PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Gammons Article

WLL1855
11-02-2003, 07:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1651586

Looks like Jerry and Kenny aren't the only ones who make awful contract decisions. There's a list of players after the "Manny" commentary that are in the same boat with their respective teams that Konerko is with us. I'm surprised he isn't on the list. It doesn't do us any real good, but reading this made me feel a little better about being stuck with Paulie's contract. Schadenfreude and all that.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-02-2003, 07:42 PM
I've come to realize to not whine all the time about how bad Konerko's contract is. Just look at some of these guys and you'll see why. Almost every team gets screwed with a bad contract every so often

chisox06
11-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Geeze wasn't this guy an all-star? I mean its not like Paul doesnt have the potential to swing outa his funk. Now I know Paul hasn't gotten things together for a long time now but Im not ready to throw in the towel on this guy.

Deadguy
11-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Geeze wasn't this guy an all-star? I mean its not like Paul doesnt have the potential to swing outa his funk. Now I know Paul hasn't gotten things together for a long time now but Im not ready to throw in the towel on this guy.

He made the All Star team primarilly because of what he did in June of 2002, when he hit 12 homers.

He had a good April, hitting .371 with 4 HRs, an ok May, hitting .295 with 4 Hrs, but it was what he did in June that got him the spot.

Since he has hit just twice as many homeruns in the 9 playing months since June of 2002, his performance that month is looking more and more like a fluke.

The Sox were fooled into believing that Konerko's performance in June of 2002 was the real deal, and that Konerko would blossom into an All Star. Instead, he fell flat on his face, and he, along with Koch, deserve most of the blame for us coming 4 games short of Minnesota. Had he and Koch simply performed at 2002 levels, this season could have turned out differently.

OneDog
11-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by chisox06

Good attitude to have, especially because we know that no team will be willing to take him at his price. For better or worse, Paulie is ours. He did have a much improved second half in 2003, and he seems to have a solid work ethic and good character.....so, here's hoping for a Paul Konerko rebound season in 2004. :gulp: :D:

fquaye149
11-02-2003, 08:56 PM
i'd rather have 1 manny than 3 paulies...

and before you get on the "attitude" thing... i know i know...

i'm just saying...manny's worth 20 mill per

StillMissOzzie
11-03-2003, 01:21 AM
I read the Gammons story & list on ESPN.com, too. There sure is a lot of high-priced dead weight there! I'm beginning to think that every GM in baseball should start thinking about diminished skills clauses in the contracts they negotiate. Greedy players and greedy agents vs. dumb owners make for some poor decisions. But, it sure sounds like the salary skyrocket is taking a detour this year. As evidenced by Frank & Sosa staying put, either would be gone, IMO, if they could have gotten more $$$ elsewhere.

SMO
:gulp:

cornball
11-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
I read the Gammons story & list on ESPN.com, too. There sure is a lot of high-priced dead weight there! I'm beginning to think that every GM in baseball should start thinking about diminished skills clauses in the contracts they negotiate. Greedy players and greedy agents vs. dumb owners make for some poor decisions. But, it sure sounds like the salary skyrocket is taking a detour this year. As evidenced by Frank & Sosa staying put, either would be gone, IMO, if they could have gotten more $$$ elsewhere.

SMO
:gulp:

No doubt, both would have left if they could have gotten more money.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149

I don't think any baseball player is worth $20 million a year. Who goes to games because Manny Ramirez is playing. Michael Jordan was worth the $30 million he received, he sold every arena out. There are very few professional athletes that make a very big difference at the gate. The only baseball player I could think of is Bonds, but who wants to pay to go watch him walk four times?

fquaye149
11-03-2003, 09:16 AM
they may not go to games because they specifically want to see manny play,but they do want to see a successful team...and the south siders are just the same.

Manny puts up maybe the best offensive numbers in baseball with the exception of Bonds and that helps Boston be a perennial contender

crector
11-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
As evidenced by Frank & Sosa staying put, either would be gone, IMO, if they could have gotten more $$$ elsewhere.

Well, So-So would have left for greener pastures, but its doubtful if Frank would. Remember, when his 6 years was up with the Sox, he opted not to even explore free agency. Frank's a lot more loyal to the South Side fans than most folks appreciate.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Frank finally sold his mansion for $7.95 million.

crector
11-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Manny puts up maybe the best offensive numbers in baseball with the exception of Bonds and that helps Boston be a perennial contender

Frank's a much better player with more offensive potential for 2004 than your beloved Manny. Ramirez is a certifiable idiot and a mental case besides. We don't need his bad vibrations in the clubhouse. Also, if we had to place his 20 mil contract on the pay roll, it would preclude our being able to pick up any Free Agents and we'd have to trade to Boston one of our good, non-headcase players.

Bringing Manny Ramirez to the Sox roster is an awful idea.

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2003, 10:44 AM
Crector's right! Who does not believe that Frank is going to be hitting .320 again next year with 120 RBI's?

crector
11-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Crector's right! Who does not believe that Frank is going to be hitting .320 again next year with 120 RBI's?

If the new manager has the wisdom to place Frank at 1B next year, then Frank should be able to post much better numbers than he did last year at DH.

In any event, the nut case Manny is due a fall pretty soon. So his numbers may very well go down next year.

thepaulbowski
11-03-2003, 12:40 PM

Manny is worthless. He can't run out groundballs, he can't show up to work when he has a little cough, but can go out and meet friends at the bar, doesn't posses the vigor to chase after balls in a short left field at Fenway. The guy is a lazy clubhouse cancer. He takes more money in Boston, then complains about it. He's a little baby and I'm tired off the crap that he comes up with. Shut up and do your job (a try to earn a little bit of that 20 million per year). Too bad a team in Japan isn't interested in him so we could stop hearing about him;.

Deadguy
11-03-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by WLL1855
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1651586

Looks like Jerry and Kenny aren't the only ones who make awful contract decisions. There's a list of players after the "Manny" commentary that are in the same boat with their respective teams that Konerko is with us. I'm surprised he isn't on the list. It doesn't do us any real good, but reading this made me feel a little better about being stuck with Paulie's contract. Schadenfreude and all that.

Peter left him off the list because he figured that 90% of the people reading the column would mouth out the words, "Who the hell? ", when they'd come across his name.

Then after a 10 second brain cramp, the reader would come to the realization that Konerko was that flash in the pan in June of 2002 who arrogantly called Frank Thomas out in public, and then fell flat on his face for the next season and a half.

Deadguy
11-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Frank finally sold his mansion for $7.95 million.

Isn't that a little bit less than it cost him to build it?

I remember reading about how Lon Kruger had a hard time selling his home in Champaign after accepting the job with the Atlanta Hawks, because it had a full-length basketball court in it, which made it difficult to sell for market value. He finally had to settle for less than half of market value for the house.

I remember that Frank had such luxuries as a batting cage in his house, that potential buyers may have no need for, which is why he probably had to settle for a bit less.