PDA

View Full Version : "Bargain" free agents

SoxxoS
10-30-2003, 12:28 AM
There was a whole article on ESPN insider, but I am unable to post that...Commentary by Jerry Crasnick.

Not in any order-

1. LaTroy Hawkins. Has eletric stuff. Probably best suited for what he did in Minnesota...be a set up man.

2. Mike Cameron. Cameron stunk offensively at Safeco Field, but he wasn't alone: Even Edgar Martinez hit .248 at home and .339 on the road this season. True, Cameron is a strikeout machine. But he steals bases and will get on-base at a .350 clip or thereabouts. He might thrive in a different park.

3.Kelvim Escobar. Escobar, a groundball pitcher, was 8-2 with a 2.84 ERA on grass this season, and 5-5 with a 5.51 ERA on turf. Most of the carnage was inflicted at SkyDome in Toronto. You have to figure he'll be better post-rug.

4. Shannon Stewart.He's not real good defensively," said an AL assistant GM. "He can't throw at all. He runs pretty well, but he doesn't steal bases anymore. And I'm not sure how much teams will pay for a corner guy who doesn't hit home runs."

5. Luis Castillo.But Castillo did hit .314 with an on-base percentage of .381, and he's a terrific defensive second baseman. While Boston's Todd Walker should also generate interest, Castillo is more the classic middle infield solution, with his ability to bat leadoff, score 100 runs and turn a double play. Suceeded in only 21 of 40 SB attempts.

6. Miguel Batista. (I like this guy a lot) Teams value Batista for his versatility and resilient arm. He's a serviceable fourth or fifth starter and capable of pitching middle or long relief. "He'll do anything you ask," said a scout. "If you don't think Millwood is a No. 1 or 2, why pay him $10-12 million when you can get this guy for $5 million?"

7. Our own Flash Gordon.He's one curveball away from his elbow popping," said a scout. That's the cynical viewpoint. The good news is, Gordon is four years removed from his last Tommy John surgery and looking like a man who's anxious to close again. He pitched three days in a row on two occasions, once in August and September, and closed with a rush: Opponents batted .182 against him after the All-Star break.

8. John Thomson. Thomson's fastball can be pretty straight, but baseball people will always be intrigued by a 6-3, 200-pounder who throws 90-plus. "Stuff-wise, there's a lot to like," said an AL executive.

9. Shigotoshi Hasegawa.Hasegawa converted 16 of 17 save opportunities as Kaz Sasaki's fill-in last year in Seattle. Although he has setup man's stuff, he's shown he has the fortitude to close games.

10. Raul Ibanez.One American League front-office man estimates that Ibañez will get two years and $8 million, or even three and $13 million if the bidding gets hot. Reggie Sanders still looks like a one-year rental, even after hitting 31 homers in Pittsburgh, and Ibañez is more attractive than Jose Guillen, who can't shake a reputation for being immature and a problem in the clubhouse. "Guillen is a Grade A knucklehead," said another AL executive.

11. Joe Randa.Randa is a solid, professional guy who (pause for cliché) is great in the clubhouse. It's no wonder the Royals want to keep him. In five years with Kansas City, Randa has averaged 85 RBI a year. He closed with a rush last year, hitting .344 after the All-Star break. He turns 34 in December and might be a tick below average in the field, but he benefits from the fact that third base is a position of need for so many clubs.

12. Brian Anderson. (NO!)One AL stat-cruncher dissected Anderson's numbers this year, concluded that his 3.78 ERA was an aberration and predicted he'll be more in line with his career ERA of 4.58 next season. A National League scout, in contrast, called Anderson a "poor man's Jamie Moyer."

voodoochile
10-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Can you post the link too, so people who have Insider can read the whole story and so we are covered on copyright issues.

Thanks for not copying and pasting the whole thing, BTW... :D:

SoxxoS
10-30-2003, 12:45 AM
Here you go. (http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1649399)

bc2k
10-30-2003, 01:13 AM
I agree on Miguel Batista.

soxfan26
10-30-2003, 01:41 AM
A third vote for Batista here.

mikef1331
10-30-2003, 02:41 AM
good post :smile:

I think Batista would do well on the Sox.

Castillio sounds good to, provided Alomar doesn't return.

ohalloran
10-30-2003, 07:06 AM
I always hear good things about Batista.

hold2dibber
10-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Another possible bargain FA that intrigues me is Pat Hentgen. He has had arm troubles in the past, but was healthy all year last year and put up some nice numbers. He can start or pitch long relief and he'd be pretty cheap, I'd think. He threw 160 innings fpr the Orioles last year and allowed only 150 hits. He had a 4.09 ERA and 1.29 WHIP. He made $1.2 million. I'm guessing he could be had for less than $2 million per year for 2 years. He'd be a nice option at the back end of the rotation.

JRIG
10-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Another possible bargain FA that intrigues me is Pat Hentgen. He has had arm troubles in the past, but was healthy all year last year and put up some nice numbers. He can start or pitch long relief and he'd be pretty cheap, I'd think. He threw 160 innings fpr the Orioles last year and allowed only 150 hits. He had a 4.09 ERA and 1.29 WHIP. He made $1.2 million. I'm guessing he could be had for less than $2 million per year for 2 years. He'd be a nice option at the back end of the rotation.

I'm interested by Hentgen quite a bit. Another name that interests me, if healthy, is Pedro Astacio. Anyone heard anything on what he might be looking for or if there is some interest in him from any team?

34 Inch Stick
10-30-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm with you on Hentgen. I'd feel much more comfortable with Hentgen in the rotation that Schoenwiess. I also like Wilson Alvarez. However, we really should be talking about a front of the rotation starter as well.

SoxxoS
10-30-2003, 10:49 AM
I saw an awful lot of D'Backs games this year, and Bautista impressed the hell out of me (but I wouldn't let my D'Back fan roommates know that). The guy throws hard. Probably hits 97 on the gun. Can fill in the bullpen or start. Would be a LOT better option than Show at the 5th starter position.

Not to mention he shut the Yankees down in the World Series in 2001.

hold2dibber
10-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I'm with you on Hentgen. I'd feel much more comfortable with Hentgen in the rotation that Schoenwiess. I also like Wilson Alvarez. However, we really should be talking about a front of the rotation starter as well.

Alvarez is very interesting as well, although my guess is that the Dodgers will try to deal Odalis Perez and re-sign Wilson. It'll be very interesting to see how much Alvarez commands as a free agent.

Foulke You
10-30-2003, 02:20 PM
I want Latroy Hawkins for that bullpen. Latroy's stuff is just filthy (95 mph with movement) and he has really settled into that setup role. Right handed Hawkins for the 7th and 8th innning setup and lefty Marte in the 9th to close would shorten a lot of games for the Sox into 7 inning affairs. Not to mention it would weaken Minnesota who is your main competitor in the division. Check out these numbers from Latroy since going into the setup role:

6W-0L 2.13 E.R.A. 63K 15BB 79 IP

9W-3L 1.86 E.R.A. 75K 15BB 80 IP

KW should make Hawkins a priority if he plans on letting Gordon and Sullivan walk away as free agents. If the Mets take Koch off of our hands, then signing Latroy is a no brainer.

CubKilla
10-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I want Latroy Hawkins for that bullpen. Latroy's stuff is just filthy (95 mph with movement) and he has reallyh settled into that setup role. Right handed Hawkins for the 7th and 8th innning setup and lefty Marte in the 9th to close would shorten a lot of games for the Sox into 7 inning affairs. Not to mention it would weaken Minnesota who is your main competitor in the division. Check out these numbers from Latroy since going into the setup role:

6W-0L 2.13 E.R.A. 63K 15BB 79 IP

9W-3L 1.86 E.R.A. 75K 15BB 80 IP

KW should make Hawkins a priority if he plans on letting Gordon and Sullivan walk away as free agents. If the Mets take Koch off of our hands, then signing Latroy is a no brainer.

I'm with you there. But I'm hearing the NYY are seriously inquiring about Hawkins' services. If that is the case, you can axe him from any White Sox plans and you can remove him from the "bargain" list since GS will outbid the highest bidder if he wants LH.

DSpivack
10-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I'm with you there. But I'm hearing the NYY are seriously inquiring about Hawkins' services. If that is the case, you can axe him from any White Sox plans and you can remove him from the "bargain" list since GS will outbid the highest bidder if he wants LH.

Let's say Steinbrenner and Cashman [assuming he stays] do like Hawkins; how much would he be expected to make? $4-6 Mil?

Let's say that Steinbrenner and Cashman are not interested for whatever reason, how much could he be had for? Would many other teams, besides the Yankees, be very interested and thus drive up the price, even in this market?

Even if NYY doesn't want him, I still don't see him as a bargain guy.

batmanZoSo
10-30-2003, 04:11 PM
We need Batista and Hasegawa.

You gotta have an insurance plan in case Koch was the "real deal" last year. If he isn't, we've got a great setup tandem with Shiggy and Damaso.

I would get Batista if we don't get a Millwood or any other ace. We'd be alright with 5 servicable starters, instead of one ace and three servicable guys.

And the two combined probably make less than Bartolo did last year.

jlh0023
04-22-2004, 01:47 PM
i like batista too

StepsInSC
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
i like batista too

talk about digging stuff up

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by jlh0023
i like batista too

Um...I do too.

Why are all these old threads being dug up?

KingXerxes
04-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Again - I'll take the blame. I read the "Bargain Free Agents" thread, and I though I would try and start pulling up - in increasing order of "incorrectness" - posts from the past. It got to be way to cumbersome, and it really wasn't all that funny anyway, and now this makes about the fifth time I've explained/apologized for this waste of time, but again - I'm sorry.