soxnut
10-31-2003, 10:34 AM
another

soxnut
10-31-2003, 10:35 AM
one more

soxnut
10-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Those supposrt really stand out. It remeinds me of the days when the ballpark was being built. :smile:

anewman35
10-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Wow. I think my mouth is hanging open. I can't wait to see this finished.

Rocky Soprano
10-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Im sure someone posted this already but, when do they plan to be finished?

Irishsox1
10-31-2003, 10:41 AM
I still can't believe they are ripping out part of the upperdeck. It's such a great move. Now what is the tribune corp. going to complain about?

soxnut
10-31-2003, 10:42 AM
It's really an amazing site, especially to see it in person. I remember the press conference that the Sox had about the naming rights deal. JR said that the renovations would be dramatic and we would be overwhelmed. So, when people lok at these pics, you'd have to say JR will be right on target with those comments. :smile:

dpbyron
10-31-2003, 10:48 AM
The view from the Rock Island train is very good. You can already tell that it is going to make a dramatic difference!

hold2dibber
10-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Great job Soxnut - thanks!

A.T. Money
10-31-2003, 10:54 AM
Everything is looking sweet. The shorter the stadium is, the better.

I think it'll make a more intimate feeling indeed, especially if they replaced those seats with a right field deck next year. This place will be LOOOOOOUD!

Brian26
10-31-2003, 11:13 AM
WOW. Those are amazing photos. Nice job, thanks!

Jess1210
10-31-2003, 11:14 AM
Nice work Soxnut! Man, things are moving along quickly...that place is gonna look great. I can't wait to see the view next summer from the inside.

:)

hold2dibber
10-31-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Everything is looking sweet. The shorter the stadium is, the better.

I think it'll make a more intimate feeling indeed, especially if they replaced those seats with a right field deck next year. This place will be LOOOOOOUD!

That's a great point. Despite its design, the Cell already can get pretty loud, even when the crowd isn't particularly large. With the lower UD and the roof/overhang covering the new lower UD, that place will get raucous.

Randar68
10-31-2003, 11:20 AM
Great pics! Keep us update and keep the pics flowing. It's greatly appreciated!

One request... Can you save those in the Picture Gallery? I think you can save them as larger images there, the current ones are so small it's a bit hard to make out details...

Thanks again!

soxnut
10-31-2003, 11:25 AM
I will keep it up every week, if I can. :smile:

voodoochile
10-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Great pics! Keep us update and keep the pics flowing. It's greatly appreciated!

One request... Can you save those in the Picture Gallery? I think you can save them as larger images there, the current ones are so small it's a bit hard to make out details...

Thanks again!

That would be appreciated and actually the proper way to do things. Then the weekly update could be a link to the gallery instead of a thread with several different pictures uploaded.

batmanZoSo
10-31-2003, 11:39 AM
I drove by for the first time last night, but all I could see was a fleeting glimpse of the beams against the black sky. It's amazing how fast they're doing this. When I first heard the tentative plans for doing this I wasn't sure if it were possible.

Foulke You
10-31-2003, 11:45 AM
I can't wait to see the finished product on opening day. It is too bad they couldn't put the HR porch in this year as well. Somehow, I still think media members are going to find something to complain about this park though. I can hear it now...

:moron
"Another round of feeble renovations for the ballmall. A huge mistake of a ballpark that no amount of changes can help. Obviously, this eyesore of a ballpark can't compare to the splendor of Wrigley even with it's fancy new canopy roof. In a perfect world, this ballpark would be torn down and a replica of Wrigley Field built in the South Loop."

voodoochile
10-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I drove by for the first time last night, but all I could see was a fleeting glimpse of the beams against the black sky. It's amazing how fast they're doing this. When I first heard the tentative plans for doing this I wasn't sure if it were possible.

Chicago has lots of experience with big projects. They redid SF in 21 months and the "experts" said it couldn'g be done...

MarqSox
10-31-2003, 12:00 PM
I support the renovations ... but am I the only one here who thinks the exterior of the stadium looked better with a tall, imposing upper deck? I dunno, aesthetically speaking, I don't think shorter is better. But it sounds like I'm in the minority on that one.

Randar68
10-31-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I support the renovations ... but am I the only one here who thinks the exterior of the stadium looked better with a tall, imposing upper deck? I dunno, aesthetically speaking, I don't think shorter is better. But it sounds like I'm in the minority on that one.

It won't look as gargantuan from the expressway, where you're already 20-30 feet below ground level!

CubKilla
10-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Im sure someone posted this already but, when do they plan to be finished?

The contractor's have until Opening Day like the last few renovation projects according to a worker I talked to a few days ago. I sometimes work near USCF so I stopped by and asked one of them. Some of what needs to be done is contingent on how harsh the '03-'04 winter is going to be.

A.T. Money
10-31-2003, 12:04 PM

Shorter is better because it's so huge in that area. It just stands out from the expressway. I think if it were a little shorter, it would have a more intimate feeling if they were ever to build anything around it, which is a pipedream anyway.

anewman35
10-31-2003, 12:06 PM

Well, the look now isn't the final look...I'm sure it'll look a lot better once the new roof is on, with the arched windows or whatever they decide to use.

CubKilla
10-31-2003, 12:08 PM

I think the exterior of the ballpark will look a whole lot better if they go ahead and remove the pedestrian ramps outside USCF. The upper deck as it was was impressive but not practical. The casual fan bought into the hype perpetuated by the Chicago Media. USCF will be better off doing what they are doing now and righting the wrong. I also think the exterior will look more like old Comiskey Park with both a lowered upper deck and the removal of the pedestrian ramps.

anewman35
10-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I think the exterior of the ballpark will look a whole lot better if they go ahead and remove the pedestrian ramps outside USCF.

One of the computer renderings seemed to show them doing this, although I can't see how it would be practical - there needs to be a way to get people to the upper deck, and I can't see how they could fit ramps like that in the stadium itself without pretty much gutting the place, which isn't happening.

ewokpelts
10-31-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I think the exterior of the ballpark will look a whole lot better if they go ahead and remove the pedestrian ramps outside USCF. The upper deck as it was was impressive but not practical. The casual fan bought into the hype perpetuated by the Chicago Media. USCF will be better off doing what they are doing now and righting the wrong. I also think the exterior will look more like old Comiskey Park with both a lowered upper deck and the removal of the pedestrian ramps.

seeing as how the pedestrian ramps serve both the lower deck and upperdeck, how do you propose people get in and out of the park. They cant change everything.
Gene

Fisk Fan
10-31-2003, 12:19 PM
:moron
"Another round of feeble renovations for the ballmall. A huge mistake of a ballpark that no amount of changes can help. Obviously, this eyesore of a ballpark can't compare to the splendor of Wrigley even with it's fancy new canopy roof. In a perfect world, this ballpark would be torn down and a replica of Wrigley Field built in the South Loop." [/B][/QUOTE]

LMAO! Sounds like something the Moron would write.....and probably will.

dickallen15
10-31-2003, 12:20 PM
What would happen is the ramps would be inside the park, where the current offices are. They would move the offices to a new building outside the players parking lot.

CubKilla
10-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
seeing as how the pedestrian ramps serve both the lower deck and upperdeck, how do you propose people get in and out of the park. They cant change everything.
Gene

That's for the architects to figure out. I'm just saying that there is some great arched window architecture currently outside USCF that is currently obstructed by concrete pedestrian ramps.

batmanZoSo
10-31-2003, 12:27 PM
FoulkeYou,

Either you are Mariotti and you're testing out your stuff, or you just really freaked him out. Beautiful.

batmanZoSo
10-31-2003, 12:31 PM
voodoo,

If there's a will, there's a way.

Chicago does get #### done, and fast. The thing is, though, I had never heard of removing rows off an upper deck and I mainly wondered if it was gonna be economically feasible when they first brought this stuff up in 2000 or so. And to be done in offseason? Whoa.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-31-2003, 12:41 PM
My 7 y.o. daughter and I sat in the UD for a Sunday game at the Cell this past summer. As I noted here at the time, she was genuinely excited to "finally get to sit up there with all those other people." I found the view perfectly acceptable for everything except judging the trajectory of pop flies.

With the changes they are making to the upper deck for 2004, I can honestly say I find the prospect of "sitting up there with all those other people" quite exciting myself. I really love the idea of arched window at my back, just like at Old Comiskey

:cool:

SouthBendSox
10-31-2003, 01:24 PM
i will miss the old deck

booooooo

BeerHandle
10-31-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
October 30:

Soxnut:

Thanks for the photo's. Please keep updating us as the renovations continue!

BeerHandle

Foulke You
10-31-2003, 03:18 PM
FoulkeYou,

Either you are Mariotti and you're testing out your stuff, or you just really freaked him out. Beautiful.

Thanks, while I'm definitely not Mariotti, he retreads most of the same sayings in every article and I've comitted them to memory for future Mariotti mocking purposes. :D:

Mariotti will never admit that our park looks nice. He'll never back off his "ballmall" comments even if they turned the Cell into the Roman Coliseum.

batmanZoSo
10-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Yeah, what you wrote is the quintessential Mariotti column regarding the Cell.

Even though I'm picking apart something he technically didn't say, he might as well have said it. He does repeat himself a lot. It's like he has a rolodex of self-made Sox bashing cliches and inserts them into his column and fills the space in between.

I can't count how many times he's said "...build a new stadium in the south loop." What?! Yeah, you're damn right that's a perfect world. It certainly isn't this one. I'm all about asking a lot from my owners, but that's so ridiculous it's not even worth talking about even in jest. He didn't say it this time, but he has before. And not just once.

And of course, he will say stuff like too little too late and that the renovations won't do any good. And the real problem is that we don't win enough. If we're good on the other hand, the problem will be the park and if we just paint the seats green, our attendance woes will disappear.

MiamiSpartan1
10-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
I still can't believe they are ripping out part of the upperdeck. It's such a great move. Now what is the tribune corp. going to complain about?

Believe me, they'll find something! I've always thought part of the complaints about US Cellular was just Cubbune propaganda aimed at the competition....

Nick@Nite
10-31-2003, 04:39 PM
October 30:

another

one more

Mucho appreciatio-ato! :smile:

hose
10-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Those supposrt really stand out. It remeinds me of the days when the ballpark was being built. :smile:

After seeing your photos I'm going to drive over to the park early tomorrow morning and have a look.

hose
11-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Got up this morning and headed straight for Comiskey, err the "Cell"....... WHOA !!!!

batmanZoSo
11-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Beer and lawn chairs. 35th and Veeck Drive.

We're gonna root our union boys on to victory.

A.T. Money
11-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Beer and lawn chairs. 35th and Veeck Drive.

We're gonna root our union boys on to victory.

You go boy! :D:

AsInWreck
11-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by hose
Got up this morning and headed straight for Comiskey, err the "Cell"....... WHOA !!!!

Hey, they're not paying us to call it US Cellular.

nasox
11-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

Hey, they're not paying us to call it US Cellular.

I can see it now: JR, would frantically call all media outlets to get fans to call the park "U.S Cellular Field." He would say with his fingers crossed, "I'll even pay you.*" And then, the reaction from the fans would be so negative that he would say, "Sorry, Ill just continue with my rebuilding plan which will certainly be finished in another 20 years.*" And the Cubune headlines would be: "Reindork screws up again" And the lines below that would read: "Tribune Co and Cubs win again" and "Cubs attendance to go up again" "Chicago loves their CUBBIES." And then on WSI we would all be in outrage, spewing our comments for a few hundred people to read. And then us "bonehead and poor sox fans" would crawl back into our hole.
Whew, after reading all of this crap, pass me a beer.

And lastly, in extremely small print in the classifieds, a small add would say: "Thank You Jerry
You have made the Tribune
VERY RICH!!!"

*Continuing the tradition of White Sox owners to promise pay or something else to people and then never pay them, cough, Charlie, cough.

hsnterprize
11-03-2003, 07:30 AM
It's really an amazing site, especially to see it in person. I remember the press conference that the Sox had about the naming rights deal. JR said that the renovations would be dramatic and we would be overwhelmed. So, when people lok at these pics, you'd have to say JR will be right on target with those comments. :smile: I talked with Jerry Reinsdorf PERSONALLY when I went to a game this year. He told me that the renovations to the ballpark would be "significant". He didn't specify anything, but it's good to see he meant what he said.

As much as I like to rip the guy, I'll give the fellow his props on this one. The Cell will be a great ballpark when this construction is all done.