PDA

View Full Version : The Miami Marlins!

StepsInSC
10-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Not a huge deal, but a possibility...

Marlins to Change Name if New Field Built (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=8&u=/ap/20031030/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_marlins_ballpark)

batmanZoSo
10-30-2003, 12:55 PM
They almost went with "Miami" in the first place and I say they made the right choice. Alliterative team names just sound kinda dumb in my opinion. Especially "Miami Marlins." I always liked "California Angels," but Disney wanted to advertise their stupid amusement park I imagine. What the hell is Anaheim anyway? That's like saying Oak Park White Sox if the stadium was there.

I don't see them having too many ballpark problems now, lol. As long as they keep the team together somewhat. They're gonna lose a few guys, that's a given, but as long as they remain competitive the World Series excitement will carry over for a few years.

LuvSox
10-30-2003, 01:00 PM
I can dig it. I'm a Dolphins fan too, so it's cool. Two championships for Miami? That's too much to think about, I have to lay down.

:)

Iwritecode
10-30-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
I can dig it. I'm a Dolphins fan too, so it's cool. Two championships for Miami? That's too much to think about, I have to lay down.

:)

Yea, that's 2 more than Chicago has seen in almost 100 years.

Now I have to go lay down...

MiamiSpartan1
10-30-2003, 01:54 PM
Personally, I prefer the Miami Marlins. That was the name of an old minor league team that played here in the 50's and 60's. The only reason the team was not called that at the beginning, was because Wayne Huizinga was not a fan of Dade County at all. That's why he built the Panther's arena in NW Broward near the Everglades...
This has never been Florida's team. Central Florida has the Rays..( :D: ), and north Florida has always followed the Braves.
Frankly most people don't care what they're called as long as they stay.

greenpeach
10-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MiamiSpartan1
Personally, I prefer the Miami Marlins. That was the name of an old minor league team that played here in the 50's and 60's. The only reason the team was not called that at the beginning, was because Wayne Huizinga was not a fan of Dade County at all. That's why he built the Panther's arena in NW Broward near the Everglades...
This has never been Florida's team. Central Florida has the Rays..( :D: ), and north Florida has always followed the Braves.
Frankly most people don't care what they're called as long as they stay.

I got news for you Miami. Northern & Central Florida belongs to the Braves. A couple of years ago, I saw the Braves in Tampa. They had a crowd of around 25,000. I would hazard to guess that 22,000 were pulling for the Braves. I'm not sure if the D-Rays have a market. LOL

On a side note, can the Spartans win this weekend against the Wolverines ? God, I hope so. :smile:

longshot7
10-30-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
They almost went with "Miami" in the first place and I say they made the right choice. Alliterative team names just sound kinda dumb in my opinion. Especially "Miami Marlins." I always liked "California Angels," but Disney wanted to advertise their stupid amusement park I imagine. What the hell is Anaheim anyway? That's like saying Oak Park White Sox if the stadium was there.

the Angels were changed to Anaheim due to the agreement they had with the city of Anaheim for stadium renovations in the early 90's - it had nothing to do w/ disney's theme parks.

I like Miami Marlins too, btw - teams should promote the city they're from - not the whole state, esp. when the state has more than one team.

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Watch them build an Updated Replica of Old COmiskey down there.........

Steve Bartman
10-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Jeb Bush is not Mayor Daley, and he will not raise taxes for a new stadium. I think this is wishful thinking by a lot of fans.

john2499
10-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

And that is with 2 teams!!! :whiner: :whiner:

FarmerAndy
10-30-2003, 04:56 PM
They should be the Miami Marlins. Florida is a big state. The capital city, Tallahassee, is as far away from Miami as Kansas City is from Chicago. The distance between Jacob's Field in Cleveland and Comiskey park is shorter than the distance between Pro Player Stadium and Florida's capital building. Needless to say, the Marlins don't represent the state of Florida. They are Miami's team.

I always thought it was stupid when the Angels were known as the California Angels. California is huge. 4 major cities and 5 MLB teams. How could you call yourself the California Angels?

MiamiSpartan1
10-30-2003, 05:30 PM
...plus Miami Marlins sounds a LOT better than the Portland Marlins or Washington Senators does!! :D: :D:

I hope the Spartans are able to pull it out againt SCum...I'll be sitting at the Sandbar in Coconut Grove watching it....GO STATE!

CubKilla
10-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Watch them build an Updated Replica of Old COmiskey down there.........

Why do you say that?

Might have gone over my head :?:

rmusacch
10-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Uh Chicago has had much more than 2 championships in almost 100 years. In just the last 17, they have had 7.

greenpeach
10-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MiamiSpartan1
...plus Miami Marlins sounds a LOT better than the Portland Marlins or Washington Senators does!! :D: :D:

I hope the Spartans are able to pull it out againt SCum...I'll be sitting at the Sandbar in Coconut Grove watching it....GO STATE!

Are you part of the South Florida alumni association ? I know Tony Mauro the prez.

LongLiveFisk
10-30-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I always thought it was stupid when the Angels were known as the California Angels. California is huge. 4 major cities and 5 MLB teams. How could you call yourself the California Angels?

I completely agree. I always thought it was egotistical for teams to try to represent some larger geographic area than they actually do. (Like the New England Patriots?! What the?) I don't think you should have to play IN a big city to be named after it, but be a nearby area or suburb. (Like the Texas Rangers, to me, should be the Dallas Rangers--and I agree that the Florida Marlins should have had "Miami" in the name to begin with). So, in keeping with this theme, do you think the reason they are the Anaheim Angels is because the Los Angeles Angels would have sounded too stupid? (I think Los Angeles in Spanish already means "the angels" so it would have been redundant). And the Illinois White Sox would be an awful name.

Don't mind me...I'm tired and I'm rambling :smile:

batmanZoSo
10-30-2003, 11:07 PM
LongLiveFisk,

The Patriots name is actually pretty fitting. They have fans in New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, probably Vermont, I don't know about Connecticut, they might be New York fans. You could justifiably call the Red Sox the New England Red Sox, same with the Bruins and Celtics.

MiamiSpartan1
10-31-2003, 07:07 AM
yes, I'm a member of the Alumni Association, but I do not know Tony...I don't get to too many functions, because that darn job keeps getting in the way....most of them are up in Ft Lauderdale or Palm Beach, also....