PDA

View Full Version : Guillen gets 2nd interview with the Sox:

ChiSox14305635
11-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Guillen gets 2nd interview with the Sox (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031031soxloaiza,1,5835341.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

A few excerpts:

Sources said Guillen flew back to Chicago on Friday to meet with team Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

Gaston still is considered the favorite, but now he appears to have serious competition

I just hope this isn't a "thanks for showing interest" type of interview. Be frank and honest with both upfront. That way, if one doesn't work out for some reason, we might always go back to the other down the road.

batmanZoSo
11-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Wow, this has been a fun week for Ozzie. Three days ago KW took him to the go karts, and yesterday to Great America Fright Fest.

CubKilla
11-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Maybe JR got upset with KW's rumored 1-2 hour O'Hare interview and requested Ozzie to come back and demanded KW to give Ozzie equal interview time comparable to Cito.

nasox
11-01-2003, 01:35 PM
YAY Go Ozzie!!

Saracen
11-01-2003, 01:42 PM
HOORAY!! Go Ozzie!

TaylorStSox
11-01-2003, 01:44 PM
I'm in favor of Ozzie but I'm also in favor of rebuilding. Why bring the core of this team back while raising the payroll? They've proven that they won't win. We've been the most talented team in this division for the last 3 years and we don't have much to show for it.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
I'm in favor of Ozzie but I'm also in favor of rebuilding. Why bring the core of this team back while raising the payroll? They've proven that they won't win. We've been the most talented team in this division for the last 3 years and we don't have much to show for it.

Okay, this just *begs* the question. If you sincerely believe we have the most talent in the division and we should rebuild because we have nothing to show for it what on earth do you hope to achieve with less talent than the competition?

Getting rid of the manager fixes your problem, not rebuilding.

TaylorStSox
11-01-2003, 02:06 PM
I don't expect to win now. I'd rather be Cleveland than Chicago. They're going to be a power house in the next few years and they did it the right way. I'd rather have a legit shot at winning the whole thing than patch a team together that struggles to make the post season. I'd rather lose while watching guys that play their heart out and actually take pride in the fact that they play for the Sox. I watched 162 games this year and I saw a team that looked heartless and pathetic for at least 40% of the time. I don't believe that any manager can make this team care. That's just my opinion.

nasox
11-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
HOORAY!! Go Ozzie!

copy cat

batmanZoSo
11-01-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't expect to win now. I'd rather be Cleveland than Chicago. They're going to be a power house in the next few years...

Sound like us around 1999 doesn't it?

TaylorStSox
11-01-2003, 04:20 PM
I think its been the same since 1920.

lowesox
11-01-2003, 08:55 PM
I want Ozzie too. If they hire Cito we'll be in for 3 years of losing and 2.5 years of "fire cito gaston" posts.

Everybody will love Guillen - and we'll win with him.

Daver
11-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I want Ozzie too. If they hire Cito we'll be in for 3 years of losing and 2.5 years of "fire cito gaston" posts.

Everybody will love Guillen - and we'll win with him.

Yeah,rookie undisciplined managers always win.

Gimme a break.

poorme
11-01-2003, 09:14 PM
For Ozzie's sake, I hope he winds up in a better job. This one is a career killer.

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-01-2003, 09:22 PM
I'd rather be Cleveland than Chicago. That's just my opinion.

Read that. :o: I would never rather be Cleveland than Chicago.
Now when talking about the Indians or our Chi Sox, that is a different topic. Not that I agree.
:gulp:

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Yeah,rookie undisciplined managers always win.

Gimme a break.

Don't you think it would be a nice change to see a manager with the spark plug in his butt attitude than having another manager in a long line of "pass me my blankie, I am tired" types.
ie. Lamont, JM, CG
We did have Bevington but he was always jumping around calling out pitchers that weren't even warming up yet.

Daver
11-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool

We did have Bevington but he was always jumping around calling out pitchers that weren't even warming up yet.

Ozzie= Beavington with an accent.

Tragg
11-01-2003, 10:04 PM
I think both are poor choices

Why have we narrowed the search to these two?

mrwag
11-01-2003, 10:07 PM
The last time this team showed any heart and any real talent was when Torborg was here. He gets my vote.

Tragg
11-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
The last time this team showed any heart and any real talent was when Torborg was here. He gets my vote.

Boy those teams sure did show a lot of heart - a lot more than the more mature Lamont teams did.
However, I think Manuel's y2k team showed a lot of heart too

Mammoo
11-02-2003, 12:14 AM
I don't expect to win now...
I'd rather be Cleveland than Chicago...
They're going to be a power house in the next few years...
They did it the right way...
I'd rather lose while watching guys that play their heart out...

OK, boys and girls, cast you vote for this year's marketing slogan! :D:

The winner gets a brick from New Comiskey Park!

crector
11-02-2003, 12:52 AM
I don't expect to win now. I'd rather be Cleveland than Chicago. They're going to be a power house in the next few years and they did it the right way. I'd rather have a legit shot at winning the whole thing than patch a team together that struggles to make the post season. I'd rather lose while watching guys that play their heart out and actually take pride in the fact that they play for the Sox. I watched 162 games this year and I saw a team that looked heartless and pathetic for at least 40% of the time. I don't believe that any manager can make this team care. That's just my opinion.

Oh please. Cleveland's a joke. They radically downsized their team and are doing things as a strictly small market team with a budget to match. Now, that approach if done right can move them back into contention eventually, but for the next few years at least they will be in no position to rise any higher than 3rd.

TaylorStSox
11-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Obviously you dont know much about Cleveland's farm system or their current team. They were average with a bunch of rookies this year. Just wait!

I'm just saying that the state of Cleveland's organization is much better than our's.

RedPinStripes
11-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by crector
Oh please. Cleveland's a joke. They radically downsized their team and are doing things as a strictly small market team with a budget to match. Now, that approach if done right can move them back into contention eventually, but for the next few years at least they will be in no position to rise any higher than 3rd.

You will learn to hate the Indians real quick like you did when they beat the hell out of the Sox through the 90's . They've got a much better team then you think.

joecrede
11-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by crector

I'm not all that impressed with the position prospects I've seen for the Indians. Broussard, Blake, and Haffner don't look to be anything extraordinary at their positions. Gerut is 25 and is more likely to be a solid player than he is a star and Phillips has been a disappointment so far. Bradley can be a top player at his position, but will the Indians have the patience to deal with his questionable attitude?

In short, these are not the Belle, Ramirez, Thome, Giles type offensive prospects they had in the early-to-mid 90's.

As far as pitching goes, Lee, Traber, and Davis, look ok (Lee is the best of the bunch I think), but none of them project as #1 starters and CC Sabathia has regressed somewhat.

I think the Indians are a third place team for the forseeable future.