PDA

View Full Version : further sins of the Cubbune

soxruleEP
10-31-2003, 12:59 PM
In this morning's Cubbune, two further insults to the Sox:

Their take on Frank's exercising his option: someone else must go to meet the Sox' self-imposed salary cap (which does seem a little low considering the increase in attendance and the fact that the Sox have one of the Top ten television/radio contracts).

On the Tempo page, home of a number of their stealth anti-Sox attacks, we find this tidbit in a supposedly satirical piece on "scary sights around Chicago":

SCARY: Frank Thomas returning to the White Sox.

Why that is particularly scary--or scary at all--is never explained. I guess everybody is supposed to know why and be in on the joke.

I think this could have been added:

SCARY: The minuscule collars around the necks of the SCrubs as they choked away a 3-1 lead.

SCARY: Idiot SCrub fans attacking one of their harmless geeky own.

Those would have been much scarier.

batmanZoSo
10-31-2003, 01:09 PM
One of the top 20 hitters who ever lived is returning to the only ballclub he's ever known--and for a miniscule 6 million dollars. Life is a #####.

http://www.mordor.ch/pantera/grfx/screaming.gif

Poorrrrrrrrrrrrqueeeeeeeee?!!!!!!!!!!!

alohafri
10-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Maybe they meant, scary for the opposing team.....

(Mrs. Aloha)

Dadawg_77
10-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
Maybe they meant, scary for the opposing team.....

(Mrs. Aloha)

I know that is in teal, but that is how I would take that statement.

bobj4400
10-31-2003, 04:01 PM
They should have put this under SCARY:

Scam-ME* Soso returning to the Cubs for a ridiculous $37 million.

An unbiased report would note that Frank is a much greater value.

Lip Man 1
11-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Sox Rule:

Just wondering why you think the Tribune was wrong for making the comment on the Sox salary structure?

The Sox payroll limitations ARE self imposed by their owner. (FYI the average MLB team payroll is now 70 million dollars. That's the median number.)

The Sox did draw almost 2 million last year

and the Sox TV / radio money I believe, is 5th in MLB behind the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs.

Seems to me that Tribune comment on the payroll was dead on.

Lip

soxruleEP
11-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sox Rule:

Just wondering why you think the Tribune was wrong for making the comment on the Sox salary structure?

The Sox payroll limitations ARE self imposed by their owner. (FYI the average MLB team payroll is now 70 million dollars. That's the median number.)

The Sox did draw almost 2 million last year

and the Sox TV / radio money I believe, is 5th in MLB behind the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs.

Seems to me that Tribune comment on the payroll was dead on.

Lip

My point here is that the Cubbune ALWAYS spins the story the worst way possible.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2003, 10:19 PM
But were the comments true or not?

Lip

soxruleEP
11-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
But were the comments true or not?

Lip

And truth is the standard by which the Cubbune is judged?

I surrender Lip--you are correct that given the self-imposed salary cap (which I think is more a free-agent cost negotiating device given there was no way to meet it with the offer they made Colon) something has to give.

My point is that the Cubbune would never have presented the story the same way for their own property.

And linked with the "scary item" on the tempo page, it epecially rubbed my rubarb.