PDA

View Full Version : Daily Southtown exclusive on renovations


Jerry_Manuel
11-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Palace of the fans (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/01-ds1.htm)

Tons of news.

batmanZoSo
11-01-2003, 04:13 PM
Beautiful.

I like this part especially..

Filling in the umpire's tunnel behind home plate with new seats and adding a club for fans behind home plate.

That's a small move but a good one. On TV you can't even see people behind home plate because the tunnel area is so large.

Converting unused suites into "activity areas."

A-ha! No more 20 million dollar storage facilities for us.

I think tiering the fan deck is very necessary. I'm 6'4/6'5 and I couldn't even see when I was up there. Standing area on the fence is a hot commodity.

The plans obtained by the Southtown....

--could that mean the official public plans are coming out soon? Maybe even tomorrow?

nasox
11-01-2003, 04:18 PM
WOW lots of info, and most of it sounds good. A couple of general comments/topics for discussion:

The two tiered renovation to the Fan Deck sounds sweet. From the many times I hung out there this season, it sounds like itll be pretty awesome however I don't want to have obstructed views from either tier.

The article says only 6 rows have been removed yet by the pictuers I have seen, it looks like at leas 2-4 more rows.

It says a "new roof and light system similar to old Comiskey will be installed." This sounds really sweet. new lights are welcome because the old ones were really blah.

Converting unused suites into "activity areas." at least they are doing something with those suites.

Also, will the outdoor suite seating become ugly and obtrusive on the stadium? I have doubts about this one.

I also have doubts about the proposed club for ticket holders behind home plate. There is a Stadium Club, you know.

And, what will take the place of the old team offices and where will the new offices be built?

Discuss please.

MRKARNO
11-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by nasox
I also have doubts about the proposed club for ticket holders behind home plate. There is a Stadium Club, you know.


As someone who has stadium club passes, I can tell you that it would be MUCH better if they had an additional club behind homeplate. The view from the current stadium club is not all that great.

Joel Perez
11-01-2003, 05:32 PM
Wow...the Ms and I are making plans to fly up to Chicago in August or September next year...can't wait to see the old ballpark, since I haven't been there since 1998.

Makes me damn proud to be a Sox fan.

:gulp: Shiner Bocks to all my friends.

SouthSideHitman
11-01-2003, 07:10 PM
I've been saying that we should remove the seats behind homeplate forever and I'm glad to see that it'll finally happen. This gives the TV shot more personality and gives the fans more lower-deck seats. Speaking of which, the article spoke of even more LD seats below the current first row, which is awesome, it'll help replace the lost UD seats with better seats. There isn't any really bad seats in the LD, so the more, closer seats, the better.

The only thing not mentioned in the article was the removal of the giant ramps over 35th street and the grand entrance in left and who knows, those might not even be out of the picture in coming years. I'm psyched. I just hope that these improvements get the Cell improved media coverage and respect that it deserves.

Huisj
11-01-2003, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure I totally understand what they're talking about with the seats being added in the last row of the lower level. Do they mean way in the back by the concours area, or down in front by the field? Adding more seats by the field sounds cool at first, but you also don't want the stadium to lose too much foul ground, because that can be a pitcher's advantage. I kind of like big foul grounds.

DrCrawdad
11-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
I've been saying that we should remove the seats behind homeplate forever and I'm glad to see that it'll finally happen. This gives the TV shot more personality and gives the fans more lower-deck seats. Speaking of which, the article spoke of even more LD seats below the current first row, which is awesome, it'll help replace the lost UD seats with better seats. There isn't any really bad seats in the LD, so the more, closer seats, the better.

The only thing not mentioned in the article was the removal of the giant ramps over 35th street and the grand entrance in left and who knows, those might not even be out of the picture in coming years. I'm psyched. I just hope that these improvements get the Cell improved media coverage and respect that it deserves.

When will they finish the section behind homeplate? The sooner the better on that, because it will seriously improve the visuals on TV.

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-01-2003, 08:55 PM
I am a bit upset. :whiner: I see no mention of bringing back the urinal troft. A fan favorite of years past! :gulp:

Huisj
11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
the trough scared me to death when i was 5. yuck

Daver
11-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
I am a bit upset. :whiner: I see no mention of bringing back the urinal troft. A fan favorite of years past! :gulp:

The trough is a violation of IL. and Chicago plumbing codes.

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The trough is a violation of IL. and Chicago plumbing codes.

Advancements in science sometimes really blow. :gulp:


It's not like the line in the bathrooms get all that backed up that often at the Cell but when they do, that troft could really help a line go down fast. And that's good after about 20 beers!

duke of dorwood
11-01-2003, 10:35 PM
I cant wait to see if we really get "Old Comiskey" type light towers

SaltyPretzel
11-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Considering that the upper deck will still be significantly higher than that of old Comiskey, I doubt it. Hopefully, it will look more "old school" though.

IronFisk
11-02-2003, 12:49 AM
I kind of like big foul grounds. [/B][/QUOTE]

Then you GOTTA like Oakland! Naw, the closer the better.

As for the rest, it was a nice birthday present for me to read this. Eliminating that horrid tunnel behind home plate will be FANtastic, and I like adding a balcony to the lower level suites. Yeah, they may be snobs, but it's better to have them out watching the game with us all then stuck behind glass.

With that home run porch added, this will be a LOUD place to play. Ima gettin' geeked!

:)

soxnut
11-02-2003, 01:05 AM
I am glad that they are going to put seats behind home. Doing that, and hopefuly having green walls(wishful thinking), will really make the park more television friendly. :smile:

doogiec
11-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by nasox
And, what will take the place of the old team offices and where will the new offices be built?

Discuss please.

I heard about a year ago from someone who seemed to be in the know that the Sox were going to build an office building behind left field that would have a roof at about the same level as the first row of upper deck seats.

This person was involved in the "Fundamentals" and Sox training centers, and said the roof would be used for an expanded area of "Fundamentals" replacing the areas under the ramps on the first base side. During games, the area would also serve as standing room for Upper Deck.

I have also heard speculation that the area would house a public restaurant (similar to the Front Row restaurants in Milw, AZ and Texas) overlooking left field, in addition to the White Sox team offices.

This would also tie into the concept of reconfiguring the ramps that has been speculated on elsewhere.

FYI, this conversation was about a year ago, BEFORE the funding was obtained from US Cellular, so it certainly could have changed.

vegyrex
11-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
the trough scared me to death when i was 5. yuck

And me when I was 8. I always avoided the damn thing.

vegyrex
11-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Daver
The trough is a violation of IL. and Chicago plumbing codes.

Thank god for that. :smile:

GoSox2K3
11-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Daver
The trough is a violation of IL. and Chicago plumbing codes.

Anyone who misses the troughs can go experience them at Wrigley - and we know from Cub fans and the Chicago media that everything about Wrigley is perfect.

anewman35
11-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by doogiec
I heard about a year ago from someone who seemed to be in the know that the Sox were going to build an office building behind left field that would have a roof at about the same level as the first row of upper deck seats.

This person was involved in the "Fundamentals" and Sox training centers, and said the roof would be used for an expanded area of "Fundamentals" replacing the areas under the ramps on the first base side. During games, the area would also serve as standing room for Upper Deck.


I've seen the Sox mention a "Fundamentals" deck in left in a few of their releases about this, and couldn't figure out how it would work. Well, I guess this is how. I like it. I can't wait to see it.

soxnut
11-02-2003, 11:43 AM
You know, I think on ESD's website, they mention about a new fundamentals in the outfield area somewhere, and improved offices. I hope that is what they are talking about. If that is the case, then maybe the renderings Hangar had on here are close to the reality. I guess we'll know that stuff in a couple of weeks or sooner...I hope. :smile:

TDog
11-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by nasox
...
Also, will the outdoor suite seating become ugly and obtrusive on the stadium? I have doubts about this one.

I also have doubts about the proposed club for ticket holders behind home plate. There is a Stadium Club, you know....

During the 1980s and 1990s, I used to drive to Anaheim on weekends when the Sox came to town. (In those days the Sox usually won.) In 1997, the stadium was working on in-season renovations, with ushers wearing hard hats and apologizing for the dust. In 1998, the park was completely different, but there was one thing I didn't like. The area behind home plate had turned into a season-ticket open-air restaurant.

One of the things I hate about Miller Park in Milwaukee is the lower-deck luxury boxes, which are located at the back of the lower-deck seats and separates most of the concourse from the game on the field.

Replacing the Cell's umpires' tunnel with seats would be a good change. Otherwise, the lower bowl is the strength of the park and shouldn't be messed with.

I also don't like the idea of a right-field second deck because it would ruin the right-field lower deck seats. Sit in the right field bleachers in Milwaukee next spring if you dispute this.

I am afraid some of these renovations in reaction to complaints about the park will only provide different things for people to complain about.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-02-2003, 12:43 PM
I wonder if those seats behind home plate will be the larger, cushioned seats that a lot of parks have. When I was at the sox games in TB, they had a "Kane's Club" or something where the seats were closed off by a little gate with an usher and they had much nicer seats. Of course, to sit in those seats it only costed $175 each compared to the lower deck seats on the 3rd base line by the Sox only costed like $24.

SouthSideHitman
11-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I am glad that they are going to put seats behind home. Doing that, and hopefuly having green walls(wishful thinking), will really make the park more television friendly. :smile:

Although I like green seats and green walls would be allright, I think that the Sox should paint the walls black all the way around the park. It looked really sharp where they did it last year and if they get rid of those stupid fireworks and paintings of fielders where the walls transitioned back into blue, it would be a great overall effect on the park. It'd make for a cool TV shot of the plate too.

nasox
11-02-2003, 02:41 PM
regardless of what is being done to the stadium, i am excited because it is a change from the old and it might be better or worse but its still cool that they are changing the stadium

ewokpelts
11-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by TDog
One of the things I hate about Miller Park in Milwaukee is the lower-deck luxury boxes, which are located at the back of the lower-deck seats and separates most of the concourse from the game on the field.

I also don't like the idea of a right-field second deck because it would ruin the right-field lower deck seats. Sit in the right field bleachers in Milwaukee next spring if you dispute this.



Yeah..teh right field bleachers kinda sucked because of the homer porch..but then again, they're still cheaper than miller park's terrace box seats, something we cant say about our bleachers/upper deck box prices.
Gene

batmanZoSo
11-02-2003, 03:54 PM
southsidehitman,

That's a good idea. I used to be in favor of green, but it's not that realistic to expect them to either paint or replace all the seats in the park. With the new roof being black to go with the scoreboards, they should do the same to all the fences. And definitely get rid of those ads on the walls that seem to come up from the ground. Those things are ugly.

Everything that's blue and soft, should be changed to black, well charcoal grey is a more accurate description of the color scheme they're going with elsewhere. Seats remain blue. It would look great on TV. I think it would really speak S-O-X when you see it. And it would be the only park without any color walls other than blue or green.

TDog
11-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Yeah..teh right field bleachers kinda sucked because of the homer porch..but then again, they're still cheaper than miller park's terrace box seats, something we cant say about our bleachers/upper deck box prices.
Gene

The right-field bleachers in Miller park are cheaper than the $24 right-fied seats and $22 bleachers at the Cell for several reasons. They cost $10 last season, for bench seating. Some of bleacher seats at the Cell have obstructed views because of recent improvements to the park. All of the bleacher seats in Milwaukee are priced lower because they are much worse seats. You can't see the main scoreboard. You can't see fly balls. If you're sitting back a few rows, there are posts to block your view. You can't hear very much either. The upper duck above you creates a weird set of acoustics. I only sat in that section because it is above the visitor's bullpen. School groups go there during the week because the tickets are cheap and the location is isolated. Apparently the team sells so few of them that they are willing to discount to weekday groups. They are easily worse than any seats at the Cell, but they are not the worst seats in Miller Park.

Maybe the Dew Deck looks cool on television, but I hope the redesign of Chicago's south side ballpark takes into consideration what it already has done well. For example, I love the walkways over 35th Street. When I left games the last four seasons, I had to hit the Dan Ryan for Wisconsin or Indiana. No matter how big the crowd, if I got there early enough to park in Lots A or B, I wouldn't have any trouble hitting the highway. The walkways over the street provided a real convenience.