PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza the winner?

JaylisJP
11-02-2003, 11:17 PM
When do they announce the AL CY Young...and does Esteban have a shot? I honestly think he should win, 1st in SO, 3rd in ERA, 2nd in Wins...with the Sox 10 games over at the end of the season. I don't know, he deserves it at least.

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 12:27 AM
He definitely has a shot. I think it's a shame if he doesn't win the Cy Young..... considering our 21-game winner lost two games to the Detroit Tigers 1-0. Loaiza should have been a 23 game winner. But what's done is done.

Don't be surprised if the AL East heavies vote for Halliday.

WhiteSox = Life
11-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
He definitely has a shot. I think it's a shame if he doesn't win the Cy Young..... considering our 21-game winner lost two games to the Detroit Tigers 1-0. Loaiza should have been a 23 game winner. But what's done is done.

Don't be surprised if the AL East heavies vote for Halliday.

Both Loaiza and Halladay pitched very well over the season. Halladay had some more run support as well as a higher ERA. At one point, he won IIRC 15 decisions in a row.

Loaiza pitched with a sub-3.00 ERA virtually the whole season. He had a high strikeout total, devastated most of his opponents with the cutter and finished with one less win than Halladay.

I believe votes are already cast, so... If voters looked at the overall season, I think Loaiza will get the nod. Same if they looked at the first half of the season. If voters looked more at the second half, then Halladay will win the award.

What may have been the deciding factor was the month of September. While Loaiza got sick and had a few bad starts, doing poorly and losing in the midst of a huge block of games for the Sox, Halladay was lights-out. I don't have the numbers on me, but he pitched nothing short of inspired.

Maybe the deciding factor deciding factor (it's intentional) was Halladay's 10 inning shutout. It may have been against the Tigers (I believe), but it was the first such performance by a pitcher in over a decade.

Both pitchers kept their team in the playoff hunt for a good while, and both pitched their arms off. There are arguments for both sides and they are both well deserving.

If I had to vote unbiased, I would go Loaiza just because he was the only Sox pitcher who showed up for a few months and single-handedly gave them a shot to win the division. Despite his faltering at the end (and unfortunately, in the most crucial part of the season), his performance over the entire season would cause me to give him the Cy Young.

Now, in a truly biased vote, I would go for Halladay.

:smile: