PDA

View Full Version : Thomas to Stay

havelj
10-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Thomas staying with Sox
By Teddy Greenstein
Tribune staff reporter

October 30, 2003, 1:30 PM CST

Frank Thomas will return to the White Sox next season.

More details to come.
Copyright 2003, The Chicago Tribune

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Hooray!

Countdown to 500: 82!

fledgedrallycap
10-30-2003, 02:41 PM
Just heard it on the Score.

Good decision, Frank.

Unregistered
10-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Smart move, Frank. :smile:

LuvSox
10-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Finally some good news

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 02:45 PM
Dammit! new guy beat me to the news. Just got off
the phone with big frank :)

MiamiSpartan1
10-30-2003, 02:48 PM
GREAT NEWS! I just could not see him with another team.

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Im glad Hes Back. Thanks Frank

Tekijawa
10-30-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm gladd he's back... now let's get some pitching!!!

DrCrawdad
10-30-2003, 02:53 PM
I know there were reports that Frank would choose to leave, but I'm not surprised that he's staying.

Oh, now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that Sosa doesn't leave...

maurice
10-30-2003, 02:55 PM
:hawk
"HE (not) GONE!"

FRANK STAYS!

Foulke You
10-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Woo Hoo! Good news. Get me a middle reliever and a top flight starter now and I'll be a happy guy.

:hurt
"I'm back!"

Rocky Soprano
10-30-2003, 03:03 PM
YES!

Glad to hear its official!

Rocky Soprano
10-30-2003, 03:04 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/index.jsp?c_id=cws

CubKilla
10-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Woo Hoo! Good news. Get me a middle reliever and a top flight starter now and I'll be a happy guy.

:hurt
"I'm back!"

Frank's 6 million owed to him this season could have helped get you that. Now we're stuck another season with the SouthSide ShamME Soso.

Worst..... news..... ever. :angry:

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Frank's 6 million owed to him this season could have helped get you that. Now we're stuck another season with the SouthSide ShamME Soso.

Not if Cito plays him Exclusively at 1B this year ! :smile:

batmanZoSo
10-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Oh, Frank, I knew you had it in ya!

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 03:14 PM

How would we replace Thomas' offense then, and for 6 million dollars or less?

We were 7th in the league in runs scored last season. Losing your best hitter and replacing him with someone of lesser value is no way to improve an already mediocre offense.

Unregistered
10-30-2003, 03:19 PM
For every move the Sox make, there always has to be a designated hater of said move. CubKilla's just doing his part here at WSI... :D:

CubKilla
10-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Losing your best hitter and replacing him with someone of lesser value is no way to improve an already mediocre offense.

Thomas isn't this teams best hitter anymore.

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 03:22 PM

So how did he lead the team in OPS and runs created?

thepaulbowski
10-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
So how did he lead the team in OPS and runs created?

Those are just stats...they don't mean anything. :D:

pudge
10-30-2003, 03:27 PM
There could be worse news, CubKilla... Thomas does not destroy this lineup like Konerko did, or like Valentin does when he bats right-handed. I'd even say Magglio was not nearly as clutch in '03 as Thomas was. And as much as Thomas whines, he makes opposing pitchers work, which is more than most of our hitters can claim. He's got value that you can't really see on the surface. At any rate, I hope his salaray doesn't string us too thin...

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Those are just stats...they don't mean anything. :D:

Is that you Mark Twain?

StepsInSC
10-30-2003, 03:30 PM

Best news I've heard in a while.

Feel free to wallow in your self-crapulance with bc2k.

doublem23
10-30-2003, 03:45 PM
One thing to look forward to for next year.

Hurray for the Big Hurt!

RKMeibalane
10-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Good... good... (evil laugh).

bestkosher
10-30-2003, 03:51 PM
not that he is staying is there a possibility of a trade for some needed gap filler and a bag of balls. Thomas is ok, but until he settles into one swing for a whole year i do not trust his numbers.

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
not that he is staying is there a possibility of a trade for some needed gap filler and a bag of balls. Thomas is ok, but until he settles into one swing for a whole year i do not trust his numbers.

As long as he stays healthy, I don't see why you can't pencil him in for 30 homeruns, 100 Walks, and 100 RBIs.

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 03:56 PM

*****! Worst Post Ever! You should change your name to CubLuvva...

kraut83
10-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Woo Hoo! Somebody actually wants to play here next season!

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 03:57 PM

The numbers do NOT support your contention. However in either case, he is no worse than #2. Where are you going to replace that from?

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks Frank! Glad to hear you will be back.

I agree with whoever said it. Someone wants to play here next year. Maybe the haters should focus on that and GTF off their high horse...

joepoe
10-30-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by kraut83

He must be hiding an injury.

soxruleEP
10-30-2003, 04:22 PM
There is no comparison between Frank and Sammy Sosa.

soxfan26
10-30-2003, 04:42 PM
:)

I never figured to use that silly tag in any of my messages, but Big Frank just made me as happy as I can be.

So come out all ye naysayers, talk about his "diminished skills", his faulty swing, his lack of defensive ability, say he is overpaid, say it all, and say it right here at WSI...

Because when the man hits a walk off home run, your gonna cheer and drink a cold one, and that will expose your true colors you CUB FANS!!

woodenleg
10-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Finally some good news! Not that it was a surprise. I was having a bad week.

:gulp:

DSpivack
10-30-2003, 04:46 PM
finally some good news.

FarWestChicago
10-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
*****! Worst Post Ever! You should change your name to CubLuvva... Or bc2k. :D:

Twin Killing
10-30-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm a little surprised that so many people see this as good news. Given that everyone would agree that the clubhouse needs shaking up or a new attitude or whatever you want to call it (and that is the ONLY argument for Guillen as skipper).

Frank has been the single biggest cancer in the Sox clubhouse for years. I can't believe anyone who supports Guillen for manager (I don't) would be happy to see Frank back.

His production can be replaced and his attitude should be replaced. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that will happen.

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Twin Killing
I'm a little surprised that so many people see this as good news. Given that everyone would agree that the clubhouse needs shaking up or a new attitude or whatever you want to call it (and that is the ONLY argument for Guillen as skipper).

Frank has been the single biggest cancer in the Sox clubhouse for years. I can't believe anyone who supports Guillen for manager (I don't) would be happy to see Frank back.

His production can be replaced and his attitude should be replaced. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that will happen.

Pure rubbish, IMO.

You cannot replace Frank's number for $6M period. The attitude crap is just old and tired...

EDIT:

:whoflungpoo

SoxxoS
10-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by joepoe
He must be hiding an injury.

He's probably got a torn labrum.

Steve Bartman
10-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Cito, play him at first!

poorme
10-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Wow. Someone actually wants to play for the Sox. I'm flattered. Good news.

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Thomas may not be the Best Leader in the Clubhouse, but he
can lead the team, last year was a good example. He put his nose to the GrindStone and did Good. I blame the Media and Mariotti for the "bad in the clubhouse" BS. Notice how he hit,
and there was no talk of that.............

oheeoh...magglio
10-30-2003, 05:52 PM

It could be argued I suppose that Frank is the single biggest cancer in the sox clubhosue for years, but it could also be argued, or in my opinion is a fact, that Frank Thomas is THE GREATEST PLAYER in the HISTORY of the White Sox franchise. I wonder how the heck anybody could see this as bad news....42 and 103 last year IIRC, you can't get that for 6 million dollars these days, and just remember, his number could have been better if the moron tinkerer had kept him at 1st base all year. :D:

Twin Killing
10-30-2003, 05:55 PM
Pure rubbish, IMO.

You cannot replace Frank's number for $6M period. The attitude crap is just old and tired...

Attitude is a major problem with this team and Frank is an issue. When he put up numbers like he did in the early 90's, I can live with it. Those days are over. It obvious he was productive this year and that you can't perhaps plug one person into the DH role for 6M that would have equal numbers. I think that is short sighted.

That's just my opinion. I don't hate Frank, just would like to see the team finally rid itself of his selfish attitude and go in another direction. Sounds like a moot point anyway given his decision today.

Risk
10-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Great news. :) :gulp:

Now tell whichever automoton who becomes the next manager to play him at 1B, no more of this platooning Konerko/Daubach at 1B and making Frank everyday DH.

Risk

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Attitude is a major problem with this team and Frank is an issue. When he put up numbers like he did in the early 90's, I can live with it. Those days are over. It obvious he was productive this year and that you can't perhaps plug one person into the DH role for 6M that would have equal numbers. I think that is short sighted.

That's just my opinion. I don't hate Frank, just would like to see the team finally rid itself of his selfish attitude and go in another direction. Sounds like a moot point anyway given his decision today.

Can you explain what you mean about his "selfish attitude"? I don't see it, but I also am biased.

Examples of this behavior would be great.

Twin Killing
10-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
just remember, his number could have been better if the moron tinkerer had kept him at 1st base all year. :D:

A perfect example of Frank's attitude. He has no desire to play first despite the numbers that suggest he should. Forget about what is best for the team. A manager forces him to play first and as soon as he boots a few balls, he in a funk and you have an issue in the clubhouse. We've been there before.

JRIG
10-30-2003, 06:04 PM

If you had been in the White Sox Clubhouse the past two years, you would know Frank is about the furthest thing from a "clubhouse cancer" there is. Frank's teammates were always in good spirits around him and never seemed afraid to approach him. I can't speak for the mid-90s, but recently Frank seems to be a great presence in the clubhouse.

On a lighter note, a good way to celebrate my 500th post is with a great big "Welcome Back" to Frank, the best player in White Sox history.

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 06:05 PM
A perfect example of Frank's attitude. He has no desire to play first despite the numbers that suggest he should. Forget about what is best for the team. A manager forces him to play first and as soon as he boots a few balls, he in a funk and you have an issue in the clubhouse. We've been there before.

Uh, he almost BEGGED to play first this last season and there were reports from ST and early season about him being down because JM wouldn't play him there.

Yes, 5 years ago, he tried to convert to a full time DH. But he has obviously changed his mind.

JRIG
10-30-2003, 06:06 PM

Where were you in 2003 when Frank basically begged to play 1st base? He even said he hit better when he didn't think about hitting. That comment has no basis in fact unless you're living in 1998.

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
If you had been in the White Sox Clubhouse the past two years, you would know Frank is about the furthest thing from a "clubhouse cancer" there is. Frank's teammates were always in good spirits around him and never seemed afraid to approach him. I can't speak for the mid-90s, but recently Frank seems to be a great presence in the clubhouse.

On a lighter note, a good way to celebrate my 500th post is with a great big "Welcome Back" to Frank, the best player in White Sox history.

Yeah, I remember the stories from ST about him sending Carlos Lee back to the weight room to do his workout before letting Lee leave the stadium for the day.

BTW, 501 is the magic number... :D:

Twin Killing
10-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by JRIG

JRIG congrats on your 500th. I've got a long way to go. Happy to be part of it. As for this issue, I know it is safe to say we all hope Frank has a monster 2004 season.

SoxOnTop
10-30-2003, 06:42 PM
I always found it strange that Manual practically begged Thomas to play 1st base in early '01 and '02, but Thomas wasn't interested.

Then this year when Frank is begging to play the field and produces big numbers while playing there, Manual refuses to put him out there.

I have yet to find anyone who understood this odd phenomenon.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Hooray! The Frank bashers are in full retreat!! And the biggest Frank basher of all has sold his house and is moving to Sacramento, too!!!

:jerry
"I can't imagine any reason short of an emergency for playiing Frank at 1B."

:ohno
"We can't imagine how you kept your job six years being this boneheaded."

:bandance:

Nick@Nite
10-30-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by kraut83

:KW
"Yeah, what kraut83 said!"

:bcolon
"which town has the best pizza... Chicago or New York?"

:reinsy
"Brooklyn, er... I mean Chicago!"

"New York!

emaholic
10-30-2003, 07:35 PM
Yay! :D: :D:

gosox41
10-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by havelj
Thomas staying with Sox
By Teddy Greenstein
Tribune staff reporter

More details to come.

Glad to hear it. Now can we all stop complaining about a guy with 40+ HR's and a .400 OBP being a drag on the payroll.

Bob

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Glad to hear it. Now can we all stop complaining about a guy with 40+ HR's and a .400 OBP being a drag on the payroll.

Bob

You don't know bc2k too well.

:smile:

mikef1331
10-30-2003, 09:13 PM
YEAH!!! Frank is coming back! :D: Now it's time to get that elusive 3rd starting pitcher who stays for more than 1 year.

RKMeibalane
10-30-2003, 09:30 PM
Now that Frank is back, the only other thing that needs to happen is his playing first base more often.

Note to the next Sox manager:

PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST! PUT FRANK AT FIRST!

(Runs away to hide.)

Jjav829
10-30-2003, 10:31 PM
I know everyone would like to believe that Frank made this decision based solely on how much he wants to play for the White Sox, but I think one of the biggest reasons for his return hasn't really been mentioned much. Yes, Frank gets $6 million this year and it's possible that he may have gotten that elsewhere or maybe even 1 or 2 million more. However, by exercising this option he now guarantees himself $8 million next year, regardless of what he does this year. He could hit .220 with 25 HR's and 60 RBI and he still has a cool 8 mil coming to him next year if he wants it. He has no pressure to perform so that he can get a raise, he automatically has it coming. The year after that, hes got 10 million coming if he wants it, and even if he were have an awful year, the Sox would still have to give him 3.5 mil to get rid of him. It's clearly a no brainer. Frank would have to be an absolute idiot to not exercise the option. The only way he would decline it is if he decided that he didn't care about money, but just wanted to go someplace where he had a better chance at winning.

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I know everyone would like to believe that Frank made this decision based solely on how much he wants to play for the White Sox, but I think one of the biggest reasons for his return hasn't really been mentioned much. Yes, Frank gets $6 million this year and it's possible that he may have gotten that elsewhere or maybe even 1 or 2 million more. However, by exercising this option he now guarantees himself $8 million next year, regardless of what he does this year. He could hit .220 with 25 HR's and 60 RBI and he still has a cool 8 mil coming to him next year if he wants it. He has no pressure to perform so that he can get a raise, he automatically has it coming. The year after that, hes got 10 million coming if he wants it, and even if he were have an awful year, the Sox would still have to give him 3.5 mil to get rid of him. It's clearly a no brainer. Frank would have to be an absolute idiot to not exercise the option. The only way he would decline it is if he decided that he didn't care about money, but just wanted to go someplace where he had a better chance at winning.

OHMIGAWD! FRANK WANTS TO BE GUARANTEED TO MAKE MONEY JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MLB PLAYER! THAT GREEDY, SELFISH, DIRTY BASTARD!!!

Man, I hate it when HOF-caliber, career Sox players decide to accept their underpaid option and continue to stick with the team...

Jjav829
10-30-2003, 10:40 PM
OHMIGAWD! FRANK WANTS TO BE GUARANTEED TO MAKE MONEY JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MLB PLAYER! THAT GREEDY, SELFISH, DIRTY BASTARD!!!

Man, I hate it when HOF-caliber, career Sox players decide to accept their underpaid option and continue to stick with the team...

Wow, way to ****ing overreact. I'll just leave now before I say something I'll regret.

Some people just can't comprehend simple points. Bye.

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Wow, way to ****ing overreact. I'll just leave now before I say something I'll regret.

Some people just can't comprehend simple points. Bye.

It was a joke. Heck, I even used teal...

RKMeibalane
10-30-2003, 10:41 PM

Well said. To be honest, I don't really care why Frank has decided to stick around. I'm just glad that he is. Whether some want to admit it or not, Frank is an important part of the team. The Sox will need his bat in the lineup if they are going to contend next season.

I do agree that pitching and defense are the most important components of winning baseball, but I also believe that a strong offense can indirectly contribute to having strong pitching and defense. If a pitcher knows that he's going to get a fair amount of run support each night, he can go to the mound feeling less pressure than he would otherwise. This makes his job easier.

Frank has been a big part of the Sox offense for several years. I see no reason why that should not continue. Thanks for staying, Frank!

sox_fan_forever
10-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Woohooo! Thank you, Frank! I heard about this earlier today, but this was my first chance to post.

minastirith67
10-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Thank you Frank. You gave me one of my favorite Sox memories by hitting that homer over my head against Tampa Bay. I know it was a blowout, but thanks anyway. :hurt

idseer
10-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by havelj
Thomas staying with Sox
By Teddy Greenstein
Tribune staff reporter

More details to come.

'frankly', i'm surprised so many here sound surprised that he's exercised his option. i don't think there was ever much doubt. he'd have been a fool to do anything else.

DSpivack
10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by idseer
'frankly', i'm surprised so many here sound surprised that he's exercised his option. i don't think there was ever much doubt. he'd have been a fool to do anything else.

True, but with the White Sox, expected good things should be enjoyed. There are too many unpleasant surprises.

ondafarm
11-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Now all the White Sox need is a good lead-off hitter, to resign Alomar (a good #2 hitter), keep the rest of their power surge together, add some pitching, and most of all hire a decent manager. Nothing much at all.