PDA

View Full Version : Any reports on the Guillen interview?

mike squires
10-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Any media coverage on the Guillen interview yesterday?

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
Any media coverage on the Guillen interview yesterday?

FOX Sent Dane Placko over to Comiskey to report on this,
but was Redirected inroute over to WaterTowerPlace, Little
Darren Baker was in awe of some Pumpkin sculpture and had
some things to say.

dickallen15
10-30-2003, 09:11 AM
I read that Williams and Ozzie met at O'Hare, and Ozzie said it went well. It was a courtesy interview, he's not getting the job.

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
I read that Williams and Ozzie met at O'Hare, and Ozzie said it went well. It was a courtesy interview, he's not getting the job.

heh heh, they met at the HarryCarays bar in the terminal,
had Ozzie write his info on a cocktail napkin, bought Ozzy a
HotDog, and put him back on the 2pm flight back to Miami.
Way to get the bottom of a Candidates Resume KW!

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
heh heh, they met at the HarryCarays bar in the terminal,
had Ozzie write his info on a cocktail napkin, bought Ozzy a
HotDog, and put him back on the 2pm flight back to Miami.
Way to get the bottom of a Candidates Resume KW!

Just how far do the Sox have to go to "get to the bottom of (Ozzie's) resume"? He played in Chicago for most of his career. Heck, he even played with KW at one point in time. I think they know him pretty well...

dickallen15
10-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Just how far do the Sox have to go to "get to the bottom of (Ozzie's) resume"? He played in Chicago for most of his career. Heck, he even played with KW at one point in time. I think they know him pretty well...

If they were serious about him being a managerial candidate, he would have got a little more than a 2 hour interview at the airport. Maybe Kenny asked Ozzie if he would coach 3rd base next season. I still think the Sox may surprise and not hire Gaston.

fledgedrallycap
10-30-2003, 11:04 AM
If they were serious about him being a managerial candidate, he would have got a little more than a 2 hour interview at the airport. Maybe Kenny asked Ozzie if he would coach 3rd base next season. I still think the Sox may surprise and not hire Gaston.

I sure hope you are right. Gaston just doesn't excite me, and I realize there isn't much out there in terms of so-call "great candidates", but I think the Sox can do better. My gut still thinks Randolph is going to get the job - it is erily quiet on the storm front when it comes to discussing him. Which means either he is a strong candidate and KW is keeping a lid on the situation or he isn't a factor at all.

Did anyone else see the article where Gene Kelly said no to both us and the O's:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/7135872.htm

Rocky Soprano
10-30-2003, 11:04 AM
THIS REALLY SUCKS!

:angry:

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Me Personally, would have a TON OF QUESTIONS to ask Ozz
and I know it would take a Whole Day of Just hanging out with him, Talking Baseball, Talking Strategy, asking his opinions.
Id then take him to a restaurant somewhere in Chicago, have a few drinks, get to know him as a MGR Candidate, Not as Ozzy the former sox player. I think after an entire day, just dedicated to picking his brain, would have worked. Its an insult if someone doesnt even bother having me at the office.

hold2dibber
10-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Its an insult if someone doesnt even bother having me at the office.

Don't jump to conclusions based upon that fact. Could be it was Ozzie's idea - maybe he had a flight he needed to catch to get home, or maybe he didn't want the distraction of having to say hi and talk to and chat with all the front office personnel he knows from his days with the team. Maybe they didn't want the media to know where they were to avoid that distraction. Maybe KW did his 1st interview with all the candidates away from the Park. Who knows?

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap

Did anyone else see the article where Gene Kelly said no to both us and the O's?

Theres Speculation that Fred Astaire Never cared for
Jerry Reinsdorf, and that Kelly turned us down quietly
for that reason mostly, out of respect for Astaire

fledgedrallycap
10-30-2003, 11:12 AM
My bad, Tom Kelly that is. Just a natural flow when typing... :D:

soxtalker
10-30-2003, 11:15 AM
If they were serious about him being a managerial candidate, he would have got a little more than a 2 hour interview at the airport. Maybe Kenny asked Ozzie if he would coach 3rd base next season. ...

That was my read on the situation. Gaston has already had two interviews (one with JR, I believe), so the writing is pretty much on the wall. This is a contrast to the way things were handled when JM was hired. The interviews were real, and he won the job through the interview process. I didn't start out pulling for Ozzie in this situation, but I must admit that I've moved very strongly in that direction over the past few weeks. I just don't see Gaston as being able to get the players to work hard (the aggressive "grinders" that KW talked about).

I also don't see them trying to get Ozzie for 3rd base coach. Why would Gaston want someone not of his choosing to be sitting there as a potential replacement?

Gammons Peter
10-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Would Guillen accept going to the minors, maybe replace Backman, and be in line to be the "next "manager

dickallen15
10-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
Would Guillen accept going to the minors, maybe replace Backman, and be in line to be the "next "manager

I would think the bigger question would be whether the new manager would go for it.

Gammons Peter
10-30-2003, 11:59 AM
The new manager has no say who the Sox hire as minor league coaches. The new manager is going to sign a 1, 2 or 3 year contract and when it is up he will either re-sign if he has been a success or be fired if he hasn't. If he's fired, Oz could replace him.

batmanZoSo
10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Gammons Peter,

That would be a good scenario. My hope is Gaston for three years, then Ozzie or Molitor, whoever's available or in the latter's case, whoever wants the job. But I don't think we necessarily have to quarrantine Ozzie on our bench or in the minors so he doesn't have a managing gig by the time Gaston's on his way out. In three years, I imagine he'll still be in a supporting role and we'll be able to get him. Do you see a coach that young getting managing offers from anyone but his former team? The thing is, I wanna win now and Gaston has a better track record. No, he has a track record. We shouldn't take any chances on rookie managers or run-of-the-mill good ol' boys like Buddy Bell.

duke of dorwood
10-30-2003, 01:14 PM
and I know it would take a Whole Day of Just hanging out with him, Talking Baseball, Talking Strategy, asking his opinions.
Id then take him to a restaurant somewhere in Chicago, have a few drinks, get to know him as a MGR Candidate, Not as Ozzy the former sox player. I think after an entire day, just dedicated to picking his brain, would have worked. Its an insult if someone doesnt even bother having me at the office.
You have to know what strategy is to ask about it.

:KW

Interview puppet

thepaulbowski
10-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Wasn't the name George Brett being thrown around earlier? Did anything come of that, or was just speculation? He's a guy I would LOVE to have.

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
You have to know what strategy is to ask about it.

Interview puppet

If this remark was a veiled smack at KW, Id assume Kenny would outline his strategy (of keeping most of the core players/or going with 2nd tier guys) and would see how Ozzys skills and leadership would "FIT" among them. I sure Hope KW didnt just ask him why Ozzy should want to manage his team.

If this remark was a veiled smack at my knowledge of baseball, I would bring up different games of the Marlins this season, and ask what they were thinking or what they had in mind when they went with certain lineups/play calling. I dont know if that was
"knowing" strategy as much as it is "differentiating".

baseballboy
10-30-2003, 02:47 PM
If this remark was a veiled smack at KW, Id assume Kenny would outline his strategy (of keeping most of the core players/or going with 2nd tier guys) and would see how Ozzys skills and leadership would "FIT" among them. I sure Hope KW didnt just ask him why Ozzy should want to manage his team.

When did Ozzie change the spelling of his name?

bc2k
10-30-2003, 03:14 PM
This offseason I've finally realized what a second class organization the Sox are. Why do we have discussions about which midget is taller (Cito or Ozzie) when we should be outraged at the consideration of these two, let alone their interviews.

This managerial search would have been conducted very differently if the Sox's objective was to give their team the best chance at winning the Series.

I don't know why I wasted time arguing for Ozzie when he wasn't one of my top 10 choices to begin with. Why are we programmed to think winning managers like Torre and Pinella are pipedreams? You can think of your own answer, it'll be the same as mine.

KingXerxes
10-30-2003, 04:23 PM
The entire concept of "interviewing" for a manager is a laughable joke. Baseball is a game of ebbing and flowing momentum. The trick is - as a manager - when momentum shifts your way, you do everything to keep it going. A bad manager will let momentum slide through his fingers (See: Neal Cotts starting in Yankee Stadium, Jose Paniagua pitching inning #9 of a blow-out of Minnesota). When it slips away - figure out a way to get it back. There is no way you're going to tell how a guy is going to be able to handle these intangibles by sitting around and talking to him in an interview format - even if you spend the entire day with him and have a few beers.

If we're going to take a first year guy (Guillen) we'll see how it turns out as the year goes on. With established guys (Gaston et al) you had better already know what you're getting - because sitting across from you for six hours answering tactical questions isn't going to do squat.

KW : Ozzie..........a question in two parts. Why did Jack McKeon pinch hit for Dontrelle Willis on the night of June 6th, when the Marlins were trailing the Cardinals 5 - 2, yet it was only the 6th inning, and two did you agree with that move when it was made, and if not did you say anything to either McKeon or Willis?

OG: I don't remember the game you are talking about.

KW: So then is it safe to assume that the answer to the third part of my previous two-part question is "no", that you didn't say anything to either McKeon or Willis?

OG: Like I said - I don't remember, but - just for yucks - let's say I talked to Willis - but not McKeon, then doesn't that turn your two-part question, which originally had three parts, into a four part question? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

KW: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA That's right Ozzie - I guess I never really thought about it that way. HA HA HA HA You're so funny.

OG: HA HA HA HA HA Thank you Kenny. HA HA HA HA HA HA

KW: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

OG: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

KW:HA HA...........................Okay now back to the interview. Ozzie, during the pinch hit at bat which I spoke of in my previous question, when the count was 3 -1 it looked as though the take sign was on. First off, was this your idea...............if so then why...........if not then did you speak to Jacck McKeon blah blah blah blah blah.

THIS ENTIRE PROCESS COULD BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST DISASTERS EVER AT 35TH AND SHIELDS.

longshot7
10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
pretty sweet dude. But I think a bigger disaster at 35th & Shields is when new mgr Cito decides he wants his 3rd base coach to be Terry Bevington.

Hangar18
10-30-2003, 04:42 PM
kingxerxes....that was funny

TheRockinMT
10-30-2003, 04:48 PM
I have to say, just from my viewpoint, that the managerial search has been very disappointing. If in fact Kenny Williams wants Gaston then hire the guy and don't fool around with a phony search. I am not really fired up about this process at all. I would have liked to see some new and big time names in this search. All we ever get is retreads. It woud have been super to see names like Carlton Fisk, Tony Larussa, Al Lpoez, Babe Ruth et al. I know one thing and that's that I am not excited about the possibility of Cito Gaston being the Sox field leader.

CubKilla
10-30-2003, 05:45 PM

I heard the same thing. I also heard that the White Sox were going to interview Grady Little. Anyone else hear about this?

Nick@Nite
10-30-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I heard the same thing. I also heard that the White Sox were going to interview Grady Little. Anyone else hear about this?

No. But I wonder if KW plans on interviewing Whitey Herzog, too. :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Theres Speculation that Fred Astaire Never cared for
Jerry Reinsdorf, and that Kelly turned us down quietly
for that reason mostly, out of respect for Astaire

Yes, this is true but there is far more to the story as well. Gene Kelly turned down the Sox, but there is way more to the Fred Astaire bit.

When Fred was a young talent, he was under contract to this big band leader. Fred wanted out, but the big band leader wouldn't hear of it. So Fred calls his goombah, Jerry back in Brooklyn. Jerry sends KW to California to try and swing a deal, except the band leader still refuses to negotiate a release. So KW comes back, but this time with Luke Abrazzi. He assures the band leader that either his signature or his brains would be on the contract.

As for what happened to Gene Kelly's horse... you don't want to know.

:reinsy
"That's my family, Kay. Not me."

:)

TornLabrum
10-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
As for what happened to Gene Kelly's horse... you don't want to know.

I heard he changed his named to Larry and got a job on The Score.

Jjav829
10-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I heard he changed his named to Larry and got a job on The Score.

Hehe. The whole Larry Horse thing is hilarious, IMO. :smile:

steff
10-31-2003, 07:39 AM

You are unreal Henry. They have meeting/conference rooms at O'Hare that would make your jaw hit the floor. We do recruiting there all the time to the tune of $20K for 6 hours to rent.

Hangar18
10-31-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by steff
You are unreal Henry. They have meeting/conference rooms at O'Hare that would make your jaw hit the floor. We do recruiting there all the time to the tune of $20K for 6 hours to rent.

Really? you dont supposed they used one of those do you?
the Media is making it sound like they DIDNT use one of those
it was a "quick" interview, bought ozz a happy meal,
and out the door

steff
10-31-2003, 07:43 AM

I heard this too Killa.. I heard it was to be this Sunday.

To be honest I wouldn't be suprised if they're interviewing Willy Wonka and Bozo the Clown, too. They'd fit right in.

steff
10-31-2003, 07:45 AM
Really? you dont supposed they used one of those do you?
the Media is making it sound like they DIDNT use one of those
it was a "quick" interview, bought ozz a happy meal,
and out the door

Ahhh.. the media. The biased media. I'm sure they reported the TRUTH about the Sox, right...? Whatever fits your argument, right?

Ya know what.. I'll see if I can find out exactly where they interviewed. I know this is just eating you up inside and my goal is to make sure you get a good nights sleep...

Hangar18
10-31-2003, 07:51 AM
your the best steff

steff
10-31-2003, 12:05 PM
your the best steff

I know...

CubKilla
10-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Ya know what.. I'll see if I can find out exactly where they interviewed.

A little bird told me that it was a bar inside the O'Hare Airport Terminal :gulp:

Hangar18
10-31-2003, 12:14 PM
I know...

Good. Now get off my case heh heh :smile:

steff
10-31-2003, 12:52 PM
A little bird told me that it was a bar inside the O'Hare Airport Terminal :gulp:

I'm told it was a conference room next to the Captian's resturant on the 3rd floor in the United Terminal.

steff
10-31-2003, 12:53 PM
Good. Now get off my case heh heh :smile:

Now what fun would that be, Henry?

You're obsessed!! You need to relax or you'll be downing Nitro for that heart condition you're bound to be diagnosed with any day now.. :D:

CubKilla
10-31-2003, 12:59 PM
I'm told it was a conference room next to the Captian's resturant on the 3rd floor in the United Terminal.

Could be the same thing. One man's bar is another man's conference room :D:

steff
10-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Could be the same thing. One man's bar is another man's conference room :D:

Normally, I agree with you :D: . However those areas up there are NICE!! We rented one of the smaller ones right before our convention to do the driver meetings and they are unreal. Mohogany tables and bars. Bathroom attendants. The whole 9 yards. The resturant up there serves lobsters that you pick out yourself - and yeah.. so does Red Lobster... but they have them in bulk in that nasty tank at the front of the resturant- ICK!. We had cavier (NASTY!!) at the "cheaper" resturant on the 1st floor. It's pretty upscale.

CubKilla
10-31-2003, 05:50 PM
The resturant up there serves lobsters that you pick out yourself - and yeah.. so does Red Lobster... but they have them in bulk in that nasty tank at the front of the resturant- ICK!

Mmmmm..... Pinchy (veiled "SIMPSON'S" reference)

Do they serve CornDogs there?

steff
10-31-2003, 05:54 PM
Mmmmm..... Pinchy (veiled "SIMPSON'S" reference)

Do they serve CornDogs there?

LMAO!!! I don't think so.

OMG Killa.. you have me crying here!!

DrCrawdad
11-01-2003, 12:06 AM
I still believe that Gaston will get the job.

All along, Ozzie Guillen has said he believes he has a legitimate chance to be named manager of the White Sox.

He just might be right.

Sources said Guillen flew back to Chicago on Friday to meet with team Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

It was Guillen's second interview with the Sox in three days. He met with general manager Ken Williams on Wednesday for more than four hours...

LINKY (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031031soxloaiza,1,5835341.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

crector
11-01-2003, 05:02 AM
Unfortunately, it appears that the choice for the next Sox manager has come down to either a tired old man who plays the race card or an unqualified character who, in his playing days, would not take walks because he evidently thought that it would violate his manhood.

Meanwhile, there are qualified ex-managers for such teams as Houston and Boston who neither JR or KW seem to have considered at all.

The next few years may have the result of Sox fans looking back on the JM years with fond nostalgia.

steff
11-01-2003, 06:09 AM
This is totally unconfirmed, but supposedly Little is rumored to be attending the Bears game with JR Sunday for an "unofficial" interview.

gosox41
11-01-2003, 08:31 AM

Today's Trib said it was a 4 hour interview at the airport.

Also said Ozzie is coming back for a second interview.

Bob

DrCrawdad
11-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Today's Trib said it was a 4 hour interview at the airport.

Also said Ozzie is coming back for a second interview.

Bob

According to the Sun-Times the first interview was in Naperville, not the airport. KW didn't want to drive too far from his comfortable Naperville-area home.

Had I known that Guillen and KW were meeting in the area I'd have met them for lunch.

mikef1331
11-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know if Ron Kittle has been considered for the managers job? He coached the Schaumberg Flyers for a few years and took them to the playoffs. He may not have major league experience, but at least he has some experience managing a minor league team... that's more experience than Ozzie has. :smile:

MRKARNO
11-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by mikef1331
Does anyone know if Ron Kittle has been considered for the managers job? He coached the Schaumberg Flyers for a few years and took them to the playoffs. He may not have major league experience, but at least he has some experience managing a minor league team... that's more experience than Ozzie has. :smile:

Let's just put it this way: Barring a huge surprise the manager's job is Cito Gaston's to lose and the only person he could lose it to is Ozzie

TornLabrum
11-02-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Let's just put it this way: Barring a huge surprise the manager's job is Cito Gaston's to lose and the only person he could lose it to is Ozzie

If the second interview is with The Chairman, as I've heard it will be, then Ozzie has a chance, since Ozzie is The Chairman's man.

steff
11-02-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
According to the Sun-Times the first interview was in Naperville, not the airport. KW didn't want to drive too far from his comfortable Naperville-area home.

Had I known that Guillen and KW were meeting in the area I'd have met them for lunch.

Kenny doesn't live in Naperville..

dickallen15
11-02-2003, 06:39 AM
Both of these 2 guys are scary. Gaston was fired as the Toronto manager because he didn't show much emotion. Their GM at the time compared Gaston's style of baseball to English Tea time. It sounds very familiar. Kenny played for Gaston and, of course, loves him. If anyone on recent White Sox teams became a GM, they would hire Manuel in a heartbeat, they love playing for him. Ozzie is just a buffoon. Does anyone really think he could handle a pitching staff? He's more interested in the 18 year old girls in the stands. Ozzie may be a good 3rd base coach, I have no idea, I haven't watched many Marlins games, but to make him a manager would have to be the silliest thing Kenny and Jerry have ever done. It would be even sillier than promoting Terry Bevington.

DrCrawdad
11-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Kenny doesn't live in Naperville..

I know. IIRC KW lives in Joliet or Plainfield. I wrote "Naperville-area" and if he lives in one of those two it's certainly closeby. Plus KW's meeting was in Naperville.

My point though was more in relation to where the meeting took place. Seems as though the newspapers aren't in agreement where the meeting took place.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
....My point though was more in relation to where the meeting took place. Seems as though the newspapers aren't in agreement where the meeting took place.

My guess would be Stuckey's. :redneck

"Help yourself to another pecan roll, Ozzie."

:hawk
"I luvvvv pecan rolls..."

:DJ
"Hmm Mmm."

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-02-2003, 11:48 AM
ESPN said KW is going to make an announcement tomorrow:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1652223

soxnut
11-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Both of these 2 guys are scary. Gaston was fired as the Toronto manager because he didn't show much emotion. Their GM at the time compared Gaston's style of baseball to English Tea time. It sounds very familiar. Kenny played for Gaston and, of course, loves him. If anyone on recent White Sox teams became a GM, they would hire Manuel in a heartbeat, they love playing for him. Ozzie is just a buffoon. Does anyone really think he could handle a pitching staff? He's more interested in the 18 year old girls in the stands. Ozzie may be a good 3rd base coach, I have no idea, I haven't watched many Marlins games, but to make him a manager would have to be the silliest thing Kenny and Jerry have ever done. It would be even sillier than promoting Terry Bevington.

I really don't understand the negativity about Ozzie..why? Because he actually likes to have fun..OMG someone on the Sox who actually smiles, WANTS to be part of the Sox organization, has heart and knows the game?????

He does have a good coaching staff around him, which I would think he would use to his advantage....... :cool:

TornLabrum
11-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I really don't understand the negativity about Ozzie..why? Because he actually likes to have fun..OMG someone on the Sox who actually smiles, WANTS to be part of the Sox organization, has heart and knows the game?????

He does have a good coaching staff around him, which I would think he would use to his advantage....... :cool:

What the Ozzie bashers don't realize is that when he and Ventura were both with the club, they were the team leaders. As far as lack of intelligence is concerned, the people he's coached for say just the opposite, but hell, what do they know?

dickallen15
11-02-2003, 01:43 PM
The people he has coached for is 2. Torborg and McKeon. What are the odds they would say he is not ready to manage? Pretty low I would guess. He has been a 3rd base coach for 2 or 3 years, Willie Randolph has been one for at least 8 or 9. I think Ozzie would bring an energy to the team, but he has no idea how to handle a pitching staff, and he's not particularly a student of the game. His hiring as manager would be a disaster, and I don't think its going to happen. If you need to look for negative things about Ozzie, you won't get them from media interviews asking current employers about him. Enough crap went on with him while he was here, which was covered up, that Ozzie even said the first thing Reinsdorf asked him is if he had matured. Reinsdorf and Williams know enough about him, more than anyone on this board, to determine he wasn't a serious candidate for this job. But now a huge number of fans and media have gotten behind him, and they probably have extra ticket sales dancing in their heads, clouding their judgement. The irony about this is that Ozzie is the one who said the Sox didn't need the fans, the same fans who may get him this job.

Brian26
11-02-2003, 02:02 PM
What the Ozzie bashers don't realize is that when he and Ventura were both with the club, they were the team leaders.

In 1990, wasn't he "El Cap-i-tan" along with Fisk?

dickallen15
11-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Mariotti wrote about the time he ripped Frank, and Ozzie went out of his way to thank him for it. Of course this means Marriotti wants Ozzie to get the job. Doesn't sound like a leader to me, just a jealous immature kid, which is exactly what we would be getting.

joecrede
11-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Guillen is the best choice.

The other candidates have bigger flaws than having no managerial experience. Francona and Bell are proven losers. Gaston has two World Series rings, but during his stay in Toronto he had an adversarial relationship with the media that included him accusing certain members of the media of racism.

Gaston could represent a PR nightmare something this team can afford a lot less than the managing nightmare Guillen could be.

As far as Guillen being ready to manage, he was a shortstop for 15 years in the big leagues that alone is enough to give him the benefit of the doubt about knowing the game. Whether he will be a good manager no one will know until he gets the opportunity, but I certainly think he is capable of being one.

dickallen15
11-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Guillen is the best choice.

The other candidates have bigger flaws than having no managerial experience. Francona and Bell are proven losers. Gaston has two World Series rings, but during his stay in Toronto he had an adversarial relationship with the media that included him accusing certain members of the media of racism.

Gaston could represent a PR nightmare something this team can afford a lot less than the managing nightmare Guillen could be.

As far as Guillen being ready to manage, he was a shortstop for 15 years in the big leagues that alone is enough to give him the benefit of the doubt about knowing the game. Whether he will be a good manager no one will know until he gets the opportunity, but I certainly think he is capable of being one.

Using the same logic about Bell and Francona, Joe Torre would never have managed the Yankees. I wouldn't mind Bell. If you go what baseball people publically say about Ozzie, those same people would probably rank Bell above him. He really had crappy teams in Detroit and Colorado, and while I admit he's far from perfect, I think he is the best candidate for this job. Don Kessinger was a shortstop for 15 years in the big leagues and he couldn't manage a lemonade stand. Ozzie is saying all the right things, I'd admit to that. If I didn't know some of the crap that went on while he played here, I would be excited about him. Ozzie + Frank=Big trouble. The only reason I can see for Williams to hire Guillen would be that it would increase the odds that Frank would walk away from $8 million next year.

TornLabrum
11-02-2003, 10:34 PM
The people he has coached for is 2. Torborg and McKeon. What are the odds they would say he is not ready to manage? Pretty low I would guess. He has been a 3rd base coach for 2 or 3 years, Willie Randolph has been one for at least 8 or 9. I think Ozzie would bring an energy to the team, but he has no idea how to handle a pitching staff, and he's not particularly a student of the game. His hiring as manager would be a disaster, and I don't think its going to happen. If you need to look for negative things about Ozzie, you won't get them from media interviews asking current employers about him. Enough crap went on with him while he was here, which was covered up, that Ozzie even said the first thing Reinsdorf asked him is if he had matured. Reinsdorf and Williams know enough about him, more than anyone on this board, to determine he wasn't a serious candidate for this job. But now a huge number of fans and media have gotten behind him, and they probably have extra ticket sales dancing in their heads, clouding their judgement. The irony about this is that Ozzie is the one who said the Sox didn't need the fans, the same fans who may get him this job.

The odds that Torborg would say he's not ready to manage are zero. Torborg said a few weeks ago in an interview on The Score that Guillen is ready to manage.

TornLabrum
11-02-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
In 1990, wasn't he "El Cap-i-tan" along with Fisk?

Yes, he was. Which puts the lie to all of the people who simply think of him as a buffoon. I guess they know more about the Sox clubhouse back then than the rest of us, huh? Or they'd like to think they do.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Yes, he was. Which puts the lie to all of the people who simply think of him as a buffoon. I guess they know more about the Sox clubhouse back then than the rest of us, huh? Or they'd like to think they do.

Torborg named him co-captain, it wasn't as if there was a player vote. Just because you are a co-captain, doesn't mean you are not a buffoon. If they hire him, I only hope they give him one guaranteed year, I have the feeling we would be going through this process again next year.

dickallen15
11-03-2003, 07:46 AM
There's another great quote by Ozzie in the Sun-Times. He said he usually played hard. So if he's manager I quess the Sox will usually play hard.