PDA

View Full Version : Konerko


ewokpelts
11-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey all,

How much does the Double Play King make?

RKMeibalane
11-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Hey all,

How much does the Double Play King make?

Too much. The actual salary figure is around eight million dollars a season.

ewokpelts
11-02-2003, 03:38 PM
ouch...and people thought frank was making too much money

JRIG
11-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Here's the exact numbers:

2003: $6.25M
2004: $8.0M
2005: $8.75M

-2004 & 2005 salaries rise by $0.5M if traded


I didn't know about the trade clause. That should make him even more difficult to move.

Leonidas
11-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Man I loved PK up until this season. He seemed to be a perfect fit for the south side, but something I haven't seen on this board is your predictions as to how he'll perform next year.

His slump in the first half was more like a ravine, or maybe a canyon. A .183 average. I kept pulling for him all season, and then it seemed like he got back on track when everyone thought this team was playoff bound.

But something that seems to get lost in the manager and other financial talks is that when Konerko got hot everyone had him pegged to hit 20HR, 70RBI, and, most importantly, a .250 avg. Every night DJ would point out his rising average. But did anyone notice he went something like 3 for 40-something to close out the year? What's to say he won't have another 'slump'? Or do you think he'll be back to form? I think because of his salary this is a HUGE question.

TaylorStSox
11-02-2003, 04:17 PM
I think he has some injury problems that aren't being revealed.

Aside from this year's performance, there's something that bothers me about him. If we're winning, and he strikes out. He comes back to the dugout and throws a tantrum. Personally, I wouldn't want to be around a guy like that. It's plain selfish.

jabrch
11-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
ouch...and people thought frank was making too much money

I don't think many people felt that Frank was making "too much money" only that we did not have the luxury of comitting to him at 8 and guaranteeing him options on the next two at 10 and 12 (or whatever those numbers are) if he chose to not take the 6.

Paulwny
11-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I think he has some injury problems that aren't being revealed.

Aside from this year's performance, there's something that bothers me about him. If we're winning, and he strikes out. He comes back to the dugout and throws a tantrum. Personally, I wouldn't want to be around a guy like that. It's plain selfish.

No way am I saying that Paul O'Neill and Konerko were ever equal in talent however, O'Neill was notorious for this type of behavior. It didn't seem to bother the other players.

TaylorStSox
11-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Look at the teams he played for though. They were all talented, verteran teams that were expected to win. It's a different atmosphere.

duke of dorwood
11-02-2003, 05:17 PM
I still like PK-we just have a glut of players that cannot or will not advance runners when necessary

MRKARNO
11-02-2003, 05:20 PM
I still think PK will have a good year next year. 8 million dollar year? no. But still a respectable year

ewokpelts
11-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I don't think many people felt that Frank was making "too much money" only that we did not have the luxury of comitting to him at 8 and guaranteeing him options on the next two at 10 and 12 (or whatever those numbers are) if he chose to not take the 6.

I was referring to pre-diminished skills.
Gene

CubKilla
11-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I think he has some injury problems that aren't being revealed.

Doesn't PK have a degenerative hip that has been causing him problems?

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Doesn't PK have a degenerative hip that has been causing him problems?

That is the widely spread rumor which PK himself denys.

WhiteSox = Life
11-03-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Doesn't PK have a degenerative hip that has been causing him problems?

This has been discussed ad nauseum, but to the extent of my knowledge, no such problem has ever been disclosed.

MisterB
11-03-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Doesn't PK have a degenerative hip that has been causing him problems?

From what little has been officially said, PK's hip condition is congenital, but not degenerative.