PDA

View Full Version : Manager Decision Monday...maybe both?

ilsox7
11-02-2003, 12:48 PM
According to this article, KW makes a decision Monday...could it be both Ozzie and Cito?

Cito AND Ozzie? (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1652223)

soxnut
11-02-2003, 12:57 PM
Ok, not sure how all of that is possible. Guillen did mention that he would only come to Chicago if hired as a manager. I suppose if he was promised to be manager down the road, that he would accept a coaching position. But, what kind of contract would it be for Gaston? A 2-yr deal...then good-bye or what? Why would Gaston go for something like that?

ilsox7
11-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Sometimes in life ya gotta make decisions and this is one of those times. Do you want the guy who has 2 rings and experience but makes JM look like Bobby Knight or do you want an emotional ex-player who may ruffle some feathers and could actually bring a few extra fans to the game? One or the other...not both.

michned
11-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
According to this article, KW makes a decision Monday...could it be both Ozzie and Cito?

Could it be that Cito will manage for two or three years, then will move upstairs as they dump payroll, go young, and put Ozzie in control?

MarqSox
11-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Ok, not sure how all of that is possible. Guillen did mention that he would only come to Chicago if hired as a manager. I suppose if he was promised to be manager down the road, that he would accept a coaching position. But, what kind of contract would it be for Gaston? A 2-yr deal...then good-bye or what? Why would Gaston go for something like that?
Maybe he just wants to coach a few more years then retire? It's not that ridiculous.

TraderTim
11-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Actually, I heard an interview with Cito a few weeks ago and he said he wanted to coach for a couple more years and then would probably be finished. That's why he thought the Sox situation might be intriguing, if they patched a few holes and stayed very competitive, because he thought that in the current environment, they might be very successful for the next couple of years.

The gist was...he'd get his last shot at perhaps another ring and then retire. It also sounded like he wouldn't be coming to the Sox unless he felt they were trying to go deep in the playoffs for 2004-2005.

TT

MarqSox
11-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by TraderTim
Actually, I heard an interview with Cito a few weeks ago and he said he wanted to coach for a couple more years and then would probably be finished. That's why he thought the Sox situation might be intriguing, if they patched a few holes and stayed very competitive, because he thought that in the current environment, they might be very successful for the next couple of years.

The gist was...he'd get his last shot at perhaps another ring and then retire. It also sounded like he wouldn't be coming to the Sox unless he felt they were trying to go deep in the playoffs for 2004-2005.

TT
Makes sense ... if he could win another World Series (or 2!), he'd have a decent case to be considered for the Hall of Fame as a manager. Especially if he could become the first Chicago manager in 87 years to win one.

jeremyb1
11-02-2003, 04:13 PM
If KW seriously wanted to hire both, I'd think Ozzie's refusal to accept a coaching job would most likely force KW to just hire Ozzie as manager. If he really likes Ozzie as a managerial candidate that much, he probably wouldn't pass up on him and risk losing him to another club for a couple years of Cito.

duke of dorwood
11-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Offer Clarence Gaston a 6 month contract and maybe we will be spared .

cornball
11-02-2003, 06:24 PM
My gut tells me Cito turns the job down. I dont know why but I just have the feeling and Ozzie gets it by default.

soxtalker
11-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by cornball
My gut tells me Cito turns the job down. I dont know why but I just have the feeling and Ozzie gets it by default.

Why does he turn it down? (What about the offer is unacceptable to Cito?)

TDog
11-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Makes sense ... if he could win another World Series (or 2!), he'd have a decent case to be considered for the Hall of Fame as a manager. Especially if he could become the first Chicago manager in 87 years to win one.

Hall of Fame managers don't just manage a few years and win a few World Series. Al Lopez managed in 17 seasons and only went to two World Series, for Cleveland and the Sox. Finishing second to the Yankees pre-draft dynasty when he wasn't going to the Series throughout the 1950s was his other achievement. Walt Alston managed the Dodgers for at least 25 years. Miler Huggins, Casey Stengel, Connie Mack and John McGraw distinguished themselves as managers in an way Cito Gaston never could.

Unless the Hall of Fame waters down its standards enough to take people like Ron Santo, Cito Gaston doesn't stand a chance to get in.

cornball
11-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Why does he turn it down? (What about the offer is unacceptable to Cito?)

How about choosing his own staff, salary and the commitment from ownership to actually field a winner.

Daver
11-02-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by cornball
How about choosing his own staff, salary and the commitment from ownership to actually field a winner.

Who said he can't choose his staff?

TraderTim
11-02-2003, 08:09 PM
You're assuming first that they wouldn't pay him. I doubt they'd go this far with the interview process unless they felt he was signable.

You're assuming the Sox won't put a winnable team on the field. It was clear in the interview I heard he felt the 2003 Sox team needed a hole or two patched and he thought some time a motivation would make them a good bet in the post season if they got hot once they made the post season.

You're assuming he dislikes the current Sox coaches. Or that he will be told those are his coaches, deal with it. They could always reassign the current coaches he had problems with. Or maybe he's fine with them. Obviously, his like for Molitor now doesn't matter. He's been out of coaching for some time. Maybe he's fine with coming here for several years, naming a third base coach and then figuring he can change coaches after the first season.

We'll know his thoughts and his answer [Or someone's answer at least] soon.

TT

voodoochile
11-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Who said he can't choose his staff?

The Sox have retained all of the coaches except for Kimm. That is the only position that is currently available for the new manager to pick. Maybe negotiations can change that, but as of this point in time, the new manager is expected to work with the coaches the Sox already have on payroll.

Daver
11-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The Sox have retained all of the coaches except for Kimm. That is the only position that is currently available for the new manager to pick. Maybe negotiations can change that, but as of this point in time, the new manager is expected to work with the coaches the Sox already have on payroll.

That is not what Kenny said.He said the rest of the coaching staff with stay with the organization,he did not say in what capacity.

voodoochile
11-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Daver
That is not what Kenny said.He said the rest of the coaching staff with stay with the organization,he did not say in what capacity.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I misunderstood...

batmanZoSo
11-02-2003, 11:58 PM
TDog,
I'd like to see Al Lopez's career winning percentage. I'm not sure the exact- era in which he managed, but I do know that from 51 to 67, the Sox were over .500 or winning 85-90+ games pretty much every year. And only one pennant to show for it because that same general period was probably the Yankees best run as a franchise.