PDA

View Full Version : Manny Ramirez has been put on waivers...

Nick@Nite
10-30-2003, 07:22 AM
... which means some team must pay out $100M of his remaining contract to claim him, if I'm correct. If nobody picks him up, he stays in Boston.

$100M to play for the real Sox?... oh well.

Manny in Yankee pinstripes? Whatever.

JDP
10-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Yeah, anyone can just pick him up now, but that anchor of a salary comes along with him.

His contract:
2004: $20.5
2005: $20.0
2006: $19.0
2007: $18.0
2008: $20.0
2009: $20.0 (club option)
2010: $20.0 (club option)

Ramirez is also owed $4.0 a year from 2004-2010 in no-interest deferred money (ie: $24.0) and also $10.0 from his original $16.0 signing bonus.

Would be amazing to see Manny Ramirez in a White Sox uniform but there is absolutely no way with this salary structure of Manny's.

gosox41
10-30-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
... which means some team must pay out $100M of his remaining contract to claim him, if I'm correct. If nobody picks him up, he stays in Boston.

$100M to play for the real Sox?... oh well.

Manny in Yankee pinstripes? Whatever.

It would be stupid to pick uop Manny Ramirez at those kind of salary numbers. The thought is ridiculous, especially considering that as of right now Magglio Ordonez is the right fielder.

Plus the guy is a head case. He's a waste at $100 mill. over 5 years.

Bob

LuvSox
10-30-2003, 08:21 AM
I say Texas picks him up. :D:

thepaulbowski
10-30-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by JDP
Would be amazing to see Manny Ramirez in a White Sox uniform but there is absolutely no way with this salary structure of Manny's.

White Sox complain about Big Frank, but compared to this idiot he's a saint. I would NOT would this clubhouse cancer on my team. Especially for that kind of money, and knowing he can't play if he gets a cough. :whiner:

crector
10-30-2003, 10:37 AM
The only difference between Ramirez and Sosa is that Sosa strikes out a lot more often. Otherwise, they're equally committed to playing for their own statistics and the hell with what's for the good of their teams.

Fitting in that Ramirez plays for the New England Cubs while Sosa plays for the Wrigleyville Fake Sox.

doublem23
10-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
I say Texas picks him up. :D:

Only if they get into another bidding war with themselves. :D:

Tekijawa
10-30-2003, 10:50 AM
If you thought Everett was bad in center you'd puke watching Ramirez play Left... the guy is a waste of a Jersey defensively!

:gulp:

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 10:51 AM
If no one picks him up, I guess that means Boston won't be able to trade him either, since teams can pick him up now without having to give up anything (except 100 million dollars, of course).

Unless other teams might want to unload their overpaid garbage on Boston, before taking Ramirez on.

ChiSox14305635
10-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
If you thought Everett was bad in center you'd puke watching Ramirez play Left... the guy is a waste of a Jersey defensively!

If I'm not mistaken at one point in time, this guy was like Sosa. Had a very strong arm in right, but below average defensive skills. I guess that arm went kaput as well.

By the way, Welcome, Tekijawa. :smile:

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

Hey, welcome aboard! :D:

SoxxoS
10-30-2003, 11:52 AM
:reinsy

"A hundred WHAT??????? Did you say million?

AAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Man that is funny! My sides hurt now."

joecrede
10-30-2003, 12:30 PM
If they thought Ramirez was a headcase before wait until no one claims him and he has to return to Boston knowing they want to get rid of him.

Wonder if the Mets or Orioles might be interested.

Konerko on waivers . . . I like the sound of it.

Foulke You
10-30-2003, 12:49 PM
No way do the White Sox even consider Manny. I don't think Manny would fit in here anyway. He puts up impressive offensive numbers but Carlos Lee is better defensively and had some comparable numbers to Manny last year and he doesn't have the lazy attitude or huge salary of Manny.

Carlos Lee
.291 avg 31 HR 113 RBI 499 slg%

Manny Ramirez
.325 avg 37 HR 104 RBI .587 slg%

The money is better spent on pitching. However, I think the Yankees will jump all over this since they are really the only team that can take on that salary. It will be interesting to see what Boston has in mind for that money should someone claim Manny. Perhaps they are trying to free up money to pursue Bartolo Colon and take their chances with Ortiz and Jeremy Giambi in the outfield next year? If Bartolo turned down $12 million a year to play for the White Sox I would imagine he is looking for at least $15 million a year on the free agent market.

JoseCanseco6969
10-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
If they thought Ramirez was a headcase before wait until no one claims him and he has to return to Boston knowing they want to get rid of him.

Wonder if the Mets or Orioles might be interested.

Konerko on waivers . . . I like the sound of it.

I love the sound of that! But do you actually think anyone would take him?

Dadawg_77
10-30-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
No way do the White Sox even consider Manny. I don't think Manny would fit in here anyway. He puts up impressive offensive numbers but Carlos Lee is better defensively and had some comparable numbers to Manny last year and he doesn't have the lazy attitude or huge salary of Manny.

Carlos Lee
.291 avg 31 HR 113 RBI 499 slg%

Manny Ramirez
.325 avg 37 HR 104 RBI .587 slg%

The money is better spent on pitching. However, I think the Yankees will jump all over this since they are really the only team that can take on that salary. It will be interesting to see what Boston has in mind for that money should someone claim Manny. Perhaps they are trying to free up money to pursue Bartolo Colon and take their chances with Ortiz and Jeremy Giambi in the outfield next year? If Bartolo turned down $12 million a year to play for the White Sox I would imagine he is looking for at least $15 million a year on the free agent market.

No the Red Sox are trying to get out of that contract. With Epstein in charge they will be the high priced Oakland A's. But if the Yankees pick him off of waivers, the Red Sox if they can will pull him off.

If the Sox pick him up, DH him. Frank at first. Paul at first in Charlotte or another MLB team.

Deadguy
10-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

If the Sox pick him up, DH him. Frank at first. Paul at first in Charlotte or another MLB team.

Now that would be nice. Manny and Frank are two of the greatest right handed hitters of all time. Although spending 20 million on a DH is a bit too much.

JoseCanseco6969
10-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Now that would be nice. Manny and Frank are two of the greatest right handed hitters of all time. Although spending 20 million on a DH is a bit too much.

how about Ellis Burks at DH, anyone???

duke of dorwood
10-30-2003, 10:01 PM
It would be the Thomas & Belle fiasco all over again

Jjav829
10-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
No the Red Sox are trying to get out of that contract. With Epstein in charge they will be the high priced Oakland A's. But if the Yankees pick him off of waivers, the Red Sox if they can will pull him off.

He was actually placed on irrevocable waivers so if the Yankees want him, hes theirs.

No way do I want the Sox to pick him up. If people think Maggs' 14 million is an albatross, what would Manny's 20+ mil be? Add in the fact that hes a complete clubhouse cancer, and the way he dogs in sometimes, and it shouldn't even be in consideration. I doubt anyone will pick him up. If anyone were to, I could possibly see the Orioles doing it (though the Mets could be a very slight possibility). They are clearing somewhere are 30 million in expiring contracts and have been in desperate need of star power for some years which Manny could fill. But most likely, I think he stays a Red Sox.

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
He was actually placed on irrevocable waivers so if the Yankees want him, hes theirs.

No way do I want the Sox to pick him up. If people think Maggs' 14 million is an albatross, what would Manny's 20+ mil be? Add in the fact that hes a complete clubhouse cancer, and the way he dogs in sometimes, and it shouldn't even be in consideration. I doubt anyone will pick him up. If anyone were to, I could possibly see the Orioles doing it (though the Mets could be a very slight possibility). They are clearing somewhere are 30 million in expiring contracts and have been in desperate need of star power for some years which Manny could fill. But most likely, I think he stays a Red Sox.

I can see the O's doing it after all, they just freed up Belle's money... :D:

joecrede
10-31-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
But most likely, I think he stays a Red Sox.

I tend to agree, but the question is why would the Red Sox waive him without some knowledge of a team wanting to picking him up? The risk of him returning as a disgruntled employee so to speak is too great

crector
10-31-2003, 03:02 AM
I tend to agree, but the question is why would the Red Sox waive him without some knowledge of a team wanting to picking him up? The risk of him returning as a disgruntled employee so to speak is too great

He's already a total head case, so it doesn't really matter if he's disgruntled or not.

Jjav829
10-31-2003, 08:29 AM

Like crector said, hes already a head case so I'm not sure how much it will matter. I think they may be trying to send a message to other teams that he is available, hoping that they are able to work out a trade with someone like the O's where the Red Sox pay a chunk of his salary but still rid themselves of 14 mil or so to use to address their pitching. But if they don't trade him, then yeah things could get even worse with Manny.

JDP
10-31-2003, 08:45 AM
If no one picks him up, I guess that means Boston won't be able to trade him either, since teams can pick him up now without having to give up anything (except 100 million dollars, of course).

Say .. what? How does that thinking go? If noone picks him up, then Boston cannot trade him since teams can pick him up? Ummm...

Teams have until today at some time to take Ramirez and his salary w/o giving up any players or having to trade for him. After that 48 waiver window, he is no longer available to pick up unless he is traded for.

Deadguy
10-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by JDP
Say .. what? How does that thinking go? If noone picks him up, then Boston cannot trade him since teams can pick him up? Ummm...

Teams have until today at some time to take Ramirez and his salary w/o giving up any players or having to trade for him. After that 48 waiver window, he is no longer available to pick up unless he is traded for.

Umm, yeah, I know. You misinterpretted what I said.

voodoochile
10-31-2003, 11:56 AM
Umm, yeah, I know. You misinterpretted what I said.

It doesn't mean he is untradeable, just that Boston might have to pick up part of his salary to make it happen.

mandmandm
10-31-2003, 12:06 PM
I bet Boston wishes they were an NFL team today.