PDA

View Full Version : Iguchi

StepsInSC
11-01-2003, 09:30 PM
There's been talk of people wanting K-Dub to go after Kaz (pipedream of course), but after checking out this article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=knight-anotherjapanstarmightbehe&prov=knight&type=lgns) I wouldn't mind going after Iguchi. Its a gamble, but I've always thought the extra attention the club would recieve (at least overseas) would be well worth it. I got to see him play several times in Japan this year for the champion Hawks and was impressed, even though I was still surprised to hear he will might be coming to the MLB.

I couldn't care about the HRs (they'll drop off drastically in MLB ballparks) but his speed combined with the perfect knowledge of fundamentals thats he has would be good at the top of this lineup in my humble opinion. Of course I think its still too risky, this year was the first good year he's had. But could come pretty cheap.

MHOUSE
11-02-2003, 12:13 AM
Where does Iguchi play?

RichH55
11-02-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
There's been talk of people wanting K-Dub to go after Kaz (pipedream of course), but after checking out this article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=knight-anotherjapanstarmightbehe&prov=knight&type=lgns) I wouldn't mind going after Iguchi. Its a gamble, but I've always thought the extra attention the club would recieve (at least overseas) would be well worth it. I got to see him play several times in Japan this year for the champion Hawks and was impressed, even though I was still surprised to hear he will might be coming to the MLB.

I couldn't care about the HRs (they'll drop off drastically in MLB ballparks) but his speed combined with the perfect knowledge of fundamentals thats he has would be good at the top of this lineup in my humble opinion. Of course I think its still too risky, this year was the first good year he's had. But could come pretty cheap.

3 million or less a year and you have me sold

Iguana775
11-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Where does Iguchi play?

Japan? lol

MRKARNO
11-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Where does Iguchi play?

2b/ss

StepsInSC
11-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Where does Iguchi play?

For the Daiei Hawks in Japan, who won the Japan Series last week. Or maybe you meant position, SS. He had a breakout year this year with them and he has said he wants to come to the states.

His numbers in Japan in 2003 were .340 avg, 109RBI, 41SBs, 27 HRs.

Adjusted to Major League levels, his 2003 numbers would "translate" to the following in the MLB:
Hits 2B 3B HRs BB AVG SB
189 42 2 19 76 .322 48

Not as established as Kaz but could come a lot cheaper.

nasox
11-02-2003, 02:38 PM
I like it. It is risky but he is better than valentin (actually, i dont know-is he a liabilty defensively?) and would change to focus of this white sox team from being power and pull to contact and more of a small ball team.

AngelLeroy
11-02-2003, 05:56 PM
This seems like something we could do, especially since we might not see Alomar and Valentin back next year. I think the international exposure of a Japanese player would help this team a lot, and Matsui is probably going to be too expensive for the Sox. As long as he hits ~.260, draws a lot of walks, steals bases, and can field halfway decent, I wouldn't mind seeing this guy come here at all.

Chisoxfn
11-02-2003, 06:14 PM
This guy looks like a way better option then Matsui. I like the idea of this. Give him like a 3 mill deal and the Sox can pay a bit to negotiate with him...cause it looks like whoever gets him will have to pay a price to his current team.

StepsInSC
11-02-2003, 06:48 PM
If I'm correct, however, he has been playing 2B for the past 2 years so rust is a concern, but he played SS for his entire career before that. Just having played in Japan he definitely would have the fundamentals down on both sides of the ball.

The past 2 years his fielding % has been .992 at second base but his numbers at short were lower (.976 in the 4 years he spent at short)

WhiteSox = Life
11-02-2003, 06:55 PM
I give a "Nod of Sí To" Iguchi.

I like his numbers and I think he could be a good shortstop for the Sox. I don't know how his defense is, but Japanese players are very good on the fundamentals, but I don't know if that thinking is proper or correct, in this or any instance.

Anyhoo, I would like to see Iguchi play and I think his presence would help the Sox as well as the marketing. A lot of Japanese came out to see Matsui when the Yankees were in town. Who's to say they wouldn't do the same for Iguchi, too?

It's a very interesting prospect (he is, too) and I think KW should look into this with a curious eye... Two, preferably.

cornball
11-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Put him at second with Kas at short. :D:

StepsInSC
11-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I don't know how his defense is, but Japanese players are very good on the fundamentals, but I don't know if that thinking is proper or correct, in this or any instance.

They tend to value practice over innate talent, so 99.9% of all their players are fundamentally sound. Look at Matsui, he was a 50+HR guy in Japan but when in the MLB he can lay down a bunt perfectly.

I was wondering though, would the Sox get any revenue from the games being televised abroad? All Mariner and Yankee games are televised in Japan b/c of their Japanese players, surely they receive something from it. Something JR might be willing to reinvest into the team..?

mikef1331
11-02-2003, 09:39 PM
This seems more "doo-able" than a deal with Matsui would be. Iguchi's stats are similar except in the homer department, but we have enough players who allready swing for the fences. We need a smallball player with speed.... he seems to be a good fit.

ondafarm
11-03-2003, 06:42 AM
I've seen Iguchi play and he is a solid defensive SS, if not a great one. Daiei does play on a pretty bad home field but Iguchi adjusts well. He anticipates and gets good jumps on balls. I've seen him bunt and he uses his speed well. All in all a fundamentally sound player. Not likely to be a star but a solid player here. His numbers pre this recent season where good but not extraordinary.

kbriley
11-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Hey StepsInSC,

Just curious, but where do you live in Fukuoka? I lived in Takamiya for close to 5 years, but that was about 10 years ago. I used to go to the old Heiwadai stadium before the Dome was built. I have alot of great memories of Fukuoka baseball including talking to Black Jack Mcdowel when a team from the states toured Japan.

StepsInSC
11-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Hi kbriley,

I remember getting your email this summer but your listed email here on WSI was not functional so I could never reply.

I've never lived in Fukuoka for an extended period of time, but I was there this summer as well as Kyoto for several months studying and interning. I loved the city while I was there and had the opportunity to see a lot of the Hawks games. I interned down near the city hall (kind of near Tenjin) and lived South of Hakata.

I'm really looking forward to getting to go back, between the Hawks' games, Yamakasa, and the food, I miss it a lot.

voodoochile
11-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I've seen Iguchi play and he is a solid defensive SS, if not a great one. Daiei does play on a pretty bad home field but Iguchi adjusts well. He anticipates and gets good jumps on balls. I've seen him bunt and he uses his speed well. All in all a fundamentally sound player. Not likely to be a star but a solid player here. His numbers pre this recent season where good but not extraordinary.

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

kbriley
11-03-2003, 11:56 AM
I also lived in Kyoto for a couple of years and got to take in games at Green Stadium and Koshien. Koshien was cool. By the way, is Off Broadway still around (gaijin bar in Tenjin)? My friend runs the place and I was just wondering if it still packs in the people. I remember seeing a game between the Dodgers and a combination of the Hawks and Giants. The Dodgers got slaughtered and my friend mentioned that half the Dodger's team was at his bar until 4am doing tequila shots, including Darryl Strawberry.

I used to walk by city hall all the time. Doesn't it have that water fountain/clock?

ondafarm
11-03-2003, 12:30 PM

Adjusted to Major League levels, his 2003 numbers would "translate" to the following in the MLB:
Hits 2B 3B HRs BB AVG SB
189 42 2 19 76 .322 48

I'm just curious where you got your conversion factors (apart from the obvious games played conversion.) The HR and avg factors are obviously very interesting.

And for the record, I was referencing the pre-dome Daiei field. Obviously, the dome is better.

DonkeyKongerko
11-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Iguchi sounds like a grinder. This team really has no solid leadoff hitter, I consider Alomar more of a #2 guy.

StepsInSC
11-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm

Hits 2B 3B HRs BB AVG SB
189 42 2 19 76 .322 48

I'm just curious where you got your conversion factors (apart from the obvious games played conversion.) The HR and avg factors are obviously very interesting.

And for the record, I was referencing the pre-dome Daiei field. Obviously, the dome is better.

I was applying Jim Albright's factors found here (http://baseballguru.com/jalbright/analysisjalbright19.html) . Its just a matching of stats of players who have played both in Japan and in the MLB (up until the beginning of last season). Like he says its only statistics, and not a predictor of the future by any means.

humansushi
11-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by kbriley
I also lived in Kyoto for a couple of years and got to take in games at Green Stadium and Koshien. Koshien was cool. By the way, is Off Broadway still around (gaijin bar in Tenjin)? My friend runs the place and I was just wondering if it still packs in the people. I remember seeing a game between the Dodgers and a combination of the Hawks and Giants. The Dodgers got slaughtered and my friend mentioned that half the Dodger's team was at his bar until 4am doing tequila shots, including Darryl Strawberry.

I used to walk by city hall all the time. Doesn't it have that water fountain/clock?

Off Broadway is still there. I currently live in Nagasaki(4 years). About an hour and a half drive from Fukuoka. I lived in Hakata for about 2 years. Iguchi really isn't a market player for the Japanese like Matsuii, but is a very fundamentally sound player which would benefit the Sox greatly. By the way the Japan series was great, going the distance 7 games with Hanshiin winning their home games and Daeii winning all of their's.

humansushi
11-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Whose your friend at Off Broadway? Luis, Alex?

kbriley
11-04-2003, 03:45 AM
I know both Matos brothers. We used to play basketball on Wednesdays and then I would drink beer at either Off Broadway or Off Campus or Rumours or someplace. Are they both still in Fukuoka? It has been close to six years since I have been in Fukuoka...

humansushi
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
I know both Matos brothers. We used to play basketball on Wednesdays and then I would drink beer at either Off Broadway or Off Campus or Rumours or someplace. Are they both still in Fukuoka? It has been close to six years since I have been in Fukuoka...

Yeah they're both still around. Haven't talked to them in awhile since I came to Nagasaki. When I do make it up to ***. I usually go to the Dark Room(down the street from Rumours) to drink, though in a different building now than from 6 years ago. I can't believe I'm still here!!!

kbriley
11-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Is Moses still running the Dark Room? I thought Rumours closed along time ago...

humansushi
11-05-2003, 02:27 AM
Is Moses still running the Dark Room? I thought Rumours closed along time ago...
Yup. That is also where I met my wife, she worked there for a few years from the time it opened. I was in Atlanta earlier in the year on work, and caught up with Jon(Dj at Dark Room and Love FM). I'm sure we probably met one druken night and don't even realize it. I've been here for about 9 years now, off and on.

Took my wife's family to a game this year, first time they have visited Chicago. Picked a good night to go, as Sox rolled Minnesota 10-3 on June 30th. I was doing my part in making the Sox internationally known!

kbriley
11-05-2003, 11:14 AM
I remember Jon and also his girlfriend who was really nice. You probably remember my friend (and SOX fan) Steve Zegarelli too. He was also a DJ at Love FM and would hit the Dark Room every night after his late night show.

As for us having met on drunken night, the were ALL drunken nights which is why I had to leave...I definitely miss it though.

humansushi
11-05-2003, 09:31 PM
We've turned this thread into a personal memory trip. Iknew a few Steve's, the one at Love FM I thought was British, probably wrong. Jon married Kauru back in 1999, it was a nice wedding.
BTW my name is Rob, and my wife is Hiromi.

MRKARNO
11-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Any new Iguchi news?

StepsInSC
11-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Any new Iguchi news?

I believe he hasn't yet been posted by the team, and he has stated (in traditional Japanese fashion) that if the team doesn't post him then he won't fight it because he doesn't want to get into a fight with the team. Supposedly the Mets have expressed interest, but they'll probably get Kaz before Iguchi. Frankly it doesn't look like Iguchi will make it to the MLB.

All this talk about Fukuoka is making me want to go back.