PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - Loaiza Option Exercised

hold2dibber
10-31-2003, 01:25 PM
As expected, the Sox exercised Loaiza's '04 $4 million option today. For those who are Tribune registered, here's the link. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031031soxloaiza,1,5835341.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Nick@Nite
10-31-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
As expected, the Sox exercised Loaiza's '04 $4 million option today. For those who are Tribune registered, here's the link. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031031soxloaiza,1,5835341.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Good... now, let's all hope NEXT year is his career year :smile: .

OneDog
10-31-2003, 01:44 PM
Great!

Now let's get another starter to go with him (Pettite, Millwood)

Unregistered
10-31-2003, 01:51 PM
OK, so who's WSI designated hater of this move?

RKMeibalane
10-31-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

I'm sure that bc2k will be around later to complain.

Brian26
10-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

Exactly. Actually, WSI-style would be to applaud this move right now. However, at the time of the All-Star break next year when Loaiza's 4-12 with a 5.30 ERA, we'll hear about how everyone knew 2003 was a fluke year (just like the 2000 White Sox) and Loaiza just had to come back to earth and it was a total waste of $4 million dollars.

batmanZoSo
10-31-2003, 02:14 PM
This is just another episode in the long line of offseason bumblings by Sox management, and many more are sure to come. The guy was a fluke, period. There's no way he's gonna even come close to winning 21 games in 2004. My prediction--9-14 4.68. There are number of better things we could do with that 4 million dollars. It's gonna be a long year.

The preceeding should be visualized in teal.

hold2dibber
10-31-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by OneDog
Great!

Now let's get another starter to go with him (Pettite, Millwood)

The problem with the FA market for starting pitchers right now is, there's no real world beater out there that seems like a good fit for the Sox (other than Colon, who obviously isn't coming back). Pettite will either decide to move home to Texas and sign with one of the 2 Texas teams, or he will stay with the Yankees, who are low on starting pitching and can offer more $ and a better chance to win than the Sox (or any other team for that matter). Milwood, IMHO, is not worth the money he is likely to command. His ERA was over 4.00 in the NL this year, which would probably translate to 4.25 or something in the AL. He's good, don't get me wrong. But I'd rather have Ponson for $6 mm than Millwood for $10 mm.

bc2k
10-31-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I'm sure that bc2k will be around later to complain.

What the fisk are you talking about? I don't rip on good players.

Why would you say such a thing? Maybe you're born with it; maybe it's Meibalane (http://www.maybelline.com/).

Brian26
10-31-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The problem with the FA market right now is, there's no real world beater out there....

And after Shammy exercised his option today, there's no wife beater out there either.

Thank you.

Thank you very much. I'll be appearing at Knuckleheads (tm) next Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Rocky Soprano
10-31-2003, 02:39 PM
Great news. Hopefully he has another good year!

Dadawg_77
10-31-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Note to all WSI users:

I am not a moderator, but I believe I speak for them when I say that bypassing the language filter is a direct violation of the rules and regulations of this web-site. It won't be tolerated, and several users have already been warned one more than one occasion to stop doing it.

Thank you.

I am not sure fisk falls under that. I think the rule means no 1 instead of an i or one * for a u or something like that.

E Lo probally did have a career year but there no way the Sox couldn't pick up the option. It is for one year only, so if ELo goes in the tank it doesn't cost the Sox millions of years, like Koch. Even if E Lo preforms at half the level he was last year, it would worth the 3.5 or 4 next year.

miker
10-31-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
And after Shammy exercised his option today, there's no wife beater out there either.

I thought Wil Cordero had opted for FA...

nasox
11-01-2003, 02:57 PM
why do we all hate bc2k? All he is is the reincarnation of Jay Marriotti as a sox fan. :D:

nasox
11-01-2003, 02:59 PM
and, to be relevant to the thread, loaiza better win at least 15 for 4 mill IMO.

JRIG
11-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by nasox
and, to be relevant to the thread, loaiza better win at least 15 for 4 mill IMO.

Loaiza will win 0 games if the offense never scores a run.

ERA, people, it's all about ERA. If Loaiza's under 4.00 next year, we're golden. At that point victories will be pretty much dependent on how many runs the offense scores for him.

CubKilla
11-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Loaiza will win 0 games if the offense never scores a run.

Unfortunately, Loaiza knows all about this all too well. It is really a shame that there has to be discussion amongst the Cy Young voters about who should be the AL Cy Young when a 21-game winner lost 2 games to the Detroit Tigers 1-0.

But, so goes life.

34 Inch Stick
11-03-2003, 12:24 PM
I think the Sox should consider extending Loiza through at least '05. There are still many doubters out there so his market value is not that of the ordinary Cy Young candidate. I think he would be happy to take the security of a 2 year contract (I'd extend it to three with a club option for 4) at 5 million per now rather that risk the future.

Even at 5 million if he won 15 games he would be considered fairly good value. There is a lot of crap out there right now pitching for 4 million.