PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez As a Free Agent After '04

joecrede
11-01-2003, 05:28 PM
What do you think the market for Ordonez will be after next season?

After seeing Ramirez go unclaimed and knowing Guerrero and Sheffield being free agents this year will take two teams out of the running for Maggs, I think it's possible he will get squeezed. Something in a 5-year $50-$55M area perhaps?

batmanZoSo
11-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Magglio doesn't make nearly as much as Ramirez. I wouldn't include him in that picture.

JRIG
11-01-2003, 05:41 PM
I would be shocked, shocked if Mags got more than $10 million. The market has changed, big time, since his last deal.

joecrede
11-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I would be shocked, shocked if Mags got more than $10 million. The market has changed, big time, since his last deal.

Yeah, I was probably too generous @ 5/$50-5M. I get the feeling that teams aren't going to overpay for middle-infielders anymore much less corner OF'ers. In that regard, it will be interesting to see what Everett gets this year.

My revised prediction for Ordonez next year is 4/$37M. :D:

Dadawg_77
11-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Actually this means unless Mags sings with the Sox taking 4-5 million dollar pay cut he will not be on this team in 2005 and the Sox will not get any draft picks for him.

Let me explain, I don't believe the market will support a 15 million dollar contract for Mags, more of a 10 - 12 million dollar one. That reduction is more then 20% so the Sox would be foolish to offer Mags abritration next year. Editors note: The max reduction in pay from arbritration is 20%. If you don't offer arbritration then you do not recieve draft picks and can not sign the FA til May 1st. Thus the Sox if they don't trade Mags, will lose him after next year and get nothing in return.

joecrede
11-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Actually this means unless Mags sings with the Sox taking 4-5 million dollar pay cut he will not be on this team in 2005 and the Sox will not get any draft picks for him.

Let me explain, I don't believe the market will support a 15 million dollar contract for Mags, more of a 10 - 12 million dollar one. That reduction is more then 20% so the Sox would be foolish to offer Mags abritration next year. Editors note: The max reduction in pay from arbritration is 20%. If you don't offer arbritration then you do not recieve draft picks and can not sign the FA til May 1st. Thus the Sox if they don't trade Mags, will lose him after next year and get nothing in return.

Good point about arbitration/compensation. I really think the right thing to do would be to deal Mags now.

Should they offer arbitration to Everett?

Daver
11-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Good point about arbitration/compensation. I really think the right thing to do would be to deal Mags now.

Should they offer arbitration to Everett?

Only if you get an agreement that he will refuse it.