.?

Please tell me he used the word "delicious" in there somewhere.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2003, 01:16 PM
From today's Mariotti column on Ozzie:

The Sox can't let the Cubs be the predominant baseball story in Chicago. Maybe it's a Cubs world, but the Sox don't have to live in it.

Lip

doublem23
11-03-2003, 01:19 PM
*ah*carolslezakisa****ingmoron*choo*

doublem23
11-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
From today's Mariotti column on Ozzie:

The Sox can't let the Cubs be the predominant baseball story in Chicago. Maybe it's a Cubs world, but the Sox don't have to live in it.

Lip

Wow... I wonder how long it took Mariotti to think of that.

:moron
Simply amazing! The Sox don't have to live in the Cubs shadow... I wonder why no one else has ever thought of this before! Isn't that delicious? I amaze myself on a daily basis.